• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm really hoping I can plough the lady with the weird hat.

Kind of disappointed that you can't do that with the hookers, whats the point of gathering flowers if I can't trade them for sex.

Zeliard

ameratsu said:
Really? That's about the best thing someone could have said here. I didn't get that feeling from watching combat videos, but if that's the case I will definitely pick this up.

Thanks!

The rhythms of combat in Demon's Souls and Witcher 2 are very similar, as are certain basic concepts (e.g. it's a good idea to try and get behind your enemies because you do a more-damaging backstab move, and there is also a talent you can get which boosts backstab damage further).

As far as the melee goes I play almost exactly like I do in Demon's Souls. Use enemies' own whiffs against them, do lots of rolling around, try to get behind for the backstab, etc. Enemies in TW2 also move in a sort of pattern, so you can start timing their attacks like you do in Demon's Souls. There's even a parry & riposte system that functions similarly to DS, down to parrying draining stamina/vigor, though you have to unlock the riposte part in a talent tree first.

I don't know if they've publicly said so or not but there seems little doubt CDPR took what I would have to call significant influence from Demon's Souls. It would be hard to believe they didn't; the similarities in combat amount to more than just coincidence.

Exuro said:
I'm still not liking it. How do I know that there isn't a better mutagen down the road? This makes me not want to spend any and ignore it entirely. I understand choices and consequences but for items that I'm getting tons of these things and it's very annoying that I won't be using any due to not wanting to gimp my character. If these were rare items I would understand but I have a lot of them in my pack and they'll all just go to waste like junk items.

It's to give players a decision between whether they want a slight but permanent boost immediately, or to wait for something better later on. It basically plays on your own patience as a player. If you don't want to possibly limit your character in the long-term with a lesser mutagen then the simple answer is not to use one.

Personally, I'm just ignoring mutagens entirely until I get to some of the later levels, when I have a large assortment of mutagens and more mutagen slots and can make a more effective decision. There's no real reason you have to mess with them earlier on.

Zeliard said:
Are any of you trying out Insane your first time through?

I want to laugh at people who did then got fried by the dragon's fire in the prologue :p

Here I am. Laugh at me. I was able to pass the battle on the roof unscathed (after dying a number of times at the ballista), then me and my pride were charred by that flying beast. Demon's Souls was less pitiless.

How About No said:
The bonus extras for the Steam version were under Tools the whole time? oh lol
No, they just put it up today. They didn't have all the materials ready at launch and are still currently waiting for CD Projekt to get them some re-encoded videos. But everything else is currently up in tools now.

Riposte

Reposting this, because I didn't get a response. Thinking I posted it too late at night.

Riposte said:
Okay, I am looking at using the saves in the OP. (I originally thought there was going to be a save creator. There still might be, I don't have my game yet.) I have some important questions to ask and the answers will probably be Witcher 1 spoilers, so hide/mark accordingly.

1. Generally speaking, how much does the romance and political choice matter? I don't want specifics, just give me something between "not at all" and "a whole lot".

2. How much do the small choices matter, if at all? Two potentially important optional deaths come to mind:
Berengar
(might be a glitch to prevent this death?) and
Adda

3. Does anyone know which of the smaller choices were made in these save files? Personally I prefer to have as many people alive as possible, since there is rarely ever a downside to that.

Zeliard

Versipellis said:
Here I am. Laugh at me. I was able to pass the battle on the roof unscathed (after dying a number of times at the ballista), then me and my pride were charred by that flying beast. Demon's Souls was less pitiless.

Haha yes. I think they even call that part "Trial By Fire." Jokesters.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Riposte said:
1. Generally speaking, how much does the romance and political choice matter? I don't want specifics, just give me something between "not at all" and "a whole lot".

2. How much do the small choices matter, if at all? Two potentially important optional deaths come to mind: Berengar(might be a glitch to prevent this death?) and Adda.

1. There have been no references to those decisions yet. I expect that the political choice will have an impact later in the game, but the romance option doesn't seem to matter. Triss hasn't said anything about me choosing Shani.

2. The first one is a gitch, he dies no matter what, and the second one was briefly referenced by King Foltest but that was the extent of it

most of us are probably still early in the game, so it's hard to answer these questions. I'm in ch. 1 and so far the choices haven't really made a significant difference

edit - oops the spoilers broke, but I think it's OK to spoil TW1 in here

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Alright I need some help.

Chapter 1, the Troll quest:

I've agreed to help find the murderers and I've talked to Zoltan, who told me to look into people's houses for a troll head trophy. However, I swear I've searched every damn house in this town and I can't find anything. Am I missing something obvious?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Pankaks said:
Alright I need some help.

Chapter 1, the Troll quest:

I've agreed to help find the murderers and I've talked to Zoltan, who told me to look into people's houses for a troll head trophy. However, I swear I've searched every damn house in this town and I can't find anything. Am I missing something obvious?
Hint:
Did you try visiting houses in the village right outside Flotsam?

And the outright answer:
It's at Sendler's place, the craftsman/poker player.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ExMachina said:
Hint:
Did you try visiting houses in the village right outside Flotsam?

Doh.

I figured they wouldn't mess with Trolls given that Cedric gives them advice about the dangers of the forest and what not.

I was wondering if my computer can run this game, can anyone help me ?

Intel I7 930 2.80GHz
12 GB RAM
GTX 570
Windows 7 64 bit

So those are my specs, thank you :) I really can't wait....

Van Buren

For those doing Chapter 1, there might be a bug if the last of the dice-poker quests is completed before a particular side-quest. To be completely safe, defeat the final player in dice poker only after exhausting all the side quests.

Edit:
ArbiterMajor said:
I was wondering if my computer can run this game, can anyone help me ?

Intel I7 930 2.80GHz
12 GB RAM
GTX 570
Windows 7 64 bit

So those are my specs, thank you :) I really can't wait....
Those specs will easily run the game at solid framerates at Ultra. Just don't bother with ubersampling.

Zeliard

Van Buren said:
For those doing Chapter 1, there might be a bug if the last of the dice-poker quests is completed before a particular side-quest. To be completely safe, defeat the final player in dice poker only after exhausting all the side quests.

Good to know, I was gonna finish that one up. :p

TheExodu5 said:
Nice thread title.

KuGsj.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sethos said:
So, how did I invert RS again on the 360 controller?

Check other Witcher 2 thread OP for answer. Just keep in mind I had to change the user.ini and not the QWERTY.ini as the instructions mentioned.

Also Steam people. Where are the DLC stuffs? I keep reading about people getting some DLC quest, but Steam has no option for that I am seeing. Also what about the manual/gameguide/soundtrack/other pre-order incentives?

Salaadin

Brandon F said:
Check other Witcher 2 thread OP for answer. Just keep in mind I had to change the user.ini and not the QWERTY.ini as the instructions mentioned.

Also Steam people. Where are the DLC stuffs? I keep reading about people getting some DLC quest, but Steam has no option for that I am seeing. Also what about the manual/gameguide/soundtrack/other pre-order incentives?

Some people are saying that the Witcher 2 extras are located under "Tools"

As far as DLC goes, goto the game launcher and click Register. Create an account and get to the activation screen. Your activation code should be auto filled. Click ok.

Go back to the launcher, click DLC. Download and install.

Geoff9920

Brandon F said:

Launch the game and you'll see a greyed out DLC menu option and a register game menu option in the Witcher 2 launcher. Register your copy - but don't worry about the cd key as steam will supply it - and you'll be able to access the DLC menu. This is where you can get access to the troll quest DLC.

Sethos

Banned
Brandon F said:

How can I change the User.ini when the options described as needing change doesn't exist there?

Pancakes

Sethos said:
How can I change the User.ini when the options described as needing change doesn't exist there?

I think it had something to do with setting the mouse/joystick sensitivity to a negative value.

antonz

Wonder if we will see a Witcher spin off on the 3DS. CDProjekt was at the 3DS conference yesterday according to one of the Marketing Managers at Aksys

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
antonz said:
Wonder if we will see a Witcher spin off on the 3DS. CDProjekt was at the 3DS conference yesterday according to one of the Marketing Managers at Aksys

Now that would be interesting. Witcher in 3D would be awesome.

Brandon F

Sethos said:

You went to the 'Documents' folder on your HDD for the .ini right? NOT the Witcher 2 install directory. All you are doing is changing one value in the user.ini of that folder to negative to invert the gamepad.

Edit: Seems you figured it out. Some of us apparently have different user.ini instructions than the instructions list. Hence my alternative instructions. Many of us in the other thread had to go about my above means is all.

Hixx

Oh wow, this is so much better than the first one. The combat is surprisingly excellent & punishes you for being lazy rather than being bad. Love it. Looting is a bit of a pain though, you have to be in a really particular position for the prompt to appear :(

Brandon F

Geoff9920 said:
Launch the game and you'll see a greyed out DLC menu option and a register game menu option in the Witcher 2 launcher. Register your copy - but don't worry about the cd key as steam will supply it - and you'll be able to access the DLC menu. This is where you can get access to the troll quest DLC.

Grumble. Registered the game and now the DLC option is asking me for a redeem code.

raphier

Banned
Brandon F said:
Grumble. Registered the game and now the DLC option is asking me for a redeem code.
it isn't asking. that code input is just poorly placed. Just press download? (if the item is on the list on left menu, then you own it)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
turns out they forgot to put launcher.exe into the russian version of the game. I shit you not. It's not invisible, it's just not there.

That was the last time I bought the localisation. Waiting for a patch downloading GOG launcher from shady places.

Exuro

Maybe I just suck at exploring but hours after being in Chapter 2 I keep finding new areas. Also got to kill a
Golem!. Got awesome armor from a chest he was near too!

Also maybe it's just me getting better at the game but it's a lot easier now. I can still get owned if I play it like a hack and slash but it's more forgiving it feels.

Darklord said:
As much as I'm liking this game the stealth fucking SUCKS.

Good thing it's optional. I killed everyone in that part.

For those doing the stealth part (during Prologue):

While in the dungeon, make sure to go down the stairs to the room they brought Lady La Valle out of. Inside is the executioner, and he's a mini-boss. The room has Red and Blue Meteorite ore in it, so well worth beating him. I beat him on Hard so it's not that bad.

Is anyone else playing this on Hard? Normal was just way, way too easy. Still trying to figure out what everyone was complaining about, I expected to get my ass kicked. Even on Hard it's not overly challenging.

BIG tip for anyone having trouble: Use Quen! It's easily the best sign, since it gives you 'magic armor' that'll absorb 2-3 extra hits before you start taking real damage.

Brandon F

Nothing is listed on the left column(where the scroll bar is) in the DLC launcher option. It's totally blank! The redeem code option is blank too and when I hit Redeem, nothing happens.

Thoughts?

RPS: Wot I Think: Witcher 2 Review

Surprisingly in line with my impressions of the game so far...I am disappointed about the length (although I'm exploring every nook and cranny so it'll take me much longer) and the ending (another person not satisfied with the ending, not good- although I'm hoping that there'll be a meaty expansion pack).

Also, apparently the combat gets easier later on...

(._.)

Banned
ugh, feel like a fickle noob for doing this but I impulsively purchased this just now even though I haven't even come close to finishing the first one. Game just looks too fun and graphically amazing. Is it necessary to play the first Witcher first? Will it really be that big of a deal if I start the 2nd one now?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(._.) said:
ugh, feel like a fickle noob for doing this but I impulsively purchased this just now even though I haven't even come close to finishing the first one. Game just looks too fun and graphically amazing. Is it necessary to play the first Witcher first? Will it really be that big of a deal if I start the 2nd one now?

play it to the end, it gets better and better.

Wallach

Gully State said:
RPS: Wot I Think: Witcher 2 Review

Surprisingly in line with my impressions of the game so far...I am disappointed about the length (although I'm exploring every nook and cranny so it'll take me much longer) and the ending (another person not satisfied with the ending, not good- although I'm hoping that there'll be a meaty expansion pack).

Also, apparently the combat gets easier later on...

About what I expected out of this game, I think.

Except the bit about doors. Really? Dumbasses.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
About what I expected out of this game, I think.

Except the bit about doors. Really? Dumbasses.

That's done due to the way the game streams the world and building interiors and such.

(._.) said:

You don't need to play the first to enjoy the second but playing the second before the first one probably will kill any motivation for you to actually playing through the first.

(._.)

Banned
subversus said:
play it to the end, it gets better and better.
I usually shelf a game if I am not really into it after three hours. The Witcher was one of those games. Mainly the combat wasn't exciting enough for me as silly as that sounds. I like timing based but not in modern games. I only like it in older CRPGs. Guess I'm gonna just go ahead and play The Witcher 2 ~_~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom