• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedIC86

Can anyone tell me something about the controls of this game.
First off i plan to play with mouse and keyboard.

When i played part 1, the controlling of the main char felt...well weird and out of place. The animations were really weird an it just did not fell right. The only way to properly do it for me was by mouse click walking. But that was to slow.

So can anyone tell me, how is this in part 2. Does it get controlled better, more natural ? like compare it to world of warcraft or some other rpg.

Thanks

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
*sigh*

I'm so sick of this harpy quest. It costs so much for these stupid traps, and 4 out of the 5 I place don't count as destroying a nest.

Fuck this. I'm continuing with the game.

Zeliard

thetrin said:
*sigh*

I'm so sick of this harpy quest. It costs so much for these stupid traps, and 4 out of the 5 I place don't count as destroying a nest.

Silver ore too pricey?

Lime

thetrin said:
IS there any way to respawn harpies? Anyone? :\

Meditate. Or go away from the area, return and meditate. You'll be interrupted by harpies spawning.

thetrin said:
*sigh*

There's 4 in the valley, and 3 in the caves with the dream crystals. So you only need to place 4 traps in the valley and 3 in the caves.
Any more in each area will waste your traps.

Zeliard

Castor Krieg said:
To all people playing - Dodge roll 200% is mandatory.

Dodge roll +200% is the first thing I spent my two talent points on once the other trees opened up.

If you combine rolling away then hitting a directional button + attack to have Geralt link into some long-range melee move (the rolling thrust, flying stab, etc), you can pretty much do hit and run attacks on any enemy and they can't do shit to you. And you don't have to just jump in and hit them once and then roll back out; you can mess them up with combos as well once you find a good opening, and roll away once you see someone attacking.

Also take into account the space you're able to create for yourself to set up bombs, traps, signs, etc and it's easily one of the most valuable talents.

With my next two talent points I went with +100% bomb and trap damage. Needless to say, that's also quite nice to have.

Tacitus_

Exuro said:
There is a part in Chapter 2 Roche side where you can.

To clarify ploughing Ves. You have to
beat her in a duel and then talk her into it

And after redoing Act 1 on hard (Scoiatel path), the game is so much better after getting rid of backstab damage and getting 200% rolls. Too bad you have to waste 4 talents to get them all.

Anyone playing Alchemy-focused character? I played as Magic and Sword Geralt, and Magic was much better handled imo, the only problem was getting Adrenaline up if you didn't want to spam Igni III, and a bit luckluster 6th Sign.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lime said:
Meditate. Or go away from the area, return and meditate. You'll be interrupted by harpies spawning.

There's 4 in the valley, and 3 in the caves with the dream crystals. So you only need to place 4 traps in the valley and 3 in the caves.
Any more in each area will waste your traps.

Oh gotcha. Okay. What is this cave? I don't even know if I've been there yet.

desverger

Completed it. I think i missed 1 sidequest in the prologue, but that's about it..

Now, I think I'll go and complete it again with different choices.

This one's definitely my GOTY. Doubt anything this year can beat it.. or if so, I'll be very happily surprised :p

edit: I played on hard, most stuff in Swordsmanship tree. Group finishers were quite sick once I got them. I feel like the game was very well balanced on that account, only
the first fight Letho
where i had to
spam him with 200 grapeshots since melee was out of the question

Zeliard

Castor Krieg said:
Anyone playing Alchemy-focused character? I played as Magic and Sword Geralt, and Magic was much better handled imo, the only problem was getting Adrenaline up if you didn't want to spam Igni III, and a bit luckluster 6th Sign.

I'm strongly considering going Alchemy-focused. Beyond the rolling distance there isn't really anything else from the Swordsmanship tree I want or need, outside of the extra Vigor regen during combat, and even then the extra rolling distance lets you get some space to recharge Vigor. Riposte might be fun to test out. Reduced backstab damage I don't need since I'm always rolling out of group danger.

And as far as Magic, I got the level 1 Axii boost since that spell is fun, but beyond that, I don't know if I really want any other upgrades in that category, at least in this playthrough.

Gonna go face Letho soon and see what that fool is all about, then I guess finally
get to Chapter 2

Zeliard said:
I'm strongly considering going Alchemy-focused. Beyond the rolling distance there isn't really anything else from the Swordsmanship tree I want or need, outside of the extra Vigor regen during combat, and even then the extra rolling distance lets you get some space to recharge Vigor. Riposte might be fun to test out. Reduced backstab damage I don't need since I'm always rolling out of group danger.

After going Magic and Sword, there aren't really that many interesting things in Sword apart from rolling distance increase. I played Sword on Normal, Magic on Hard, and things appeared to die even quicker on Hard.

I will probably get Roll from Sword tree, and Quen from Magic tree, and put the rest into Alchemy. Want to test that Mutant ability, plus I'm really curious about all the increased effects of potions and oils.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Going Alchemy focused sounds like a complete pain with how the potion creation and drinking are.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Technology in this game is hella impressive. I mean it is so goddamn beautiful at times. Texture work is amazing. There really inst a technology feature here that doesnt feel like it isnt at the high end of things, other than some texture pop-in when it is loading shit.

All the areas load incredibly quick too. I havent encountered a loading time longer than 4 seconds.

Peff

Zeliard said:
Riposte might be fun to test out.

Eh, not really. I thought it would be like Arkham but the timing is very odd (the sword icon appears for like 0.2 seconds and there's a lot of time to do it even after it's gone) and it can't be done on every enemy. Group damage (Whirl?) and the group finishers are INSANE, though, it almost turns the game intro Press A for Awesome, or x for Xtreme in this case.

Zeliard

Potion drinking is perfect.

Potion creation does have some issues. In concept it's great but some of the mechanics are goofy.

When you're creating potions or bombs or whatever, you can replace individual ingredients with ones you have much more of. If you don't do that the game will default to certain ones (with no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell), and if you're not careful they could be important items, like a troll's tongue or otherwise rare items you may need for something else.

I'm curious how many people have no idea about this and have just been hitting "create" in the alchemy screen without looking at what ingredients the game chose for them.

The other issue is that when you replace ingredients with ones you do have large quantities of, every time you create a single item it reverts back to the default ingredients, which is an incredible annoyance. It just makes no sense why they did that.

RaPt[+]R

Neo Member
Hey guys, I need some help with a quest - I'm currently in chapter 2 on the subterranean life quest where Geralt needs to descend into a mine and find a herb to heal the Dragonslayer woman. Unfortunately, the door I need to use to get deeper into the mine is locked and I cannot find the key. Does anyone know where this key is located?

Thanks for the help!

desverger

Zeliard said:
Potion creation does have some issues. In concept it's great but some of the mechanics are goofy.

When you're creating potions or bombs or whatever, you can replace individual ingredients with ones you have much more of. If you don't do that the game will default to certain ones (with no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell), and if you're not careful they could be important items, like a troll's tongue or otherwise rare items you may need for something else.

I'm curious how many people have no idea about this and have just been hitting "create" in the alchemy screen without looking at what ingredients the game chose for them.

The other issue is that when you replace ingredients with ones you do have large quantities of, every time you create a single item it reverts back to the default ingredients, which is an incredible annoyance. It just makes no sense why they did that.

If you had to pick one single issue that annoyed me in this game, this was definitely it :p

That, and the vast quantities of alchemy ingredients available. The game didn't even need pickable herbs, I always had 50 times the alchemy ingredients I needed from slicing up monsters and looting them.

Though, I don't want to end up on a negative note, this was a minor annoyance in an otherwise perfect game.

zlatko said:
It's pretty much the answer to any point in the game you get beat up at. I got it to level 3 and made it hit multiple enemies as well. Once that happens you can just go up to shit and star wailing away, since anytime they hit you they get stunned and leave themselves open for a big flurry. Once it wears off, then you roll away to recast.

Best spell in the game. :D

Yeah I both love and hate this spell. In the later half of the game it makes fights a bit too easy. Granted I'm playing on normal lol

I was dying like crazy before I made use of quen. Now I dodge less. In my next playthrough I'm gonna use it much less. Hell I'll probably not even level it up.

Ikuu

Does anyone know how much of an impact importing your Witcher save actually has on the world? I can't remember my choices from the save I imported, so I've got no idea.

thetrin

Lime said:
The cave is in the valley. You can't miss the door/entrance to it.

Oh, I had to finish the quest to get the key. That's why I hadn't been there yet.

Xtyle

Sinatar said:
EDIT: Here's a shot of Geralt kitted out in all the best stuff in the game, snipped out the spoilery stuff.

untitledzulr.jpg

Didn't play for days (due to L.A Noire)
I thought the customizable armors don't show up in game. WoW so they do? Awesome!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ikuu said:
Does anyone know how much of an impact importing your Witcher save actually has on the world? I can't remember my choices from the save I imported, so I've got no idea.

It didn't feel like alot of things carried over.

Example:

I thought that Ivorveth would act cooler towards me since I sided with the non-humans in TW1, but no one ever brought up whose side I was on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pankaks said:
I thought that Ivorveth would act cooler towards me since I sided with the non-humans in TW1, but no one ever brought up whose side I was on.

During a conversation in ch. 2, he briefly referenced
Yaevinn and the fact that I sided with him. Apparently Ior thinks Yaevinn was an idealist and wasn't that impressed with my choice.

Van Buren

Just got done with Chapter 2 (Roche side), any my actions have had the unintended consequence of the Northern Kingdoms devolving into utter political instability. Love it.

A question for those who chose Roche's side in chapter 2 :
Geralt remarked to Roche that Ves was lying when she said Dethmold allowed her to escape. Is there more to this story in Chapter 3 ? Where do I run into Ves in Chapter 3 ? Try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible since I'm just starting the chapter.

Kyaw

Where are the harpy nests? Where is this cave mentioned above?
Is this out of the back entrance (Mage tower) of Vergen or the front entrance (succubus lair)?

Max

I am not Max
got this weird glitch where my steel sword has disappeared from my inventory slot even though i'm holding it

beginning of chapter 2
after the tournament

Lime

Kyaw said:
Is this out of the back entrance (Mage tower) of Vergen or the front entrance (succubus lair)?

Front Entrance. To the south, in a huge valley.

Zeliard

Ikuu said:
Because they get injected(?) straight into Geralt and there is no way to remove them.

And from a gameplay standpoint it's because it's a choice you're meant to live with, which how choice & consequence pretty much works in The Witcher.

Xtyle

Ikuu said:
Because they get injected(?) straight into Geralt and there is no way to remove them.

Maybe so, but it is a very bad game design decision. Imagine in FF7 that all the materias are not swappable.

Ikuu

Zeliard said:
And from a gameplay standpoint it's because it's a choice you're meant to live with, which how choice & consequence pretty much works in The Witcher.
Speaking of choices, I wish they would have used the timer during conversations more, seemed to only pop-up a few times.

Xtyle

Zeliard said:

But the problem is that there are upgradable version of the mutagens.

They should at least let you upgrade a mutagen that has the same type of effect. Say example, strength 6 mutagen replace strength 2 mutagen. Is that so hard?

Ikuu

bigben85 said:
Maybe so, but it is a very bad game design decision. Imagine in FF7 that all the materias are not swappable.
Not really, nothing wrong with making people make choices and have to stick with them.

Exuro

Zeliard said:
As much as I like that idea it doesn't work well for mutagens. Mutagens themselves should be made more rare. Near the end of my game I had nearly 100 of them that were all useless except a few greater ones that I used. Gameplay wise it was implemented rather poorly.

IF I could overwrite a mutagen with a more powerful version of itself while keeping the same type I would much prefer that over wait until the last hour of the game to use them.

bigben85 said:
But the problem is that there are upgradable version of the mutagens.

They should at least let you upgrade a mutagen that has the same type of effect. Say example, strength 6 mutagen replace strength 2 mutagen. Is that so hard?
Meh, you're really over thinking it.

My first build only had 2 mutagen slots, didn't really matter.

Max said:
how come the steam install is 16GB and i have to download the 1.4GB bonus content separately?
Because the game is 16gb, the only thing that was 9 gigs was the compressed download from GOG, final install size is 16.

Pankaks said:
It didn't feel like alot of things carried over.

Example:

In Chapter 3
you can only enter through the main gate if you sided with the Order

thetrin

Kyaw said:

Neither. You get a key for it after you do some story quests.

Discotheque said:
Can you only add mutagens to talents in "The witcher" path? it seems like other paths don't give me the option.
Mutagens are all late tree, I think.

Second run and I'm REALLY impressed with how decisions affect the flow.

Prologue:
First time I killed the motherfucker on the castle wall, so I had his mother and the ambassador from Nilfgaard help me escape. Obviously the castle didn't get exploded, but you also come out in a different place and pretty much have to kill a handful of guards without being able to avoid them.

Chapter 1:
There must be at least 3 different outcomes to the Flotsam, possibly more. First time I joined Roche and we stormed Loredo's house and killed him, rescued the pregnant elf and then gave her baby to her elven beloved after she died during childbirth. Second time I went to the prison barge with Iorveth, then chose to rescue the imprisoned elven women rather than chase Loredo, so that makes chasing down Loredo while on the Iorveth path the third.

Anybody encounter any others?

Chapter 2:
I'm in the first section of the second chapter now. The opener is basically the same but a lot easier because dwarves kick way more arse than Henselt's soldiers. The main quests are obviously totally different though, and quite a bit more fun. Also Vergen is a much more appealing place to be based than that muddy camp.

Exuro

jim-jam bongs said:
Second run and I'm REALLY impressed with how decisions affect the flow.

Prologue:
First time I killed the motherfucker on the castle wall, so I had his mother and the ambassador from Nilfgaard help me escape. Obviously the castle didn't get exploded, but you also come out in a different place and pretty much have to kill a handful of guards without being able to avoid them.
Another cool thing I found out about during my second playthrough in the prologue is that
Ves can kill you in the interrogation room if you get mad/attack Roche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom