• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

For those of you commenting on the difficulty of the game, are you referring to not knowing what to do/where to go or the combat in general?

So which path is everyone taking?

Mage? Swordsman? Or Alchemist?

I personally think that Alchemy and Swordsman might suit my style better, but then I always find myself using magic HEAPS in battle but I don't seem to think about it, it's almost automatic... I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to start allocating points to different skill trees and I don't know what to do...

Usually I just pick which of the options on any of the directions on the trees suits me best AT THAT time without considering that if I go for balance between all three I won't be able to max a particular tree out and get the best of that tree... that might not necessarily be bad, but it means that I'll miss out on some cool fireworks I guess, but I'll be powerfully balanced... oh, I don't know what to do. In the end I'll probably end up being balanced because I hate being overly skewed :/

Exuro

SamuraiX- said:
For those of you commenting on the difficulty of the game, are you referring to not knowing what to do/where to go or the combat in general?
No in chapter one starting out nekkers will take off 1/4-1/3 of your health at a time. You've gotta evade like crazy against groups.

Van Buren

Callibretto said:
the difficulty is only getting worse after the prologue. I just go into a cave fighting like 10 of Nekkers at once with some Nekker warrior mixed in. then got lead into an ambush by 7 or 8 scoiatel elves with 3-4 enemies actively chasing you and the rest is picking shot with arrows. then got into fight with 2 wraith in a cramped space that leave little room to dodge. I've restart those section so many times it's not funny

For those encounters, don't ever rush in. Try to get them to come to you. Place traps, make use of Axii to mind control the normal nekkers, and Yrden to stop the warriors. Always start with Quen up. Make liberal use of your bombs - don't ever hoard them.

Wes

venison crêpe
SamuraiX- said:

Combat in general. It's a good difficult. In terms of navigating yourself in quests I've only had two problems and both of those came through my own impatience rather than anything the game did wrong. Tip: The journal is fantastic.

Van Buren said:
For those encounters, don't ever rush in. Try to get them to come to you. Place traps, make use of Axii to mind control the normal nekkers, and Yrden to stop the warriors. Always start with Quen up. Make liberal use of your bombs - don't ever hoard them.

I know. but the game is very punishing for any slight mistake you make, if you're not careful, you'll get hit by 3 simultaneous attack by 3 different enemy and will drop your hp more than half. you got hit 200% damage if they manage to hit you from the back (unless you upgrade the skill that can reduce it) and you can still take damage when you're evading, so sometimes when you want to roll backward and the enemy's attack can still reach you, you'll get hit with tons of damage without you realizing it (no hit animation during rolling, just your hp reduce) then all of a sudden you're dead.

Van Buren

Callibretto said:
I know. but the game is very punishing for any slight mistake you make, if you're not careful, you'll get hit by 3 simultaneous attack by 3 different enemy and will drop your hp more than half. you got hit 200% damage if they manage to hit you from the back (unless you upgrade the skill that can reduce it) and you can still take damage when you're evading, so sometimes when you want to roll backward and the enemy's attack can still reach you, you'll get hit with tons of damage without you realizing it (no hit animation during rolling, just your hp reduce) then all of a sudden you're dead.

I had those very same problems at that very location. I was playing on Hard, and I didn't know the enemy attack patterns. The first time I pulled all the nekkers and it was a swift game over screen. The second time around, I made my stand as far away from the other nekkers as possible. As a result, I had to only fight 2-3 at once instead of the 10 or so nekkers that are there. Unless I was sure I'd be able to get a shot and dodge away, I just kept them at bay by staying in parry stance most of the time. They don't seem to be as aggressive if you hold the parry button while being a few feet away.

Sethos said:
I'm confused, why are people trying to talk me out of buying another one of their games, playing through it and possibly getting more enjoyment out of its sequel :p ? I'm in no rush, game is still available in 2-3 months.

Sethos said:
I'm confused, why are people trying to talk me out of buying another one of their games, playing through it and possibly getting more enjoyment out of its sequel :p ? I'm in no rush, game is still available in 2-3 months.

Totally fair man. You make good points. So you didn't have any idea about the first game at all? You didn't play that game at all?

I suppose I got a fair bit of understanding having played about 25 - 30% of it and that's all I needed to get me into this game, just enough to tip my understanding of the world over.

There have still been a couple of times that I've felt like "ahh I could understand that better" like info about the massacre and stuff, but I still understand that these things happened, and the info in the journal is very comprehensive has been very good.

I still think that CDPR should have done a recap on the previous game for newcomers honestly... what were they thinking. A game that is as good as this that was a sequel the last game that was... as average as it was, it's bound to bring HEAPS of new people to the series and yet they didn't make the transition as easy as it could have been?

Anyway... I'm finding it pretty easy. The story in this game is pretty much completely separate from the previous game.

I don't know if the areas of the world that you visit seem to be the same or not, but I don't really know if that even matters... maybe it would be familiar / cool to see areas that you'd seen before, but to me it's nice to have all these new places to discover.

Exuro said:
No in chapter one starting out nekkers will take off 1/4-1/3 of your health at a time. You've gotta evade like crazy against groups.
Not only that. Attacking or getting hit in the back also does extra damage. So if you either do a poorly timed roll or aren't paying attention then those wraith enemies can take off half a health bar with a single hit.

Ya, Minsc is correct it seems with the disks. On the older than shit DVD-ROM at work it kept giving me errors now that I finally got a chance to start installing it on my tower everything has been fine so far.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, Minsc is correct it seems with the disks. On the older than shit DVD-ROM at work it kept giving me errors now that I finally got a chance to start installing it on my tower everything has been fine so far.
Thats the problem though, my dvd drives are from 2009. They arent old at all. I have a plextor and a lite-on. Both quality drives. Never had this issue before. Now on this game on my lite-on it fails when it starts the copy and on my plextor it fails 50% of the way through.

They need to seriously start compensating me for their faulty product. I sent an email to tw2 support and asked if they were giving steam or gog versions for people who can provide dvd keys. This is a major fuckup on their part. If so many people havent bought the game digitally there would be a thread devoted to the fact that half the people cant install.

Wallach

The Teachinator said:
Is the game jank or no jank? I'm currently on the first game. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of it so far.

From what I've gathered (as someone who feels very wishy washy about the first Witcher), it is definitely less jank.

This game just looks great, and I wish I had the PC to run it. I abandoned pc gaming after beating half life 2, and I'm ready to jump back in I think

~Kinggi~ said:
Thats the problem though, my dvd drives are from 2009. They arent old at all. I have a plextor and a lite-on. Both quality drives. Never had this issue before. Now on this game on my lite-on it fails when it starts the copy and on my plextor it fails 50% of the way through.

They need to seriously start compensating me for their faulty product. I sent an email to tw2 support and asked if they were giving steam or gog versions for people who can provide dvd keys. This is a major fuckup on their part. If so many people havent bought the game digitally there would be a thread devoted to the fact that half the people cant install.

Is yours a dual layer drive? I got my 2 drives 2 years ago on black friday. They are 2 LG dual layer dvd burners. Have you tried ripping it and running?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
For the new page:

Just got to Flotsam.

How far am I from being able to stash all of this crafting material? Or should I just sell it all?

I seriously have like 150/250 worth of this stuff, and my RPG hoarding sense is kicking in, hard.

I'd hate to sell a bunch of materials, only to need them to make some item later.

Exuro

Can anyone give me some tips in Chapter 2?

Alright so I'm fighting Draug or whatever his name is. First of all, is there a way to save the game right before fighting him or do I have to fight those two groups and go through the cutscenes everytime? Second, what in the world do I do against Draug? He spam rushes me and I can't do crap. Whats the armor meter as well. I can only fight he for what feels like 30 seconds and then I have to restart playing as the other dude for a minute or so. Wouldn't be so bad if it autosaved right before Draug.

Facism

"Shut your trap, cunt." Some harsh voicework, and i love it.

Refreshing to have a game not tuck it's dick between it's thighs to pander to the bitches.

Hahaha, I was walking through Lobinden when a women shouted out "Geralt of Rivia."

Thinking she was going to commend Geralt on his witching prowess I thought nothing of it but then she followed up with "The famous plougher."

For anyone interested

I got a spare Code for the Best Buy DLC (Ultimate Magical Suit) Will trade for one of the other codes. PM me if interested

Hawk269

For those using SLI and if you noticed this or not about light sources appearing through walls here is a fix for that issue:

Problem fixed fellow SLI users!

I was able to fix the light source issue when using SLI. It does not happen when SLI is not used, only when SLI is in use. But if you go to the program settings and change the SLI rendering mode to "Force alternate frame rendering 2" the light source bleeding through walls disapears. There is also no other issues introduced by using this mode.

Withcer 1 had the same issue and some people suggested to use the alt. 2 rendering, but for me it did not work. Light sources did stop, but it introduced a bunch of other graphical issues and low framerate. I had to use Nvidia Inspector and a custome SLI bit to make it stop having light sources bleed through walls, but with Witcher 2 it does work and in my testing it has not had any issues with performance or any graphical anomolies.

For those not sure what this is, basically light sources like lamps, torches, the sun etc can bleed through walls/enviroment. When it is small light sources suchs as torches, it looks like orbs floating in the walls etc. In other areas like when you are in that giant moving thing that is used to attack the castle walls, the sun's light source is shining into it, which looks like crap. I really did not notice it at first cause I thought it was just a weird light source issue, but when I got farther in the prologue where you are underground and there are torches, I noticed them visible through walls and they look like orbs. When there are alot of them it looks horrible. However this fixes that problem.

So, if you have SLI just do the following:

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel.
2. Manage 3D Settings
3. Program Settings --> The Witcher 2
4. Go down to SLI Rendering Mode, Select-> Force alternate frame rendering 2
5. Apply Settings
6. Launch Game
7. Enjoy Witcher 2 without light source bleeding through walls!!!

Now, Nvidia needs to fix this themselves so we dont have to do this or newer gamers dont have this issue along with proper SLI support. Sad thing is, this game has Nvidia's name plastered all over it you would thought they would of had proper support for the game.

*Update* Someone that has a 3xSLI tried this and it did not work. I can confirm that it does work with my 2xSLI 580's.

Sober

K.Jack said:
For the new page:

Just got to Flotsam.

How far am I from being able to stash all of this crafting material? Or should I just sell it all?

I seriously have like 150/250 worth of this stuff, and my RPG hoarding sense is kicking in, hard.

I'd hate to sell a bunch of materials, only to need them to make some item later.
Make sure you buy the recipes from the crafting vendors so you can make higher level cloth and leather for later items. Also IIRC that also cuts down on the weight since you take some items that cost 2-3 weight and bring it down to 1. I wish there was a way to scroll down the recipe in the vendor window to see the components I need, that scroll is pretty slow and it's not worth buying just for the journal entry (plus you need to keep the the actual schematic to have it crafted)

Soule said:
No North indicator on the mini-map really sucks :(

Quick question, for diagrams and alchemy recipes and whatnot, do I have to always keep them in my inventory? Or once I've owned them (read them?) do I know that recipe for good?

EDIT: Well I quick-saved and then sold my recipes and now I can't make any potions, do I really have to keep all those recipes in my inventory to be able to use them?
You have to keep them, unfortunately. I checked by selling then checking, then reloading. Just be sure to sell armour/weapon schematics after you've outlevelled them since they do have some weight (and won't be used as often as bomb/potion/trap stuff).

Also, yeah I wish there was a North indicator on the compass.

SamuraiX- said:
I think there's also the problem where people aren't actually doing ingame research (buying creature info books especially) and reading the entries to figure out what to do. There have been quite a few posts asking why they can't do X or Y when it's pretty much stated in the game. You just have to fork some orens over for it.

The Teachinator said:
Is the game jank or no jank? I'm currently on the first game. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of it so far.
Its an Eastern European game developed on a small budget. Always expect some jank. That said, there is significantly less jank in The Witcher 2 than in the first one.

Hellsing321 said:
Its an Eastern European game developed on a small budget. Always expect some jank. That said, there is significantly less jank in The Witcher 2 than in the first one.
Good to hear. The first game is fun it's just the voice acting that kind if gets to me. I'm going to take my time with it and depending how u enjoy it I'll come to part 2 after a short break.

ManeKast

I cant beleive theres a scene where an npc gets head from a prostitute and says something along the lines of "swallow it". Pretty full on! You even see her kneel down in the bushes.

JWong

Banned
Question. Registered my game and I see Troll Trouble in my list of Downloadable Contents along with English etc.

That means it's in my game?

The difficulty complaints are a bit sad really. Like, people always bitch about hating insta-kill enemies because they don't feel like they could have done anything to prevent their death. If you die in TW2 it's because you fucked up, so don't do whatever it is that you were doing.

For example, I tried to deal with Nekkers by lock-targeting them one by one and found that I'd end up surrounded too easily. So I started to take the groups down by circling them, darting in for a quick-to-heavy combo to take one out, then darting back out and looking for my next opportunity. Then there are the Edrega's who are fucking impossible, until you realise that they charge you and leave their juicy soft butts exposed, just begging for you to jam a sword in them. Wraiths can be a bit rough, but so far I've only ever encountered them in twos which means that you can chain CC one of them while you burn the other one down.

I totally hate unfair difficulty, and I don't see any of that in TW2. Every death is a learning experience, rather than a rage-quit inducing clusterfuck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SamuraiX- said:

No the game just has an actual learning curve instead of treating people like imbeciles.

Modern gamers are soft pale little creatures.

Sober

jim-jam bongs said:
The difficulty complaints are a bit sad really. Like, people always bitch about hating insta-kill enemies because they don't feel like they could have done anything to prevent their death. If you die in TW2 it's because you fucked up, so don't do whatever it is that you were doing.

For example, I tried to deal with Nekkers by lock-targeting them one by one and found that I'd end up surrounded too easily. So I started to take the groups down by circling them, darting in for a quick-to-heavy combo to take one out, then darting back out and looking for my next opportunity. Then there are the Edrega's who are fucking impossible, until you realise that they charge you and leave their juicy soft butts exposed, just begging for you to jam a sword in them. Wraiths can be a bit rough, but so far I've only ever encountered them in twos which means that you can chain CC one of them while you burn the other one down.

I totally hate unfair difficulty, and I don't see any of that in TW2. Every death is a learning experience, rather than a rage-quit inducing clusterfuck.
I have to read a few paragraphs on how to fight monsters? Well I never!

But yeah, hit and run is probably going to be your staple for the first 10 or so levels. And no matter what, I swear the 2/2 backstab damage reduction talent will be a must regardless of spec.

antonz

JWong said:
Question. Registered my game and I see Troll Trouble in my list of Downloadable Contents along with English etc.

That means it's in my game?
click on troll trouble and you should see a download option. do that then click it again and click install

Tokubetsu

This game is so fucking amazing. I'm already thinking about a 2nd playthrough. It's gonna be hard for any other game to compete this year short of some magical blowjob in the box.

knitoe

I went into the cave outside Flotsam and there must have been 20 of those nekkers(?). Don't think any strategy would work here. Had to be cheap by luring them to boundary of cave entrance where you won't go, attack them, retreat pass the boundary and repeat until all of them were dead. This is on normal with best equipment I could currently buy. Can't imagine higher difficulty.

antonz

Tokubetsu said:
This game is so fucking amazing. I'm already thinking about a 2nd playthrough. It's gonna be hard for any other game to compete this year short of some magical blowjob in the box.

Yep im very interested in a few playthroughs. I have not even gotten to see several locations and activities that were demo'd all the time and I know I have played through/passed those areas story wise.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fredescu said:
A PC game heavily influenced by a notably more punishing console game. At least you can quick save in this.

Well, I was referring to the content of the game itself, especially some incredibly rough and explicit dialogue that I don't think would make the cut on major consoles.

Oh, and vaginas.

antonz

Chiggs said:
Well, I was referring to the content of the game itself, especially some incredibly rough and explicit dialogue that I don't think would make the cut on major consoles.

Oh, and vaginas.
lol one sorceress talking to Triss about Geralt "Stop thinking with your vagina!"

Hawk269

So has anyone completed Chapter 2 as of yet? How many hours do you assume youve put into the game after Chapter 2? Just trying to get an ideal of the length of the game.

And yes, game is fucking fantastic!

Fredescu

Chiggs said:
Oh sorry, I missed the context. I thought you were talking about difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom