• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Chiggs said:
Well, I was referring to the content of the game itself, especially some incredibly rough and explicit dialogue that I don't think would make the cut on major consoles.

Oh, and vaginas.

There's a lot of darker, implied shit too. Like rape. And of course there's the incest.

KILL THE SISTER FUCKER!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Tokubetsu said:
There's a lot of darker implied shit too. Like rape.

For sure. The game deals with an incredible amount of adult content. Not saying that it handles it in the most mature fashion, but it certainly doesn't shy away from the nastier side of life.

Exuro

Man I am absolutely stuck. I have no idea how to kill
Draug
in chapter 2. I'm getting owned over and over. >_>

Also, does anyone know where the bonus content is stored with the Steam version?

Tokubetsu

Chiggs said:
For sure. The game deals with an incredible amount of adult content. Not saying that it handles it in the most mature fashion, but it certainly doesn't shy away from the nastier side of life.

Depending on certain stuff you choose in Chapter 1, some serious stuff goes down. It's pretty bleak and nasty for sure. Another thing I love about this setting is the balance they've found with magic/mages/sorceresses. They're powerful as hell but it all comes at a cost. When I realized what was going in the intro for Chapter 2, it's kind of a holy fuck moment.

sflufan

Banned
Exuro said:
Man I am absolutely stuck. I have no idea how to kill
Draug
in chapter 2. I'm getting owned over and over. >_>

Also, does anyone know where the bonus content is stored with the Steam version?

Look under "Tools"

Sullen

I'm surprised at how well this game runs. Runnning it on hardware that is 2 to 4 years old and I still squeeze good performance out of high settings.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, i messaged CDP on the whole disc install thing and there is something endearing about their very long, personalized, poor English message responses. I also like the "For the epic win!" at the end of the message. It at least put a smile on my face during this mess.

They suggested i download something called Total Commander and use that... gonna try that now.

LiK

Alright, I was able to copy over the problematic data2.bin file from The Witcher 2 DVD using my older laptop DVD drive to an external HDD. Jesus. Try it guys.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, first day really delving into the game. Fantastic so far. I can't find a single thing that hasn't been improved over the first.

antonz

Sullen said:
I'm surprised at how well this game runs. Runnning it on hardware that is 2 to 4 years old and I still squeeze good performance out of high settings.
They did a great job on their new engine for sure. Scales well with hardware and really shines.

Deadly

GhostRidah said:
Everytime I try and close a nest Geralt just keeps saying "I have to close up this nest" am I missing a item or something?
Yes you need an explosive bomb, grapeshots IIRC. Cedric sells some.

antonz said:
They did a great job on their new engine for sure. Scales well with hardware and really shines.
I agree with this for the most part but not supporting 16:10 and only having a DX9 renderer are a bit disappointing.

sflufan

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
So, i messaged CDP on the whole disc install thing and there is something endearing about their very long, personalized, poor English message responses. I also like the "For the epic win!" at the end of the message. It at least put a smile on my face during this mess.

They suggested i download something called Total Commander and use that... gonna try that now.

Now THAT is sadly hilarious!

I'm not sure how that will work though as it has to get the file from the DVD, but please let us know how it works!

Link0080

~Kinggi~ said:

I have the same issue, did it work?

I am really going to be having an internal struggle tonight... continue with the witcher 2 or play LA Noire which I just picked up.

Probably will end up playing LA Noire all night tonight and that's all well and good, but when it comes to this weekend - what takes preference!?!?!

Probably will go through LA first because I want Witcher to last as long as possible.

Why is it that I continually feel like saying "this game is so good" in every post that I make. I feel like I'm just repeating myself and don't have anything more to say.

I want to point out every little thing that I like about the game, but then I feel like I'd be sitting there for hours writing out the list when I could just say "everything".

GhostRidah said:
Everytime I try and close a nest Geralt just keeps saying "I have to close up this nest" am I missing a item or something?
If you have Grapeshot bombs that prompt leads to Geralt planting one and blowing up the nest.

You don't have to actually throw one.

Deadly

Sucks that there seems to be a limit to the respawning in the forest, I really want to finish Melitele's Heart and Mystic River but nobody seems to have figured out how and since I won't progress there's nothing much to do =(

sflufan

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
NO :(

I even tried some of the different copy settings in total commander. Doesnt seem to make a difference. Its failing at the exact same spots.

My only other suggestion for you is to update the firmware of your drives.

Varna

Haven't been able to find an answer... Can I sell diagrams and still brew the potions and craft equipment? Do you learn it like in the first game?

EDIT: And holy shit at the "side" quest in this game. They are really elaborate.

toasty_T said:
If you have Grapeshot bombs that prompt leads to Geralt planting one and blowing up the nest.

You don't have to actually throw one.

Grapeshot bombs.... ahhh, I thought it was Beehive or something.

What controls that you move on to Chapter 2? Do you have a choice like "are you ready" or something?
Is it the battle with the Kayran?

Edit- Although it's hardly a spoiler, I thought it would be better to spoiler tag it rather than not. Above in the spoiler tags is the name of a big monster in chapter 1.

LiK

HAHA, great, i'm installing the disc files from HDD as recommended by CDP and it's not asking for the disc 2 files after the disc 1 contents are installed. WTF.

Exuro

ColonialRaptor said:
Grapeshot bombs.... ahhh, I thought it was Beehive or something.

What controls that you move on to Chapter 2? Do you have a choice like "are you ready" or something? Is it the battle with the Kayran?
There's
a bit of stuff to do after the Kayran. You'll know when the chapter is nearing its end.

Amagon

So I got the CE of this game from Amazon and not really satisfied with it. Obviously the head bust was scuffed and chipped in the package and the art book is nice but wish I should of gotten the premium edition instead. Will it be a hassle to try and get a refund from since its been opened (unplayed) and the bust is damage?

1stStrike

Banned
Okay so I fucked up at
Loredo's Estate and got caught, losing out on my chance to get the Iron Frame by sneaking to it and I can't seem to get back into his estate. Is there any way for me to get it now or am I fucked?

LiK

THE NO LIFE KING said:
So I got the CE of this game from Amazon and not really satisfied with it. Obviously the head bust was scuffed and chipped in the package and the art book is nice but wish I should of gotten the premium edition instead. Will it be a hassle to try and get a refund from since its been opened (unplayed) and the bust is damage?

refunds are easy if the package is damaged and youre not satisfied. Amazon won't question it.

I just tried to reinstall TW2 retail from HDD twice and it doesn't ask for Disc 2 contents so i cannot get it to install the game fully. F THIS. gonna return it and buy the digital version when i finish TW1. all this trouble, i am so annoyed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LiK said:
refunds are easy if the package is damaged and youre not satisfied. Amazon won't question it.

I just tried to reinstall TW2 retail from HDD twice and it doesn't ask for Disc 2 contents so i cannot get it to install the game fully. F THIS. gonna return it and buy the digital version when i finish TW1. all this trouble, i am so annoyed.
Hold on a sec cause i may be having success with another method im trying atm. I should know in 25 minutes if it worked.

LiK

~Kinggi~ said:
Hold on a sec cause i may be having success with another method im trying atm. I should know in 25 minutes if it worked.

okay. this is just infuriating. never had such a major issue installing any PC games before.

Oh, and by the way - I have always been an 'inverted' gamer but I had to make myself get used to it for this game, and - I've been converted and have become used to moving the camera without being inverted now... it's going to be interesting to see what happens when I go into other games now and see whether I can handle it in those games or not...

1stStrike

Banned
You guys installing it... I went about it in a really odd way since I bought the disk without actually having a working cd/dvd drive (stupid, I know).

So, I installed alcohol 120%, extracted them as ISO's on another computer (having SecuRom checked) and then installed them off two USB stick (1 disk on each) which were mounted on two virtual drives... and the install went off without a hitch.

*coughs*

I don't recommend anyone ever do that unless they're in some funky circumstances, though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh hells yeah, just got past my crash point.

Use something called PowerISO. Its a disc mounter and virtual drive system.

http://www.poweriso.com/download.htm

Install and then right click on the dvd in My Computer and say "Make Image File' using the power iso menu. Extract to ISO. On both of my dvd drives it hasnt crashed yet. Im at 66% right now after always crashing at 50%.

Cool thing about this is that you can then mount the iso as a virtual disc, essentially treating it just as a DVD. Cross my fingers it doesnt crash!

^ I'd say two simultaneous posts finding the solution is pretty badass.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I need some Flotsam advice, don't want to screw up my game.

Should I
drink Lawrence the alchemist's "test" potion in Flotsam?
?

LiK

1stStrike said:
You guys installing it... I went about it in a really odd way since I bought the disk without actually having a working cd/dvd drive (stupid, I know).

So, I installed alcohol 120%, extracted them as ISO's on another computer (having SecuRom checked) and then installed them off two USB stick (1 disk on each) which were mounted on two virtual drives... and the install went off without a hitch.

*coughs*

I don't recommend anyone ever do that unless they're in some funky circumstances, though.

~Kinggi~ said:
Oh hells yeah, just got past my crash point.

Use something called PowerISO. Its a disc mounter and virtual drive system.

http://www.poweriso.com/download.htm

Install and then right click on the dvd in My Computer and say "Make Image File' using the power iso menu. Extract to ISO. On both of my dvd drives it hasnt crashed yet. Im at 66% right now after always crashing at 50%.

Cool thing about this is that you can then mount the iso as a virtual disc, essentially treating it just as a DVD. Cross my fingers it doesnt crash!

^ I'd say two simultaneous posts finding the solution is pretty badass.

damn, i don't wanna do all that. in fact, we shouldn't need to go through all these hoops just to install a game we bought. anyway, gonna return it and get it off Steam later. really too annoyed atm.

Xtyle

Got to chapter 1 and played to the part in village. This game is INSANE. It is amazingly detailed and beautiful. Playing at 1080, most on ultra, no AA, no Ubersample, LOD on normal. Actually, is there a big difference between shadow high and shadow ultra?

markot

Banned
Zzoram said:
The Witcher 2 isn't sitting that high in the Steam activity charts. Only around 8500 peak.
All the games above it are steamworks. How many people here bought it on gog.com >_<? I know I did!

Xtyle

ColonialRaptor said:
So which path is everyone taking?

Mage? Swordsman? Or Alchemist?

Can't path yet but I am totally going Swordsman. Fuck that magical and mixing bottles shit. Totally going badass sword fighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom