• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokubetsu said:
Wait what'd you miss?
Seems like there is an extra quest and the first part of the notes by the worshipper guy in the eternal battle. If I understand the poster from about 5 pages back. Thread is moving quickly which is nice to see.

Zeliard

Just so you guys who had DLC issues are aware about Troll Trouble, it's a Chapter 1 quest, so if you're already past that and the DLC didn't work for you then you have to wait for another playthrough (or revert to an earlier Ch. 1 save).

So I have the GOG version - should I go ahead and install the patch? I downloaded it from someone who linked it to me from here yesterday but I was ready to install it until some feedback from people came in on weather it was safe to install... I mean, they don't pull a patch unless there is something wrong with it right?

Also - I installed the AMD hotfix and I think it causes the game to run worse than it was running before when I was using Radeon Pro and the Dirt 2 profile. I'll be driver sweeping my computer tonight and putting it back to 11.5. How disappointing is that! It means that I won't be able to upgrade my drivers while I'm playing this game. Oh well. (5970 here).

Also again - I think I'm going to go ahead and install the 0 weight mod, I know it will un-balance the game but I really think it was a god awful design decision to not have a box to put things in. To have to carry around all of the items that you want to keep taking weight on your person is just damn well STUPID and not being able to keep previous armour, having to sell them also SUCKS. I also don't want to have to hold on to old diagrams of crappy things that I don't need any more, but I want to have them just in case. That really shits me. Also things like armour upgrades, and runes, and extra potions and things that I'm not going to use, but I want to keep - I want to be able to HAVE them, but not hold on to them. It's annoying to have to have them in my inventory clogging things up, therefore a box is worthwhile.

How many others have done the 0 weight mod?

Xtyle

Holyshit! just got pass the intro to chapter 2. I thought prologue was epic but this! THIS! I wasn't prepared for such awesomeness!!!!

the patch combined with the hotfix means smooth as butter gameplay..well 80% of the time anyway

ColonialRaptor said:
To be honest I don't see the need for it. Now that I worked out I was carrying around a heap of junk weight and sold it all I can carry all my stuff including tons of crafting ingredients and still be around 175. All the restriction means is that you can't carry 20 different weapons to sell at market. Which doesn't matter as they aren't worth much anyway. All the important stuff like potions, mutagens, runes are all very light so it doesn't affect the weight count.

ColonialRaptor said:

I put that mod in for my second playthrough and I'm enjoying just looting everything without worry and keeping my old armor and interesting swords.

I only have 250 weight limit this time, no idea what ability I unlocked to have 300 in my first playthrough?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ColonialRaptor said:

I'm using it right now.

It feels great to have have to worry about inventory management at all (Add to that, I get to keep my gear from the Witcher 1). One downside is that I occasionally forget to sell all the junk I have on me but it's worth it.

Zeliard

ColonialRaptor said:
Also again - I think I'm going to go ahead and install the 0 weight mod, I know it will un-balance the game but I really think it was a god awful design decision to not have a box to put things in. To have to carry around all of the items that you want to keep taking weight on your person is just damn well STUPID and not being able to keep previous armour, having to sell them also SUCKS. I also don't want to have to hold on to old diagrams of crappy things that I don't need any more, but I want to have them just in case. That really shits me. Also things like armour upgrades, and runes, and extra potions and things that I'm not going to use, but I want to keep - I want to be able to HAVE them, but not hold on to them. It's annoying to have to have them in my inventory clogging things up, therefore a box is worthwhile.

But all that stuff is so worthless. :p Sell it. Why do you need to be able to hold on to old crap with inferior stats? And why hold on to a diagram for some basic leather armor or whatever? Just get rid of it. You don't need 20 lesser mutagens either.

Also make sure you don't have items labeled 'junk' taking up space.

Shahadan

Well I didn't want to at first, but around half of Chapter 2 I was fed up with this shit and I installed the mod. I HATE limited inventories and I hate even more this weight shit. I stopped playing games sometimes only for that.
But it is The Witcher so I tried. But no. I felt lighter after installing it.

gdt

ColonialRaptor said:
So I have the GOG version - should I go ahead and install the patch? I downloaded it from someone who linked it to me from here yesterday but I was ready to install it until some feedback from people came in on weather it was safe to install... I mean, they don't pull a patch unless there is something wrong with it right?

Also - I installed the AMD hotfix and I think it causes the game to run worse than it was running before when I was using Radeon Pro and the Dirt 2 profile. I'll be driver sweeping my computer tonight and putting it back to 11.5. How disappointing is that! It means that I won't be able to upgrade my drivers while I'm playing this game. Oh well. (5970 here).

Make sure you download the specific GOG version of the patch. Also, you should know the patch seems to have broken gamepad/analog stick support in the menus. Radial too.

Coldsnap

Holy Shit patch just made this game so buggy for me. I am still running smooth 40-50fps but there is terrible lag areas, like going from upstairs in the bar at Flotsam to downstairs. Never played like this. Bad texture pop in too, I was not seeing this at all pre patch

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Anyone willing to explain to me how the big talents on Alch work? The when poisoned stuff? Does that mean when he has used some potions on himself?

Zeliard

Stahsky said:
Anyone willing to explain to me how the big talents on Alch work? The when poisoned stuff? Does that mean when he has used some potions on himself?

Yeah when your toxicity is maxed out with potions, it becomes an advantage after learning those talents.

Basically it is meant to encourage you to create and use more potions, which if you're going down the Alchemy tree makes perfect sense.

Coldsnap

Does anyone else camera spin around after you open a door into a different zone? Everytime I open a door my camera does a three sixty.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What do i do with crafting diagrams? When i double click on them, it just says "Action not allowed". Do i just sell them to some merchant or what?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bisnic said:
What do i do with crafting diagrams? When i double click on them, it just says "Action not allowed". Do i just sell them to some merchant or what?
Go do a smith and tell them to make them the item :)

1stStrike

Banned
Shahadan said:
Guys, when I try to register from the game launcher, I can click on create an account but I can't type anything after that. I thought it was because of the previous issues, but even after the patch I can't type shit. Is it normal?
Maybe I will register on the website directly.

edit : well, not much more succes on thewitcher.com. I guess it isn't fixed.

Have you read this article?

I had issues with registering/text not showing up previously. Followed those instructions and my issue was fixed. I registered successfully today and the DLC link is now active in my patcher.

On the note of the DLC - I downloaded them and installed them, but none of the items are showing up in my game? Is there something I have to do to active them?

Solo

I think that I am definitely nearing the end of Chapter 2. Me and Roche are just destroying bitches left and right at the moment. Total bloodlust.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yoshichan said:
Go do a smith and tell them to make them the item :)

What about formulas for potions? Smiths have nothing to do with that. Unless it's because i already know them?

Zeliard

Bisnic said:
What about formulas for potions? Smiths have nothing to do with that. Unless it's because i already know them?

You need diagrams for the potions as well but you make your own in the meditation menu.

You also make your own bombs.

Smiths make traps and gear for you.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Dumb question. For those of you guys who downloaded the game..when you got your download ticket what code did you have to input?

*edit* Nm figured it out.

Solo said:
The anime-style flashbacks are both weird and kinda cool.

I'm not a big fan of them, I liked the painting-look of the first game's flashbacks more but eh it's a minor annoyance in an otherwise awesome game.

Did you get to the part where Vernon
fell through the bridge yet?

Nezabyte

Neo Member
zlatko said:
I figure I'll have to start taking a save every 30 minutes and copying into an extra folder. :p

I think they've mentioned before that it can detect that sort of cheating :p though you're welcome to find out the hard way.

Coldsnap said:
Holy Shit patch just made this game so buggy for me. I am still running smooth 40-50fps but there is terrible lag areas, like going from upstairs in the bar at Flotsam to downstairs. Never played like this. Bad texture pop in too, I was not seeing this at all pre patch

Hmmm... Did you have the GOG version? If this is what's going to happen then I think I'm not going to install it until they put it up officially...

gdt5016 said:
Make sure you download the specific GOG version of the patch. Also, you should know the patch seems to have broken gamepad/analog stick support in the menus. Radial too.

I'm using the game pad but I can't use the meditate system anyway I can only select via the quarters as it is so that's not a problem, and in the menu's I can't use the sticks in the menu I have to use the Dpad in the menu already... so if it's the same as that I don't have to worry so not sure what to do... you obviously can't REMOVE the patch so I might not do that...

Zeliard said:
But all that stuff is so worthless. :p Sell it. Why do you need to be able to hold on to old crap with inferior stats? And why hold on to a diagram for some basic leather armor or whatever? Just get rid of it. You don't need 20 lesser mutagens either.

Also make sure you don't have items labeled 'junk' taking up space.
reptilescorpio said:
To be honest I don't see the need for it. Now that I worked out I was carrying around a heap of junk weight and sold it all I can carry all my stuff including tons of crafting ingredients and still be around 175. All the restriction means is that you can't carry 20 different weapons to sell at market. Which doesn't matter as they aren't worth much anyway. All the important stuff like potions, mutagens, runes are all very light so it doesn't affect the weight count.

Yes see I'm not holding on to any stuff with inferior stuff with the inventory system at the moment... I don't know where you are in the game, but I'm CONSTANTLY trying to manage with like 30 weight space left over and I can't seem to figure out what the F it is that is taking up all my weight AND I'm using the 0.1 weight mod. I've gone through all of my inventory and I really can't figure out what it is that is weighing me down. It's not like I have billions of everything, but I have almost every diagram and I keep all of my crafting items and I have a lot of potions and bombs and traps. What I think it is is just an abundance of various things that weigh 2, 3 or 4 and that's just adding up. So, for me, the way I like to play games, I'm a collector, I like to hold on to things, I feel sort of sick when I sell things like the
Kayran Armour
because I love the way it looks so much and I think it's the only armour with a hood so I am pretty sure that I'm deciding to use the unlimited inventory mod. I originally put on the 0.1 mod because I wanted to limit my inventory to ensure that I didn't 'gank' my experience and make it to easy for myself, but I'm going to put the difficulty up to hard to offset the unlimited inventory.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
epmode said:
It's due to the way Steam handles patches and the way CD Projekt structured the game's files.

Steam doesn't patch so much as replace outdated files wholesale. Most of The Witcher 2's content is stuck inside a 9 gigabyte dzip file. Soo if any little thing changes in that file, Steam users will have to redownload the entire thing.
I wasn't talking about the patch, I was talking about the original download. It was way bigger on Steam.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ugh. Installed 1.1, and now my frame rate is crap. It was actually fine before.

Not only that, but now the game has black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, even though in the options I tell it to run at 1680x1050.

This is on a 6890.

Zeliard

ColonialRaptor said:
Yes see I'm not holding on to any stuff with inferior stuff with the inventory system at the moment... I don't know where you are in the game, but I'm CONSTANTLY trying to manage with like 30 weight space left over and I can't seem to figure out what the F it is that is taking up all my weight AND I'm using the 0.1 weight mod. I've gone through all of my inventory and I really can't figure out what it is that is weighing me down. It's not like I have billions of everything, but I have almost every diagram and I keep all of my crafting items and I have a lot of potions and bombs and traps. What I think it is is just an abundance of various things that weigh 2, 3 or 4 and that's just adding up. So, for me, the way I like to play games, I'm a collector, I like to hold on to things, I feel sort of sick when I sell things like the
Kayran Armour
because I love the way it looks so much and I think it's the only armour with a hood so I am pretty sure that I'm deciding to use the unlimited inventory mod. I originally put on the 0.1 mod because I wanted to limit my inventory to ensure that I didn't 'gank' my experience and make it to easy for myself, but I'm going to put the difficulty up to hard to offset the unlimited inventory.

Is it the Endrega hides maybe? Outside of gear they're the heaviest items I've found so far (well into Chapter 2), at 2 weight units a pop. Make sure you aren't carrying too many of those.

Basically what I do is just go through my inventory looking at the total weight a certain type is taking, and if you're seeing something in the range of 10 units or more, try to see if you can get rid of some of that stuff. I also try never to keep 20 or more of anything that takes up weight, and usually less than that.

And yeah if you do have tons of 2 unit stuff that will ultimately add up. Why are you keeping every diagram? Those things become obsolete as you progress.

I'm all about Alchemy in this playthrough so my inventory is always stacked with bombs, traps, potions, and I honestly manage fine. And I'm at the 250 limit, didn't get that ability in the Prologue that adds an extra 50.

DualShadow said:
Anyone know why when you craft new armor/weapon it doesn't always match the specs on the diagram?
Happened a few times to me. Even didn't get the item after crafting. For some reason it pops randomly afterwards, sometimes after a conversation, sometimes after a change of area. A few instances I swear I never got the item they were talking about.

ColonialRaptor said:
It's not like I have billions of everything, but I have almost every diagram and I keep all of my crafting items and I have a lot of potions and bombs and traps. So, for me, the way I like to play games, I'm a collector, I like to hold on to things, I feel sort of sick when I sell things like the
Kayran Armour
because I love the way it looks so much and I think it's the only armour with a hood so I am pretty sure that I'm deciding to use the unlimited inventory mod.
Currently at the start of Chapter 3 and once I got rid of the junk that wasn't actually in a category in the last chapter I haven't had to manage it at all. Most stuff I don't bother picking up because I have no need for elemental stones. TW2 isn't a typical loot game like other RPG's so I can understand having problems when you try and keep lower spec stuff. CD Projekt have the weight limit so you play the game as a story driven RPG rather than a collectathon. Once a piece of equipment becomes useless to Geralt why would he bother to keep it? As a Witcher he is nomadic so he would only ever keep gear that is useful rather than weigh himself down. Also there is at least one more armour with a hood.

_Xenon_

Banned
Zeliard said:
There is a somewhat significant issue with alchemy, though, when it comes to replacing ingredients. If you do it always reverts to the default.

So say you have 10 of one ingredient, but 30 of another. It defaults to the one with 10, and you want to use the one with 30 since there are obviously more.

Except every time you stick that latter ingredient in and make a single potion or bomb, it defaults back to the earlier one, so you can't do the "mash enter" thing in that case. You have to manually replace it each time.

This is sometime I hope they fix at some point.
Yep, because of this one of my quest cannot be finished and I have to download mods to fix it (one of the quest items can be used to make potion).

_Xenon_ said:
Yep, because of this one of my quest cannot be finished and I have to download mods to fix it (one of the quest items can be used to make potion).
You can make that potion without that quest ingredient though. I made the potion before I had even gone to find that special quest ingredient.

_Xenon_

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
You can make that potion without that quest ingredient though. I made the potion before I had even gone to find that special quest ingredient.
I did change my formula but the alchemy system automatically reverted my formula to default before I noticed and that quest item
Queen Endrega Pheromone
happened to be one of the default items so ...

Well in case anybody else had the same problem as I did, check out GOG's mod list which has all sort of mods to fix quests.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/full_list_of_mods/page1

Coldsnap

ColonialRaptor said:
Hmmm... Did you have the GOG version? If this is what's going to happen then I think I'm not going to install it until they put it up officially...

Steam version, update def bonkered my fps. Turned it off for the night. Rad avatar btw

Oh... there is junk that can be not in a category and just in the main list???

This is something I didn't know and it's HIGHLY possible that I have a heap of junk... lol I'll have to check this out when I get home :/

Coldsnap said:
Steam version, update def bonkered my fps. Turned it off for the night. Rad avatar btw

Thanks man.

gdt

So this game has loot that's specifically junk? Great, I hated that in DAII, no reason at all for it. Ugh.

Edit: Ok, that comment is a little creepy.

Erudite

FlyinJ said:
Ugh. Installed 1.1, and now my frame rate is crap. It was actually fine before.

Not only that, but now the game has black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, even though in the options I tell it to run at 1680x1050.

This is on a 6890.
Wait, it wasn't doing that before? The game doesn't support 16:10, pre or post patch.

Exuro

Ugh finished updating the game on Steam, started it and after clicking launch game in the launcher I get this...

ifma8.png

ColonialRaptor said:
Oh... there is junk that can be not in a category and just in the main list??? This is something I didn't know and it's HIGHLY possible that I have a heap of junk... lol I'll have to check this out when I get home :/
Yep, they really need to patch in a catergory for Junk. You WILL have at least 50 weight of useless crap. Also nice edit :)

gdt5016 said:
So this game has loot that's specifically junk? Great, I hated that in DAII, no reason at all for it. Ugh.
It tells you specifically that it is junk when you pick it up. Like, 'Rope Ladder - Junk'. Stuff that has use says Quest Item or Craft Item etc. The junk stuff is just so you can sell it to make a bit of money, trinkets fall into this area. They only show up in the ALL category which is silly. They made a category for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom