• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Exuro said:
Ugh finished updating the game on Steam, started it and after clicking launch game in the launcher I get this...

ifma8.png

I was getting that earlier. Fix for me was uninstall, completely delete everything, and then reinstalling.

gdt

reptilescorpio said:
Yep, they really need to patch in a catergory for Junk. You WILL have at least 50 weight of useless crap. Also nice edit :)

It tells you specifically that it is junk when you pick it up. Like, 'Rope Ladder - Junk'. Stuff that has use says Quest Item or Craft Item etc. The junk stuff is just so you can sell it to make a bit of money, trinkets fall into this area. They only show up in the ALL category which is silly. They made a category for everything else.

Same thing as in DAII. Useless loot, should've been picking up money. All that stuff does is weigh you down.

Carm

reptilescorpio said:
Well dang, I just legged it out of there. Didn't bother to look around. I'll remember that for my second play.

Yea, I tend to search everywhere heh. It's during the Iorveth path.

So anyone that finished Act 2 Iorveth path, did you ever find Visionary Notes 1?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
gdt5016 said:
So this game has loot that's specifically junk? Great, I hated that in DAII, no reason at all for it. Ugh.

Edit: Ok, that comment is a little creepy.

Dragon Age Origins also had "junk" loot. But DAII's junk items didn't have any name.

gdt

subversus said:
Dragon Age Origins also had "junk" loot. But DAII's junk items didn't have any name.

I think it had a "sell all junk button". Origins and DAII both did. I think so, anyway. Made it a bit easier to sell, but not to carry.

gdt5016 said:
Same thing as in DAII. Useless loot, should've been picking up money. All that stuff does is weigh you down.
Yeah it is really only there to make the game seem a bit more real, gotta have rings and stuff laying around otherwise it would just be weird.

Actually one of my favorite features in DAII was the ability to mark regular items as junk so you can sell them in bulk later. I think all RPGS should have that. As long as they don't also include a ton of actual junk.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
DualShadow said:
Anyone know why when you craft new armor/weapon it doesn't always match the specs on the diagram?
I thought this was what was happening, but it was due to not having it selected. It's kinda weird how it works because in some cases you can hover over the desired item to have it selected but in other times (such as crafting), you need to actually click on it first. So yeah, double-check on that.

Zeliard

The junk is pointless in both games. It serves no lore purposes and it takes up space; worse in the Witcher 2 since with no junk category, many people probably miss the junk pieces entirely and they just sit in their inventory weighing them down.

If that stuff is meant to tweak the game's economy, that can probably be done in more effective ways. Witcher 2's inventory management is already varied enough that the junk doesn't serve much point there either.

How About No said:
Can't wait for all the Dennis4K gifs that will appear in this thread.

Van Buren said:
So what does everyone think it is ? New Patches ? DLC ? Expansion ?! or just the inevitable ports ?
Ports and a new title going by the rumour thread that has been running for the last few days. I'm thinking spin-off expansion for Dandelion.

Exuro

Van Buren said:
Was this posted already ? Up on the community page of The Witcher site So what does everyone think it is ? New Patches ? DLC ? Expansion ?! or just the inevitable ports ?
I doubt it would be for console ports. There's no point to announce an announcement that isn't targeted towards the website audience. An expansion sounds too early but it could be a confirmation that an expansion is in the works. I'm guessing it's more DLC quests.

Shahadan

reptilescorpio said:
Can't wait for all the Dennis4K gifs that will appear in this thread.

Ports and a new title going by the rumour thread that has been running for the last few days. I'm thinking spin-off expansion for Iorveth.

fixed for more awesomeness.

joesmokey

I think my video card drivers are fubared :(. I installed the 1.1 patch and have been getting a ton of light map issues, amplifying the darkness problem even more than what I had earlier. Even more prevalent is a ton of glitchiness in general, where if I move the mouse a certain way light maps completely disappear:
JlHvj.png

I'm on 275.27 drivers (GTX 570). Time to downgrade...

Exuro

gdt5016 said:
I was getting that earlier. Fix for me was uninstall, completely delete everything, and then reinstalling.
Whew I was able to verify the files(which were all fine) and the game reinstalled itself and now it works great.

Had to drop the difficulty down to easy. I feel like such a pussy, but the odds that the game stacks against you seem far too high, and now I just want to get on with the story.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Had to drop the difficulty down to easy. I feel like such a pussy, but the odds that the game stacks against you seem far too high, and now I just want to get on with the story.
Don't feel bad, the game is designed for more than one play so on the next run put the difficulty back up now that you have spent more time with the mechanics. Planning on doing my second run on Hard after starting on Easy and moving to Normal in the first chapter.

_Xenon_

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The first chapter is really a bitch when it comes to combat difficulty but once you reach chapter 2 the game suddenly becomes a walk in the park.

This probably has been discussed to death, but what's the conclusion on whether or not you need to have played the original Witcher to get the most out of 2? I started the first one a while back...didn't even finish the first act though.

Think the sequel looks great...plus I'm about to put together a new PC...

Whatya guys think? Go back and play the original first or just go straight to the sequel?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
unagisensei said:
This probably has been discussed to death, but what's the conclusion on whether or not you need to have played the original Witcher to get the most out of 2? I started the first one a while back...didn't even finish the first act though.

Whatya guys think? Go back and play the original first or just go straight to the sequel?

Go back and finish this. It's a fantastic game that gets better and better with each act and you'll appreciate and enjoy TW2 much more.

_Xenon_

Banned
unagisensei said:

No you don't have to. The plot in previous game is barely mentioned in this game and for all the backgrounds you can find them in books bought from merchants in game. The choices you made in TW1 hardly affects your TW2 gameplay.

_Xenon_

Banned
Edgeward said:
This fucking Endrega queen. Ugh, stupid one-shots. This is gonna be one tedious battle.
Make sure you keep the loot from Endrega queen (don't make potion out of it by accident). It's a quest object for in chapter 3!

Edgeward said:
This fucking Endrega queen. Ugh, stupid one-shots. This is gonna be one tedious battle.
Yrden and lots of rolling got me through against the endrega. Main thing is to keep on the move so you don't get hit. Make sure to down a few potions to up your vitality regen and blade damage as well as coating your blade in that spider oil.

unagisensei said:

I am into chapter 2 now of the witcher and I'm loving it. Looking forward to #2.

Shahadan said:
I hate this bitch. And there is more than one !

I was lucky for the first one. It was raining, so I think Yrden did more damage. I was also assisted by the guy standing outside the mental institute, and he'd draw attacks away from me.

Make sure to coat your blade in insect oil!

_Xenon_ said:
Make sure you keep the loot from Endrega queen (don't make potion out of it by accident). It's a quest object for in chapter 3!

What is this loot?

subversus said:
Use traps. I used like 20 of them.

Me too, I'd been collecting Snares and I bunged up the area before hand and she didn't touch me, just put them in a line and she walks towards you and it's the funniest thing watching her jump around as they slam on her (after she'd killed me a few other times).

Shahadan

Waiting for her to ram you and then strong stylin her ass is a good way to go (albeit slow). Quen absorbs two hits, also.

I stuck the second in the middle of the roots of a a tree and could hit her without her being able to.

JWong said:
Yeah, the solution is to change it to stereo, but I don't want to do that.

Haven't heard of any other fixes.

This is what I did:

1. changed it to stereo
2. played a bit, then saved and quit
3. changed back to 5.1
4. loaded the latest save, problem was fixed

It's annoying and really random as to when it decides to fix itself.

Out of interest, where are you at? It seems to affect Chapter 1 most, the bit where you
go and meet with the officer at his house

BeeDog

Alright, seeing as the patch is supposed to fix the GOG.com monk problem (in the Extras section), can someone please tell what it is supposed to be? I uninstalled the game before the patch arrived, and loading my savegame (where I have beaten the monk) doesn't unlock the damn link.

Edgeward said:

Improved dodge, fast > heavy, dodge back > left > forward > right in a single roll, go to town on her butt until she turns around. Repeat until she dies.

WEGGLES

Finished the game. Ch3 seemed rather short, unless I missed a bunch :s

HATED the Dragon fight. Seemed terrrrible.

Can't wait to do another play through, which is uncommon for me. Usually I have the best intentions and never get around to it (Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Fallout 3, New Vegas etc)

BeeDog said:
Alright, seeing as the patch is supposed to fix the GOG.com monk problem (in the Extras section), can someone please tell what it is supposed to be? I uninstalled the game before the patch arrived, and loading my savegame (where I have beaten the monk) doesn't unlock the damn link.
http://www.goodoldmonk.com/
Slight savings, not really interesting. Just advertising.

Angst

JWong said:
Ugh, the 5.1 sound problem still there... can't play this game like that.
My fix (worked for me)

Start a new game, play until you can save the game.

Load your old game

Voices, ambient sound etc is back! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom