• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elemental Stone, Chapter 1? Anyone know if you can get it?

I think I've found out that no you can't get them.

It's such a tease to have recipes and diagrams for things that NEED items that are not available in the Chapter you're in... poop.

Today I probably arm wrestled that guy about 40 times I would say... made myself a cool 8,000 Orens with the effort as well :D

The English Conquistador said:
Does anyone know what determines your spec? I've read here some are spec'd for the magic route, but that's completely locked out for me. Do I get that at a later time, or am I stuck with what I have? :/
You have to pour I think 7 points into Witcher training before alchemy, mage and swordsman open up.

The first few skills you want are in the swordsman tree. Get the one that drops back damage from double, increased roll distance and whirl.

Goddamn the Chapter 1 sidequest
Endrega contract
was brutal for me.
Getting caught in the queen's combo is an insta death

NIN90

Gully State said:
Goddamn the Chapter 1 sidequest
Endrega contract
was brutal for me.
Getting caught in the queen's combo is an insta death

Those encounters were awesome. Just set up traps everywhere before the fight and keep it at distance with bombs and daggers. Or do something else. That's how Witchers fight.

toasty_T said:
You have to pour I think 7 points into Witcher training before alchemy, mage and swordsman open up.

The first few skills you want are in the swordsman tree. Get the one that drops back damage from double, increased roll distance and whirl.

Awesome, thanks a lot for that!

Oh, another question. Sometimes I'll press the Z key to activate my necklace, and obviously the things of interest pop up around me but, I find that sometimes I'll be standing in an area with "power" and nothing happens. It'll eventually disappear as the necklace wears off, and I'll try again and have the same deal.

Is that just me or? :/

NIN90 said:
Those encounters were awesome. Just set up traps everywhere before the fight and keep it at distance with bombs and daggers. Or do something else. That's how Witchers fight.

That's what I ended up doing...sorta (Yrden+ Heavy strikes and bombs+ pots).

I've done quite a few sidequests in chapter 1 so far but looking at the quest lists on witcher wiki, it seems like I have a few more to do (but can't seem to find anyone to trigger them). I haven't killed
Kayran yet-up to getting the mongoose potion made
Are there are a lot more quests in Chapter 1? Or am I almost done?

Also it's kinda disappointing going through my weekly podcast rotation and hearing that none of them have any Witcher 2 discussions. Hopefully there'll be more discussions next week.

Ricker

What the hell just happened?...all the voice overs are gone now,I only see the sub titles,it was working fine before,reloaded several earlier saves to see and nothing...I`m trying to do the stupid little stealth quest called Indecent Proposal,which never works,I always get caught and after a few reloads,the voices stopped...

The game is great but there`s a lot of little glitches and some pretty bad quests or sections so far....oh and QTE with my Witcher?...jesus christ...

Enkidu

Ricker said:
The game is great but there`s a lot of little glitches and some pretty bad quests or sections so far....oh and QTE with my Witcher?...jesus christ...
If you don't like the QTE's why don't you just turn them off?

Tacitus_

ColonialRaptor said:
Elemental Stone, Chapter 1? Anyone know if you can get it?

I think I've found out that no you can't get them.

It's such a tease to have recipes and diagrams for things that NEED items that are not available in the Chapter you're in... poop.

Today I probably arm wrestled that guy about 40 times I would say... made myself a cool 8,000 Orens with the effort as well :D

I found a few in the prologue dungeons, the sneak mission might have had them too.

Ricker

Enkidu said:
If you don't like the QTE's why don't you just turn them off?

Oh you can??? i`ll definetly do that but i`m more concerned on why I lost all the voice overs in the game all of a sudden...If I try to download them via the DLC thing in the launcher I get an error...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ColonialRaptor said:

God damn, for a lousy peasant wallowing in filth he's got it made.

Corky said:
God damn, for a lousy peasant wallowing in filth he's got it made.

Heh... considering I'm going to have nothing to do until the patch comes out because I'm done in Chapter 1 but I don't want to proceed without doing Troll Trouble I'm probably going to spend a couple of hours doing it tomorrow night... will have enough cash for the rest of the game I hope... It's a bit of a grind, but I roll like that in RPG's. Gotta make sure I have every recipe and every diagram before leaving the areas :)

I've invested 26 hours in this bad boy so far and I haven't finished Chapter 1 yet. I am trying to make it last for as long as I possibly can. I'll probably spend some time just walking around the woods tomorrow just fighting enemies even though they're absolutely no match for me at the moment... but even still, I have this major feeling that I don't want to leave Flotsam. But at the same time, I'm really looking forward to some fresh meat in Chapter 2.

Ahhh I love this game. So good.

zlatko

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
Yeah but those are far less annoying.

I thought it gets rid of them altogether or makes you actually be able to have more control in the fights or something.

None of the QTE's in this game were hard, required super slick timing, or lasted long. Annoying is RE quick time events.

Finished the game the second time, didn't rush through Chapter 3 as before. (ending decisions spoilers)
spared Saskia the Dragon, let Letho go

I have to say the ending wraps everything nicely, while at the same time it sets up things for expansion/Witcher 3.

So I guess we know where the plot is going now:
Going to Nilgaard to rescue Yennefer

One thing I didn't like -
not enough exposition given to Wild Hunt. We learn 90% of things from Letho during final confrontation.

P.S. Did anyone notice the game saves one last time during post-credits cutscene?

Van Buren

Chapter 2 Roche path is just amazing with the quests that expect the player to have paid attention to what the NPCs are saying and doing.

The way the journal is written, the constant flashbacks and foreshadowing of what's to come in later games makes the whole experience feel like an adventure written for a novel in an established series, rather than one written for a standalone game. I'm loving it, and eagerly anticipating what's to come in the Witcher universe, even though I'm yet to complete chapter 2.

What kind of specs would I need to run this? I only dabble in the master race side of gaming so I'm not sure what is generally considered a "good enough pc." I'd be using my laptop which is a core i5 450m @ 2.4ghz, ATI mobility radeon HD 5850 and 4ghz of ram, and my monitor can go up to 1920 x 1080. I've seen the Giant Bomb quick look and I thought it looked great. I'm hoping it would look at least that good on my laptop or I don't think I'd bother.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
zlatko said:
I thought it gets rid of them altogether or makes you actually be able to have more control in the fights or something.

None of the QTE's in this game were hard, required super slick timing, or lasted long. Annoying is RE quick time events.
Some times fistfight brawls bug out or something and the prompts show up for like a split second and you simply can't do them right when there's two prompts instead of one. I got through the game just fine on my first playthrough but this happened on my second for some reason and I actually died once in the Flotsam brawl with the executioner. It still had the problem after that but thankfully only got mostly single button prompts so I got hit a bit but finished it.

Potions are an important part of the combat and you should use them. No I am sorry you can't use potions for this boss fight.

What the hell? Why would you do something like that?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
thetrin said:
Quick Chapter 2 question.

I've cleared 3 of the 7 harpy nests, but I haven't cleared the mist yet. Can this quest only be completed once the mist has been cleared?

Never got an answer on this. Anyone?

Corky

Lostconfused said:
Potions are an important part of the combat and you should use them. No I am sorry you can't use potions for this boss fight.

What the hell? Why would you do something like that?

Lemme guess, the fight before that chapter 2 boss?

thetrin said:
Never got an answer on this. Anyone?

Go to quarry, locate one nest, and simply continue dropping the traps when harpies arrive. Each trap will count

Corky said:

I hated the whole sequence, one of few places after Chapter 1 when you can die on Hard/Insane -
no Signs, no roll, GG, go kill 4 enemies

Corky said:
Probably. Its a montser in chapter 2, with a big red bar, and its incredibly annoying. I think I am trying it for the 5th time now. Ugh the Kayren was a brilliant boss fight in comparison to this.

zlatko

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
How do you defeat Letho in Chapter 1 without changing difficulty? This is some ridiculous bullshit going on here.

Quen. Hit him, hit him, roll away. Quen, hit him hit him, roll away.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
_Xenon_ said:
How do you defeat Letho in Chapter 1 without changing difficulty? This is some ridiculous bullshit going on here.
People have given hints for this a billion times. Use bombs and throwing daggers if you have any, dodge all the time (he basically should never hit you if you can dodge decently), get behind him and strike when he's starting his attack animations (except for those that have multiple hits and will turn around to get you even if you get behind him), never try to slash him when he has his shield up, have your own shield up just in case you don't time a dodge properly, and try using the trap sign (after his shield has expired of course) also since sometimes it works and you can get a few strong blows in before starting the process all over again. Also don't try doing combos while in front of him even after you block him, he'll probably do an Aard or something that you won't be able to dodge. You might die before you get the hang of it but then you'll beat him unscathed.

Darklord

Banned
_Xenon_ said:

Took me 2 hours to beat him. Use the force push(I forget the names) when he doesn't have the shield on. Hit him 2-3 times and back away. Keep doing that, plus lay any traps down(they hurt him even with the shield) and throw and daggers and bombs. Use Quen to try and trap him but don't always count on it, it doesn't always trap him.

Corky

Lostconfused said:
Probably. Its a montser in chapter 2, with a big red bar, and its incredibly annoying. I think I am trying it for the 5th time now. Ugh the Kayren was a brilliant boss fight in comparison to this.

Yeah it was sad really, the thing is the whole visual part of that fight is fuckin amazing imo but the fact that :

- you can't save
- forced to play several minutes over if you die ( and given the circumstance it's extra annoying...)
- no potions/meditation etc.
- the boss itself doesn't really make things better since he can end you in one rush

all of the above really made an otherwise amazing fight to a nuisance.

Corky said:
all of the above really made an otherwise amazing fight to a nuisance.
It really is a great example of something that no one should ever ever do when making a game.

Edit: Took a break for a minute, realized what I was doing wrong and set the difficulty to easy. Problem solved.

_Xenon_

Banned
Darklord said:
Took me 2 hours to beat him. Use the force push(I forget the names) when he doesn't have the shield on. Hit him 2-3 times and back away. Keep doing that, plus lay any traps down(they hurt him even with the shield) and throw and daggers and bombs. Use Quen to try and trap him but don't always count on it, it doesn't always trap him.
The problem is he had Quen almost all the time. Whenever it went off he put it on, and it seems his Quen can not be broken (3 hits on his back but it's still on). I tried both force push and trap (didn't have any bomb in hand, didn't learn throwing dagger either) but they didn't help much, mostly because of his shield.

Well I changed the difficulty for that fight anyway ... not like there's some achievement for not changing difficulty or something (I play retail version, no stream achievement for me).

Darklord

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
The problem is he had Quen almost all the time. Whenever it went off he put it on, and it seems his Quen can not be broken (3 hits on his back but it's still on). I tried both force push and trap (didn't have any bomb in hand, didn't learn throwing dagger either) but they didn't help much, mostly because of his shield.

Well I changed the difficulty for that fight anyway ... not like there's some achievement for not changing difficulty or something (I play retail version, no stream achievement for me).

Throwing bombs or using the push sign will stop him putting Quen back on. Keep at close to medium range and he'll do it a lot less as well.

Keikoku

Banned
Act II sidequest, need help :

the ghoul contract (sorry I'm just guessing their names in english). I already found 8 corpses, I'm just misssing one. Here are the locations of the ones I found :

-3 in a sort of canyon near the prophet's house.
-2 near the tower (which is near the whore house)
-3 near the abandoned caravan.

Also, I played poker dices against this dwarf guy in
Vergen
and he rewarded me with a sword, except I can't find it in my inventory. Is this a bug ?

Van Buren

The events that go down in Chapter 2 alone are better than most WRPGs one sees today. The bar's been raised.

That said, a certain encounter towards the end of that chapter is bound to start the debate of whether potions should be allowed in battle or not. I can't even imagine how an alchemy-specced Geralt got through that one on hard the first time, and unless CDPR manages to come up with an elegant solution for this in future games, they ought to go back to the system that was in the first game.

Filth

The letho fight was really really hard on normal. I've had it where I had a good rotation going but when I hit him with the sword and bombs it wouldn't do any damage to him and he didn't have his shield. I thought maybe I missed a sword upgrade or something. Only option was to put it on easy. I think that easy is toooo easy and normal is a bit on the hard side. I can't imagine what insane feels like.

Van Buren said:
The events that go down in Chapter 2 alone are better than most WRPGs one sees today. The bar's been raised.

That said, a certain encounter towards the end of that chapter is bound to start the debate of whether potions should be allowed in battle or not. I can't even imagine how an alchemy-specced Geralt got through that one on hard the first time, and unless CDPR manages to come up with an elegant solution for this in future games, they ought to go back to the system that was in the first game.

I was in the Roche/Henselt camp during Chapter 2. If it's for that side what's this end battle everybody is going on about? I beat the chapter yesterday and I don't recall having too hard a time with anything towards the end.

Discotheque said:
I was in the Roche/Henselt camp during Chapter 2. If it's for that side what's this end battle everybody is going on about? I beat the chapter yesterday and I don't recall having too hard a time with anything towards the end.

The end is the same for both sides. It doesn't matter Alchemy, Magic, or Sword, since people are annoyed
you don't have access to your abilities, signs, etc. all the way until the final boss for the chapter
. Yes, it's frustrating on Hard, esp. the very first fight (3 soldiers + Draugnir).

Kyaw

Keikoku said:
Act II sidequest, need help :

the ghoul contract (sorry I'm just guessing their names in english). I already found 8 corpses, I'm just misssing one. Here are the locations of the ones I found :

-3 in a sort of canyon near the prophet's house.
-2 near the tower (which is near the whore house)
-3 near the abandoned caravan.

Also, I played poker dices against this dwarf guy in
Vergen
and he rewarded me with a sword, except I can't find it in my inventory. Is this a bug ?

You get the meteorite stone, not the sword. I thought the same thing too.

Sober

Van Buren said:

Really? You mean the
re-enactment of the war that took place 3 years ago? It didn't seem that hard on normal
, granted I specced into swordsmanship but I didn't have any of the big DR talents (e.g. Invincible especially) so I didn't see a problem. I thought they just boosted your stats when you
took control of Seltkirk's ghost, because when I did a reload or two and had to fight all those wraiths again I was sometimes surrounded and wailed on but didn't even make a dent in my health pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom