• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

the_prime_mover said:
Overall, I enjoyed the settings and loved the graphics. I absolutely hate the combat system though and came away from the game with an overly sour taste because of it. Crowd control is a major issue and the targeting system is complete shit. I focused on magic for my upgrades but then found myself constantly engaged in close quarter combat because many areas are very (very) small. Not upgrading sword combat to allow Geralt to hit multiple targets was a major mistake (didn't see this upgrade until near the end of the game). This basically meant I should have wasted at least 1 talent on a perk that allows me to hit a guy right in front of me when the game has decided I am actually targeting the guy behind him (fucking frustrating), nevermind having to waste more perks on the Swordmaster side of the talent tree just to unlock that option.

the_prime_mover said:
Pointless inventory weight restrictions and having to carry around diagrams makes inventory management too much of a burden, and alchemy is generally tedious - providing only marginal gains in general. I never used potions (ok, there was that one time) and don't feel like I suffered because of it, which makes a major part of the Witcher world useless in this game (my issues with the combat would likely not be significantly reduced by using more potions). In the first game I used Signs, Potions, Oils, stones and stances constantly to manage enemies. In 2, I never felt there was anywhere near as much depth or dynamism.

So you totally ignored alchemy and somehow found combat overly difficult?

Gee.

the_prime_mover said:
I also feel like the game has far fewer monster types and far less engaging quests. The game is a real treat to look at, but all in all The Witcher 2 is inferior to The Witcher with a world that seems far smaller and far less mystifying.

I disagree with most of your post except the targeting complaint, but this I disagree with even more than the other stuff because:

- Half the monsters in TW1 were reskins of other monsters
- Most of TW1 takes place in Vizima so I'm confused how that could seem larger
- TW2 takes place in three very distinct geographical locations
- TW2 actually has massive expansive environs which you need to traverse

Not saying you're wrong, obviously these are your honest opinions, just having trouble seeing where you're coming from is all.

Zeliard

Hey guys crowd control in combat is a major issue but I'm gonna totally ignore the bombs and traps meant specifically to aid with said crowd control.

joesmokey

This game is extremely dark (graphics wise) for me and is starting to get a little frustrating. For example, the forests around Flotsam I can barely see much and have to constantly spam Z to light up the area (traps are annoying). Also had this problem in the cave while searching for Ostmurk with the onslaught of Nekkers. It was hard to tell how many there actually were and what paths I could backtrack to.

I understand that this is probably intended, but is there a torch or some light aura spell that I'm missing? Constantly hitting z just to see where to go is getting a little old. I'm thinking of just turning the brightness settings up, but that feels like cheating :(.

Exuro

joesmokey said:
This game is extremely dark (graphics wise) for me and is starting to get a little frustrating. For example, the forests around Flotsam I can barely see much and have to constantly spam Z to light up the area (traps are annoying). Also had this problem in the cave while searching for Ostmurk with the onslaught of Nekkers. It was hard to tell how many there actually were and what paths I could backtrack to.

I understand that this is probably intended, but is there a torch or some light aura spell that I'm missing? Constantly hitting z just to see where to go is getting a little old. I'm thinking of just turning the brightness settings up, but that feels like cheating :(.
Turn it to day or use a cat potion?

Zeliard

joesmokey said:

The game really shouldn't be that dark. Check your brightness settings.

There are sections when it's meant to be very dark, but that's usually when you're underground and expected to use a Cat potion. Running around in Flotsam, absolutely not. Your brightness/gamma settings are off.

Sober

Zeliard said:
So you totally ignored alchemy and somehow found combat overly difficult?

Gee.
lol, alchemy only provides marginal gains. I guess things like being able to regenerate health in combat, resistance to bleeding and stuff is marginal? I dunno, I put oil like Hanged Man's venom into some fights
e.g. Letho
and it went from being frustrating to pretty manageable.

gdt

Yeah, check your settings.

Also, if you're using the game on tv (or any pc game, I've noticed) you'll likely have to change the gamma/brightness settings for your tv.

Shahadan

joesmokey said:

I didn't have this problem and not even in the cave you mentionned. I think you can tweek the luminosity in the menu but I'm not sure. there is also the Cat potion to see in the dark.

Zeliard

Joesmokey also make sure you don't have any dynamic contrast bullshit or whatever turned on with your monitor or TV, since that will crush blacks and make the image darker.

Riposte

Sober said:
lol, alchemy only provides marginal gains. I guess things like being able to regenerate health in combat, resistance to bleeding and stuff is marginal? I dunno, I put oil like Hanged Man's venom into some fights
e.g. Letho
and it went from being frustrating to pretty manageable.

Bleeding resistance might be. Extra vigor, more damage, vigor/health regeneration, etc are not "marginal".

joesmokey

Completely forgot about the Cat potion, that definitely makes a bit more sense.

I'll try that out and bump up the brightness/gamma settings a bit in game (using a monitor, not tv). Thanks!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
the_prime_mover said:
In the first game I used Signs, Potions, Oils, stones and stances constantly to manage enemies. In 2, I never felt there was anywhere near as much depth or dynamism.

Why didn't you use signs, potions and oils in this? They really help a lot... Also, what did the stances really bring to the table? Very little, in my opinion. I much prefer the sword combat in TW2. It actually demands a modicum of player skill instead of just finding out which stance works on which enemy.

Also, it's a shame you didn't mess with Alchemy. I was constantly chugging potions and blasting fools with bombs. It didn't feel tedious at all to me. Since I used potions a lot, I would meditate often. Whenever I meditated I would just open up the Alchemy screen, find a potion or bomb that I was running low and and mash the Enter key to make as many as I could.

Zeliard

Riposte said:
Bleeding resistance might be. Extra vigor, more damage, vigor/health regeneration, etc are not "marginal".

Thunderbolt + Swallow is again a slick combo, especially if you have been upgrading your alchemy tree with stuff like increasing the effects of potions.

Cheers to Vesemir.

Shahadan

Guys, when I try to register from the game launcher, I can click on create an account but I can't type anything after that. I thought it was because of the previous issues, but even after the patch I can't type shit. Is it normal?
Maybe I will register on the website directly.

edit : well, not much more succes on thewitcher.com. I guess it isn't fixed.

Zefah said:
Also, it's a shame you didn't mess with Alchemy. I was constantly chugging potions and blasting fools with bombs. It didn't feel tedious at all to me. Since I used potions a lot, I would meditate often. Whenever I meditated I would just open up the Alchemy screen, find a potion or bomb that I was running low and and mash the Enter key to make as many as I could.

On this note it would be sweet if they implemented a way to just type in or select the number of poitions/bombs/oils you wanted to make.

Zeliard

DualShadow said:
On this note it would be sweet if they implemented a way to just type in or select the number of poitions/bombs/oils you wanted to make.

There is a somewhat significant issue with alchemy, though, when it comes to replacing ingredients. If you do it always reverts to the default.

So say you have 10 of one ingredient, but 30 of another. It defaults to the one with 10, and you want to use the one with 30 since there are obviously more.

Except every time you stick that latter ingredient in and make a single potion or bomb, it defaults back to the earlier one, so you can't do the "mash enter" thing in that case. You have to manually replace it each time.

This is sometime I hope they fix at some point.

Zeliard said:
There is a somewhat significant issue with alchemy, though, when it comes to replacing ingredients. If you do it always reverts to the default.

So say you have 10 of one ingredient, but 30 of another. It defaults to the one with 10, and you want to use the one with 30 since there are obviously more.

Except every time you stick that latter ingredient in and make a single potion or bomb, it defaults back to the earlier one, so you can't do the "mash enter" thing in that case. You have to manually replace it each time.

This is sometime I hope they fix at some point.

Yeah this was the other thing I noticed, hopefully they will either patch in fixes for these or at least fix them for the DLC or sequel.

Carm said:
For anyone in/finished Act 2 and went through the battlefield.
Well dang, I just legged it out of there. Didn't bother to look around. I'll remember that for my second play.

Darklord said:
Are my quests all broken? Ever since I left the Kedwani camp in chapter 2 all new or updated quests look like this.
Had this happen a few times to me and it usually fixes itself once I take on a new quest or reload a save. Had a few times in Chapter 2 when the map marker was nowhere near where I was supposed to go.

&Divius said:
I'm still at the very start in chapter one, but I'm getting my ass kicked in every damn battle. I even turned the difficulty down to easy.
Quen is great for shielding and I used aard on one enemy to knock them down and slashed up the other one while I had time. If they are advancing on you roll away and make sure they don't surround you. Main thing isn't to just hack away, need to time your attacks properly. Combat becomes MUCH easier once you unlock some skills. Also if you brought over a save you would have started with some fairly powerful swords and armour. They are really only good up until the first part of Chapter One but they do help ease into the new system.

WARP10CK said:
Nice game but has anyone else had the problem when it suddenly crashes to desktop. It has done this at-least 5 times now and windows reports no errors either ?
Happened 2-3 times to me, just make sure you quicksave fairly regularly. Also make sure to manage your saves as I deleted 1.5 Gig of them this morning...

Van Buren said:
Everything just feels grounded in reality; it's refreshing after the outlandish/bland Dragon Age weapon and armor designs, for a recent comparison.
Absolutely, love seeing new weapons or armour on Geralt. They just look stunning. My steel sword is like a huge sabre and looks really impressive sheathed on Geralts back.

Snuggler said:
I need it real soon or at least a meaty chapter 4 expansion, although that will have some people accusing them of selling an unfinished game.
I would think that they will want to get the console port out within 12 months, Christmas if they have already done enough work on it. During that time they will knock up some small, free DLC like the Troll quest just to make extra playthroughs a bit more meaty but I wouldn't expect a full on extra chapter until early next year. Probably as a lead into TW3 which should be about 2 years from now if they want to make another 30+ hour game.

VisanidethDM said:
GoG's existance only makes CDProject more appealing to the industry's colossi. Acquiring it means expanding your market while dismantling a competitor.
Especially with D2D and Impulse now in new hands it would make sense for EA and Acti to be looking at ways to capitalise on DD since their own efforts have been middling. Can't see CD Projekt ever selling up though, especially due to comments they have made in the past regarding large publishers.

the_prime_mover said:
In the first game I used Signs, Potions, Oils, stones and stances constantly to manage enemies. In 2, I never felt there was anywhere near as much depth or dynamism.
Really? Complete opposite for me, never did anything but hack and slash in TW1 whereas in TW2 I used signs in every encounter along with oils after drinking a few potions. The weapon upgrade system was WAY better and I used a lot of fire stones on my swords in TW2. Combat was a lot more fun too, timing rather than just hack and slash.

Sullen

I didn't have any issues with crowd control, and I only used bombs rarely and never used a trap during the game. However, I focused on the magic path which seemed to make the game really easy even on the hard setting. Upgraded quen shield makes short work of everything, hardly even used my other signs.

Zeliard

Next time you guys go through the game you should try going with the Alchemy tree. On Hard it still keeps some of the challenge and some of the upgrades you get can be pretty neat.

For example, my Thunderbolt potions, after getting the talent that increases potion effects by 35%, increase my damage done by 32%. That is huge. When you combine it with an upgraded Swallow potion you can offset the reduction in vitality from the Thunderbolt.

I try to make it a point not to use Quen because I do agree it can make things a bit too easy. I can't imagine what the upgraded version is like.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How do you take screenshots in this game? I keep pressing Print Screen and trying to paste in Paint, but it doesn't work.

jett

D-Member
I'm enduring my so-so framerate and so-so visuals and am actually playing this sunnavabitch.

Is it me or is the combat kinda unresponsive? Sometimes Geralt's blocks, sometimes he doesn't, and I hate how the camera doesn't track me properly in a fight. How do you reposte btw? Just blocking at the right time and then attacking manually? I'm only in the introductory stages right now, but I prefer W1's combat to this at the moment.

Zeliard

jett said:
I'm enduring my so-so framerate and so-so visuals and am actually playing this sunnavabitch.

Is it me or is the combat kinda unresponsive? Sometimes Geralt's blocks, sometimes he doesn't, and I hate how the camera doesn't track me properly in a fight. How do you reposte btw? Just blocking at the right time and then attacking manually? I'm only in the introductory stages right now, but I prefer W1's combat to this at the moment.

Riposte is a skill you don't unlock till later and blocking uses up your vigor meter, which is also used for signs, so if it depletes you can't do it. I never block, personally. I be rollin'.

You're really gonna want to read the manual, though.

So even the patch fails to work. Jesus. I guess it is time for install number 8.

edit: So I deleted my troll trouble work around and patch installed fine. Of course, DLC still doesn't work. I guess I'll try a reboot and see if that helps.

Or did they not fix the DLC in the patch?

Echoplx

Zeliard said:
Riposte is a skill you don't unlock till later and blocking uses up your vigor meter, which is also used for signs, so if it depletes you can't do it. I never block, personally. I be rollin'.

You're really gonna want to read the manual, though.

Yeah hopefully a respec mod comes along, blocking is such a waste :/

Aeana

I went ahead and reinstalled (with internet off so it didn't auto-patch to 1.1). I hope they release a new patch that fixes the gamepad support. I'll just continue on with 1.0 until then, I guess. Hopefully I'll be fine performance-wise until then. So far, Dxtory has been keeping it locked at a solid 30 on max sans ubersampling, so I'm happy.

gdt

Aeana said:
I went ahead and reinstalled (with internet off so it didn't auto-patch to 1.1). I hope they release a new patch that fixes the gamepad support. I'll just continue on with 1.0 until then, I guess. Hopefully I'll be fine performance-wise until then. So far, Dxtory has been keeping it locked at a solid 30 on max sans ubersampling, so I'm happy.

Damn, might have to do that. I really want to play with a pad, but that patch did really good things for me....

Hopefully they fix that asap.

Coldsnap

wtf This is why PC gaming will never be better than console gaming and never accepted by the non'hardcore. I've been busy all week and have been looking forward to a night of chilling playing the new game I bought and now I gotta re-download it. I know I don't have to patch it but common, I like to know I'm playing the best version ect ect

I'm just bitching but it's the cold truth.

Echoplx

Coldsnap said:
wtf This is why PC gaming will never be better than console gaming and never accepted by the non'hardcore. I've been busy all week and have been looking forward to a night of chilling playing the new game I bought and now I gotta re-download it. I know I don't have to patch it but common, I like to know I'm playing the best version ect ect

I'm just bitching but it's the cold truth.

How did you even come to that conclusion on the PC gaming industry based on 1 games stupid data layout?

wtf man

Zeliard

Coldsnap it's unique to this game and Steam in particular. You almost never see this sort of thing.

The patch for the GOG version, for example, is only 9 megs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got to my first
bath sequence
. I'm taking my time with this, I know. I should be in chapter 2 with this playtime so far. Can't play it as the kids are in the room though, son of a b. And no, I don't want to skip the
bath
scene.

I gave
Triss the rose too btw

Coldsnap

Zeliard said:
Coldsnap it's unique to this game and Steam in particular. You almost never see this sort of thing.

The patch for the GOG version, for example, is only 9 megs.

Alright, still crazy though. How do you patch on steam, I'm seeing no options with right clicking on my game.

So after reading about the gamepad issues with patch 1.1, I think I am going to hold off on installing it.

Has anyone patched the game and not had the gamepad issues?

zlatko

Banned
My internet was down all day so I played a lot of Witcher 2. I'm doing a run through on Insane and wrapped up the whole prologue without dying once. Now I'm in Foltsam and I figure I'll have to start taking a save every 30 minutes and copying into an extra folder. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom