• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sethos said:
The prologue. The fact that I know none of the characters, none of the events they are referring to, none of the backstory, nothing whatsoever - I can't enjoy a game like that when I know there IS somewhere I can get all that. Perhaps some can just jump in and enjoy the game but my inner OCD is killing me by just playing Witcher 2 bareback.

This is not necessarily true... a lot of it isn't there in Witcher, Geralt lost his memory so a lot of it is new to him as well.

Solo said:
It definitely feels like the Demon's Souls of 2011.

I'm glad to be a part of it.

It seems like hardly anyone knows of this game.

None of my mates have even heard of it. None of them when I explain it even give a damn AT ALL they think it sounds lame. The think the name sounds crap, then think the sound of a "Witcher" is no fun. They have no idea what they're missing out on.

But, we should all know that we're a small group of people in a very large crowd. It's amazing that a game such as this can be developed - perhaps one of the best games of all time is also one of the most hardcore. This is magnificent!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sethos said:
The prologue. The fact that I know none of the characters, none of the events they are referring to, none of the backstory, nothing whatsoever - I can't enjoy a game like that when I know there IS somewhere I can get all that. Perhaps some can just jump in and enjoy the game but my inner OCD is killing me by just playing Witcher 2 bareback.

Playing the first one will help to a certain extent, but you are thrown into the middle of things in a very similar fashion at the beginning of the The Witcher 1. The excuse is that Geralt has amnesia (and still does in TW2, although some stuff has come back to him). I recommend playing TW1 because it's an awesome game and the back story could enhance your enjoyment of TW2, but damn, I don't think I'd have the willpower to do so if I was in your position.

Are all the nekker nests in the same area? I've been searching for a while now and got 3/4, managed to get the Endrega quest down. Damn those queens were tough, I actually felt like I was taking down a monster. One poke to the back and it's death.

Cday said:
The one archaic holdout in The Witcher 2 is the lip syncing.

That and Geralt moves like shit and looks like it. Very wonky run animation and said animation does not blend well at all when taking/changing directions (as if they only thought of the Keyboard users). Also wish the transition between run/walk wasn't so damn abrupt. Case in point, I loved how Shepard moved in Mass Effect 1 (NOT 2). They even kept those blending animations when using a keyboard for input! Very smooth.
With Geralt, sure it could be considered minor but when you're constantly looking at it, you have to wonder why not more attention could have been given to such a fundamental thing, especially when yeah, the details in those outfits are mind boggling.

woober

Sethos said:

I guess reading the journal could help a bit here!

Sethos

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
This is not necessarily true... a lot of it isn't there in Witcher, Geralt lost his memory so a lot of it is new to him as well.

But the story is still sequel based and is told in a way that assumes you know many of the characters and events. As I said, you might be fine with it but know there's a game that explains characters like Triss who's just there in Witcher 2, I want to know the backstory and who the hell she is.

woober said:
I guess reading the journal could help a bit here!

I ain't reading page up and page down, I'd rather play it

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Honestly i think you should be fine, even without playing the witcher, it's actually similar to what baldurs gate 2 was to the original baldurs gate.

Baldurs gate 2 at the start throws you in a similarly confusing situation but becomes very easy to get acquainted with the rest of the setting and characters even without playing the original game.

Plus my prime complaint is there actually isn't that many call-backs to the first game so far, it feels very self-contained in a sense.

Also the journal is your best friend, should give you all the information you need when it comes to the characters.

Chiggs

Gold Member
AgentOtaku said:
That and Geralt moves like shit and looks like it. Very wonky run animation and said animation does not blend well at all when taking/changing directions (as if they only thought of the Keyboard users). Also wish the transition between run/walk wasn't so damn abrupt. Case in point, I loved how Shepard moved in Mass Effect 1 (NOT 2). They even kept those blending animations when using a keyboard for input! Very smooth.
With Geralt, sure it could be considered minor but when you're constantly looking at it, you have to wonder why not more attention could have been given to such a fundamental thing, especially when yeah, the details in those outfits are mind boggling.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Guess detailed modeling is easier to do that animation?

Sethos

Banned
I'm confused, why are people trying to talk me out of buying another one of their games, playing through it and possibly getting more enjoyment out of its sequel :p ? I'm in no rush, game is still available in 2-3 months.

Ceebs

Sethos said:
But the story is still sequel based and is told in a way that assumes you know many of the characters and events. As I said, you might be fine with it but know there's a game that explains characters like Triss who's just there in Witcher 2, I want to know the backstory and who the hell she is.
The original game sort of throws you into it as well at the start sort of assuming you know who the main characters are from the novels/short stories. Lots of conversations about things that happened in the past that the game sort of assumes you know about. Even the intro movie is just an animated portion of one of the short stories.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Played for over an hour and no freezes. I hope this trend continues.

I read the Crysis comparisons earlier. I can safely say that I am much more impressed with this game than practically any other game I've ever played from a visual standpoint. There is texture detail everywhere. Load times are a dream and despite the very mixed performance reports, it runs more than well. Of course the CAP from ATI should help but I have not been hindered. I don't feel like I'm losing much by not opting for uber either. Perhaps for my next GPU upgrade.

I can safely say that this is definitely my favorite PC RPG ever and working it's way up to being one of my favorites in the entire genre. This is everything I thought it would be and then some.

I will agree and say that the visuals on PC truly make the game that much more better. If they can get like 75% of the way on consoles than that would be good but damn, this is the finest visual splendor I've layed my eyes on.

To the mod who remade the thread title, you have my axe. You have Triss's ass too.

woober

Cday said:
The one archaic holdout in The Witcher 2 is the lip syncing.

I'll cut them some slack on that considering how much dialog is in the game and didn't have the tech like L.A. Noire did to handle the syncing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ceebs said:
The original game sort of throws you into it as well at the start sort of assuming you know who the main characters are from the novels/short stories. Lots of conversations about things that happened in the past that the game sort of assumes you know about. Even the intro movie is just an animated portion of one of the short stories.
Yeah but i really think both games have been written in a way that makes it perfectly understandable to follow without needing prior reading on the original and the novels.

I'm sure doing both would enhance it either way though.

Ceebs

woober said:
I'll cut them some slack on that considering how much dialog is in the game and didn't have the tech like L.A. Noire did to handle the syncing.
not to mention it's an international game with a boatload of languages.

Lafiel said:
Yeah but i really think both games have been written in a way that makes it perfectly understandable to follow without needing prior reading on the original and the novels.

I'm sure doing both would enhance it either way though.
I agree you can pick up easily enough, but reading the journal entires on characters helps a ton as well.

delirium

Chiggs said:
Chapter 1 End Spoiler

That fight with Letho in the bath house was pretty goddamn difficult.
I beat him in normal.
The key is to run around if he has Quen up. Try to dodge his Aard and Igni. Basically, what I did was when he didn't have the shield up, go to him melee and blast him with your Aard. If it hits, you can hit him twice with your strong attack. After two attacks, hit him again with your Aard and repeat. You can also just block his melee instead of using Aard, but if you do, don't put it up before he attacks otherwise he will just blast you with an Aard.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Lafiel said:

Not sure I agree here. The Witcher 2 has a story that becomes increasingly complicated, especially if you don't have knowledge of the novels or prior game.

I think some people are going to be "WTF" the further they get into it.

Van Buren

ColonialRaptor said:

I actually agree with him since the personality of the characters won't be readily apparent on skipping ahead. When I read the journal entries, I couldn't stop snickering at the various in-jokes aimed at Dandelion's personality. Without having known what to expect, I'd be making guesses at best. Also, I got attached to the fates of the characters in the first game. As a result, the events of the Prologue alone had a huge impact on me.

Let me put it another way - suppose the Witcher 3 releases, would you recommend someone to wiki the events of the second game ? A person can get the general idea of the story, but the minute-to-minute details will be lost. The various little touches that CDPR put into this game will never be known either.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
try this:

hit the start button (or the equivalent on keyboard), alt + tab then return and everyone will be doing the jesus pose

some NPC faces go missing, but it all goes back to normal once you unpause

Wallach

Van Buren said:
I actually agree with him since the personality of the characters won't be readily apparent on skipping ahead. When I read the journal entries, I couldn't stop snickering at the various in-jokes aimed at Dandelion's personality. Without having known what to expect, I'd be making guesses at best. Also, I got attached to the fates of the characters in the first game. As a result, the events of the Prologue alone had a huge impact on me.

Let me put it another way - suppose the Witcher 3 releases, would you recommend someone to wiki the events of the second game ? A person can get the general idea of the story, but the minute-to-minute details will be lost. The various little touches that CDPR put into this game will never be known either.

Yeah, exactly. I kind of felt the same way about Fallout NV. There's so much in that game that I think doesn't resonate in any way with people because it calls to Fallout 2. I enjoy being able to appreciate stuff like that - after all, you can only play a game for the first time once.

Sethos

Banned
Guess I feel there's a difference in the story telling perspective of leaving out a huge chunk of story, to let the person reading / watching / playing get in a certain mindset and you slowly discover things as you go along and just leaving out the entire first act of the story only to jump on act 2 and be confused way beyond what the story telling intended.

I would like to know more about these novels and prequel stories. Say I wanted to plan out a Witcher playthrough over the next few months and do it properly, what would I need to get a hold of / read before starting Witcher 1?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Solo said:
It definitely feels like the Demon's Souls of 2011.
I don't see it at all. The combat would be a zillion times better if it wasn't for the shitty autolock swipes. The precision really isn't there that you find in DS.

Dipper145

I beat the witcher when it came out, loved it. Don't remember any of the story except the extremely general stuff and I see no reason why someone couldn't just jump into this one.

Combat is frustrating, probably worse due to my 30-40ish framerate, but damn if it isn't really tough sometimes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I want to blow up the nekker layers, but it seems I don't have the right bombs (only have samum on me). Where do I find diagrams for new bomb types?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dipper145 said:
Combat is frustrating, probably worse due to my 30-40ish framerate, but damn if it isn't really tough sometimes.

I sort of like the fact that you need to very judicious about attacking in this game, especially if you're surrounded by multiple enemies.

Even on easy, a mob will fuck you up royally.

thetrin said:
I want to blow up the nekker layers, but it seems I don't have the right bombs (only have samum on me). Where do I find diagrams for new bomb types?

Cedric. It's the grapeshot bomb.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chiggs said:
I sort of like the fact that you need to very judicious about attacking in this game, especially if you're surrounded by multiple enemies.

Though when you fuck up a single mob with a flurry of light slashes, it's like raining down hell on them.

Ceebs

thetrin said:
Cedric the elf sells them, read the Nekker info for the right type

Chiggs

Gold Member
I hope this isn't a spoiler, but there is one cut scene that begins with a shot of several old-tymey dildos on a dresser. They looked like wooden penis popsicles.

FGMPR

Banned
Chiggs said:
Not sure I agree here. The Witcher 2 has a story that becomes increasingly complicated, especially if you don't have knowledge of the novels or prior game.

I think some people are going to be "WTF" the further they get into it.

As long as you read Dandelions codex entries I believe you will be fine.

DEO3

How is this game performing on ATI at the moment? Specifically a 6970? Normally this wouldn't be something I'd ask, but I recently bought Brink and while I love the game, getting it playable on ATI cards at the moment is.. difficult, so I'm looking for something to play in the meantime while Splash Damage/ATI work things out.

Djin1979

Chiggs said:

Later in the game Geralt acquires ridiculously powerful AE attacks, the first ten hours are def more difficult than the rest of the game.

the register tool in Witcher 2 launcher keep crashing for me. any ideas why? and I can't seem to register from the official website. the login/register button is just not click-able in the website.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sethos said:
Guess I feel there's a difference in the story telling perspective of leaving out a huge chunk of story, to let the person reading / watching / playing get in a certain mindset and you slowly discover things as you go along and just leaving out the entire first act of the story only to jump on act 2 and be confused way beyond what the story telling intended.

I would like to know more about these novels and prequel stories. Say I wanted to plan out a Witcher playthrough over the next few months and do it properly, what would I need to get a hold of / read before starting Witcher 1?

Read The Last Wish (6-7 short stores ~8 hours total, really worth it), Limits of the Possible (single short story excellent, excellent english translation, ~2 hours, done for free posted on TW forums, pm me if you need a link/copy), and The Blood of Elves (first novel, normal book length), in that order. Then play the first Witcher. Then the second, and you'll get the benefit of 100 performance improvements and bug fixes if it's a few patches out too.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Callibretto said:
the register tool in Witcher 2 launcher keep crashing for me. any ideas why? and I can't seem to register from the official website. the login/register button is just not click-able in the website.

Same here. I think they're overhauling their database.

Of course, this means no Troll DLC for either of us.

Ryuuga

Banned
They really phoned it when it came to the animation, but the overall game is nice so far. I have a few bones to pick with the unnecessarily difficult prologue though.

Dance In My Blood said:
I don't see it at all. The combat would be a zillion times better if it wasn't for the shitty autolock swipes. The precision really isn't there that you find in DS.

THIS

Not to mention the iFrames enemies get on you and the spotty collision detection that causes you to get caught on random shit.

I'm just saying, these guys did a bang up job with ALOT (mostly visuals/presentation) but they're not perfect and nor is this game.

zlatko

Banned
Ryuuga said:
They really phoned it when it came to the animation, but the overall game is nice so far. I have a few bones to pick with the unnecessarily difficult prologue though.

My only big "meh" thing about the game is that the facial animations and lip syncing is basically non existent. For a game that pushes visuals this far and has quality oozing out of every other facet it just seems odd to overlook one of the most basic and staple things necessary to make your game shine in this day and age.

So I'm a good way into the second chapter and so far I liked the first chapter more because of the atmosphere and location. Not that there's anything wrong with the second chapter.

Seriously, where the hell is this last nekker nest? I've been looking for it for close to an hour now. The bastards won't show their faces in the forest anymore and I'm 3 out of 4.

I've spent a few full day cycles in the forest, on the plus side I got this cool shot of the sun rising.

witcher22011-05-1911-3ffco.png

Ryuuga said:

the difficulty is only getting worse after the prologue. I just go into a cave fighting like 10 of Nekkers at once with some Nekker warrior mixed in. then got lead into an ambush by 7 or 8 scoiatel elves with 3-4 enemies actively chasing you and the rest is picking shot with arrows. then got into fight with 2 wraith in a cramped space that leave little room to dodge. I've restart those section so many times it's not funny

Soule

No North indicator on the mini-map really sucks :(

Quick question, for diagrams and alchemy recipes and whatnot, do I have to always keep them in my inventory? Or once I've owned them (read them?) do I know that recipe for good?

EDIT: Well I quick-saved and then sold my recipes and now I can't make any potions, do I really have to keep all those recipes in my inventory to be able to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom