• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

Zefah said:
How do you see this? Does it happen if you choose Roche?

Yeah probably. In fact i shall do it!
I'm doing Roche's path right now on easy, so i will get on that right away.

Solo

I just want to play the game right now, but Steam is like "fuck you Solo, you must wait while we download this 10 GIGABYTE PATCH!"

:(

epmode

So this patch seems to have made it impossible to scroll the journal text using a controller. You used to be able to use the right-stick to look through long entries but it's not working anymore. Am I just missing something?

edit: Mousewheel still works when in the controller mode but nuts to that. I DEMAND A NINE GIGABYTE PATCH TO FIX THE GODDAMNED JOURNAL.

Sullen

Just beat the game. Man, after going back and reading some people complaints about the ending in this thread, I ended up with a totally different ending it seems. And I thought mine was awesome.

Zeliard

What's the deal with some people being able to allocate their talent points whenever they want, without meditating?

That has never worked for me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So whatever happened to the truckloads of digital content that were supposed to come with the game? What is the point of giving a guide if you don't give it until everyone has already beaten the game multiple times?

Zeliard

Dice said:
So whatever happened to the truckloads of digital content that were supposed to come with the game? What is the point of giving a guide if you don't give it until everyone has already beaten the game multiple times?

Dunno about other versions but GOG got the guide, artbook (which is 200 pages of awesome) and everything else immediately.

Red

Dice said:
Maybe that's what's coming in the Steam patch, and that's why it's so huge?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dice said:

If you're on Steam go to view->tools->Witcher 2 bonus content.

It doesn't automatically download.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pankaks said:
If you're on Steam go to view->tools->Witcher 2 bonus content.

It doesn't automatically download.
Thanks. It would have been nice of them to put this on the game's page or something.

However, if it didn't download yet, why was the first download so huge compared to the GoG version?

epmode said:
So this patch seems to have made it impossible to scroll the journal text using a controller. You used to be able to use the right-stick to look through long entries but it's not working anymore. Am I just missing something?

edit: Mousewheel still works when in the controller mode but nuts to that. I DEMAND A NINE GIGABYTE PATCH TO FIX THE GODDAMNED JOURNAL.
The patch messed up the sticks in the UI completely. Left stick doesn't work on the radial menu anymore, or for other stuff like picking a meditation time. Have to use the d-pad which blows.

Max

I am not Max
Really wish I could be playing this game right now for a second playthough but it'll take all day to download 9GB on a 300 KB/S max connection

Thanks for patching the game this way

epmode

Dice said:
However, if it didn't download yet, why was the first download so huge compared to the GoG version?
It's due to the way Steam handles patches and the way CD Projekt structured the game's files.

Steam doesn't patch so much as replace outdated files wholesale. Most of The Witcher 2's content is stuck inside a 9 gigabyte dzip file. Soo if any little thing changes in that file, Steam users will have to redownload the entire thing.

Most developers don't structure their game this way for this very reason but here we are.
Jay Shadow said:
The patch messed up the sticks in the UI completely. Left stick doesn't work on the radial menu anymore, or for other stuff like picking a meditation time. Have to use the d-pad which blows.
At least they fixed the character attributes section! No more ultra-fast scrolling.

Solo

Zeliard said:
What's the deal with some people being able to allocate their talent points whenever they want, without meditating?

That has never worked for me.

Press C, allocate points, profit, plough

Zeliard

Solo said:

Tellin you man, that doesn't work for me. I *have* to meditate and then go to the character screen from the radial menu in order to allocate points.

I mean it's not at all a big deal, especially since I've probably only leveled up during combat once or twice, but it is pretty strange.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Solo said:
That doesn't work o.o... I have to go through meditate...

Kyaw

Zeliard said:
Tellin you man, that doesn't work for me. I *have* to meditate and then go to the character screen from the radial menu in order to allocate points.

I mean it's not at all a big deal, especially since I've probably only leveled up during combat once or twice, but it is pretty strange.

Yoshichan said:
That doesn't work o.o... I have to go through meditate...

You guys are crazy!

Pressing C works fine for me too.

Solo said:

Yep I could do this on my first play-through, started my second and now I have to meditate to allocate points. I'll admit it does make more sense to have to meditate but doing it on the fly mid battle was helpful at times.

Funny thing, I died on Insane in the Prologue, but for some reason I can still load my game from within the Main Menu, lol.

Also, how many DLC items do you guys have? Blue Jacket, Gloves, Pants, anything else?

Van Buren

Salaadin said:
Act 3 spoilers
Fuck the Operator. Any tips for this part?

Which difficulty ? If it's Hard, be prepared to invest a few hours into that fight. Anything below that should be manageable for a swordsman build. The minions and the boss are susceptible to Axii/Red Haze, if you need a breather. Keep Quen up and dodge away from the minions after a strong strike or two at the most. Use pillars to protect yourself from the fireballs. Seriously, hump those pillars.

Fuck I love this game.

Played a few more hours last night, I think I might be getting close to the end of chapter II as I
just crossed the mist with Zoltan to look for the relics at Vergen
(Roche path). How much of chapter II do I have left?

Also, was totally surprised by the result of
drinking the visionary's potion. The "mushrooms" are meant to be giant cocks, right?

Kyaw

Dig into My Documents > The Witcher 2 > Config > InputQWERTY.txt

Search for

IK_C=(GameKey="GI_Character",Value=1)

If not there, change the value/paste it in. See if that works for you guys.

Zeliard

Huh.

Is it difficulty levels, maybe?

I'm playing on Hard, but I can't imagine they would make that sort of meaningless change from Normal to Hard. Having to meditate to allocate points doesn't add difficulty, it just adds a couple of unnecessary extra steps.

Zeliard said:
Huh.

Is it difficulty levels, maybe?

I'm playing on Hard, but I can't imagine they would make that sort of meaningless change from Normal to Hard. Having to meditate to allocate points doesn't add difficulty, it just adds a couple of unnecessary extra steps.

I think it's the difficulty. I played first time on Normal, and I remeber I could add it simply by pressing "C". Played on Hard and I had to meditate.

Van Buren

BanShunsaku said:
Fuck I love this game.

Played a few more hours last night, I think I might be getting close to the end of chapter II as I
just crossed the mist with Zoltan to look for the relics at Vergen
(Roche path). How much of chapter II do I have left?

Also, was totally surprised by the result of
drinking the visionary's potion. The "mushrooms" are meant to be giant cocks, right?

Read the journal entry for that quest. Hilarious, and explains what it might be.

Regarding length, anywhere from 2 - 5 hours depending on how much you explore, and how many side quests you have left.

Castor Krieg said:
I think it's the difficulty. I played first time on Normal, and I remeber I could add it simply by pressing "C". Played on Hard and I had to meditate.

This may be the issue, my first play was on normal and I could just press 'C'. Bumped it up to hard for my 2nd play and now I have to meditate. It's a strange change to say the least.

Salaadin

Van Buren said:
Which difficulty ? If it's Hard, be prepared to invest a few hours into that fight. Anything below that should be manageable for a swordsman build. The minions and the boss are susceptible to Axii/Red Haze, if you need a breather. Keep Quen up and dodge away from the minions after a strong strike or two at the most. Use pillars to protect yourself from the fireballs. Seriously, hump those pillars.

Normal. I seriously cant do this lol. Im fine until the gargoyles jump down. They almost always knock me back and then both destroy me at once. Im going from 100%hp down to 0 in no time at all. I hate myself.

Kyaw

DualShadow said:
This may be the issue, my first play was on normal and I could just press 'C'. Bumped it up to hard for my 2nd play and now I have to meditate. It's a strange change to say the least.

On my second playthrough, on hard, i can press C to bring up Character development screen.

Tested Insane too. It still works.

Van Buren

Salaadin said:
Normal. I seriously cant do this lol. Im fine until the gargoyles jump down. They almost always knock me back and then both destroy me at once. Im going from 100%hp down to 0 in no time at all. I hate myself.

Those minions hit for something like 300 on Hard, so it's not as bad as it could be. Check this video out for positioning ideas.

Zeliard

Kyaw said:
On my second playthrough, on hard, i can press C to bring up Character development screen.

Tested Insane too. It still works.

Well yes you can bring the character screen up whenever you want, you just can't stick any points in there unless you meditate if you're playing on Hard or above.

Zeliard said:
Well yes you can bring the character screen up whenever you want, you just can't stick any points in there unless you meditate if you're playing on Hard or above.

What he said.

Menu comes up fine just can't allocate points unless you meditate.

Kyaw said:
Ohhhhh ahhh i see. Well then, it must be a difficulty thing.

It doesn't really add any difficulty to the game though, just adds a few steps as someone stated earlier.

Just means you can't gain a new ability mid battle but that isn't that much of a problem.

Overall, I enjoyed the settings and loved the graphics. I absolutely hate the combat system though and came away from the game with an overly sour taste because of it. Crowd control is a major issue and the targeting system is complete shit. I focused on magic for my upgrades but then found myself constantly engaged in close quarter combat because many areas are very (very) small. Not upgrading sword combat to allow Geralt to hit multiple targets was a major mistake (didn't see this upgrade until near the end of the game). This basically meant I should have wasted at least 1 talent on a perk that allows me to hit a guy right in front of me when the game has decided I am actually targeting the guy behind him (fucking frustrating), nevermind having to waste more perks on the Swordmaster side of the talent tree just to unlock that option.

Boss battles are poorly designed and at least one very poor checkpoint (Act 2) nearly gave me a stroke. I can't imagine anyone being able to beat this game on Insane.

All of the mini games are very shallow. Fist fighting is boring and easy while dice poker is just dumb luck with very low wagers. Pointless inventory weight restrictions and having to carry around diagrams makes inventory management too much of a burden, and alchemy is generally tedious - providing only marginal gains in general. I never used potions (ok, there was that one time) and don't feel like I suffered because of it, which makes a major part of the Witcher world useless in this game (my issues with the combat would likely not be significantly reduced by using more potions). In the first game I used Signs, Potions, Oils, stones and stances constantly to manage enemies. In 2, I never felt there was anywhere near as much depth or dynamism.

I also feel like the game has far fewer monster types and far less engaging quests. The game is a real treat to look at, but all in all The Witcher 2 is inferior to The Witcher with a world that seems far smaller and far less mystifying.

I applaud the game's commitment to moral ambiguity and would like to see such systems fleshed out more in future games.

In the end - WTF is up with the end of this game?! The ending I got was absolute shit, even after the credits were done. I assume there is going to be a third game? Unfortunately the focus on combat (and my feelings about that) mean I am unlikely to replay this game any time soon, so I guess I will have to Youtube all the other endings to see what I did wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom