• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
natkingcoleslaw said:
The game seems long enough for me. The reviewer makes it clear, that

1. He rushed through the game, didn't do any side quests
2. Probably on easy, as indicated by his lack of alchemy/magic use

Also, in an earlier interview, the devs say that this is a story driven game. There are people who just want the story. For example, on a second play through, in the alternate location. The easy setting is meant for them to rush through.

I'd rather wait for the Eurogamer or GT or GB or IGN reviews.

Nope, he stated he played on normal. Personally I think RPS publishes really good reviews. Ultimately the reviewer loved the game.

Exuro

Zeliard said:
You playing on Hard?
No but the change in difficulty from Chapter 1 to 2 feels pretty drastic. You take a lot less damage, although maybe my combat proficiency has to do with that. I'll do a hard run on my second playthrough.

Ceebs

RedSwirl said:
Jesus black dick Christ. This could potentially turn out to be the best action RPG I've ever played, Japanese or Western. I actually wouldn't feel bad playing this on a console either. Interested in seeing how the 360 version turns out.

I'm still not done with the prologue yet, but medium difficulty feels like a freaking Super NES game. The combat definitely feels like Arkham Asylum, but I still haven't gotten parrying down. I figured out that the right analog stick does targeting, but when I'm in the thick of it up on one guy, I can't get Gerault to turn to another guy and parry in time. Protips?
There are skill upgrades that let you parry in multiple directions along with adding the option to counter, reducing the damage, or the endurance cost.

Zeliard

Heh, I hadn't seen this Edge interview before:

Since the first Witcher, which games have had the biggest effect on CD Projekt's direction for The Witcher 2?

We get inspired by many games, obviously, like any game developer. I can't say specifically whether it's Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls or Arkham Asylum that has inspired us most over the past few years – it's probably a mix of all of them. I think everyone will find elements of Demon's Souls, though, definitely. We don't auto-scale opponents, for example. If you want to compare it to anything, Demon's Souls is definitely good. I'd like that, for sure.

It really is evident in the combat particularly. The dragon section from the prologue also seems to be a nod to Demon's Souls.

RedSwirl said:
Jesus black dick Christ. This could potentially turn out to be the best action RPG I've ever played, Japanese or Western. I actually wouldn't feel bad playing this on a console either. Interested in seeing how the 360 version turns out.

I'm still not done with the prologue yet, but medium difficulty feels like a freaking Super NES game. The combat definitely feels like Arkham Asylum, but I still haven't gotten parrying down. I figured out that the right analog stick does targeting, but when I'm in the thick of it up on one guy, I can't get Gerault to turn to another guy and parry in time. Protips?

Yeah, combat is an amazing improvement over the first. It really demands that you use all your available assets.

Sober

Deadly said:
Apparently there are abilities you can only get from the prologue. And one of them gives additional weight. Fucking A. I'm contemplating restarting now, great.
Huh, really? I mean, I got it but I have no idea what triggered it.

Also, the Kingslayer in Act 1, WHAT THE FUCK
that asshole Letho is pretty tough on normal, spams Quen like an asshole and then steals my steel sword? What a jerk.

So fun though.

Oh, and regarding the Mystic River quests,
do I have to wait to move onto the next act or something to continue it?

I am being super anal about exploring every single house, nook, and cranny.

I haven't even
talked to my people in the inn on Chapter 1
, or done any quests, and I am 7 hours in, loloolololol.

Tacitus_

Lafiel said:
Most role-playing games are always kinda like this when it comes to difficulty, i mean a good example is fallout 1/2 those start off almost kick-to-the-balls hard, but as you get level up, get more skills, get better weapons etc, the game gets a lot easier then what it started off initially.

CDProject had the same exact problem in Witcher 1. The bosses in Act 1 were nightmarish but you breezed through the rest.

Also, fuck
Letho and his sign spamming ass. Can't even do proper damage to him up close since he pushes you away and then does the armor sign.

E: Turned it to Easy (from NORMAL) and beat it by spamming left mouse. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Cday

Banned
The first five minutes of this game are ridiculous. No group styles, but you're expected to defeat a dozen guards who attack you simultaneously and will kill you in 2 seconds. Oh and you will also randomly catch on fire and die, this is normal. You have potions but we're not gonna tell you how to use them! Or do combat for that matter. Also Triss has been turned into some round-headed teenage bimbo and Geralt all the sudden says "Fuck You" like it's something he always says. Wow Geralt, you're so edgy. This is awful.

Problem with the beginning of Chapter 2:

I'm supposed to talk to the king in the camp but whenever I approach him I never get the option to talk. I've just meditating to left time go by, reload save, and nothing will happen.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
a) The music in Vergen ( spelling ) makes me cry big manly tears of joy. Holy shit.

b) any way to check how long you've played?

Deadly said:
Apparently there are abilities you can only get from the prologue. And one of them gives additional weight. Fucking A. I'm contemplating restarting now, great.

Wait what? Damn it's too late for me to restart...I guess this will be for playthrough 2 then..

So there isn't an epilogue in this game? It's just prologue, chapter 1/2/3 right?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
scorpscarx said:

I haven't even

Same!

I got in trouble when I first got into Flotsam because I was already at around 280/300 weight after the tutorial. I soon became overburdened, and no shops are open until you do that event in the town square, so I was walking slowly through town for about 40 minutes just taking in the sights and looting stuff.

Has anyone checked if items you drop on the ground are persistent or not? I assume they disappear whenever you zone to another area.

Also, damn this game for consuming my thoughts all day! I'm constantly thinking about it at work and keep considering going home early just to play. The only other 'recent' games that have done that to me are probably Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age: Origins, Risen, and Demon's Souls.

Darklord

Banned
Quick question, I'm still very early on but how open world is this game? Is it fully open or kind of area by area open based on the story?

Animator

scorpscarx said:

I haven't even

I am 10 hours or so in and I havent done a single chapter 1 main quest yet. There is so much to explore and discover it is crazy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cday said:
The first five minutes of this game are ridiculous. No group styles, but you're expected to defeat a dozen guards who attack you simultaneously and will kill you in 2 seconds. Oh and you will also randomly catch on fire and die, this is normal. You have potions but we're not gonna tell you how to use them! Or do combat for that matter. Also Triss has been turned into some round-headed teenage bimbo and Geralt all the sudden says "Fuck You" like it's something he always says. Wow Geralt, you're so edgy. This is awful.

What? I recall Geralt saying "Fuck you" and equivalents multiple times in the first game. Triss is actually attractive now with a competent voice actor.

Combat-wise, there are plenty of tutorial pop-ups that explain things (although they can be easy to miss), and you can read through the 'combat basics' in the tutorial section of your journal. They could have introduced the mechanics a little more slowly, but I love that they didn't. I'm not even great at games and I only died twice in the prologue on normal (and one of those was because I ran too far ahead and the dragon's flame got me). When I didn't know what to do, I immediately opened my journal and checked out the tutorials, and experimented with the controls in areas where there were no enemies around.

Also, at what point do you randomly catch on fire and die? Was that the dragon part? I died once there, but I learned pretty quickly that you're not supposed to run ahead of the group into the area where the dragon is unleashing its flame upon.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zeliard said:
It really is evident in the combat particularly. The dragon section from the prologue also seems to be a nod to Demon's Souls.
Similar scenario but not similar design. Way too fucking unpredictable and obtuse with killing blows from the dragon coming at you at random.

The dragon in Demon's Souls had very well defined attack patterns and did not deviate from them.

I see this in the same light as TellTale saying that the new Jurassic Park game is heavily inspired by Heavy Rain in the same gameplay demonstration where the main character is getting killed by dinos over 20 times, hitting a "You Died" screen, and then choosing the Retry option...over 20 times. That's entirely antithetical to the design in HR just as the random hodgepodge of a dragon encounter in the Witcher 2 is against the clear, focused, predictable nature of the dragon encounters in Demon's Souls

I will agree with you about the combat, in general, with heavy influence from Arkham Asylum on top.

Zeliard

Cday said:

Haha the dragon part isn't too great and I agree with the complaints there, if you keep dying just turn it down to easy temporarily. The dragon fire stuff is only a short portion.

As far as the characterizations, try perhaps playing more than the first 5 minutes of a 30+ hour story before trying to conclude anything. Both Geralt and Triss are stronger and better-realized characters than they were in the first.

Gattsu25 said:
Similar scenario but not similar design. Way too fucking unpredictable and obtuse with killing blows from the dragon coming at you at random.

The dragon in Demon's Souls had very well defined attack patterns and did not deviate from them.

I see this in the same light as TellTale saying that the new Jurassic Park game is heavily inspired by Heavy Rain in the same gameplay demonstration where the main character is getting killed by dinos over 20 times, hitting a "You Died" screen, and then choosing the Retry option...over 20 times. That's entirely antithetical to the design in HR just as the random hodgepodge of a dragon encounter in the Witcher 2 is against the clear, focused, predictable nature of the dragon encounters in Demon's Souls

I will agree with you about the combat, in general, with heavy influence from Arkham Asylum on top.

When I say "a nod to DS" I don't necessarily mean it was successful or effectively implemented. :p I didn't like that part either, especially as an introduction, but it didn't last long.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
Quick question, I'm still very early on but how open world is this game? Is it fully open or kind of area by area open based on the story?

It's not open at all. The individual areas are quite large and have plenty of stuff to do in them, but there aren't very many locales, apparently. I think there are actually less places to go than in the first Witcher.

Hopefully they will put out an awesome expansion for this down the road.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:

Are you talking about the dragon scene in the prologue? You won't die if you only move with your crew and kill the La Vallette soldiers.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Cday

Banned
Zefah said:
What? I recall saying "Fuck you" and equivalents multiple times in the first game. Triss is actually attractive now with a competent voice actor.

Combat-wise, there are plenty of tutorial pop-ups that explain things (although they can be easy to miss), and you can read through the 'combat basics' in the tutorial section of your journal. They could have introduced the mechanics a little more slowly, but I love that they didn't. I'm not even great at games and I only died twice in the prologue on normal (and one of those was because I ran too far ahead and the dragon's flame got me). When I didn't know what to do, I immediately opened my journal and checked out the tutorials, and experimented with the controls in areas where there were no enemies around.

Also, at what point do you randomly catch on fire and die? Was that the dragon part? I died once there, but I learned pretty quickly that you're not supposed to run ahead of the group into the area where the dragon is unleashing its flame upon.

If you even try to read any of the popups chances are you are already dead. The dragon will catch you on fire no matter where you are and it's not like you can pay attention to the dragon considering you have 4 dudes rushing you, hence it being random. The NPCs aren't rushing ahead of me so what do I do? Stand there forever? I'll keep bashing my head against it until I get through but this first part is very poorly designed when you have to dig through menus just to figure out how to play the game.

Cday said:
If you even try to read any of the popups chances are you are already dead. The dragon will catch you on fire no matter where you are and it's not like you can pay attention to the dragon considering you have 4 dudes rushing you, hence it being random. The NPCs aren't rushing ahead of me so what do I do? Stand there forever? I'll keep bashing my head against it until I get through but this first part is very poorly designed when you have to dig through menus just to figure out how to play the game.

It takes maybe 3 or 4 times to realize how extremely easy it is to get through that part, besides your supposed to read the manual on this game before even playing it.

I hate games that hold your hand at the beginning, HATE THEM!@

Zeliard

Cday said:

Just suck it up and turn the difficulty down to easy for that one part. You'll laugh at how short that section actually is.

pahamrick

I didn't really have much trouble with the dragon. Died once because I ran out into the fire since I was thinking I had to rush to the end. Once I realized you need to stay inside the first cover area for a moment and wait for the dragon to move, it was pretty simple.

Gattsu25

Banned
Cday said:
Did you choose the top option when you were being interrogated and asked to retell the story? The top option starts you off at the beginning of the game, the other options skip chunks of the prologue. The fact that these questions skip large chunks of the tutorial is NEVER hinted at, by the way. I made the same mistake and started off getting wrecked by the dragon with no idea what I was doing.

Start over (skipping all the movies) and when you are asked what part of the story to retell choose the top option.

When you get back to the dragon part, use the sign that reduces damage, I forget what it's called.

Also, Geralt cursed tons in the first game. WTH version did you play?

Van Buren

Cday said:

Make full use of your signs. Quen in particular. The moment you see groups of 3+, and you doubt you can separate them, try to take one out of the equation with Axii or Yrden. Or chuck your bombs at them.

In case you do separate them, an Aard can result in a quick kill to thin the enemy ranks. Never expose your back to enemies - positioning is of utmost importance.

chiba

Dl'n this now, can't wait to try it. After 20dollar amazon credit from ordering la noir, I just baught W2 for 20bucks total off amazons download service. Not bad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cday said:

Weird. I was playing on normal and I tried running ahead immediately after the dragon part began. I was promptly roasted, so the next time I just stuck with my group dispatching the soldiers and I made it through with a problem.

You can just run away from the enemies while reading the tutorial pop-up if one appears mid-combat. If that's too hard, then just hit the J key and look at the tutorials tab. You're not "digging through menus". Alternatively, you could try reading the manual, which actually explains a lot of stuff.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't go with some lengthy tutorial that holds your hand for 30 minutes and slowly explains individual mechanics before the actual game starts like so many games these days seem to have. It presents a higher initial hurdle, but actually dying a few times when you don't know shit isn't a bad thing in my opinion, but I actually enjoy figuring things out.

The lack of an annoying tutorial is going to make replays that much better for me.

sflufan

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
So in order to fix, i need:

"A storage device that can hold at least 10 GB of data and another computer."

This is fucking ridiculous. I dont have a 2nd computer and BOTH my dvd drives are constantly failing.

Another alternative that appears to have worked for other is updating the firmware of your DVD drives.

Geez, how big is the CDProjekt art team? This game is absolutely gorgeous. So far an improvement over TW1 in every way, but also so much better looking than most every other game I have seen.

Zeliard

The prologue is full of combat. That's mostly what it is. I wouldn't bother using the dragon fire section to learn the ropes. Just worry about getting past it and then start learning the combat when you don't have a dragon roasting the entire floor.

Cday

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Did you choose the top option when you were being interrogated and asked to retell the story? The top option starts you off at the beginning of the game, the other options skip chunks of the prologue. The fact that these questions skip large chunks of the tutorial is NEVER hinted at, by the way.

Probably, I assumed it was like the first game where you could choose the dialogue you think wouldn't progress the story first so you could choose most of them before moving on. Like asking questions of my own before giving him an answer. I think I asked about the Dragon.

Also, Geralt cursed tons in the first game. WTH version did you play?

I played the last 3 chapters within the last 2 days and even if he did cuss it didn't feel forced and angsty like that fuck you was or else I would remember it. The Geralt in the first game was too busy getting philosophical to just spout cuss words in such a contrived way.

Van Buren

the_prime_mover said:
Geez, how big is the CDProjekt art team? This game is absolutely gorgeous. So far an improvement over TW1 in every way, but also so much better looking than most every other game I have seen.

With Witcher 1 and 2, I think CDPR easily takes the crown as far as creating medieval fantasy art is concerned.

The game looks and sounds incredible from you guys' testimonies, though I'm actually kind of glad I can't afford it right now as it seems it'll definitely also benefit from a patch or two.

notatalljealousnotatalljealousnotatalljealous

Exuro

Good god after not being able to find a repalcement for Aerondight I found an epic silver sword while exploring called Blood Sword. I am excite.

Mister_Bubbles said:
The game looks and sounds incredible from you guys' testimonies, though I'm actually kind of glad I can't afford it right now as it seems it'll definitely also benefit from a patch or two.

Yeah it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom