• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Gunpriest said:
This optional boss in act 3 is a joke, right? Absolutely impossible with the joypad bug. Cant roll, attack, magic. And the gargoyles are almost oneshotting me. Even quen is useless o_O

The guy in the basement in case you pick not to reroll your stats right?

The Gargoyles are 1 shotable with Arn or whatever the first spell is called. You shoot that them, then just swing once with a heavy swing. The 4 pillars in the room are used to hid behind in case your vigor isn't quick restoring. The actual boss dies realtively quickly if you just hammer him with heavy sword swings, and make sure you aren't using your silver sword on accident. :p

I only had 2 vigor bars at any time, so I would always level 3 quen up from the start, evade his first fire, go crazy with heavy swings, then the first gargoyles show up. Hit them with the air wave blast spell, swing once, and it dies. Took me 2 tries. :)

Salaadin

zlatko said:
The guy in the basement in case you pick not to reroll your stats right?

The Gargoyles are 1 shotable with Arn or whatever the first spell is called. You shoot that them, then just swing once with a heavy swing. The 4 pillars in the room are used to hid behind in case your vigor isn't quick restoring. The actual boss dies realtively quickly if you just hammer him with heavy sword swings, and make sure you aren't using your silver sword on accident. :p

I only had 2 vigor bars at any time, so I would always level 3 quen up from the start, evade his first fire, go crazy with heavy swings, then the first gargoyles show up. Hit them with the air wave blast spell, swing once, and it dies. Took me 2 tries. :)

He was a bitch for me too but zlatkos advice is pretty much how I did it too. Van Buren posted a video of the fight as well that helped me a ton with postioning and strategy:
ACT 3 SPOILERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNiY77vjOY

DennisK4 said:
Did Evilore like the game?

I know he was a fan of the first game.

Hey DennisK4, now that you are back, have you realized the error of your ways in regards to Bronze God Geralt shenanigans? The game just wouldn't work with him!

Crunched said:
Anyone know how to apply weapon enhancements using a gamepad? I can't figure out how to click and drop.

Select the enhancement in your inventory and use (A) to apply it to your steel sword or (X) to apply it to your silver sword.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
He was a bitch for me too but zlatkos advice is pretty much how I did it too. Van Buren posted a video of the fight as well that helped me a ton with postioning and strategy:
ACT 3 SPOILERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNiY77vjOY

After dying a lot, i just beat him.

Just needs a lot of luck not getting stuck or rolling straight into a gargoyle. I used aard to keep the gargoyles from getting too close to the pillar i was hiding behind, once adrenaline was full, i activated helitrope and killed the gargoyles after stunning them with aard. Helitrope lasted long enough for all three gargoyle waves.

Sullen

Wait the basement guy was some kind of boss? Man, upgraded Quen Sign owned that guy as well. I almost feel like that power is too strong if you use the magic path.

Red

jim-jam bongs said:
Select the enhancement in your inventory and use (A) to apply it to your steel sword or (X) to apply it to your silver sword.
That's for oils. Thanks for the reply regardless. I see now I need open slots for enhancements. My earlier equipment didn't have any.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
haha, this game is good in English. I played with Polish voices on my first walkthrough but I decided to give it a go and voiceovers turned out to be actually well done. Now I know why mods changed OT title.

subversus

ok, so I want to try an alchemy build since the mage is overpowered. Any tips?

Also how can I cure my poisoning? And should I get poisoned since some perks seem to require this?

subversus said:
ok, so I want to try an alchemy build since the mage is overpowered. Any tips?

Also how can I cure my poisoning? And should I get poisoned since some perks seem to require this?
I'm doing alchemy on hard, the most useful skill is one you get very early (+100% damage for traps and bombs), the remaining are not that great (I just unlocked +10% duration for potions). Do it for the challenge only.

AFAIK, no immediate cure for posion, only potions to minimize its effect.

subversus

L0st Id3ntity said:
AFAIK, no immediate cure for posion, only potions to minimize its effect.

I meant "being poisoned". Like I drank too much potions.

Or is this adrenaline ability works if you're poisoned by somebody else?

Tokubetsu

subversus said:
I meant "being poisoned". Like I drank too much potions.

Or is this adrenaline ability works if you're poisoned by somebody else?

I believe meditation gets rid of alchemical poisoning.

Solo

The Siege of Vergen - I fight
Dethmold and his men, but Dethmold runs behind a force field or whatever when hes low on health, and I kill everyone else, and then can't get to him.
Glitch, or am I missing something?

Peff

Solo said:
Dethmold and his men, but Dethmold runs behind a force field or whatever when hes low on health, and I kill everyone else, and then can't get to him.

Yes, after half the HP or so the battle should end with a cutscene. The scripts probably got bugged, it happened to me with
the rain of fire arrows in the battle

Van Buren

Solo said:

If that is the Roche side run, I had the same issue. It was solved by reloading the game, and touching the glitchy boss only after everyone else was accounted for.

Solo said:

He is supposed to do that, but I'm pretty sure he should come back eventually. It's either that or the battle is over and he teleports away. How long have you waited for him to do something.
If it's been a while, it may be a glitch lol

Kyaw

I've got the glorious GIF of Loredo's mother part. Shall i post the image or link it? [Spoilers?]

Link here anyways: CLICKY

Hold on, i'll make a smaller version for captioning purposes.

jett

D-Member
Is it me or is the sound design pretty bad? I can't really tell from which direction a sound or a voice is coming from.

Lime

Kyaw said:
I've got the glorious GIF of Loredo's mother part. Shall i post the image or link it? [Spoilers?]

:lol you actually did it? Someone promote this man! Flawless victory indeed!

Peff

Fallout-NL said:
Nearing the end of the first chapter. Still got these crappy 'short gauntlets', anyone know where to get some better ones?

Gauntlets, boots and trousers are all pretty mediocre throughout the entire game. At most you'll be getting +2 or +3 (very rare) armor and some sub-10% modifiers, so don't worry too much about those.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Use headphones. I have crappy speakers, and already at the start did I notice how unbalanced the voices were versus the music and soundeffects, so it was hard to hear what they said sometimes. So I started using headphones (the set I'm using is the set that came with my HTC Desire HD phone).

Peff said:
Gauntlets, boots and trousers are all pretty mediocre throughout the entire game. At most you'll be getting +2 or +3 (very rare) armor and some sub-10% modifiers, so don't worry too much about those.

Cheers.

Kyaw said:

Another cool thing about that part is
you're high on Fisstech for half a minute, after she throws it in your face. It's gooooood stuff

Kyaw

Lime said:
:lol you actually did it? Someone promote this man! Flawless victory indeed!

Yeah i just got to this part on my second playthrough and thought it was a pretty damn cool scene. Pure captioning material!
1080p GIFs can be done.. just need a good host which is near impossible without paying money.
Could use dropbox but that would be mean.

How About No said:
Another cool thing about that part is
you're high on Fisstech for half a minute, after she throws it in your face. It's gooooood stuff

Yeah i found that pretty awesome. Also
where is the part where you get high and see giant wooden dildos?

I'm trying to figure out
how he drew his sword out so fast from his back ....
...Not trying to sound nitpicky mind you b/c the scene is still badass...

Kyaw said:
Yeah i found that pretty awesome. Also
where is the part where you get high and see giant wooden dildos?

Roche path quest called The Way to Visions. The Visionary gives you a potion to imbibe at a particular shrine and you start hallucinating a giant chicken surrounded by giant dildos. When he wakes up, Geralt says something like "Hmm. I might keep that vision to myself."

If you tell the Visionary about it he says he suspected that his herbs had gone bad because he'd been having the same visions.

Kyaw

Tbh, the scene is quite dark.

Solo said:
Chapter 2 done! Roche path - I let
Rocke take his vengeance out on Henselt
. Fuck yea!

Did you do all the side quests for Roche's path? Also this is your second playthrough right?
I was wondering if you get 300 weight limit in your second playthrough instead of 250 from the first?

Seltkirk's armour does look pretty badass:

seltkirk28h4.png

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm at the start of chapter 1, when do my other skill trees get unlocked? I'm hesistant to spend any points until I can look at them...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrio said:
Lvl 7? When I have 7 skill points invested? When I bang 7 whores? What?!!

edit: DAMN YOUR EDIT

Gotta spend your points first, unfortunately.

Deadly

Kyaw said:
I was wondering if you get 300 weight limit in your second playthrough instead of 250 from the first?
You get to 300 weight limit (+50 from base) during the prologue if
you spared Aryan during the fight and encounter him again in the castle dungeon and help him burn it down

Kyaw

Deadly said:
You get to 300 weight limit (+50 from base) during the prologue if
you spared Aryan during the fight and encounter him again in the castle dungeon and help him burn it down

Ah i see. Looks like i will be doing that on my last 'perfect' playthrough.

jim-jam bongs said:
It's part of the main quest line I think. Pretty sure that you can bribe him to skip it though.

Oh ok. I wont bribe him, i gotta
experience [see, rather] that wooden dildos!

DangerStepp

This description for the Chapter 2 mission, Subterranean Life, had me cracking up:

"To call Phillipa Eilhart a healer is like calling a drowner an advertiser of swimming."

The literature that accompanies each mission is so well done that I often times go to menu to see what kind of happiness it can bring me.

Also, I swear that on every woman bearing cleavage that I see a bit of areola on the left breast--just a hint.

Zeliard

Ricker said:
What the hell...I go to Roche`s HQ in Flotsam,talk with the guys there,win some arm wrestling that`s suppose to reward me with something good,have a few drinks,talk to Ves,etc etc...

Next thing I know,the game loads and I am sleeping on the harbor beach with just some trousers on,tried to find my stuff back but nothing...is this a glitch or what? reloading an older save

lol

You cannot possibly be serious. How in the world could you think that was a glitch?

jim-jam bongs said:
Roche path quest called The Way to Visions. The Visionary gives you a potion to imbibe at a particular shrine and you start hallucinating a giant chicken surrounded by giant dildos. When he wakes up, Geralt says something like "Hmm. I might keep that vision to myself."

If you tell the Visionary about it he says he suspected that his herbs had gone bad because he'd been having the same visions.

What?! I totally missed this quest. I'm gonna have to do Roche's path again? :(

Is there any way to do it with Ivoreth's path?

And yeah Seltkirk's armor is totally badass. Too bad it got overshadowed by others with better stats quickly...

Oh, and a branching a little from the Influential Games thread. What are all the influences from other games you see in Witcher 2? I've heard of the Demon's's Soul's and Arkham Asylum comparisons, but unfortunately haven't played either yet (but I hope to eventually!)

I see quite a few Uncharted 1/2 influences myself. One, the snarky banter during the team-up moments ("And what a fine ass it is!" and "YOU come down here and trap it!") is quite reminiscent of Nate and crew's banter.

Another obvious one seems to be from Resident Evil 4 (okay so that pretty much influenced everything anyway) the cutscene QTE deaths, and also the one-click traversal climbing/jumping.

Also since Nolan North is apparently in everything as everyone, does he have any role in this game at all?

Zeliard

Demon's Souls and Arkham Asylum are influences by the dev's own admission, with them saying that Demon's Souls was probably the largest. This is also, as far as I'm concerned, just plain obvious if you've played DS before.

I think they also mentioned Heavy Rain but as someone who's beaten that game, I'm not sure where they took the influence from. Everything Heavy Rain tries to do as far as characterization and dialogue scenes, Witcher 2 does much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom