• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was just rewatching the final CG cinematic from The Witcher 1 and came to the startling realization that the in game character models in The Witcher 2 look better then the CG characters in that video. It's a good looking CG cutscene too.

CDPR's Red engine is really something special.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Holy shit, jeeeez reading some of these spoilers it feels like people played a different game than me! I gotta start playing my 2nd playthrough asap.

zlatko

Banned
Zaro said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRyYUA8_HM
!

Hard to tell. He could just be covering up his mouth to prevent the screaming, but there is that word squish sound that makes it seem like
they do go in his mouth.

I'll go with he did. Makes it even more bad ass that way. :D

Level III Igni is so broken. I'm getting full adrenaline after 3 or 4 and doing crazy damage.

Oh and I just saw 'The more you know thing' and lol'd. Shit is getting real

zlatko

Banned
I'm just going to put this out on the table.

I would bust 300 nuts if CDProjekt made a MMORPG set in this universe with these graphics.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
zlatko said:

I would bust 300 nuts if CDProjekt made a MMORPG set in this universe with these graphics.

God no. No no no. No. No. No.

Why waste such talent on shit like an MMO? That would be the worst thing possible.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zlatko said:

Not even sure if that's possible to create a open large seamless world with those level of graphics, considering the areas in The Witcher 2 are pretty far from being open and seamless.

zlatko

Banned
Sinatar said:
God no. No no no. No. No. No.

Why waste such talent on shit like an MMO? That would be the worst thing possible.

Bull shit. This combat, this rich setting, this level of polish/detail in quests, this kind of decision making within story missions you can partake in, so and so forth.

Echoplx

I'd love to see a game set in this world that had you as a Witcher that just finished training set into a huge open world where you can visit all the cities and towns and just kill monsters.

zlatko

Banned
Lafiel said:
Not even sure if that's possible to create a open large seamless world with those level of graphics, considering the areas in The Witcher 2 are pretty far from being open and seamless.

It's possible. Maybe not this very year, but they could go for it after Witcher 3 and a few more expansions I think. Tera online has some really fantastic visuals and comes out this year also a MMO.

I definitely want another Witcher, but I would love to see these guys after concluding the games/story they went to tell here delve into a fantasy MMO set in this games lore. I'd probably become a shut in and never go outside again.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
zlatko said:
Bull shit. This combat, this rich setting, this level of polish/detail in quests, this kind of decision making within story missions you can partake in, so and so forth.

Oh man, take that back. This world and game have do not deserve to be wasted on an MMO.

"Sword Witcher LF Alchemy Witcher for Striga speed run. PST"

fuck that. fuck that!

There are flaws in this game such as a near useless map (I'd like to put my own waypoint(s) in so I can find my way around better), alchemy which will use the items you get from bosses along with other alchemy items so you can easily lose a rare item without even knowing if you don't pay complete attention when making potions, and no storage so I'm running around at max carry weight 90% of the time. Just give me a box to put stuff in.
Also had a weird glitch with the fighting game. After winning them all in Ch 2 I did another one for money. This time however I lost all my health from one punch but I continued and won, only to die immediately the fight finished when I was collecting my prize money.
That said it is a fun game and looks pretty good (even if it does use SpeedTree). But the voice acting is average, the sound balance between music and voice overs is screwed up and the melee feels clumsy (hit detection is well off). Not my game of the year but it's not bad.

zlatko

Banned
Stahsky said:
Oh man, take that back. This world and game have do not deserve to be wasted on an MMO.

"Sword Witcher LF Alchemy Witcher for Striga speed run. PST"

fuck that. fuck that!

I think too many people just match MMO and WoW/EQ together.

Games like Guild Wars 2 are seeking to change the formulas for how MMO's operate for the better, and games like Tera are trying to make combat as exciting as action RPGs like The Witcher 2.

You guys say, "Don't waste their talent on a MMO," but the talent they've shown here with The Witcher 2 would make me feel damn confident if they ever did a MMO it would be something truly unique and raise the bar for what we expect from a MMO. They've already changed my mind what to expect from a western fantasy RPG with the Witcher 2.

If CD ever does a MMO in the future set in this universe then I'll be all over it.

Lostconfused said:
Welp my game just broke. After a vision quest in chapter 2, the quest didn't advance and now Geralt cant meditate, at all. Time to load up an earlier save I guess.

Had the same prob and posted earlier. Went with birbe option and it worked.

I still can't change day/night cycles in chapter 2 and its always daytime.

Is that normal?

zlatko

Banned
I can't find the dice poker music anywhere on youtube and it wasn't in the pre order tracks. Anyone have a link? I REALLY love that song. :D

raphier

Banned
zlatko said:
I think too many people just match MMO and WoW/EQ together.

Games like Guild Wars 2 are seeking to change the formulas for how MMO's operate for the better, and games like Tera are trying to make combat as exciting as action RPGs like The Witcher 2.

You guys say, "Don't waste their talent on a MMO," but the talent they've shown here with The Witcher 2 would make me feel damn confident if they ever did a MMO it would be something truly unique and raise the bar for what we expect from a MMO. They've already changed my mind what to expect from a western fantasy RPG with the Witcher 2.
If CD ever does a MMO in the future set in this universe then I'll be all over it.
the problem with your vision is that you expect the game look and play exactly like TW2. This is not just about the formula, but also from technical aspect it is completely impossible.
The game would ever change if it was done into MMO, because it's not a single-player experience for the first. The game loses it's charm the moment you see hundreds of witchers ploughing around the village for instance.
and for the second, not matter what you wish for, if they do MMO, it's model will NEVER be the same as the single-player experience. Laws of gaming design in the works. You are only to be disappointed with delusional imagination.

Hence the "waste of talent". I'd rather it stay single-player for the reasons you want it to become MMO.

zlatko

Banned
raphier said:
the problem with your vision is that you expect the game look and play exactly like TW2. This is not just about the formula, but also from technical aspect it is completely impossible.
The game would ever change if it was done into MMO, because it's not a single-player experience for the first. The game loses it's charm the moment you see hundreds of witchers ploughing around the village for instance.
and for the second, not matter what you wish for, if they do MMO, it's model will NEVER be the same as the single-player experience. Laws of gaming design in the works. You are only to be disappointed with delusional imagination.

Hence the "waste of talent". I'd rather it stay single-player for the reasons you want it to become MMO.

I completely disagree with what you wrote. You are setting limitations to what is possible and for what?

You don't think the developers could make a game with an ever changing world, still keep this level of awesome with story aspects, decision making, etc? I do. I also never stated everyone or anyone would be a witcher. I'd just like this games universe, maybe set before Geralts time or after the Witcher series is completed and we reach the conclusion of what happens to him. The combat system doesn't have to be the same----it could become even better. Imagine a person setting up traps on the field of battle while another is using mind control to keep the enemy mage from healing, as a ranged player rains damage, and another leads them to the traps. All done in real time and not turn based method much like The Witcher 2.

You think I'm delusional yet I see you as too unwilling to even fathom something completely reasonable and realistic. Great games that push boundaries aren't made by "sticking to the formula." You take bits of the formula and then make your own that makes others look at you as the next bar.

It doesn't have to play exactly like the Witcher 2, but it needs to take as many elements that make it amazing to do make it a worth while MMO. Setting, lore, voice acting, decision making, combat, graphics, music, and more are all 100% capable to be done. You're saying in 3 years from now a MMO with this level of graphical prowess wouldn't be possible on PC? I call bull shit on that, because that's like telling the guys who made Ultima back in the day that a game like Guild Wars 2 will never happen.

I've played MMOs with great story lines. (Final Fantasy XI for example where every expansion was a full fleshed out FF game with characters, settings, and an incredible plot) We've seen the new Star Wars MMO is going for decision making and full voice acting within the MMO.

It's not impossible. Not by a long shot.

Edit: As I've stated I would want this MMO to come AFTER they are done making the games/telling the story they want here with the Witcher series. I'd much rather first get closure on Geralt's tale before any MMO were to be made. Once the Witcher series wraps up though, then a MMO would be something I'd be HIGHLY interested in.

Kyaw

If they can keep the same amount of quality and consistency as Witcher 2 for a MMO in the future with the same level of morally ambiguous choices, i am in.

However it would be very hard for CDPR especially to make a big expansive MMO that have the same level of quality as TW2 in the near future. Maybe in the next 5-6 years. Plus i want to see the end of Geralt's adventures.

Also guys, what is the best way of making money?
I want that dragon scale armour.

hteng

Banned
first chapter is so damn hard because you don't have level or equipment, really don't like game designs like that, it's utterly unforgiving, i don't remember how many times i've died in the bathhouse fight, so damn broken.

chapter 2 and 3 are like cakewalks on the otherhand, especially 3.

Tenck

I really want to play The Witcher 2, but I also want to play L.A Noire :'(

So tough choosing, since I wont have too much cash for a while.

zlatko

Banned
Tenck said:
I really want to play The Witcher 2, but I also want to play L.A Noire :'(

So tough choosing, since I wont have too much cash for a while.

Buy Witcher 2, rent LA Noire.

Problem solved.

Tenck

I guess that could work, but I like to own the games I play. As dumb as that sounds, I like to know that what I play is mine.

zlatko

Banned
Tenck said:
Guess The Witcher 2 it is :)

74231107.jpg

You picked wisely.

zlatko

Banned
Stahsky said:
Where'd you get that gear at?

Not mine. I pulled it from the PC Gaf screenshot thread. I did get that piece of gear though, but it wasn't as good as the first hooded piece you get with a red hood from what I remember.

Check the PC screenshot thread for who posted it and PM them if you want. :(

Stahsky

zlatko said:
Not mine. I pulled it from the PC Gaf screenshot thread. I did get that piece of gear though, but it wasn't as good as the first hooded piece you get with a red hood from what I remember.

Check the PC screenshot thread for who posted it and PM them if you want. :(

Bah! The red hooded one was ugly, though. =/

Stahsky

I just hated having the hood on in cutscenes. Geralt felt like an ass being all hooded while chatting it up.

Quick edit: Also, has anyone here read the English books? I'm crazy interested in them now. But I'm not sure where to start or how many are actually in English?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I wear the armour you get in Act 2 for running around town, and wear the hooded one when fighting, though I doubt the stats make much of a difference.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Stahsky said:
Also, has anyone here read the English books? I'm crazy interested in them now. But I'm not sure where to start or how many are actually in English?

Only 2 are translated so far. Start with Last Wish (collection of short stories) and then Blood of Elves (sequel and uses regular novel format).

Kyaw

I'm sticking to non hooded armours. Hate the look of the hooded ones.

This game needs a patch to remove that shadow dithering thing.
Really ruins the shadows. I want cleaner image quality. :(

suikodan

Darklord said:
I sent them an e-mail 3 days ago and still have heard nothing. :(

I've already missed the DLC in the game and can't use my pre-order dlc code because I can't register my fucking game.
Did you try the patch from their website? It did resolve the registration issue for me.

I'm still wearing what seem like really crappy pants/boots/gloves.

When compared to how often I change my jacket the rest of the equipment doesn't seem to change that often.

Really loving the game so far, 21 hours and I haven't even finished chapter 2, though I think I'm close.

Why do you thrust these decisions on me CDPR?

Early chapter 3 spoiler for Vergen path
Follow the conniving blind bitch and try to stop a freaking dragon or go and save Triss who at this point I'm led to believe was conspiring with said conniving blind bitch

I ended up making two saves. God damn.

I've just reached level 35, Geralt is so beast right now. I switched to hard mode but it's barely a challenge at this point.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still getting black screen in Flotsam when trying to complete the incense quest :(

Still can't create Samum bombs, it seems to work but they never show in my bag :(

Edit: and yep, sure enough the actual materials are all used up, but no bombs :(

Tokubetsu

Couple questions (doing my second play through Act II Roche's path):
What's up with the magical giant fucking endregas/archas in Act II via roche's path? I'm assuming there are 3 of them but only eve found two. One in that grove for the visionary quest and another at the bottom of a small pit. Wheres the third and what would I get for slaying all of them? I couldn't find the third one the first time through

Riposte

This game's biggest failing point is definitely the lack of difficulty about halfway through the game. It is a slow process, but Chapter 3 was boring, even with stuff like Gargoyles. Perhaps a lack of "monster contracts" is worth noting.

EDIT: Think it comes down to Geralt armor and weapon getting too good. Potions became optional at some point, and that's a good sign things are losing interesting. Totally different from early game where I would hunt down a bug queen with heavy preparation.

Dennis

Banned
What is the recommended difficulty setting to keep the game challenging?

Did they come through with the promise of the Ultra Hard Death is Permanent mode?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
toasty_T said:
The first game had a far greater variety of monsters.

A bit disappointed that there aren't any vampires.
I like the design choices much better in this. And they look so damn good thanks to this amazing engine.

DennisK4 said:

Did they come through with the promise of the Ultra Hard Death is Permanent mode?

I'd say start with normal and switch to hard once your abilities make the combat a bit easy (mid-late chapter two) or do a hard run. You can switch difficulty on the fly.

There's insane mode which is harder than hard and any death deletes/nullifies your save so you have to start over.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I like the design choices much better in this. And they look so damn good thanks to this amazing engine.

They are pretty (the harpies look amazing, plus their backstory is really interesting). I would have liked to do a greater variety of witcher work though.

DennisK4 said:

1.) Hard
2.) Yes.

Sinatar said:
I was just rewatching the final CG cinematic from The Witcher 1 and came to the startling realization that the in game character models in The Witcher 2 look better then the CG characters in that video. It's a good looking CG cutscene too.

CDPR's Red engine is really something special.
I thought this as I was playing yesterday. Such a fantastic looking game. :)

Stahsky

DennisK4 said:

Hard will probably be a pain in the ass in the start, but as you gather talents Geralt starts transforming into a badass. And yes, I believe insane mode still functions like so.

I would suggest normal on your first playthrough, but that's just me.

Also, good to see you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom