• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming I'm nearing the end of chapter 2.
Roche side of things. I knew that rat bastard Henslet and Dethmold would pull some shady shit. Can't believe they offed his whole unit like that. I liked Roche more than Ivoreth so it was easy siding with him but I'm very curious as to how things play out with Saskia. Can't wait to run through the game a second time.

End of chap 2 question

In the tunnels going to Vergen I fought Dethmold and a bald mercenary. I ended up sparing the merc and he offers to give me something that he won't use anymore. I checked my inventory and didn't see anything new, what is he supposed to give you?

BeeDog

So did the planned patch get released yet? My launcher is still completely non-functional, but I want to give the patch a go before I shelve this game for a while (out of frustration).

Salaadin

BeeDog said:
So did the planned patch get released yet? My launcher is still completely non-functional, but I want to give the patch a go before I shelve this game for a while (out of frustration).

Not yet.

Some wesbite I never heard of is reporting digital sales charts, I dont know if this is reliable:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...witcher-2-terraria-space-pirates-2288132.html

Heres what they say:
Steam* (steampowered.com)
1) Terraria
2) The Witcher 2
3) Brink
4) Portal 2
5) Fable III
*Based on revenue, not units sold

Direct2Drive (direct2drive.com)
1) The Witcher 2
2) Fable III
3) Rift
4) Civilization V
5) Final Fantasy XI Ultimate - Abyssea Edition

GamersGate (gamersgate.com)
1) The Witcher 2
2) The Witcher 2 (US listing)
3) Hearts of Iron III: Dies Irae Götterdämmerung
4) Civilization V
5) Hearts of Iron III Collection

Impulse (impulsedriven.com)
1) Space Pirates and Zombies
2) The Witcher 2
3) Space Rangers 2 Complete
4) Magicka
5) Elemental: War of Magic

Good Old Games (gog.com)
1) The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
2) The Witcher 2
3) Gothic 2 Gold Edition
4) Arcanum
5) Divine Divinity

I want to play this time a bit differently, however I'm playing Insane, so I got the question to the beginning of Chapter 2:
Does losing the duel to Saskia end with Game Over?

gdt

Got my free GOG copy of this game! CDPR took a little longer than I liked (well, it was the weekend + time difference in Poland), but they came through. Now to download this beast.

Solo

Jesus, gdt, by the time you get to play the game most of us will have plowed every willing lass in the the known universe :lol

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
Got my free GOG copy of this game! CDPR took a little longer than I liked (well, it was the weekend + time difference in Poland), but they came through. Now to download this beast.

Damn, sucks you had to wait so long but at least now you can get rolling and start playing.

gdt

Solo said:
Jesus, gdt, by the time you get to play the game most of us will have plowed every willing lass in the the known universe :lol

Doesn't really matter, not even done with The Witcher 1 yet :lol.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Solo said:

We need to support him through this crisis. Bring ale and wenches!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Stallion Free said:
Their top 10 sellers list on the main page has been verified to be based on revenue.

Ah I see, I'm glad to see Witcher 2 is selling well.

gdt5016 said:

Hell, it's about time.

No one should be deprived of this game for that long.

Hazaro said:
Holy shit.
This game.

This game is so good.

I'm absolutely in love with the presentation (not just the graphical muscle, but the art and approach behind it), but the game part is really... I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WNMHjH4KI

This is not good. So not good. If it wasn't for the insane graphics, it could pass for low budget PS2-era action game. The most grating thing for me was all the kiting - the game does everything to sell you
Letho
as some sort of ultimate badass, and you get to fighting, and you're pushing him to combo the air by strafing around him. It's really primitive stuff. It does sort of feel like a lesser version of Demon's Souls, but Demon's Soul is an extremely game-ish game, that doesn't rely nearly enough on suspension of disbelief.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
VisanidethDM said:
I'm absolutely in love with the presentation (not just the graphical muscle, but the art and approach behind it), but the game part is really... I don't know.

This is not good. So not good. If it wasn't for the insane graphics, it could pass for low budget PS2-era action game. The most grating thing for me was all the kiting - the game does everything to sell you
Letho
as some sort of ultimate badass, and you get to fighting, and you're pushing him to combo the air by strafing around him. It's really primitive stuff. It does sort of feel like a lesser version of Demon's Souls, but Demon's Soul is an extremely game-ish game, that doesn't rely nearly enough on suspension of disbelief.

It depends on how you approach the fight. On my first playthrough as sword spec, countering proved mostly useless with his aard attacks and kiting was my only real option. As magic so far, I've been able to just plow into him with way less kiting involved. The upgraded shield held off most of the problems I had originally.

Stahsky said:
It depends on how you approach the fight. On my first playthrough as sword spec, countering proved mostly useless with his aard attacks and kiting was my only real option. As magic so far, I've been able to just plow into him with way less kiting involved. The upgraded shield held off most of the problems I had originally.

I'm more commenting on the AI of the enemies, the spammability of some moves, the way enemy attacks are triggered etc.

The gap between presentation and gameplay is insane. TW2 is a game that redefines the quality standards for presentation and immersion (and once again, not with muscle alone), but the underlying game is scaringly simple, and absolutely primitive at times. In many ways TW1 felt more competent and self-aware, as a game: it did something pretty unique (but probably not very fun) with minimal hiccups. TW2 is more firmly rooted in the staples of action games/action RPGs, and it doesn't come even close to matching the best examples in the genre. I'd argue Nier (heck, Nier) feels like a more modern game to play.

VisanidethDM said:
I'm more commenting on the AI of the enemies, the spammability of some moves, the way enemy attacks are triggered etc.

So the game is bad, because you cannot beat the boss easily? Stop making excuses about "gameplay design", just learn the moves and play better. That boss is very easy once you have the moves down.

Salaadin

I feel like the combat outside of boss fights is very good aside from some of the hit detection issues. Its all about position, timing, etc and thats when I get the Arkham Asylum/Demons Souls vibe. Boss fights are so ridiculously weird based on what Ive seen so far but "Low budget PS2 era" is a bit harsh, imo.

There are some things I wish they just gave you right from the start though...mainly an extra vigor slot since 2 is hardly enough early on. Sword swings hitting multiple enemies shouldve been there from the get go too.

Castor Krieg said:
So the game is bad, because you cannot beat the boss easily? Stop making excuses about "gameplay design", just learn the moves and play better. That boss is very easy once you have the moves down.

Where did I ever mention it being hard?
I'm not commenting on difficulty, I'm commenting on design.

When beating an "hard" boss looks like that, then in my book the game failed. A game system thriumps when to defeat its hardest challenges you have to make use of its core mechanics to the fullest. When you can defeat a boss spamming bombs and kiting him around, then the game system has failed. Doesn't make it terrible, but it's not good stuff either.

Wazzim

Banned
WTF is with this game? It's so fucking hard at random points and I'm playing on fucking easy. Even playing as Monster Hunter (attack once and then evade) won't work because there are swarms of enemies spawning everywhere. I'm talking about the
quest to find some special moss in chapter 1, the first part of the cave is just insane
Does someone have any tips because I almost want to rage quit this shit.

VisanidethDM said:

When beating an "hard" boss looks like that, then in my book the game failed. A game system thriumps when to defeat its hardest challenges you have to make use of its core mechanics to the fullest. When you can defeat a boss spamming bombs and kiting him around, then the game system has failed. Doesn't make it terrible, but it's not good stuff either.

You are complaining about exploits that exist in almost every game. "Clever use of game mechanics", that's what it's called in MMO world. THe same way you can complain why there is even a boss fight if
Iorveth's men can just shoot Letho
. Why the need for two more Chapters, you could've ended it right there!

Wazzim said:
WTF is with this game? It's so fucking hard at random points and I'm playing on fucking easy. Even playing as Monster Hunter (attack once and then evade) won't work because there are swarms of enemies spawning everywhere. I'm talking about the
quest to find some special moss in chapter 1, the first part of the cave is just insane

Use Grapeshot bombs and watch Nekkers die by dozens.

Van Buren

Wazzim said:
Make use of bombs, traps and magical signs for groups. Do not head into melee range until there are two enemies left at most. Axii, Quen, Yrden are essential signs to use at lower levels. Red Haze is like a group Axii, so keep making them and using them. Really, you have many ways to approach any encounter - experiment, and don't stick to just using swords.

Wazzim

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Use Grapeshot bombs and watch Nekkers die by dozens.
Van Buren said:
Make use of bombs, traps and magical signs for groups. Do not head into melee range until there are two enemies left at most. Axii, Quen, Yrden are essential signs to use at lower levels. Red Haze is like a group Axii, so keep making them and using them. Really, you have many ways to approach any encounter - experiment, and don't stick to just using swords.
Thanks guys, used the tip and killed them in no time. Stupid me didn't think about using some bombs >_<

Castor Krieg said:
You are complaining about exploits that exist in almost every game. "Clever use of game mechanics", that's what it's called in MMO world. THe same way you can complain why there is even a boss fight if
Iorveth's men can just shoot Letho
. Why the need for two more Chapters, you could've ended it right there!

"Clever use of game mechanics" is generally not very fun. A bossfight should be a climax. THIS bossfight should be the ultimate match of magic and swordplay, not some sort of perverted fantasy version of dodgeball.

There's game that challenge you with hard bosses that still tap into the core skills you used on all the trash mobs that came before with legitimate and fun challenges. DMC3, Vanquish, Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden, Diablo 2, Legend of Mana, the list is enormous. This kind of artificial balance simply highlights the flaws in the balancing of the core mechanics. All the kiting happens in the end because putting parry on a recharge mechanic along with several other abilities instead of making it reflex based simply leads to you running around watching bars fill. I just don't think it's good gameplay, and it's in stark contrast with all the good things the game does.

Salaadin

JWong said:
Wow, a pretty high
score from Gametrailers. Video clips full of spoilers though.

Its killing it in reviews. Im glad to see it getting a lot of praise...hopefully that leads to good sales, more money for CDPR, and more expansions/DLC for us.

FuKuy

Salaadin said:
Its killing it in reviews. Im glad to see it getting a lot of praise...hopefully that leads to good sales, more money for CDPR, and more expansions/DLC for us.

Hopefully, this game deserves even more sales than the previous one.

The launcher has to be the biggest piece of shit I've ever had on my PC. It's been days and I still couldn't download the troll quest. I finally got it to start downloading, I walked away for a little while, and come back to find the launcher frozen. Did the dl finish? I have no idea. The quest still isn't available in game. I gave up and found a link on GOG forums to download it elsewhere.

Salaadin

Confidence Man said:
The launcher has to be the biggest piece of shit I've ever had on my PC. It's been days and I still couldn't download the troll quest. I finally got it to start downloading, I walked away for a little while, and come back to find the launcher frozen. Did the dl finish? I have no idea. The quest still isn't available in game. I gave up and found a link on GOG forums to download it elsewhere.

Did the GOG forums link work? Might want to post that for the others still having issues.
I hope they roll this patch out soon, its supposed to fix all the DLC problems.

EDIT: Wow @ CDPR announcing a new game at E3! Good for them.

JWong

Banned
Salaadin said:
I just hope it stays on top of LA Noire since that game is pretty bad.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:

Makes me think if they had a Chaper 3 about as long as the second and epilogue as long as the prologue, they'd probably be hitting high 90s / perfects across the board. But low 90s is a well deserved feat.

Zeliard

VisanidethDM said:

You can beat a number of Demon's Souls bosses by completely exploiting game mechanics in such a fashion.

That's also one way that one person fought that one boss. When I fought Letho on Hard it was a much more offensive battle.

FuKuy said:
Hopefully, this game deserves even more sales than the previous one.

System requirements may be an enemy here, but the game has all it needs to sell. It's instantly impressive, even from a sheer commercial perspective. Imagine a guy watching a playthrough on Youtube or JustinTV.

The first thing you see is one of the best digital naked women in videogame history, and the vista you get as soon as Geralt exits the tenth is possibly the technically most impressive in the game. At this point half the guys close the stream and log on Steam.

It has everything it needs to sell. If it doesn't, it's probably gonna be for RPG-stygma.

VisanidethDM said:

Letho

Hmm, I may need to go back and play it again, but I don't recall having the slightest bit of trouble with that fight. Just turned on my quen and beat him till he died.

Van Buren

VisanidethDM said:
"Clever use of game mechanics" is generally not very fun. A bossfight should be a climax. THIS bossfight should be the ultimate match of magic and swordplay, not some sort of perverted fantasy version of dodgeball.

That isn't the only way to fight the boss though. On Hard, my fight was a mirror match since I started mimicking his attacks, and was surprised that it proved equally effective against him as it did against me. It was a tense game of cat and mouse, and was a certain highlight of the game. It was, as you say, an ultimate match of magic and swordplay, with Geralt using his magic to bring down the boss's defenses, hacking at him while he is vulnerable, and escaping the boss's reply in kind. Regarding the bomb spamming, well, Alchemy spec needs to have a way to damage him, and I'm pleased that they didn't lock out the use of bombs artificially. Is it cheap way to kill the boss ? Yes, but it is not the only way, and that's the strength of the combat system - choices.

VisanidethDM said:
All the kiting happens in the end because putting parry on a recharge mechanic along with several other abilities instead of making it reflex based simply leads to you running around watching bars fill. I just don't think it's good gameplay, and it's in stark contrast with all the good things the game does.
I've got to disagree with this as well since the mapping of Vigor to parry makes it a game of strategic resource management, at least on Hard. Assassin's Creed allowed for unlimited parries, and the result is an entire street filled with enemy corpses. On the other hand in Witcher 2, a single block/riposte might be too expensive compared a sign on certain fights, while the converse holds true for others.

Zeliard said:
You can beat a number of Demon's Souls bosses by completely exploiting game mechanics in such a fashion.

That's also one way that one person fought that one boss. When I fought Letho on Hard it was a much more offensive battle.

Yet that video is extremely representative of how the game plays. The way the game falls apart (requiring you to kite and trap and bomb) as soon as you're fighting multiple opponents is another example. There's way too much aimless running around, there's not enough system mastery.

It's a personal opinion, of course, but I feel TW2 plays poorly as an action game, and it's not deep enough to get a free pass for not being one. It reminds me too much of Assassin's Creed, and it would really need to be more like Zelda.

Just experienced the transition from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2.

All I can say is WOW.

Epic doesn't even describe it. The most incredible part is, I can tell that this is only HALF of the story. Go the other way and it's different and it tells it all over again.

That is so damn cool.

It's like Chapter 1 was preparing you and just setting you up for the MAIN part of the game which would happen in Chapter 2. Wholly crap there is SO MUCH in Chapter 2.

I am in LOVE it's like a whole new game. OMG YAY!

Van Buren said:
That isn't the only way to fight the boss though. On Hard, my fight was a mirror match since I started mimicking his attacks, and was surprised that it proved equally effective against him as it did against me. It was a tense game of cat and mouse, and was a certain highlight of the game. It was, as you say, an ultimate match of magic and swordplay, with Geralt using his magic to bring down the boss's defenses, hacking at him while he is vulnerable, and escaping the boss's reply in kind. Regarding the bomb spamming, well, Alchemy spec needs to have a way to damage him, and I'm pleased that they didn't lock out the use of bombs artificially. Is it cheap way to kill the boss ? Yes, but it is not the only way, and that's the strength of the combat system - choices.

I've got to disagree with this as well since the mapping of Vigor to parry makes it a game of strategic resource management, at least on Hard. Assassin's Creed allowed for unlimited parries, and the result is an entire street filled with enemy corpses. On the other hand in Witcher 2, a single block/riposte might be too expensive compared a sign on certain fights, while the converse holds true for others.

I linked that video instead of a capture because it does show an exploit. You can play it better, and make it look more entertaining, but it doesn't change the fact that you can run to a corner and spam bombs and Letho will be attacking the air because the AI is embarassing.

Let's be clear here: this ain't no DMC. And it's not Zelda either. If the game didn't look this good and didn't have such solid storytelling, we wouldn't certainly be noticing it for the gameplay.

Salaadin

ColonialRaptor said:
Just experienced the transition from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2.

All I can say is WOW.

Epic doesn't even describe it. The most incredible part is, I can tell that this is only HALF of the story. Go the other way and it's different and it tells it all over again.

That is so damn cool.

It's like Chapter 1 was preparing you and just setting you up for the MAIN part of the game which would happen in Chapter 2. Wholly crap there is SO MUCH in Chapter 2.

I am in LOVE it's like a whole new game. OMG YAY!

Which side did you go with?

Salaadin said:
Did the GOG forums link work? Might want to post that for the others still having issues.
I hope they roll this patch out soon, its supposed to fix all the DLC problems.

Yeah it worked, it's just a dzip file you drop in the CookedPC folder. The download came with all the other preorder DLCs too, though I'm not sure how legit it is to link given CDP's whole idea here is to prevent any downloads outside of their own launcher (i.e. only registered users are supposed to get it). Here's the thread from gog, anyway:

http://ip-70-38-122-100.static.priv...itcher_2/troll_troble_download_problem/post31

Stahsky said:

I defeated him without allowing him to even touch me on my first time even seeing him and I don't even understand what people thought was so difficult about it, whereas the Kayran was a totally different story and took me about 25 tries... lol!

Salaadin said:
Which side did you go with?

Roche... I don't know if I feel good about my decision now, I don't know if I'm going to regret it later on or not, but I certainly like what I've seen so far, and I want the chance to bang Ves so this is the way I chose to go.

I'll play again later and choose the other side and see the way it goes by taking the other path because I want to see it all anyway, I think the game will be quite different - you can tell it would be.

What an amazing piece of work.

Zeliard

VisanidethDM said:
Yet that video is extremely representative of how the game plays. The way the game falls apart (requiring you to kite and trap and bomb) as soon as you're fighting multiple opponents is another example. There's way too much aimless running around, there's not enough system mastery.

How is that "the game falling apart"? You're not just a sword fighter. You have other tools. You're supposed to try and gain some distance so you can do things like throw bombs and set traps. That's part of the point.

When you're fighting groups the enemies won't just conveniently attack you one-by-one like in too many games, but instead they'll all go for you, so you're meant to thin the herd through various methods. You also try to isolate the weaker enemies and take them out so that you aren't overtaken as easily, and you do this again using the wide number of tools at your disposal. There's an entire tree devoted to alchemy; how is the use of bombs and traps in battles somehow deplorable?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VisanidethDM said:
I linked that video instead of a capture because it does show an exploit. You can play it better, and make it look more entertaining, but it doesn't change the fact that you can run to a corner and spam bombs and Letho will be attacking the air because the AI is embarassing.

Let's be clear here: this ain't no DMC. And it's not Zelda either. If the game didn't look this good and didn't have such solid storytelling, we wouldn't certainly be noticing it for the gameplay.

While I agree that the combat is the weakest part of the game and it could use some refinement, but I wouldn't call the AI embarrassing. Opponents try to surround you and hit your weak spots. The AI seems decent enough and does the job, but it obviously isn't anything extraordinary. To me, embarrassing would be something where enemies just stand around or get stuck on the environment. They are much smarter than that.

Despite the combat's flaws, it is still decent enough and skill does come into play. I started over on Hard last night and ploughed through the prologue without a combat death. I absolutely dominated opponents because I knew how to play when I struggled on a lot of fights during my first play through. That says something good about the combat system, in my opinion.

Van Buren

VisanidethDM said:

So the use of items, which worked up until then, and have no reason to stop working, is an exploit ? What's next ? The decrying of Baldur's Gate 2 to be "embarassing" because the "ultimate encounter" of Kangaxx can be trivialized by the use of a scroll ?

There is no logical reason for the boss to suddenly have immunities against bombs. There are bosses against whom the same strategy does not work as well, and it makes sense for them.

VisanidethDM said:

I dislike and totally disagree with these comments sorry.

I REALLY enjoy the game play. I enjoy the game play more than any other RPG that I've ever played.

I enjoy fighting so much that I look forward to the grind of battling enemies more than any other RPG I've ever played.

That is your opinion. Definitely not fact.

Sober

Castor Krieg said:
I want to play this time a bit differently, however I'm playing Insane, so I got the question to the beginning of Chapter 2:
Does losing the duel to Saskia end with Game Over?
No, I don't think it really matters because I decided to let her wail on me to see if she killed Henselt and if the story would progress differently, so I pulled up the steam overlay and started browsing. About halfway through the healthbar (it takes a while), they get interrupted.

Also, in regards to all the combat discussion, at least you aren't this guy

Exuro

ColonialRaptor said:
I enjoy fighting so much that I look forward to the grind of battling enemies more than any other RPG I've ever played.
It's funny because as much as I hate collectothon quests I kind of wanted some so I could have more reason to go out and fight monsters. Love the combat despite some hit detection/targeting system issues.

RedSwirl

Where do you collect your free GOG game anyway? And which one is the best? I don't think I've actually heard of any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom