• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
While everyone waits, I just saw this in the OT and it made me love this game even more:

yWPk9.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jim-jam bongs said:
While everyone waits, I just saw this in the OT and it made me love this game even more:

yWPk9.jpg

boss face = me at
the Dragon fight in Chapter 3
. I was sweating.

Downloaded all the .exe DLC files, when I run them they are supposed to patch themselves into the game. Will check after STEAM finishes that 10GB...

1stStrike

Banned
WEGGLES said:
probably because I'm (and likely you are too) using the gog exe.

*shrug* I haven't made any changes to mine. I installed it off the DVD's, played through the game and that was it. I haven't changed out exe's or made any modifications at all so it's pretty bizarre that the DRM-free patch worked.

burgerdog

I will download the patch this time. However, if all future patches force us to download 10gigs again and again, I will simply update the game after a few patches have been released.

Minsc

Gold Member
raphier said:
Yeah, it's 9MB. Sucks for Steam thought.

Wow. 9MB vs 9GB. I think blame goes to both sides. The way Steam works, they only deal with completed files. Oblivion and Fallout work in similar ways though (packs GBs of data in to single files).

3 hours to download the update for me, not too bad. It really does look like you'll be doing a 10GB every two weeks for a while on Steam, as Patch 1.2 is probably already being worked on.

iNvid02

i left steam running in the background and forgot about it. browsing was quite slow and then i saw the little download dots on the steam icon. 9 fucking GB, messed up.

but by the time i saw it i had already downloaded 7.5gb but still

Darkkn

Really enjoying my second playtrough! There is so much new stuff with decisions and quests that i missed on first time around that game still feels really fresh. Can't wait for chapter 2, since that seems to be completely different based on chapter 1 decision.

Why does Geralt have grey/silvery hair and not pure white like in a first game?

falastini

jim-jam bongs said:

yWPk9.jpg

Except TW2 goes in reverse... In all honesty, I had no fear of dieing from mid-chapter 2 > the end. Part of it was Quen abuse, but the combat is a little lacking in my opinion... could've used a little tweaking. Everything else about the game is brilliant, though, and more then makes up for it.

31 hours clocked in. Completed everything minus a handful of quests in both chapter 1 and 2. I'm not sure what all the complaints about the ending were. If chapter 3 was renamed "epilogue" would people still be upset? And I was satisfied with the conclusion with
Letho

some of my choices: *spoilers*

chose Iorveth - had to stick with my boy Zoltan.. plus i went scoia'tael in TW1
jailed Prince - couldn't find definite proof that he was involved in poisoning Saskia... cutscene around the end indicated that he might have? but that he became a great king? kinda unsure about that part
saved Triss - had been choosing her for a majority of the game so i decided to make her rescue a priority at the end
let that sorceress chick blowup - her name escapes me... (the one who helps with the Kayran)... just got sick of her shit
left Saskiadragon impaled on a tree - my only other option was to kill her... probably cause i chose Triss... also found Iorveth beaten down by a pack of guards afterwards... i killed them and told Triss to port him to safety
let Letho live - after hearing him out.. it was obvious that he wasn't my enemy, plus he looked out for Yeniffer.

look forward to trying out some different options, and see what happens.

falastini said:
Except TW2 goes in reverse... In all honesty, I had no fear of dieing from mid-chapter 2 > the end. Part of it was Quen abuse, but the combat is a little lacking in my opinion... could've used a little tweaking. Everything else about the game is brilliant, though, and more then makes up for it.

Completely agree, although the toughest boss in the game is in chapter 3. I just think that they blow their load a little early with the enemy numbers personally, so once you're really tough the same number of enemies is totally inconsequential.

Riposte

jim-jam bongs said:
Completely agree, although the toughest boss in the game is in chapter 3. I just think that they blow their load a little early with the enemy numbers personally, so once you're really tough the same number of enemies is totally inconsequential.

Yeah.

Also what sticks out as a horrible encounter(maybe the worst in the game) is at the end of the Scoia'tael path:

The Siege.

Basically smacking dudes down as they are climbing up ladders very slowly. Then dealing with a bunch of an annoying Dwarfs who both make it a pain to move around and make the encounter too easy by tanking everything for you.

It also LOOKS really stupid, like when a PS2 game tries to show you what a grand battle is. It sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise fully realized game. Guess they aimed too high on that.

Enemies are too slow(if they could dodge roll, especially during 1 v 1 human fights) and you do too much damage after getting the right abilities.

Though I have to say, when the game is fresh, it is incredible. The importance of preparation and brutal difficulty really make it a standout.

Varna

jim-jam bongs said:

Chapter 3 also has the weakest bosses in the game. The
dragon
and
Letho
were super easy at that point. Would have been better if more enemies had lunge attacks.

Riposte said:
Yeah.

Also what sticks out as a horrible encounter(maybe the worst in the game) is at the end of the Scoia'tael path:

Totally agree with that actually, I went down the Roche path on my first run so I only played that bit yesterday.

It's not helped by the fact that the AI seems to struggle really badly to know what to do there, so if you stand next to a ladder you can tear the soldiers up one by one while they shuffle around in front of it with their swords sheathed. Or just stand in front of a ladder spamming Aard and shooting them off into the wild blue yonder.

That whole sequence could have been so much more impressive if it were a moving siege, or if maybe Geralt had to rush to choke-points and collapse them or something.

Varna said:
Chapter 3 also has the weakest bosses in the game. The
dragon
and
Letho
were super easy at that point. Would have been better if more enemies had lunge attacks.

I thought that
the Dragon was a good fight in terms of difficulty, having her able to effectively one-shot Geralt with those extended lunges made it fairly tense. That said, it could certainly have been a lot harder.

And I let Letho live. You monster.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Riposte said:
Yeah.

The Siege.

Basically smacking dudes down as they are climbing up ladders very slowly. Then dealing with a bunch of an annoying Dwarfs who both make it a pain to move around and make the encounter too easy by tanking everything for you.

It also LOOKS really stupid, like when a PS2 game tries to show you what a grand battle is. It sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise fully realized game. Guess they aimed too high on that.

Enemies are too slow(if they could dodge roll, especially during 1 v 1 human fights) and you do too much damage after getting the right abilities.

Though I have to say, when the game is fresh, it is incredible. The importance of preparation and brutal difficulty really make it a standout.

I agree that the scale was pretty underwhelming in your spoilered part, but it sure was fun to blast dudes off the ramparts with Aard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat chapter 2. Didn't like it as much as the other parts of the game
the whole "chaos"-thing was just too much for my liking
. Start of chapter 3 is great though, amazing environments as usual.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't know how you guys consider it easy but gargoyles were still able to kick my ass in chapter 3 even though I had tons of health and 34 armor. And no, I didn't suck, my sword build was almost maxed out and I knew how to fight gargoyles. If you're not able to freeze the bitch with aard and block her in time you're in the world of pain.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My bandwidth cap is crying. Gonna have to turn off automatic updates for this game. I'll allow this one because it is early and thus likely important in terms of bug fixes.

Edit: Would it be possible to manually patch the Steam version or can you only do that with GoG?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm... I just put 10x Greater Critical Mutagens so now I have like 110% chance to crit... and now I'm one shotting everything I see...

Any way to delete mutagens?

Yoshichan

Van Buren said:
Reload an older save ?
I can only find 6-7 previous auto-saves and they're all after I did the mutagen-bullshit :( God damn it...

Varna

subversus said:
I don't know how you guys consider it easy but gargoyles were still able to kick my ass in chapter 3 even though I had tons of health and 34 armor. And no, I didn't suck, my sword build was almost maxed out and I knew how to fight gargoyles. If you're not able to freeze the bitch with aard and block her in time you're in the world of pain.

They will always hit incredibly hard.

Van Buren

Yoshichan said:
I can only find 6-7 previous auto-saves and they're all after I did the mutagen-bullshit :( God damn it...

Did you delete your older saves ? It's times like these when those gigabytes of auto-saves come in handy. If you have deleted the saves, you could try restoring them with disk utilities. It's worth a shot.

Yoshichan

Van Buren said:
Did you delete your older saves ? It's times like these when those gigabytes of auto-saves come in handy. If you have deleted the saves, you could try restoring them with disk utilities. It's worth a shot.
But I didn't delete them... when I click "Load", I can only find like 10-15 saves or something (even thought I've quick saved like 50000000 times). Are they in my harddrive somewhere?

Van Buren

Yoshichan said:
But I didn't delete them... when I click "Load", I can only find like 10-15 saves or something (even thought I've quick saved like 50000000 times). Are they in my harddrive somewhere?

Check My Documents -> The Witcher 2.

Yoshichan

Van Buren said:
Check My Documents -> The Witcher 2.
Oh my God, I love you so much! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Yoshichan said:
Hmm... I just put 10x Greater Critical Mutagens so now I have like 110% chance to crit... and now I'm one shotting everything I see...

Any way to delete mutagens?

Are you complaining? Because if you got 10 mutagen slots pretty sure you followed one of the builds posted online, in which case it was obvious you were going to end up with 100% chance for every critical effect.

Yoshichan

Castor Krieg said:
Are you complaining? Because if you got 10 mutagen slots pretty sure you followed one of the builds posted online, in which case it was obvious you were going to end up with 100% chance for every critical effect.
Yeah, really had no clue it was gonna turn out the way it did. I like having a good build, but I don't want to one shot everything. That's no fun.

HooYaH

Steam patch just finished but what is "Ultimate" in the Downloadable Content section. Can't connect to it for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom