• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
(._.) said:
I usually shelf a game if I am not really into it after three hours. The Witcher was one of those games. Mainly the combat wasn't exciting enough for me as silly as that sounds. I like turn based but not in modern games. I only like it in older CRPGs. Guess I'm gonna just go ahead and play The Witcher 2 ~_~
Turn based? I don't think that was The Witcher you played...

Manager

I guess it's kind of a "duh" moment, but I'd recommend any noob to read the manual, on Steam it's located on the game page. It's short and explains a lot, very useful for the combat moments. Must be the first manual I've read for 10 years.

Is there any negative impact if you (early prologue spoilers)
you suck at stealth and beat the crap out of all the guards during the dungeon escape?

Zeliard

Oh how even more laughable Kirkwall now seems after adventuring through just a small portion of TW2's game world. A basic NPC's house in Flotsam is more atmospheric than the entirety of Kirkwall, and that's no exaggeration.

Luthos

Sir Garbageman said:
Is there any negative impact if you (early prologue spoilers)
you suck at stealth and beat the crap out of all the guards during the dungeon escape?
No, only thing I noticed
is Roche (sp?) yelling at you for not doing it quietly.

Wallach

(._.) said:
I usually shelf a game if I am not really into it after three hours. The Witcher was one of those games. Mainly the combat wasn't exciting enough for me as silly as that sounds. I like turn based but not in modern games. I only like it in older CRPGs. Guess I'm gonna just go ahead and play The Witcher 2 ~_~

The first game isn't turn based at all...

Deadly

For those who finished chapter 1:
Did anyone side with Roche? I sided with the Scoiatel and I'm wondering what siding with Roche does. Is the beginning of Chapter 2 the same?

Also did anyone complete Melitele's Heart and Mystic River?
I haven't encountered any trolls and I can't find the 2nd boat when it says "Find an opportunity to balblabla"

Van Buren

Gully State said:
RPS: Wot I Think: Witcher 2 Review

Surprisingly in line with my impressions of the game so far...I am disappointed about the length (although I'm exploring every nook and cranny so it'll take me much longer) and the ending (another person not satisfied with the ending, not good- although I'm hoping that there'll be a meaty expansion pack).

Also, apparently the combat gets easier later on...

A couple of things from that linked review -

Apparently the reviewer found the combat frustrating initially, but then again, he does say that he avoided the crafting and alchemy systems. I don't entirely agree with ignoring a significant part of the underlying combat mechanics and then noting that the combat is unbalanced.

His complaint about the writing injecting modern-science terms is something I disagree with entirely. Sapkowski's style is to inject these seemingly out-of-place words that seem at odds with what is the 'standard' writing style for the fantasy genre. That said, he does mention that he is not a fan of fantasy games, and so his expectations for the genre might be a bit off.

I doubt the length of the game is anything to worry about depending on the playstyle. I'm just shy of 20 hours, and I'm still in Chapter 1. If I had just followed the quest markers without exploring every nook and cranny in the game's organic world, that 24 hour game time would have seemed about right.

Overall, it's still a positively gushing review of the game from a source that can be a hit-and-miss when it comes to RPGs. If I remember right, their opinion on Witcher 1 was quite unfavorable, as was the case with New Vegas.

Brigandier

Nice OT, This is one absolutely amazing game to look at and to play, I took the plunge of building a gaming PC recently and I feel like I'm playing next gen I'm lost for words.

Van Buren said:
His complaint about the writing injecting modern-science terms is something I disagree with entirely. Sapkowski's style is to inject these seemingly out-of-place words that seem at odds with what is the 'standard' writing style for the fantasy genre. That said, he does mention that he is not a fan of fantasy games, and so his expectations for the genre might be a bit off.
The game takes it further than anything in the books, well from anything that I have managed to read. So it can seem out of place either way.

And the combat is very punishing in the beginning no matter what if you don't abuse the Quen sign.

Facism

ran around for ages without a silver sword. Did that hospital mission without it. Derp derp bloody crafter sells silver ore herrrrrppp. So much easier now ;p

Facism said:
ran around for ages without a silver sword. Did that hospital mission without it. Derp derp bloody crafter sells silver ore herrrrrppp. So much easier now ;p
What? You start the game with a silver sword.
NIN90 said:
Is there a point when the other 3 skill trees automatically unlock?
Only have Witcher Training so far.
Yeah it just unlocks at lvl 7 or something.

NIN90 said:
...that get's lost when Geralt STABS A DRAGON IN HIS FUCKING MOUTH
I dunno what was going on because it magically appeared back in the scabbard after the cut scene.

Edit: Oh ok. You lose the witcher's silver sword in that cutscene. Since I had Aerondight equipped it magically appeared back in Geralt's hand after that cutscene. But then again the sword is magical, so whatever.

raphier

Banned
I wish the story has something like TW1- Chapter IV in it. That chapter was god send.
shakespearian with interesting twist. I am sucker for them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, what am I doing wrong here?

First 'Mission', Ballista, ~100 Deaths, Boss Fight a joke.
2nd one, Dragon, didn't even get to the second wooden shelter, because of that stupid flying SOB which keeps hitting me with fire -> instadeath.

Seriously, I like games you actually have to play instead of just running through, but this is insane. On 'Normal' difficulty, by the way.

So, I'm really sure I miss something, what is it? Or is this game really THAT hard
unfair :(
?

At least the essence of it all seems to be damn fun and enjoyable, and I don't want to switch to easy :(

Van Buren

Lostconfused said:
The game takes it further than anything in the books, well from anything that I have managed to read. So it can seem out of place either way.

And the combat is very punishing in the beginning no matter what if you don't abuse the Quen sign.

Does this excessive writing style occur in Acts 2 and up ? I remember that nitroglycerin was mentioned when asking a shopkeeper in Act 1 for explosive bombs. But that reminded me of the numerous scientific conversations with alchemists and Kalkstein in Witcher 1. I actually feel that the writing has been injected with even more personality compared to the already colorful style of the first game, and as a result, it is a welcome improvement. There are numerous easter egg references to the real world, but these I largely take in good spirit, similar to Fallout 2's goofiness.

Regarding combat, the game's punishing when we are still getting used to the mechanics, but it never feels cheap ( except for that Dragon bit ). Anecdotally, I'm playing on hard and rarely used signs during the Prologue, but for Yrden and Igni. I had to revert to a Ninja Gaiden/Demon's Souls mindset to survive, and it was rewarding to emerge the victor by just positioning oneself cautiously, and not overextending one's attack at the expense of self-preservation.

Van Buren said:
Does this excessive writing style occur in Acts 2 and up ? I remember that nitroglycerin was mentioned when asking a shopkeeper in Act 1 for explosive bombs. But that reminded me of the numerous scientific conversations with alchemists and Kalkstein in Witcher 1. I actually feel that the writing has been injected with even more personality compared to the already colorful style of the first game, and as a result, it is a welcome improvement.

Regarding combat, the game's punishing when we are still getting used to the mechanics, but it never feels cheap ( except for that Dragon bit ). Anecdotally, I'm playing on hard and rarely used signs during the Prologue, but for Yrden and Igni. I had to revert to a Ninja Gaiden/Demon's Souls mindset to survive, and it was rewarding to emerge the victor by just positioning oneself cautiously, and not overextending one's attack at the expense of self-preservation.
Still in chapter 1 my self. The combat gets more difficult after the prologue. And its only one conversation that seems out of place where Triss speaks in detail about natural selection and the evolutionary process.

Zeliard

Van Buren said:

Yeah that's the part that reminds me most of Demon's Souls. You have to be very careful when and where you attack. If you don't time enemy attacks and react accordingly, that's when you risk getting hit a bunch. And since Geralt can't interrupt a swing once he's in the act, you have to swing at opportune times. Anyone just jumping in there and clicking wildly is bound to get owned even on Normal.

The whole "no loading screens" thing is a little underwhelming when you're climbing up the 4th ledge in a row to get out of a dungeon, or walking through one of those transition areas at the door into Flotsam. It's cool in some places but I must admit that the sudden pop-in which happens in the transition areas is a bit jarring, I'd almost rather they put a 5 second loading screen there instead.

The combat is still incredible. The best part is that it's hard, but fair. If you get your arse handed to you then try some different tactics (throwing knives and bombs are extremely effective). I'm wondering what it will be like once I get the "group style" talent.

Lostconfused said:
Still in chapter 1 my self. The combat gets more difficult after the prologue. And its only one conversation that seems out of place where Triss speaks in detail about natural selection and the evolutionary process

That wasn't as bad as when she starts talking about cancer cells, like Geralt is supposed to know WTF cancer is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jerk said:
I plan to buy this tonight. I have an 6970, is it safe?

Is that a serious question? The 6970 is one of the best Radeon cards in existence.

jim-jam bongs said:
That wasn't as bad as when she starts talking about cancer cells, like Geralt is supposed to know WTF cancer is.
Oh yeah that too. I forgot about that because after "natural selection" blew my mind I had trouble focusing on what she was talking about.

Darklord

Banned
What save was I meant to use for the import? The latest one that came up for me was called "Order of the Flaming Rose". I couldn't tell if it was a post-game save or not though.

JWong

Banned
Varna said:
Definitely prefer keyboard and mouse but I really wish you could pick up loot like the gamepad.
Sometimes I'm having trouble picking up shiny objects even with mouse. Just can't interact with dem shinies.

Darklord said:
What save was I meant to use for the import? The latest one that came up for me was called "Order of the Flaming Rose". I couldn't tell if it was a post-game save or not though.
That's the zone before the final encounter so all major decisions would be done by then. Safe to use it.

mileS

Varna said:
Definitely prefer keyboard and mouse but I really wish you could pick up loot like the gamepad.

space bar loots everything at once. I wish you could pick what to loot with the controller.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lostconfused said:
Oh yeah that too. I forgot about that because after "natural selection" blew my mind I had trouble focusing on what she was talking about.
There was a huge thread on SA about how Witcher is set in the far future, rather than in a fantasy world.

Van Buren

Lostconfused said:
Still in chapter 1 my self. The combat gets more difficult after the prologue. And its only one conversation that seems out of place where Triss speaks in detail about natural selection and the evolutionary process.

The first game went in-depth into similar conversations especially when the conjunction of the spheres was concerned. It seems to be a natural continuation in style to me. I faintly recall physics-heavy discources on anti-matter in the first game, in fact.

Regarding combat though, the prologue seemed harder since we were stuck in an enclosed space, with limited unlocked abilities, potions, traps, bombs, and so on. In Chapter 1, depending on how creative I wanted to be with crowd control, the combat seemed easier. Those Nekkers attacking furiously was hard to cope with at first since their attack patterns were unpredictable. They don't pose too much trouble now even when not abusing Quen. Those Drowned Dead though - they are a different matter altogether.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
I dunno what was going on because it magically appeared back in the scabbard after the cut scene.

Edit: Oh ok. You lose the witcher's silver sword in that cutscene. Since I had Aerondight equipped it magically appeared back in Geralt's hand after that cutscene. But then again the sword is magical, so whatever.

The same thing happened to me! That's crazy that you actually lose the sword if you didn't import a save!

Lostconfused said:

Didn't Vernon
also get roasted by the dragon in that scene, or was that a lookalike?
NOTHING MAKES SENSE ANYMORE

Kyaw

Where do i get the Diagram for the 'Grapeshot' bomb to explode the nekker nests?

I've checked with almost buying outlets in Flotsam apart from that merchant who yells at you when you try to talk to him at the entrance of Flotsam.

Varna

mileS said:
space bar loots everything at once. I wish you could pick what to loot with the controller.

Holy shit. Thank you. Still wish there was a one button pick up all but this makes thing a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom