• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also did anyone with a 5850 get AA to work? It does absolutely nothing for me and it's really annoying. I'm seriously going nVidia next time.

JWong

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
This is what I did:

1. changed it to stereo
2. played a bit, then saved and quit
3. changed back to 5.1
4. loaded the latest save, problem was fixed

It's annoying and really random as to when it decides to fix itself.

Out of interest, where are you at? It seems to affect Chapter 1 most, the bit where you
go and meet with the officer at his house
Same spot. So it's just a one time thing?

I guess I could do that and move on.

Enkidu

Dice said:
Also did anyone with a 5850 get AA to work? It does absolutely nothing for me and it's really annoying. I'm seriously going nVidia next time.
Do you mean driver level AA? Because I don't think that's working on nVidia cards either.

Veal

Have any other Steam users gotten their special edition stuff yet? I'm looking through the folders and just not seeing any of it...

Echoplx

Veal said:
Have any other Steam users gotten their special edition stuff yet? I'm looking through the folders and just not seeing any of it...

go to the tools menu and the bonus content install is there

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Enkidu said:
Do you mean driver level AA? Because I don't think that's working on nVidia cards either.
No, I mean the game's AA. I'm seriously debating whether or not to play in 720p ubersample or not just to get some AA. Soft vs shimmering garbage everywhere, hmmm...

Leonsito said:
Woooo, my CE just arrived, this thing is huge.

how is everything? some people reported wrecked internal packaging due to statue (statue heavy and can move in transit)

mine was good just minor packaging scuffed

Kyaw

Dice said:
No, I mean the game's AA. I'm seriously debating whether or not to play in 720p ubersample or not just to get some AA. Soft vs shimmering garbage everywhere, hmmm...

Use Allowsharpen=0 in the user.ini file?
You might like the softer look.

Leonsito

cleveridea said:
how is everything? some people reported wrecked internal packaging due to statue (statue heavy and can move in transit)

mine was good just minor packaging scuffed

Yeah, the internal plastic was ripped where the statue is placed, not that it matters much to be honest, everything else is in great condition, even the box corners.

This must be the best CE I've ever bought, and I have the Anno1404 and Bioshock 2 ones.

Ricker

Solo said:
Er, its a quest.

lol

Ok so if it`s a quest,why isn`t there something about it in the journal...the guy who talked to me when I woke up wanted money but since i`m a cheap bastard I threathned him and after that offered only 5 coins,so he didn`t tell me anything so I have no clue
where to find my stuff...if I reload the save,I only have the see you option if I talk to him...someone tell me where to go,I find this quest stupid but I want to see what the sword I won is like

Finally finished up Act I last night and stopped at the end of the first big set piece of Act II. I went into the meeting with
Lethos thinking that I was just going to kill him but then he goes off and reveals that I had once saved his life in the past and even fought side by side with him...BOOM...what a way to complicate my decision and get me to question my loyalties...Was he telling the truth? If so, why would I have help him?
.The fight with
Lethos
was frustrating as hell but ultimately rewarding once you figured out what to do. It was just a very tense confrontation and a good example of a
classic 1 v 1 swordfight.
I was similarly frustrated with
finding Cedric as well but after being stupid about it, I just went ahead and popped a cat potion and found him in no time (despite there being different blood trails)
I went with
Roche despite getting from the line of questioning with Triss that should've directed me to go with Iorveth. Anyways, I loved the infiltration of Loredo's mansion (though now that I think about it...I didn't deal with the spy...was that a choice?). The combination of fighting and sneaking was just really fun although it also highlighted how difficult fighting in close quarters with the given combat mechanics is.

As much as I enjoyed the culmination of Act I, the beginning of Act II was just as awesome. What a setup for combat/conflict in that area. How much bigger is Act II compared to Act I? Or are they roughly the same size?

Last question..Is there a way to trigger more cinematic cutscene kills? As of right now, I feel as though I don't get as many. Is there a specific way I should be casting Aard? Or is it a talent tree issue? In the original one, every 5 or so Aard's I'd hit would result in a stun...Doesn't quite work like that in the sequel..

Haunted

L0st Id3ntity said:
9s5eep.jpg
bahaha

Salaadin

DennisK4 said:
Did Evilore like the game?

I know he was a fan of the first game.

I dont know where hes been.

We all had a similar discussion last week. Wheres Dennis and brain_stew? We found you so I guess EL is taking your place.

DennisK4 said:

Only saw him a couple times in the OT section lately. I doubt anyone who liked the first would find reason to hate the second, tho. It's streamlined, yes, but I think this is an unequivocable case of "dropping unnecessary luggage".

Kyaw

DennisK4 said:

He hasn't been commenting in this thread much.

I think the game is streamlined for a better experience rather than the 'OMG consolization!!1'.

VisanidethDM said:
Only saw him a couple times in the OT section lately. I doubt anyone who liked the first would find reason to hate the second, tho. It's streamlined, yes, but I think this is an unequivocable case of "dropping unnecessary luggage".

The only thing I can say is that I felt as though the original Witcher felt a lot more expansive (but even then it wasn't exactly for the better)..

Salaadin

Gully State said:
The only thing I can say is that I felt as though the original Witcher felt a lot more expansive (but even then it wasn't exactly for the better)..

I prefer Alchemy in the original. As corny as it sounds, I also liked getting myself drunk and stumbling around town whenever I wanted to.
I also wouldve like some of those party missions like in TW1....Shanis partys with you stealing her Grandmas diary or Leuvardens party where you just spend time interacting with others and talking...or fucking with that knight who took a vow of silence. They were all good fun.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm fighting the
kingslayer in Chapter 1.
He QUEN's up, should I just brute force it and dodge or is there an easier way?

Salaadin

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm fighting the
kingslayer in Chapter 1.

Keep your distance and dodge everything he does when his Quen is up. As soon as his Quen wears, get in a good position and attack. If you can get him from behind, even better. The window here is pretty small since he spams Quen like a mother fuck. Ranged weapons and traps are useful too since theyll interrupt him

DennisK4 said:
What the fuck is Terraria and does it have good graphics?

2D Minecraft-like game with a heavier focus on the adventure rather than the crafting and building.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430938

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm fighting the
kingslayer in Chapter 1.

Aard will break his Quen and stagger him for some free hits.

Kyaw

Darklord said:
Probably been asked but if you have sex with
Ves does it effect Geralt and Triss?

Not at all. Geralt is tight lipped about these sex encounters and Triss just doesn't care.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Salaadin said:
I prefer Alchemy in the original. As corny as it sounds, I also liked getting myself drunk and stumbling around town whenever I wanted to.
I also wouldve like some of those party missions like in TW1....Shanis partys with you stealing her Grandmas diary or Leuvardens party where you just spend time interacting with others and talking...or fucking with that knight who took a vow of silence. They were all good fun.

well, you have "Hangover" quest in Floatsam.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Gully State said:
I don't remember that happening...I beat him by waiting for his Quen to be up, Aard/light/heavy repeat...

Aard breaks his Quen every time, even if you fight him again at the end.

Varna

Kyaw said:
He hasn't been commenting in this thread much.

I think the game is streamlined for a better experience rather than the 'OMG consolization!!1'.

But exactly why they did it. =P

For me this is ME2 done right. They just didn't dump all the aspects they have failed on the first time around. Things that were completely reinvented like the combat becomes more interesting and a lot more difficult. Number of skills took a hit, but with the new system your character actually feels and plays different when you try different things (no amount of tweaking really changed anything in W1). The vast open areas remained, side-quest are some of the best in the genre and the choice aspect is incredibly well done. Nearly half the game can change based on your choices.

EDIT: The only really bad consolized element was the inventory... just horrible.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gully State said:

There is one thing from the first game that I truly miss: booze

I liked all of the different grains of booze you could collect and being able to get shit faced at any time.

I accidentally missed the ch1 quest, though.

Wow... Just finished chapter 2 and into chapter 3. Can feel that the game is moving quickly towards it's conclusion now, I'm not quite sure what's going on right at this moment but I'm loving every moment of it.

Exuro

Varna said:
EDIT: The only really bad consolized element was the inventory... just horrible.
Yeah I don't mind the list system, but everything is too big, there needs to be a junk category and there needs to be some sort of sorting system within each category. Alphabetized or something. They also need to add menu to menu transitions.

Exuro

So last night I finished chapter one siding with Iorverth instead of Roche and it's amazing how different the ending becomes. The beginning of chapter 2 was pretty cool
being on the side of Stennis instead of Henselt. Barely got into Vergen but it looks pretty cool. Love their choices on the choice system. New gameplay ho!

subversus

Ok, so I start getting into Sapkowsky's books. The Last Wish is enjoyable but uneven. Some stories are a bit weak if we talk about writing, not plot or characters (well, again it might be translation). But the next book kicks ass. Sapkowsky is like the opposite of China Mieville. 90% of Mieville's prose consists of detailed portrayals of people, places and items. 90% of Sapkowsky's prose is dialogue.

Also I finally know who the fuck is Alice Yennifer. THE PLOT THICKENS.

Dennis

Banned
Solo said:
Like you, he is a godless heathen without The Witcher 2 in his life.
Evilore doesn't have the game?

Surely he can afford all the high profile games at launch....what with all that mad NeoGAF money.....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DennisK4 said:

Surely he can afford all the high profile games at launch....what with all that mad NeoGAF money.....

he's holding out for the 360 version

for the achievements and stuff

subversus

DennisK4 said:

why are you so interested if Evilore has the game? Buy it yourself and enjoy it!!

He has preordered CE and Steam as far as I know, but whatever...

Gunpriest

Neo Member
This optional boss in act 3 is a joke, right? Absolutely impossible with the joypad bug. Cant roll, attack, magic. And the gargoyles are almost oneshotting me. Even quen is useless o_O

Is the loot at least worth the trouble or should i just go with the respec?

Okay so I just bought this (still playing through the first one). After this download will I have to re-download the 9GB file or is it already patched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom