• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Buren

Discotheque said:
I was in the Roche/Henselt camp during Chapter 2. If it's for that side what's this end battle everybody is going on about? I beat the chapter yesterday and I don't recall having too hard a time with anything towards the end.

I just got past the boss battle in the fog, and the entire sequence leading up to the boss lasted for longer than 10 minutes - longer than a potion duration, and one cannot meditate again till the end. Besides, as soon as I entered the fog and started the 'event', the potion buffs went away ( or did they become invisible ? ).

To clarify, I'm playing on Hard as a Swordsmaster Geralt, and I only died a couple of times owing to my own mistakes - not due to a lack of potions. It just seemed odd that such a momentous fight took place without the use of potions, and that the game does not really allow one to use potions.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Castor Krieg said:
Go to quarry, locate one nest, and simply continue dropping the traps when harpies arrive. Each trap will count

How do you get harpies to pick up the traps? I dropped 6 traps, and they never got picked up. Also, I slaughtered all the harpies, and now there are no more. :(

Also, I'm utterly stuck. How do I
sneak into the kaedweni camp to get to Triss. I get caught at literally every turn. I've been putting out all the fires and I still get magically caught. There's nowhere for me to go.

thetrin said:
How do you get harpies to pick up the traps? I dropped 6 traps, and they never got picked up. Also, I slaughtered all the harpies, and now there are no more. :(

sneak into the kaedweni camp to get to Triss. I get caught at literally every turn. I've been putting out all the fires and I still get magically caught. There's nowhere for me to go.

I simply put one trap and lead a harpy to it. She picked it automatically and flew away.

As for the other part
look it up on youtube, it's there; one part towards the end can be confusing - I had no idea you need to do it like that and got caught like 10 times

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Castor Krieg said:
I simply put one trap and lead a harpy to it. She picked it automatically and flew away.

As for the other part
look it up on youtube, it's there; one part towards the end can be confusing - I had no idea you need to do it like that and got caught like 10 times

That's weird. The harpies always ignored my traps for some reason. But I have 3 nests destroyed magically, and I don't know why. I guess I'll head back to the quarry and do it again once I'm done this part.

Also, I really hope that harpies aren't all dead forever, because I'd like to finish this quest.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Started up Gothic II, I got it as one of the free games from a gog Witcher 2 purchase. I'm just at the first city but wow, this game was way ahead of its time compared to the CRPGs of today. I don't even mind the graphics, the way it's all fully seamless (so far) without indoor and outdoor transitions and such makes up for a lot of it, as well as the pretty good draw distance with places you can actually go to rather than just distant cardboard scenery in otherwise limited environments. How awesome would it be if The Witcher 3 keeps and improves The Witcher 2's style and mechanics and, well, monster hunting, but does it all in an open and interactive Gothic II style world?!

Edit: ops, I forgot about Risen 2, that might just be what the doctor ordered! Risen 1 wasn't so much, as much as I liked most of it.

Exuro

zlatko said:
My favorite part of my first playthrough:

Coming into Dethmold's chambers to find out he has a man slave on his bed as well as several wooden dildos. Just as Dethmold is going to do the no pants dance with him, Vernon comes in, slits his nuts off and cuts his throat. Wow.

Truly some epic shit.
Dammit that sounds so much better than
saving Triss.I'll have to go back and go with Roche.

zlatko

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
Your games sound completely different from what i had. (iorveth is my bro)

I was going to go that route, but I ultimately had to go Roche my first time through so I could
Kill that fuck for raping that elf woman and starting the same shit on Ves.

Alextended said:
Started up Gothic II, I got it as one of the free games from a gog Witcher 2 purchase. I'm just at the first city but wow, this game was way ahead of its time compared to the CRPGs of today. I don't even mind the graphics, the way it's all fully seamless (so far) without indoor and outdoor transitions and such makes up for a lot of it, as well as the pretty good draw distance with places you can actually go to rather than just distant cardboard scenery in otherwise limited environments. How awesome would it be if The Witcher 3 keeps and improves The Witcher 2's style and mechanics and, well, monster hunting, but does it all in an open and interactive Gothic II style world?!

Edit: ops, I forgot about Risen 2, that might just be what the doctor ordered! Risen 1 wasn't so much, as much as I liked most of it.

Gothic 2 is a work of fucking art, i presume the GoG thing included night of the raven as well?

Witcher 2 and Gothic 2, god damn it is a good week indeed for you my friend.

Well, the party just ended for me.

The General (Draug) at the end(?) of Chapter II is fucking horrendous. Is there something I'm missing? I literally can't seem to take more than a centimeter off his shield before he destroys me, and there seems to be no way to avoid his sweeping attack every time I get close. And no checkpoint before the fight?. Jesus, what a fuckup.

Darklord

Banned
At the end of chapter 1
Iroveth was imprisoned and going to drakenborg. I chose to help Roche and infiltrate the building. Then right at the end Roche says he was held up. It cuts to a flashback of him and Iroveth fighting in the woods. What the? How'd he get free? And who was that guy who Geralt have the baby to?

thetrin said:

The trap things only work in certain areas, once your destroy the nest(or nests) in that area they won't pick it up again.

So everytime you see a "New" group of harpies in an area you've never been before, plop a couple of traps down. There's also a couple of nests in the dream cave IIRC.

itxaka

Defeatist
fizzelopeguss said:
Gothic 2 is a work of fucking art, i presume the GoG thing included night of the raven as well?

Witcher 2 and Gothic 2, god damn it is a good week indeed for you my friend.

So Gothic 2 is that awesome? I got the gothic pack on steam mainly for gothic 4 (Which won't work and I have to resort to a crack, go figure) but haven't installed any other gothic games.

Should I play it?

Disclaimer:_ Im at work, so I can't play the withcher 1/2 on my shitty laptop :(

zlatko

Banned
bluedeviltron said:

The General (Draug) at the end(?) of Chapter II is fucking horrendous. Is there something I'm missing? I literally can't seem to take more than a centimeter off his shield before he destroys me, and there seems to be no way to avoid his sweeping attack every time I get close. And no checkpoint before the fight?. Jesus, what a fuckup.

Cast quen, run up do two heavy strikes, roll away. Recast quen. Repeat until dead.

bluedeviltron said:

QUEN

QUEN

QUEN

QUEN

Is there a list of console commands anywhere? I accidentally used the troll tongue in some potion some 7 hours ago and didn't realize it till I tried turning the quest in. I'd rather cheat than have to play through that much stuff again.

itxaka said:
So Gothic 2 is that awesome? I got the gothic pack on steam mainly for gothic 4 (Which won't work and I have to resort to a crack, go figure) but haven't installed any other gothic games.

Should I play it?

Disclaimer:_ Im at work, so I can't play the withcher 1/2 on my shitty laptop :(

I don't know what your tastes are.

But Gothic 2 is one my favourite games. It's filled with little secrets and caves and hidden stories, it has 3 paths in the mid game to choose between (Mages, paladins, dragonslayers). Alchemy and crafting, villagers working and sleeping

The world is quite similar to the witcher as well, it's filled with dangerous monsters and banditry, not the typical ye olde medieval twee.

Gothic II is the crown jewel of that pack, gothic 3 i didn't like at all and gothic 4 is by an entirely new studio. Gothic 1 is a fantastic game as well but funny enough i'd suggest gothic 2 for newer players. mostly because of how old these games are.

zlatko

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
QUEN

QUEN

QUEN

QUEN

It's pretty much the answer to any point in the game you get beat up at. I got it to level 3 and made it hit multiple enemies as well. Once that happens you can just go up to shit and star wailing away, since anytime they hit you they get stunned and leave themselves open for a big flurry. Once it wears off, then you roll away to recast.

Best spell in the game. :D

thetrin

Does it frustrate anyone else when you have to mash Q to cast a spell, and even with full vigor, Geralt never casts it? It's really fucking annoying.

thetrin said:
Does it frustrate anyone else when you have to mash Q to cast a spell, and even with full vigor, Geralt never casts it? It's really fucking annoying.

Which one? Axi? You hold the Q button down until it fails/succeeds.

Ryu1999

thetrin said:

The game is buggy, I'd randomly have times where my buttons would stop working, or my mouse would stop working.

gdt

Still no response from CDPR concerning my retail disc version. First email sent out Friday night. Considering maybe dl'ing the game and using my CD Key. This is insane.

~Kinggi~

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Still no response from CDPR concerning my retail disc version. First email sent out Friday night. Considering maybe dl'ing the game and using my CD Key. This is insane.
Send an email to tw2support@thewitcher.com

Put in your email title description 'Retail copy causing Cyclic redundancy errors on data2.cab'

If you are not getting a response doing this then i dont know what to tell you. I got multiple responses in short time periods < hour using that email and topic.

It may have to do with your region then.

Exuro

I replayed the end of the game. Choosing to go with Roche instead of Triss is so much more gratifying.
Roche killing Dethmold was awesome. Going with Triss I didn't really get to see any conclusion with Dethmold which was part of what hurt the ending for me. I'm wondering what/how they plan to make the next game with 16 different states. While I love how choices in game themselves do some drastic thing I'd still like one playthrough to be a little longer. The more the merrier I say.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just finished it, don't really understand the hate/disappointment for the end/ending.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Exuro said:
I replayed the end of the game. Choosing to go with Roche instead of Triss is so much more gratifying.
Roche killing Dethmold was awesome. Going with Triss I didn't really get to see any conclusion with Dethmold which was part of what hurt the ending for me. I'm wondering what/how they plan to make the next game with 16 different states. While I love how choices in game themselves do some drastic thing I'd still like one playthrough to be a little longer. The more the merrier I say.

No conclusion? Didn't Saskia order him executed in the non-human path?

Ikuu said:
Just finished it, don't really understand the hate/disappointment for the end/ending.

I wouldn't say hate.

I just felt like things were progressing too quickly for me. That, and chapter 3 was really really short compared to both 1 and 2.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Exuro said:
I haven't played the non-human path. This is going with Roche.

Oh my bad, I completely misunderstood.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I cant seem to be able to download and verify the Troll dlc. I start downloading and then it says verifying, and then gets stuck retrying the download.

zlatko said:
Cast quen, run up do two heavy strikes, roll away. Recast quen. Repeat until dead.
I ended up waiting for him to charge and then heavy-ing him in the back over and over again. Ridiculously easy. Still, there was no need to make me play the 10 minute long leadup to that more than once.

I think I may have run into a bug later in Chapter II. Did anyone else get this/get around it somehow?

I catch up to Dethmold on the way to Vergen, kill all of his men, and then he just runs behind his forcefield wall and won't come out. It's happened both times I've attempted it.

Exuro

bluedeviltron said:
I ended up waiting for him to charge and then heavy-ing him in the back over and over again. Ridiculously easy. Still, there was no need to make me play the 10 minute long leadup to that more than once.

I think I may have run into a bug later in Chapter II. Did anyone else get this/get around it somehow?

I catch up to Dethmold on the way to Vergen, kill all of his men, and then he just runs behind his forcefield wall and won't come out. It's happened both times I've attempted it.
Yeah that happened to me.
Take him out last. It's more annoying as he's shooting electric bolts at you but after taking everyone out and then taking him out he starts talking when he ports over.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
bluedeviltron said:

It should trigger a cut scene at that point after you kill everyone else. Unless I'm mixing it up with another encounter I don't remember how the chapters were divided etc.

Darklord

Banned
Sigh. After waiting 5 days I finally got an e-mail back from support and all it is a copy & paste. Fuck sake. Looks like I won't be playing any DLC or using my pre-order bonus then.

bluedeviltron said:

Working as intended. Dethmold takes part in the fight, and damages you with his spells. In order to make him stop, you have to "kill" him, after which he teleports past the shiled to "recharge". You simply killed all of his men too quickly for him to come back.

thetrin

Castor Krieg said:
Which one? Axi? You hold the Q button down until it fails/succeeds.
No dude, I know how to play the game. I'm talking about mashing Q to use spells, and sometimes he just won't do it, even with full vigor. The game is buggy.

Alright, bit of a problem: (chapter 2)
I only have 3/7 harpy nests destroyed, but it seems all of the harpies are now dead. All of them. And they won't respawn. I'm kind of fucked, aren't I?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does anyone remember which part of the map that the Dwarven Catacombs are located in (ch. 2)?

I need to return to them but I can't remember where it is and I've searched all over the southern portion of the map.

It's very important that I do this ;)

Snuggler said:
Does anyone remember which part of the map that the Dwarven Catacombs are located in (ch. 2)?

I need to return to them but I can't remember where it is and I've searched all over the southern portion of the map.

North east i think?

at the main gate from the trade district, go up the right rampart and through the elven slum area.

Snuggler said:

You need to exit north through Vergen. Go up the stairs next to the main gate, turn right and follow the path.

zlatko said:
It's pretty much the answer to any point in the game you get beat up at. I got it to level 3 and made it hit multiple enemies as well. Once that happens you can just go up to shit and star wailing away, since anytime they hit you they get stunned and leave themselves open for a big flurry. Once it wears off, then you roll away to recast.

Best spell in the game. :D
It's actually buffed during that battle, which is when I first started using it, it does more damage to that boss than it usually does.

thetrin

IS there any way to respawn harpies? Anyone? :\

gdt

~Kinggi~ said:
Send an email to tw2support@thewitcher.com

Put in your email title description 'Retail copy causing Cyclic redundancy errors on data2.cab'

If you are not getting a response doing this then i dont know what to tell you. I got multiple responses in short time periods < hour using that email and topic.

It may have to do with your region then.

Just sent another one off. Also mentioned I could use a GOG version, and gave my account name there.

thetrin said:
Signs have the same frame count as your heavy attack, if something attacks you it will hit and cancel you casting the spell.

thetrin

MickeyKnox said:
Signs have the same frame count as your heavy attack, if something attacks you it will hit and cancel you casting the spell.

Not even then. Sometimes I'm not being attacked or even moving, and I have to mash Q to get the spell to cast.

Dina

Versus the Draug, throwing daggers are your friend. He goes down so fast if you got 2 points skilled into throwing daggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom