• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So how does the permanent death actually work? If you play on insane and die will all your saves disappear somehow?

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:
The first game had a far greater variety of monsters.

A bit disappointed that there aren't any vampires.

There are some in this game but you can't miss them depending on the choices you make. There are some great monsters here in general but depending on the path you take, you'll never get to see them or only once.

Corky said:
So how does the permanent death actually work? If you play on insane and die will all your saves disappear somehow?

You can test it in the prologue if you can spare about 10 minutes. Go straight to the
dragon bit and run into the fire

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
toasty_T said:
You can test it in the prologue if you can spare about 10 minutes. Go straight to the

toasty_T
(Today, 09:12 PM)

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:

Yea, I already know what my first death would be from on Insane.

Kyaw

How do i deal with harpy traps?

I put them on the ground, non of them gets lured towards it. :/
In the forest outside Vergen.

Kyaw said:
How do i deal with harpy traps?

I put them on the ground, non of them gets lured towards it. :/
In the forest outside Vergen.

All the nests are in the quarry and in the cave. 4 outside, 3 inside.

There's a main plotline quest that takes you to the quarry, you can knock them all out while you're there along with the Harpy Queen. You'll also find something to do with the Baltimore sidequest in the cave.

zlatko

Banned
Oh snap I forgot that on insane you only get one life, but can you just cheat the system and take your saves and make copies of them in another folder ?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
While I'm sure there are some very limited things that some may look at and say it doesn't look up to par with the rest of the game but I haven't found one area that hasn't awed me in the overall details. You can look down on almost any part of the game and see sharp detailed parts. While climbing down a latter I constantly feel like it looks almost real. If they can replicate like 75% of this on modern consoles then it should still look amazing. I cannot be in sub-720p though. That would hurt more than lessening the detail.

Riposte

DennisK4 said:
Thats what you meant, right?

Insane is stupid as far as I can tell. CRPGs are not arcade games. Maybe if they got rid of 95% of the running and chatting in the game that would be cool.

Dennis

Banned
Riposte said:
Insane is stupid as far as I can tell. CRPGs are not arcade games. Maybe if they got rid of 95% of the running and chatting in the game that would be cool.
I sense your fear. Its OK....stick with one of the lower settings.

Dina

Ended it. Roche's part, straight-arrow through and through. Loved it, and love it more for the fact that on the second playthrough you can do so much different. Straight 9's for me.

But staying faithful to Triss has gained me nothing, haha. Apart from the sex-scene in Chapter 1, I didn't get nothing in the following chapter. Next time I'm gonna whore myself out good.

Sinatar said:
The guy in the sewers behind the code door that you unlock by decoding the necromancy scroll. When you find him you can either get a respec or fight him for some phat loots. I was happy with my skill selection so I fought him... and fought him... and fought him... ugh.

True, except that the staff 1. makes it too easy in an already easy game by that point and 2. really looks dumb. Also I had crafted some random chapter 1 drops into a potion by then, so the dragon scales were useless for that silver sword. In the end I just stayed with the Nilfgaardian Harpy and that massive +vitality armor from chapter 2. Zakiaeve's armor or something.

raphier

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Thanks

Any gaffers punch a hole through their monitor yet as a result of permanent death after 30+ hours?
I have no problem with Insane. I have problem, thought, with the combat. You can easily be locked in a loop where they kill you from one hit or an accidental streak attack. The combat is not designed for tight areas. You can easily die combating inside a room. (if you can't roll, you are dead meat)

It's really about luck in most cases, you either play skillfully and win or die because you were unlucky. ( but now because the game didn't register your buttons/actions)

Where do I get baller equipment in chapter 3?

I found a really nice silver blade at the start near the arachas but other than that I'm still rolling with a lot of equipment from chapter one.

Oh good lord guys... PLEASE HELP! I'm scared that I may have seriously screwed myself over here.

This is about the best armour in chapter 1 (I think... :/)
I just beat the Kayran and I want to make the Kayran Carapace Armour but I don't have the Diagram and Cedric doesn't have the diagram... I have no idea where the diagram is, and I don't know what to do...

I think I bought the diagram earlier on when I first met Cedric but now I have no idea why I don't have it any more... wtf!?!?!? If I accidentally sold it to a vendor would that vendor still be holding onto it?

Also, can someone please explain how I'm supposed to start the Troll Trouble DLC quest? I believe the launcher has downloaded the quest but I have no idea how to start it? There was no quest on the quest board or anything so I'm hell confused?

PLEASE HELP!!

Salaadin

ColonialRaptor said:
Oh good lord guys... PLEASE HELP! I'm scared that I may have seriously screwed myself over here.

I just beat the Kayran and I want to make the Kayran Carapace Armour but I don't have the Diagram and Cedric doesn't have the diagram... I have no idea where the diagram is, and I don't know what to do...

I think I bought the diagram earlier on when I first met Cedric but now I have no idea why I don't have it any more... wtf!?!?!? If I accidentally sold it to a vendor would that vendor still be holding onto it?

Also, can someone please explain how I'm supposed to start the Troll Trouble DLC quest? I believe the launcher has downloaded the quest but I have no idea how to start it? There was no quest on the quest board or anything so I'm hell confused?

PLEASE HELP!!

Cant help with the diagram as I have no idea where I even got it in the first place.

Troll trouble should be on the notice board, I dont know why it wouldnt be showing up for you. If its not there and not in your Journal, maybe try redownloading it? There are a lot of issues with this DLC right now though so maybe youre unlucky :(

It's in a chest in the Blue Stripes quarters/den/house whatever it is next to the inn. Cedric sells the armor enhancement (you can make both).

Make sure you've installed the quest too. If you go back to the DLC tab, the download prompt instead says install. Do that and it'll be on the notice board.

robotrock

Banned
Help please! On chapter 2 if you chose
non-human
path,
you need to go in this cave thing and find immortelle. Well, in this cave, there is a door that I need a key to open. Where can I find this key?

zlatko

Banned
Is the spare all trolls achievement bugged on steam? I didn't call a single one and I didn't get it upon completing the game. :/

Salaadin

raphier said:
I have no problem with Insane. I have problem, thought, with the combat. You can easily be locked in a loop where they kill you from one hit or an accidental streak attack. The combat is not designed for tight areas. You can easily die combating inside a room. (if you can't roll, you are dead meat)

It's really about luck in most cases, you either play skillfully and win or die because you were unlucky. ( but now because the game didn't register your buttons/actions)

I hope this patch next week addresses some of the combat issues. The hit detection is probably my biggest problem with it right now with my sword sometimes going right into an enemy and they dont react at all. Its pretty annoying.

Kyaw

robotrock said:
Help please! On chapter 2 if you chose
non-human
path,
you need to go in this cave thing and find immortelle. Well, in this cave, there is a door that I need a key to open. Where can I find this key?

It should be lootable from dead guys and one is in a chest i think. You just need to go through the whole cave system and get the keys. Basically the key you loot will open the locked door closest to it IIRC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nezabyte said:
Only 2 are translated so far. Start with Last Wish (collection of short stories) and then Blood of Elves (sequel and uses regular novel format).

Limits of the Possible is excellently fan-translated as well, just as well as anything from The Last Wish. Highly recommend it before moving to Blood of Elves, it is the story The Witcher 2 references as soon as you get out of the tent, talking about the rape of the sorceress.

It's fairly long too, maybe as long as two short stories from The Last Wish.

Tokubetsu

ColonialRaptor said:

PLEASE HELP!!

I believe the dwarven blacksmith might have it as well. As far as the DLC goes, if you downloaded it, did you install it as well? Once the DL is finish, open the dlc menu and if you see a blue disc icon next to it, it means you have to install it (just click it and you should see an install button).

Riposte

DennisK4 said:
I sense your fear. Its OK....stick with one of the lower settings.

I guess the whole point is the increase the tension, but it is not like the game is like Tekki(EDIT: hmm, bad example lol) or 1cc-ing an arcade game where there is significantly less chaff.

Salaadin

How do you counter attack? I have that ability thats supposed to let me counter but I dont think Ive ever done it. Im trying to find it in the manual.

EDIT: Hmm, supposedly the icon on them turns into a sword, prompting me to counter. I dont think Ive ever seen that.

zlatko

Banned
Salaadin said:
How do you counter attack? I have that ability thats supposed to let me counter but I dont think Ive ever done it. Im trying to find it in the manual.

EDIT: Hmm, supposedly the icon on them turns into a sword, prompting me to counter. I dont think Ive ever seen that.

It happens super quick. You have to almost predict it. :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, sooooo... how people kill
Letho in the first chapter
on normal without using shitton of knives and bombsf?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
subversus said:
Just dodge like mad, put shield up just in case you get hit, and when he does attack animations just dodge around and stab him from behind. It's easier and more effective than trying to block and hit him from the front because then he's bound to do Aard after a couple hits and throw you off. Just be careful on which of his attack animations you do it, because some have multiple hits and do turn around to face behind him in the process. If he puts shield up just wait for it to run out dodging like crazy, that's more effective than trying to hit it away because of the effect it has on you. You can also use the trap sign sometimes to get a few strong blows in, if it works, sometimes he doesn't get stunned.

Vlodril

Still getting black screen in Flotsam when trying to complete the incense quest :(

Still can't create Samum bombs, it seems to work but they never show in my bag :(

Edit: and yep, sure enough the actual materials are all used up, but no bombs :(

Did you select the recipy for sure? I had a similar problem where i was highlighting the design's but not actually clicking on them so it made something else.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Vlodril said:
Did you select the recipy for sure?
Yes, I made sure to check that because I had done that accidentally in the first playthrough with some items and ended up with a ton of useless potions.

There seem to be loads of such issues with the crafting, I went to craft a sword at the smith and it ended up being a crappy short sword instead of the diagram I chose.

Really enjoying this so far, I've just got the ship/boat out of the city and chapter one has begun.

One thing that grates on me though is the weird disconnect between me pressing the keys and the action being performed in game. Many a time I'll be slamming away at the Q key, attempting to use my powers, but nothing happens for a couple seconds when in combat. I literally end up pressing it like 10 times to actually get the motion to happen.

Tis quite annoying in combat, when a couple dudes are jabbing me with their swords. Though I did "force push" a fella of a cliff, which was quite satisfying so, can't be all bad I guess.

Arde5643

The English Conquistador said:
Really enjoying this so far, I've just got the ship/boat out of the city and chapter one has begun.

One thing that grates on me though is the weird disconnect between me pressing the keys and the action being performed in game. Many a time I'll be slamming away at the Q key, attempting to use my powers, but nothing happens for a couple seconds when in combat. I literally end up pressing it like 10 times to actually get the motion to happen.

Tis quite annoying in combat, when a couple dudes are jabbing me with their swords. Though I did "force push" a fella of a cliff, which was quite satisfying so, can't be all bad I guess.
You might be out of vigor - you can't use signs nor parry when out of vigor.

Tigel

I have a question for you guys.
I could swear that CDPR said that the Steam of the game version would support Cloud Saving. However, it doesn't seem to be the case. What's up with that?

Salaadin

Tigel said:
I have a question for you guys.
I could swear that CDPR said that the Steam of the game version would support Cloud Saving. However, it doesn't seem to be the case. What's up with that?

Doesnt Steam have a file size limit per game for their cloud saves? The Witcher 2 creates a new autosave everytime it autosaves. CHances are, its way over that limit thanks to the way it saves....many times and large save files + bmp

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Arde5643 said:

I'm not sure about vigor - I remember slamming Q with one bar left and nothing happened. But I don't remember for sure. I'll test it later.

Arde5643 said:

Edit: Same deal as subversus. I thought it might be that, but I think even when I do have a bar or two full, it'll still happen. I'll play a little later to see if that's the case, since combat can be so frantic I don't really pay attention to the Vigor metre at all.

Hopefully that'll be the case! Such a good game so far though, I played the first edition of the first Witcher and didn't particularly like it. Mainly because it felt really janky and just super eastern block. Though I love Stalker COP and Metro 2033 so maybe it just wasn't my thing. I didn't bother with the enhanced edition but I may once I've gone through this. The bump in quality, in terms of music, graphics and just overall presentation is very much noticed, even in comparison to DA2. I can't help but think of how much effort and detail has been put into this game, whereas DA2 seems to have just been another sequel to a pretty popular game.

Overall, really loving the game. :)

Someone mentioned best equipment before. That is not 100% correct -
Ysgith armor is better than Vran one if you are playing Magic-oriented character - +1 Vigor, higher resists, bonus damage to Signs

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
MickeyKnox said:
Take your bullshit somewhere else, or better yet go a head and try to play the game on that setting.

hi and welcome to neogaf

Castor Krieg said:
Someone mentioned best equipment before. That is not 100% correct -
Ysgith armor is better than Vran one if you are playing Magic-oriented character - +1 Vigor, higher resists, bonus damage to Signs

Which chapter is this from? Going as a heavy magic spec'd Geralt on my second play through (wtf the shield upgrade is nuts) and I would totally want this item.

epmode said:

Oh damn... I actually downloaded it successfully the other day just never installed it at the time and now it doesn't seem to be working to download again... what a pain in the butt. I'm not going to progress on from Chapter 1 until I can do this... pain in the butt.

I ended up finding the Armour I was looking for... thank god for that. The Diagram was part of the reward for finishing the quest. I think I originally thought I bought it from Cedric because I saw it there, but REALLY I just saw the Amour Upgrade for it.

I love the way the inventory and upgrade system works on this, and it's actually quite hard to get some of the harder upgrades and really makes you work (fine by me because the more I can play this and the longer, the better in my books). I'm also just wondering however, is it possible to get an elemental stone in Chapter 1? I don't think it is... I've got the Diagram to make it but it doesn't seem I can get a Gargoyle Heart in order to Craft an Elemental Stone which I need for the Rune that I want to upgrade my new sword with.

Also, I made sure to do whatever I could to get the Diamond Armour Upgrade and use two of them as well as the Kayran Upgrade... my armour is now as beefy as it can be and much beefier than it was before. I want to use the +7% attack Rune if I can... I'm thinking that will be of more benefit than Sun or Moon Rune.

Edit - OOOH, just noticed that Troll Trouble just downloaded - how do I install it now? I've clicked back on Downloadable Content but it seems nothing has changed... actually wait let me click the button... eh... nope nothing, it says "Downloading" in the Downloadable Content section, but it's clearly downloaded now and blank on the main Downloader screen. So when exactly this week is this patch due?

Tigel

Salaadin said:
Doesnt Steam have a file size limit per game for their cloud saves? The Witcher 2 creates a new autosave everytime it autosaves. CHances are, its way over that limit thanks to the way it saves....many times and large save files + bmp
Aww that's too bad. I don't understand why they said they would support this feature though :/

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
zoner said:
2 questions
How do I use mutagens
How do I blow up the Nekker(?) nests

Certain talents in the tree have little circles on them. Right click them to add mutas. They cannot be undone afterwards, so watch out.

Learn grapeshot explosives for the Nek nests.

Soule

subversus said:
Just beat him again for the second time (restarted after first chapter because I fucked my skills...) I really struggled at first but both times when I took close combat approach and just constantly peppered him with quick attacks and blocked his sword strikes to finish the fight rather fast. He seemed to stick to melee attacks when I was in his face.

Does anyone know what determines your spec? I've read here some are spec'd for the magic route, but that's completely locked out for me. Do I get that at a later time, or am I stuck with what I have? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom