• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game, this fucking game. Seriously.

Sure chapter 3 isn't as good as the first two. But that only means its not shitting all over the recent Bioware games.

Chapters 1 and 2 are some of the most amazing content in an RPG that I had the pleasure of playing. And that's not even mentioning the re-playability because this is my first run.

Exuro said:
Another cool thing I found out about during my second playthrough in the prologue is that
Ves can kill you in the interrogation room if you get mad/attack Roche.
Hahaha I did the same thing, I just couldn't resist.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
jim-jam bongs said:
I hated those, it can happen in various places like
Iorveth having his archers own you when you meet him with the dwarf in the forest
. Why give me the choice at all if it's not really a choice at all? It's even worse than Bioware's non-choices which you can't really know they didn't affect anything in your first playthrough anyway, without reloading.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Question about the prologue dungeon

I remember in demo videos there was this topless chick getting tortured and there was this whole event to save her. I encountered that room and saw the torturer guy, but i ended up just killing him and never encountering the girl. How do you trigger that stuff?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lostconfused said:

Sure chapter 3 isn't as good as the first two. But that only means its not shitting all over the recent Bioware games.

Chapters 1 and 2 are some of the most amazing content in an RPG that I had the pleasure of playing. And that's not even mentioning the re-playability because this is my first run.

Seriously. The game is fucking amazing.

Exuro

Lostconfused said:

I agree but I feel chapter 3 was a bit more than "isn't as good as the first two". Really want more stuff to play. Already going through a second playthrough so I'm seeing a few things I missed. Alternate Chapter 2 should be sweet. I wonder how long it takes for them to make content on their engine. It's suppose to be very optimized for making branching style quests. I want a Tales of the Sword Coast style expansion.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Exuro said:
I agree but I feel chapter 3 was a bit more than "isn't as good as the first two". Really want more stuff to play. Already going through a second playthrough so I'm seeing a few things I missed. Alternate Chapter 2 should be sweet. I wonder how long it takes for them to make content on their engine. It's suppose to be very optimized for making branching style quests. I was a Tales of the Sword Coast style expansion.
I'd eat up expansions like crazy if they offered them. Just walking around pretty new locations is worthwhile in this game.

Oh, and has anybody been able to verify the troll dlc? I can download but the launcher always fails on the verify..

Alextended said:
Iorveth having his archers own you when you meet him with the dwarf in the forest
. Why give me the choice at all if it's not really a choice at all? It's even worse than Bioware's non-choices which you can't really know they didn't affect anything in your first playthrough anyway, without reloading.
Yeah it can be a bit unexpected. I'm trying to remember them all for when I try an insane run 0.0

epmode

~Kinggi~ said:
Question about the prologue dungeon

I remember in demo videos there was this topless chick getting tortured and there was this whole event to save her. I encountered that room and saw the torturer guy, but i ended up just killing him and never encountering the girl. How do you trigger that stuff?
From what I can tell, the torturer scene changes based on whether or not you let the guy at the top of the tower live. It also changes based on when you arrive at the torture chamber itself. Remember how the room to the chamber is locked and how you find a key on a nearby guard? If you go in the other direction, the rest of the area plays out differently.

joesmokey said:
This is a stupid question, but when creating potions is there an indicator showing how many items of the ingredient you have?
I don't believe so. The same goes for other crafting screens. Seems like a pretty big oversight if you ask me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
Seriously. The game is fucking amazing.

Agreed. It's glorious.

I think that I prefer ch. 2 to ch. 1. Both are amazing but goddamn Vergen is an amazing environment. There is a lot of room to explore but it's dense with enemies and quests and points of interest. And it looks fucking amazing, of course.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jim-jam bongs said:

it's not the only time when you can be killed in dialogues. AND THAT'S AWESOME. Can you imagine something like that happening in Bioware's game?? I doubt that I'll be able to play Bioware's RPGs after that (not fantasy ones, that's for sure). It's like trying to have sex with a latex doll after you had sex with a real woman.

Exuro

Snuggler said:
Agreed. It's glorious.

I think that I prefer ch. 2 to ch. 1. Both are amazing but goddamn Vergen is an amazing environment. There is a lot of room to explore but it's dense with enemies and quests and points of interest. And it looks fucking amazing, of course.
That good? I went with Roche and it was pretty good, but liked Flotsam more. I only got a quick glimpse of Vergen at the end of Chapter 2 and it looks pretty cool. Can't wait to get to Chapter 2 again.

joesmokey said:
This is a stupid question, but when creating potions is there an indicator showing how many items of the ingredient you have?

If you click on the symbol next to the ingredient it shows all the items you have that match it and how many of them you have.

Alextended said:

And then they add insult to injury by letting you die outside of conversation. I died numerous times in those woods in Act I. Why let me leave the town's gates if my missteps can end in death?

So I used my troll tongue by accident in a potion...7 hours back. I heard the next act has a troll in it, but is in a different region. Can I travel back to flotsam or will I be stuck with an unfinished amulet quest?

Durante

~Kinggi~ said:
Oh, and has anybody been able to verify the troll dlc? I can download but the launcher always fails on the verify..
I had the same problem, tried to make that DLC work for almost an hour. The only thing that worked in the end was "pirating" it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Exuro said:
That good? I went with Roche and it was pretty good, but liked Flotsam more. I only got a quick glimpse of Vergen at the end of Chapter 2 and it looks pretty cool. Can't wait to get to Chapter 2 again.

Same here, sounds like playthrough 2 is gonna be even more different than I expected.

Also, I've already ploughed two ladies in ch. 2, maybe 3 if things work out.

Lime

There is no way I can ever go back to Mass Effect 2's body textures after this game.

masseffect22010-11-210ujly.png

masseffect22011-03-300pjiv.png

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY GAME LIBRARY, CDPROJEKT?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Snuggler said:
Agreed. It's glorious.

Agreed. I'm glad I went with Iorveth, because Vergen is a gorgeous hub. I don't replay RPGs ever, but I'm very tempted to replay this and make different choices to see what else the game has in store for me.

Chapter 2 question:
I got an old mine key from an elf I ploughed at the start of Chapter 2, unlocked the mine, and never really ventured in. Is that for a quest?

Lime said:
There is no way I can ever go back to Mass Effect 2's body textures after this game.

Oh noes. Console games in my eastern european PC game threads. Out you, out I say.
thetrin said:
Agreed. I'm glad I went with Iorveth, because Vergen is a gorgeous hub.
Went with Roche. I thought the quest line with the King was very cool and interesting. Definitely not a slouch.

Salaadin

mousepad42 said:
So I used my troll tongue by accident in a potion...7 hours back. I heard the next act has a troll in it, but is in a different region. Can I travel back to flotsam or will I be stuck with an unfinished amulet quest?
You cant go back. If youre up for it, maybe kill the bridge troll and get his tongue if it lets you?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
Chapter 2 question:
I got an old mine key from an elf I ploughed at the start of Chapter 2, unlocked the mine, and never really ventured in. Is that for a quest?

It's a short cut. Go through it and you end up in the southern end of the map.

Salaadin

Act 2 Rottfiend Quest:
Im burning bodies to get rid of the Rottfiend. I found 3 corpses outside by a Rottfiend spawn area but am inside this other cave system now with other Rottfiends. There are several dead soldiers in here but I cant burn them at all. No prompt or anything. Are these the right bodies or am I looking in the wrong place

Salaadin said:
Act 2 Rottfiend Quest:
Im burning bodies to get rid of the Rottfiend. I found 3 corpses outside by a Rottfiend spawn area but am inside this other cave system now with other Rottfiends. There are several dead soldiers in here but I cant burn them at all. No prompt or anything. Are these the right bodies or am I looking in the wrong place

Wrong place, they are all around the camp.

mousepad42 said:

I think that you may be screwed :\

I was a bit annoyed that after I finished the Troll Trouble quest by killing the dudes who killed his missus that the only way for me to get a tongue was to go and kill him anyway. I felt so bad, I kind of stood over his corpse solemnly for a while listening to the birds and the sound of the water on the rocks. *sniff*

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOO

Also, end of chapter 1 spoilers:

Cedric's death is one of the most powerful scenes in gaming. Ever. The cinematography, music and sound... beautiful. When he says "I feel a presence, Geralt..." and Geralt glances up and watches the wind rustling through the leaves and grass... Wow. Just so impressive on every conceivable level.

Alexios

CabbageRed said:
And then they add insult to injury by letting you die outside of conversation. I died numerous times in those woods in Act I. Why let me leave the town's gates if my missteps can end in death?
A nice comparison, this isn't. Leaving the city you actually can survive, even if you personally don't. Choosing these dialogue choices, you absolutely can't, so they're not choices at all. What do dialogue choices that result in death add to the game? All you do is reload a save and pick something else, the correct response, so you basically have no choice at all, as every single player will have to go through the same steps to progress at that point. At worst they should have resulted in a QTE. At best there should have been actual combat and a new story path. You can initiate combat by your choices in various parts of the game after all, yet here you're not given a chance.

woober

Regarding the troll quest:
If I already finished the dice quest before the troll quest, it's not possible to get the troll head reward from the guy in the forest? Is the troll head of importance in future quests? Kind of a bummer if it is...

Salaadin

woober said:
Regarding the troll quest:
If I already finished the dice quest before the troll quest, it's not possible to get the troll head reward from the guy in the forest? Is the troll head of importance in future quests? Kind of a bummer if it is...
If you beat him and giot the reward, Im going to say No, you cant get the head from him. Its given to you as a reward for beating him at Dice Poker. Does he let you play him again? Maybe try that and see if it lets you pick another reward?

The head is used to obtain a Trolls Tongue which is used in another quest

I like Roche a lot more than Iorveth so I went with him. The King quest and everything was interesting.

Now I'm looking forward to second playthrough with Iorveth (not finished chapter 3 of my first though just yet). I'm not a fan of Iorveth, he's boring. But I'm looking forward to interactions with Saskia

Hixx

Lime said:

[IMG.]http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect22010-11-210ujly.png[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect22011-03-300pjiv.png[/IMG]

Its really upsetting how few developers realise how much nice, high-res textures improve even a basic-looking game's visuals. Bioware are a prime example, AAA PC game with textures like that, such laziness.

Kyaw

Oh man... i love this game.
Fucked a succubus. I loved that quest.

I'm still in chapter 2, tying up side quests. Doing Baltimore's nightmare now.

Vergen is so atmospheric, i love the soundtrack as well.

Lime

HixxSAFC said:
Its really upsetting how few developers realise how much nice, high-res textures improve even a basic-looking game's visuals. Bioware are a prime example, AAA PC game with textures like that, such laziness.

CTRL+C "XBOX 360 CODE"
CTRL+V "PC CODE"

Basically.

Van Buren

Alextended said:
A nice comparison, this isn't. Leaving the city you actually can survive, even if you personally don't. Choosing these dialogue choices, you absolutely can't, so they're not choices at all. What do dialogue choices that result in death add to the game? All you do is reload a save and pick something else, the correct response, so you basically have no choice at all, as every single player will have to go through the same steps to progress at that point. At worst they should have resulted in a QTE. At best there should have been actual combat and a new story path. You can initiate combat by your choices in various parts of the game after all, yet here you're not given a chance.

In the situations you mention, Geralt will have to be a real dick, and that's saying something considering it's the Witcher universe, to get killed. If one does not like Roche, one can still insult him at least once before it becomes a matter of life and death; same holds for Iorveth, unless one picks the dialog option that is a blatant challenge. CDPR obviously knew that the player would reload to avoid the option in the future, and I'm glad that they included full-blown death sequence to go with those options since it effectively signals that one cannot just randomly pick conversations and expect to be loved by all. It reminded me of the Black Isle Fallouts where certain dialog options could lead to player death. It made the whole experience seem more weighted.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Chapter 1 in Flotsam at the
Kayran (or however you spell it) boss. I have the mongoose potion and it prevents poison but how the hell do I damage the thing. I'm at level 8 and am going in with 2 potions and QUEN. Someone give me some advice please!

Alexios

Van Buren said:
a blatant challenge.
Yes, I wanted to challenge him, not watch a game over cut scene. I defeat worse than him in and out of cut scenes elsewhere.

CDPR obviously knew that the player would reload to avoid the option in the future
Of course they knew, you can't do anything else, you have no choice, despite being allowed to think you do, as you do elsewhere.

Anyway, it's a small part of the game, it has much bigger issues than that, I just gave my 2 cents after the mention. The comparison to actual gameplay situations was still silly.

Hixx

LiquidMetal14 said:
Chapter 1 in Flotsam at the
Kayran (or however you spell it) boss. I have the mongoose potion and it prevents poison but how the hell do I damage the thing. I'm at level 8 and am going in with 2 potions and QUEN. Someone give me some advice please!

boss spoilers
use the Yrden sign to trap his 4 smaller tentacles then chop away at them luminous bulbs on them

JWong

Banned
So for romances...

Is there two romance options? Triss and Ves? Is there one for going Scoia'tel?

I know Saskia, the best looking chick in the game, is not romance-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom