• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm at my wits end. Game installs fine but when I go to input my cd key , the game wont recognize any input from my keyboard, tried 3 different keyboards and nada, cant even paste it in.
This is windows 7 ultimate 64 and the retail ver. of the game. I've disabled both UAC and my antivirus and tried all compatibility modes and still nothing. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Google is coming up dry.

Gattsu25

Banned
Cday said:
Probably, I assumed it was like the first game where you could choose the dialogue you think wouldn't progress the story first so you could choose most of them before moving on. Like asking questions of my own before giving him an answer. I think I asked about the Dragon.
I did the same thing.

Also, as an added bonus you get to see the Triss scene you missed out on.
Mister_Bubbles said:
The game looks and sounds incredible from you guys' testimonies, though I'm actually kind of glad I can't afford it right now as it seems it'll definitely also benefit from a patch or two.
Yeah, you can tell that this game was designed with consoles in mind when you see people are already looking forward to patches so soon after release.

Deadly

Sober said:
Huh, really? I mean, I got it but I have no idea what triggered it.

Also, the Kingslayer in Act 1, WHAT THE FUCK
that asshole Letho is pretty tough on normal, spams Quen like an asshole and then steals my steel sword? What a jerk.

So fun though.

Oh, and regarding the Mystic River quests,
do I have to wait to move onto the next act or something to continue it?
Your sword is on the ground, I thought he had stolen it too :lol

Prologue abilities AFAIK:
Backstabber
Cover
Strong Back

Oh and if you're looking for easy money, the last arm wrestling guy, Bartholomew is repeatable and gives 200 each time. The quest complete also shows up every time with 20xp though I'm not sure if the XP is granted. I'm guessing this is a glitch and this wasn't suppose to be repeatable once it's done.

Gattsu25

Banned
SteveO409 said:
this prob has been motion alot in this thread but.....this game really owns with a gamepad lol
So when you are selecting signs...you don't use the analog stick to smoothly select options on the radial menu like you would expect, do you? It controls as if you are using the D-Pad even if you are using the stick?

Hixx

Gattsu25 said:
So when you are selecting signs...you don't use the analog stick to smoothly select options on the radial menu like you would expect, do you? It controls as if you are using the D-Pad even if you are using the stick?

Selecting Signs is weird with the gamepad. You can use the stick to push left to get the Signs but then you're better off using the d-pad to select. It really should have just been a proper radial menu. Oh well.

Gattsu25

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Selecting Signs is weird with the gamepad. You can use the stick to push left to get the Signs but then you're better off using the d-pad to select. It really should have just been a proper radial menu. Oh well.
Hoh well. At first I thought my controller was busted. Late last night I figured it out, though.

Controller seems great, from what little I played of it.

Amir0x

Banned
Corto said:
It's not raping, fool. It's love making. You just have to surrender to it.

Seriously CD Projekt just shamed all other major developers. Literally just whipped out cock and pissed in faces world wide.

How is this game possible? Oh my rig it looks like the hand of God was involved

Exuro

For those that have past chapter 2,
In the harpy den there's a boulder that seems to be magical by some means. Also, there's a chest there that requires a key. What do I do with the boulder and where is the key?

Van Buren

Gattsu25 said:
Hoh well. At first I thought my controller was busted. Late last night I figured it out, though.

Controller seems great, from what little I played of it.

It's not just sign selection that is a bit wonky - choosing which dice to reroll can take a while using the gamepad.

Vaporak

I'm glad to see how much more interest there is in TW2 compared to TW1 on GAF; it's probably a good indication of PC-GAF being less of a minority than we were a few years ago. :D

dork

Banned
Amir0x said:
Seriously CD Projekt just shamed all other major developers. Literally just whipped out cock and pissed in faces world wide.

My guess is they got to take their time and make it how they wanted without some big greedy developer company getting their hands in it and rushing the game.

Slo

Hi guys, two questions:

1) I want to register my game so I can download the DLC, and it tells me to look on the back of the box. I got it through Steam, where should I look?

2) Where should I place my Witcher 1 saves to get them picked up? When I select New Game now it says Witcher 1 saves are unavailable.

Ceebs

Vaporak said:
I'm glad to see how much more interest there is in TW2 compared to TW1 on GAF; it's probably a good indication of PC-GAF being less of a minority than we were a few years ago. :D
And a combo of the constant steam sales of the original and the people that played it bringing it up in ever "best..." or "Need an RPG" thread.

Corto

Amir0x said:

I love some of the environments, the light effects (bloom off though), the textures, etc, but what always makes me drop my jaw are the details on clothes and armors. Holy Jebus! To go to that detail... Wow.

Exuro

Hmm think I found a bug in chapter 2.
When you get the spearhead from Skalan he says he'll play you more for more stuff. The first reward is a sword and the second is a cloak. I only received the cloak though. I restarted and did the dice match over and I still didn't get the sword.

Zeal

Banned
if this doesn't at least get some serious game of the year nominations (and win them), i'm gonna hunt motherfuckers down.

the new saying is now "But can it run Witcher 2?"

RedSwirl

Cday said:
The first five minutes of this game are ridiculous. No group styles, but you're expected to defeat a dozen guards who attack you simultaneously and will kill you in 2 seconds. Oh and you will also randomly catch on fire and die, this is normal. You have potions but we're not gonna tell you how to use them! Or do combat for that matter. Also Triss has been turned into some round-headed teenage bimbo and Geralt all the sudden says "Fuck You" like it's something he always says. Wow Geralt, you're so edgy. This is awful.

Yeah about that. I still haven't figured that out yet. I figured out that you can't equip potions to your pockets.

Man this is like discussing what secrets everyone figured out in NES games or something. This is why they just gave you the guide if you pre-ordered.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, 2 hours into the game and I realized, I won't enjoy this game having not played Witcher 1. So I'm putting Witcher 2 on the shelf and buying Witcher 1 off Steam and will try to work my way through it over the next few weeks, then I can move on.

Vestal

Amir0x said:

The raised the bar too fucking high lol. Seriously visually no other game comes close, and the attention to detail is just retarded.. Then we see how they refined the basic game mechanics from witcher 1 and just IMO perfected them and well WOW..

Too bad I have to sleep and work, if not I would not leave my computer desk..

Oh and 360 gamepad > Keyboard and mouse for this game. It just feels alot better like that.

Side note, for those trying to use xfire, just drop it even with the tweaks through Radeonpro it just doesnt feel as crisp compared to a single card. Just hold out for the official profile which I assume is coming soon..

I basically just OCed 1 of my 5770 to 925core 1400memory and im getting 40-60 in Flotsam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:
Yeah about that. I still haven't figured that out yet. I figured out that you can't equip potions to your pockets.

Man this is like discussing what secrets everyone figured out in NES games or something. This is why they just gave you the guide if you pre-ordered.

I guess skimming through manuals or reading the in-game tutorials is a lost art. Those are always the places I check first when I feel like I'm missing something.

robotrock

Banned
Having trouble! So, in chapter 1
I have got this special mold thingie, and I have to make an antidote. Mongoose something, I believe. Where do I go to make this antidote?

RedSwirl said:

Potions are used from the meditation window. It doesn't seem like you can use potions during combat situations so you have to use them before hand as preemptive buffs.

RedSwirl

Zefah said:
I guess skimming through manuals or reading the in-game tutorials is a lost art. Those are always the places I check first when I feel like I'm missing something.

Yeah I just did that. First time in probably over a decade I actually learned something from the manual.

Like I said, TW2 feels like a freaking SNES game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
robotrock said:
Having trouble! So, in chapter 1
I have got this special mold thingie, and I have to make an antidote. Mongoose something, I believe. Where do I go to make this antidote?

Alls you gotta do is open the radial and use alchemy, much like any other potion. Bought to fire this game up, I have a huge fucking monster to slay.

Van Buren

RedSwirl said:
Yeah I just did that. First time in probably over a decade I actually learned something from the manual.

Like I said, TW2 feels like a freaking SNES game.
Heh, this is how PC RPGs used to be during the nineties and before. It's just reviving its forgotten heritage of expecting a modicum of effort from the player to keep up.

robotrock

Banned
Snuggler said:
Alls you gotta do is open the radial and use alchemy, much like any other potion. Bought to fire this game up, I have a huge fucking monster to slay.

Oh, alright. I'll go try that now. Thanks!

RedSwirl said:
Jesus black dick Christ. This could potentially turn out to be the best action RPG I've ever played, Japanese or Western. I actually wouldn't feel bad playing this on a console either. Interested in seeing how the 360 version turns out.

I'm still not done with the prologue yet, but medium difficulty feels like a freaking Super NES game. The combat definitely feels like Arkham Asylum, but I still haven't gotten parrying down. I figured out that the right analog stick does targeting, but when I'm in the thick of it up on one guy, I can't get Gerault to turn to another guy and parry in time. Protips?

Definitely agree with the fact that this could be the best RPG of all time. But I couldn't play it on a console, part of what makes it so good is the graphics, without the immersion and complete world it wouldn't be as good IMO.

Parrying is difficult. You can't just stand there and hold parry in order to block enemies attacks because it uses up your vigor.

Zeliard said:
Haha the dragon part isn't too great and I agree with the complaints there, if you keep dying just turn it down to easy temporarily. The dragon fire stuff is only a short portion.

As far as the characterizations, try perhaps playing more than the first 5 minutes of a 30+ hour story before trying to conclude anything. Both Geralt and Triss are stronger and better-realized characters than they were in the first.

When I say "a nod to DS" I don't necessarily mean it was successful or effectively implemented. :p I didn't like that part either, especially as an introduction, but it didn't last long.

I didn't die once in the Dragon part... I didn't find that the Dragon attacks were random at all... did people look up? BTW Zeliard I'm not necessarily saying that you didn't do it right but you quoted a comment from a quote of a long line of comments and quotes and I'm just joining in the discussion there :)

Sethos said:
Okay, 2 hours into the game and I realized, I won't enjoy this game having not played Witcher 1. So I'm putting Witcher 2 on the shelf and buying Witcher 1 off Steam and will try to work my way through it over the next few weeks, then I can move on.

Which part of the game was it and what happened that made you feel this way because I actually felt the opposite. I actually feel like I'm getting MORE out of this game having not played The Witcher all through. I've played it a bit so I got a handle on how most of the world works and most of the characters, but I didn't complete it (I understand what happened pretty much completely though). I'm really interested to know what made this happen for you.

I'm also interested to hear how you go at having to go back to The Witcher after playing this amazingly refined masterpiece.

Spat_triate

Corto said:
I love some of the environments, the light effects (bloom off though), the textures, etc, but what always makes me drop my jaw are the details on clothes and armors. Holy Jebus! To go to that detail... Wow.

Yup, the texture work is mind boggling.

This game shits on every other RPG produced so far this generation (especially DA2's lolworthy design).

Tokubetsu

I grapped riposte in the swordsman tree as soon as I could and kinda regret it. The window they give you is so brief for most enemies, you pretty much never use it.

Solo

I think that, for the combination of technical prowess + artistic merit + performance, this is the best looking game of all time. I'm constantly left in awe.

Tokubetsu

Solo said:
I think that, for the combination of technical prowess + artistic merit + performance, this is the best looking game of all time. I'm constantly left in awe.

Good to see you again Solo. Were you banned?

Van Buren

Tokubetsu said:
I grapped riposte in the swordsman tree as soon as I could and kinda regret it. The window they give you is so brief for most enemies, you pretty much never use it.

Does it even light up every time ? I seem to suck at using it, and it seems to be quite a risky maneuver. I wish the riposte prompt was accompanied with rumble.

Tokubetsu

Van Buren said:
Does it even light up every time ? I seem to suck at using it, and it seems to be quite a risky maneuver. I wish the riposte prompt was accompanied with rumble.

Yea, I swear it doesn't even show up more than half the time. That, or conditions for it are very specific. The most consistent I've seen it was when I was fighting wraiths.

Solo

Cday said:
The one archaic holdout in The Witcher 2 is the lip syncing.

Animation overall is definitely the weakest link. NPC animation anyways - everything else animates beautifully.

syoaran

I've never had to ask a question like this during a playthough, but its really annoying me now:

Chapter1 minor spoiler:
How the hell do I get past the pissing guard in Indecent Proposal and sneaking about the place? Every time I climb the ledge, no matter the timing or speed - he always turns around.........

The game is gorgeous. I don't have a powerful rig compared to some here, but everything in this game is set to max except ubersambling and the game is above 30fps at all times. Just fantastic artwork. I hope a minor patch comes out to balance the sound levels for headphones, sometimes people sound too quiet.

A lot of the lines in this game... just wow. Love it.

Sethos

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Which part of the game was it and what happened that made you feel this way because I actually felt the opposite. I actually feel like I'm getting MORE out of this game having not played The Witcher all through. I've played it a bit so I got a handle on how most of the world works and most of the characters, but I didn't complete it (I understand what happened pretty much completely though). I'm really interested to know what made this happen for you.

I'm also interested to hear how you go at having to go back to The Witcher after playing this amazingly refined masterpiece.

The prologue. The fact that I know none of the characters, none of the events they are referring to, none of the backstory, nothing whatsoever - I can't enjoy a game like that when I know there IS somewhere I can get all that. Perhaps some can just jump in and enjoy the game but my inner OCD is killing me by just playing Witcher 2 bareback.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some minor issues I have with the game:

1.) Story becomes ridiculously hard to follow later on. Seems very dense.

2.) So two people can't go through a door at the same time? Lame!

3.) I really dislike the "jump ledges." Makes things seem very unnatural.

Luthos

So I'm getting some trophies fighting enemies in Chapter 1. Is there somewhere I can turn them in, like in Witcher 1? Or are they just for selling to a store, or hanging on my belt?

Wallach

Sethos said:
The prologue. The fact that I know none of the characters, none of the events they are referring to, none of the backstory, nothing whatsoever - I can't enjoy a game like that when I know there IS somewhere I can get all that. Perhaps some can just jump in and enjoy the game but my inner OCD is killing me by just playing Witcher 2 bareback.

I think that is the right call. Plus that way the file you import will contain all of the choices from your TW1 playthrough so you'll understand the context of all of that.

Tokubetsu

syoaran said:
I've never had to ask a question like this during a playthough, but its really annoying me now:

Chapter1 minor spoiler:
How the hell do I get past the pissing guard in Indecent Proposal and sneaking about the place? Every time I climb the ledge, no matter the timing or speed - he always turns around.........

The game is gorgeous. I don't have a powerful rig compared to some here, but everything in this game is set to max except ubersambling and the game is above 30fps at all times. Just fantastic artwork. I hope a minor patch comes out to balance the sound levels for headphones, sometimes people sound too quiet.

A lot of the lines in this game... just wow. Love it.

You have to knock him out. Sneak up behind him and hit right mouse button (it's a prompt)

Luthos said:
So I'm getting some trophies fighting enemies in Chapter 1. Is there somewhere I can turn them in, like in Witcher 1? Or are they just for selling to a store, or hanging on my belt?

Wondering this too but they do give bonuses for equipping them to your character so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom