• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

In Act 3
On the roof of Phillipa's house there's a glowing chest (like those from the Gargoyle contract) but there's nothing around to interact with. Help?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Deadly said:
In Act 3
On the roof of Phillipa's house there's a glowing chest (like those from the Gargoyle contract) but there's nothing around to interact with. Help?
It's part of a story quest (which might or might not be Iorveth only)

So my copy finally came in the mail and I can't even activate the stupid game because my CD key doesn't appear to work. CDP's faq on making numbers letters doesn't help at all either. Am I seriously supposed to wait till next week to able to play this game?
Now I'm not even going to able to enjoy it if that's the case...

DualShadow said:
How long is chapter 3 if I do all the side missions(Roche is that makes a differenece)? Or compared to chapter 1 and 2?
I did everything on Roche's side including hunt down the best gear in the game + lvl 35 for kicks and it was about 4 hours.

Thoraxes

Deadly said:
In Act 3
As far as I know, it's Iorveth only.
When you go there on that side, you get to interact with the candles on the ground in a particular oder mentioned in Phillipa's notes that you get from downstairs.

Thoraxes

toasty_T said:
See it's that kind of attention to detail.

The most depressing part about it is without the dagger you're either forced to kill Saskia or leave her impaled on that tree. Moments later Iorveth with the means to save Saskia being looted away from him lying debilitated... *sniff*. That ending is pretty horrible compared to the alternative.

Holy crap. That scene has about 4 different possibilities then. Wow! I definitely am glad I chose the path that I did then. Also
not actually having to stab her perfectly with the blade (with all runes going in, piercing exactly one ventricle) completely surprised me. When I used it, he just held it up to her and then it did the anti-curse that it was supposed to do. I wonder if this means Philippa intended to try and get you to kill Saskia and to put that blame and blood on your hands to remove you as an obstacle? That would put all of Verden and Aerdin against you, as well as lots of people in the north and the dragons and Iorveth too. Additionally, I left the prince (now king) alive. I wonder how that will play out, and how the meeting plays without him if you kill him.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I got to the very end of chapter one, then had to stop. Won't be able to get back to it until Thur / Friday. I'm going through ploughing withdrawals already. :(

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Thoraxes said:
Holy crap. That scene has about 4 different possibilities then. Wow! I definitely am glad I chose the path that I did then. Also
not actually having to stab her perfectly with the blade (with all runes going in, piercing exactly one ventricle) completely surprised me. When I used it, he just held it up to her and then it did the anti-curse that it was supposed to do. I wonder if this means Philippa intended to try and get you to kill Saskia and to put that blame and blood on your hands to remove you as an obstacle? That would put all of Verden and Aerdin against you, as well as lots of people in the north and the dragons and Iorveth too. Additionally, I left the prince (now king) alive. I wonder how that will play out, and how the meeting plays without him if you kill him.

I think that was actually Geralt playing a technicality.
The tree had pierced her heart, and she was covered in her own blood. Therefore all the runes contacted lifeblood spilled from her pierced heart, and all Geralt had to do was hold the dagger up to the blood. Magic has rules, but those rules are often more flexible than they first seem.
That's how I justify it, anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love this game.

I started my hard playthrough a few hours ago and ploughed through the prologue. Now that I know how the combat system works, it wasn't difficult at all. I only died once to that fucking dragon because I ran out too early.

I've already done a few things differently than my last playthrough and it's been really interesting seeing the results.

Oh, and I realized I had anti-aliasing turned on for the duration of my last playthrough. Performance was mostly good, but it would drop into the low 30s sometimes, and the prologue especially was a bit taxing. I turned it off, and while there is definitely a noticeable increase in 'jaggies', I'm getting a smooth 60ish fps almost the entire time. Awesome!

So...

Where the hell is Evilore? He hasn't posted in this thread since before the game came out, I'm pretty curious to know if it lived up to his expectations.

Tokubetsu

Luthos said:
Odrin! Ooooooodrin!

I ended up stopping what I was doing to do that quest just to get them to shut up.

It turns out to be pretty worth it though. Great and entertaining quest. I love how they'll break up some of the quests with shit like that. Shame that some people can and probably will just glance over it.

Odrin quest was hilarious. I missed out on the hangover quest in chapter 1 (I didn't even know where Vernon's crew was chilling in that chapter), so I'll definitely hit it up on my second playthrough.

Just finished the game (and then reloaded a save to go with another choice in chapter 3). Awesome, but lol Letho's accent breaks at the end and he turns Irish all of a sudden. Ending is a bit too abrupt. But still great game.

My GOTY so far for sure (which is tough considering how much I loved Bulletstorm, Portal 2 and MK)

overcast

Watched the GT review. Made me depressed that there is no way in hell I will be able to play this game. Why are computers so expensive? :\

Looks goddamn fantastic.

LaserBuddha said:
If they made a movie, Daniel Craig would be a great Geralt. He even looks kind of like him in some of the art for this game.

Oh, but there's already a movie!

the-hexer-movie-poster-1020476106%255B2%255D.jpg

I know next to nothing about it except that it was pretty awful.

Thoraxes

overcast said:
Watched the GT review. Made me depressed that there is no way in hell I will be able to play this game. Why are computers so expensive? :\

Looks goddamn fantastic.
Even on the lowest settings it still looks half decent. Unless you don't even meet the minimum requirements, which then, i'm so sorry :( There's still the possibility of the console ports flowing steadily, so maybe that will become a reality come E3? Don't give up hope!

Carm

In Act 2, has anyone gotten the first item from Skalen Burbon from playing dice? Just gives me Orens, even after the text.

Tokubetsu

Carm said:
In Act 2, has anyone gotten the first item from Skalen Burbon from playing dice? Just gives me Orens, even after the text.

Yea I got orens too. He says something about a sword though.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone had an issue when saving their game? I saved my game after the "incident" in the begining of chapter 2, but when I come back to load the game, it had my back at the begining of chapter 2. Just a bug?

Pooya

ZombieFred said:
Has anyone had an issue when saving their game? I saved my game after the "incident" in the begining of chapter 2, but when I come back to load the game, it had my back at the begining of chapter 2. Just a bug?
I lost like 1 hour of progress like that, then I noticed the HDD was full and the game couldn't save :| need bigger HDD.

Red

overcast said:

Looks goddamn fantastic.
This card will allow you playable frame rates on ultra settings. Playable as in 30 fps and higher, as long as you disable ubersampling.

ColonialRaptor said:
Also - could someone please tell me the names of the Witcher books please? I'm getting back into reading and I'd like to buy them.
It's great that Chapter 2 is make the most of a second playthrough. This is the wiki for the books, The Last Wish is a bunch of short stories with a frame story and is fantastic. They have only translated Blood Of Elves so far, hopefully they get the other 4 out soon.

How About No said:
Also can someone tell me the easiest way to win Dice Poker. 1.5 games of ignoring it is starting to bite me in the ass ;__;
I make a save before playing and aim to get 2 pair or 3 of a kind. Don't bother with straights. If you lose just reload or try again. Try betting high to make them fold.

Crunched said:
This card will allow you playable frame rates on ultra settings. Playable as in 30 fps and higher, as long as you disable ubersampling.
Yeah once you get everything optimised it doesn't take an ubermachine to get it running great. Running Ultra settings with Q6600 and a GTX460. Uninstalled 3D, using GOG version, motion blur off, depth of field off, getting between 30-40 fps.

Solo

Zeliard said:
I feel like this game has already put a dent in my anticipation for exploring Skyrim. It's still gonna be really nice having a huge open world, but I can't imagine the environments will be as striking and evocative as Witcher 2's.

Lets be real here - this isn't just limited to RPGSs. Its going to be a LONG time before any game in any genre has environments that will be as provakative and beautiful as The Witcher 2's.

Zeliard said:
Haha that is pretty crazy. The place seems pretty meaty as far as quests.

Roche and Hanselt are officious pricks. Glad I didn't go that route. :>

Roche let you out of prison, mang. For that, he has my loyalty to the end, at least on the first playthrough. Besides, we both want the kingslayer dead.

Kaldea

Got to chapter 2 tonight. I already can't wait for a second playthrough. :D

Really impressed with the majority of characters so far too.

zlatko

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
So...

Where the hell is Evilore? He hasn't posted in this thread since before the game came out, I'm pretty curious to know if it lived up to his expectations.

He's laying in bed with an IV drip. He lapsed into a coma after playing the game. 100% pure awesome will do that to you.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
Roche let you out of prison, mang. For that, he has my loyalty to the end, at least on the first playthrough. Besides, we both want the kingslayer dead.

Medievil SAS bros until the end. Roche is the best.

syoaran

Solo said:

Same. In retrospect I felt like this wasn't as awesome as the other side.

syoaran

toasty_T said:
Roche is just a medieval dudebro. Iorveth is the way to go if you wanna play the superior chapter two.

+ Saskia <3

I prefer Roche to Ioveth, but I just felt the story on Saskia's side to be more interesting of the two (I also broke the Roche story by doing some quests in the wrong order, so I doubt I got the full experiance in early Act2). Its a personal preference, I'm sure there are as many who thought the Roche side to be the more awesome of the two.

I like Roche a lot more than Iorveth, like infinitely more than the douche elf (who's an asshole to you when you first meet).

And also encounters with Henselt and others make for some interesting politics.

Can't wait to side with Iorveth now on my second playthrough, just to see what Saskia's like.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I can feel very confident saying that this will be game of the year for me, even when I am only at the begining of chapter 2. The art detail is the best of this generation, and the depth of the RPG mechanics are "damn right praise worthy". I've not had this much fun for a roleplayingame since Mass Effect 1 (the pause menu reminds me a lot of the ME1 screen). Once I've completed Witcher 2, I am going to play through the Witcher 1 and import my save and do the other side of things after going through with Roche.

I haven't actually played Roche's side. I'm making my way through the prologue towards that atm.

I'd be surprised if the Kaedwenian camp can compare to a city full of Zoltans.

Lime

toasty_T said:
I haven't actually played Roche's side. I'm making my way through the prologue towards that atm.

I'd be surprised if the Kaedwenian camp can compare to a city full of Zoltans.

Huge dwarf city of mountain rocks > muddy, piss-filled war camp.

Van Buren

syoaran said:
I prefer Roche to Ioveth, but I just felt the story on Saskia's side to be more interesting of the two (I also broke the Roche story by doing some quests in the wrong order, so I doubt I got the full experiance in early Act2). Its a personal preference, I'm sure there are as many who thought the Roche side to be the more awesome of the two.

Roche's side played out in a very logical manner, and the whole thing was set up to be a part of a larger narrative while fulfilling the main story of the game. There were a lot of permutations to leave the Northern Kingdoms anywhere from being in complete turmoil to being governed by a single power. Very well done on the whole.

I'm still playing my Iorveth run, so I can't comment further on that.

Solo

I'm with Roche, but I do like to play with him a bit. For instance, I gave Iorveth his sword back. Roche tore a strip out of me for that :lol

Zeliard

The Vergen-centric quests are pretty cool, and the entire Iorveth/Saskia/Philippa/Stennis section of the plot is a lot of fun. Almost hard to believe many people won't see this stuff in their first playthrough.

Pooya

yeah, I like Roche, he is a nice lad, 2nd playthrough I will go the other way.
also I get the feeling that Roche and co are inspired by CoD, not sure why xD

Have you guys been to the remote swamp in chapter 1? It's in the southern east side of the map, and as far as I'm aware there are no quests that send you there, just a swamp with some loot.

In morning time it has the most jaw dropping scenery I've ever seen in a game:

http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1306239844-clip-3844kb.jpg

http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1306240379-clip-3843kb.jpg

http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1306240147-clip-3582kb.jpg

http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1306240647-clip-4118kb.jpg

In motion it's unbelievable, I don't mind walking around doing absolutely nothing.

I'm going back to see how it looks at noon/dusk/night. To hell with quests. :lol

miladesn said:
yeah, I like Roche, he is a nice lad, 2nd playthrough I will go the other way.
also I get the feeling that Roche and co are inspired by CoD, not sure why xD
They are cliche special forces soldiers. They are either inspired by CoD or by the same thing that inspired CoD.

Chapter 1 spoiler -

Just fought Letho in the garden of flowers... is that the time that you fight him in Chapter 1 that everyone has been having trouble with? I haven't read any of the advice that people have been giving but I've been noticing that A LOT of people have been having trouble with him. Tell me it's not that fight, because I'm playing on Normal and he didn't even take any health off me. Didn't touch me once!

Basically, I had an abundance of Stun Bombs and stood there throwing them at him non stop and they just kept stunning him and lowering his health. He couldn't move, hence, he didn't touch me. We about 1000x easier than the Kayran. Bid disappointed I made it so easy on myself. I think that must be the fight because he seems to have kidnapped Triss and Teleported away now :(

L0st Id3ntity said:
Have you guys been to the remote swamp in chapter 1? It's in the southern east side of the map, and as far as I'm aware there are no quests that send you there, just a swamp with some loot.

In motion it's unbelievable, I don't mind walking around doing absolutely nothing.

I'm going back to see how it looks at noon/dusk/night. To hell with quests. :lol

It's brilliant at all times!!

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Finished my first playthrough yesterday - so amazing! looking forward to my 2nd once the patch is up.

Also, I ran into the most annoying bug ever and had to load a save whenever it happened: Sometimes when I tried to throw a bomb, nothing would happen and I could no longer attack or anything, just run around. And I was pretty much invulnerable as the enemies couldn't do damage to me anymore. Really weird.

Zeliard

L0st Id3ntity said:

Loved this place in chapter 2:

http://i54.tinypic.com/eio42b.jpg

Pooya

Lostconfused said:
They are cliche special forces soldiers. They are either inspired by CoD or by the same thing that inspired CoD.
I was thinking maybe Roche's name is coming from Roach (MW2) SAS dude :p

LaserBuddha said:
If they made a movie, Daniel Craig would be a great Geralt. He even looks kind of like him in some of the art for this game.

Liam Neeson is getting up there, but he looks pretty damned close as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom