• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Xenon_

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
What is this loot?
Endriaga Queen Pheromones. If you can't find it in your inventory and you have already passed chapter 1 ... well you are bound to miss one of the best steel swords in this game unless you use mods.

bluestuff

well just beat it and awe stricken

Game of the DECADE

(alright maybe a little hyperbolic) :D

I enjoyed the end quite a lot with a lot of info given out by
letho
,so I am curious as to why people were unsatisfied with there endings to the game?

Fredescu

bluestuff said:
I enjoyed the end quite a lot with a lot of info given out by
letho
,so I am curious as to why people were unsatisfied with there endings to the game?
There's a spoiler thread. It's not very active at the moment, but that might be a good spot for that line of discussion.

1stStrike

Banned
I'd say that for The Witcher 3 they are going to need to improve their patching/DLC process, setup a better patch server infrastructure, have their forums actually online when the game is released, etc. Right now, going to their website it really feels very amateur-ish. They're hard at work to get things up to snuff, and while the game itself is amazing, everything else is pretty sub-par.

1stStrike said:
I'd say that for The Witcher 3 they are going to need to improve their patching/DLC process, setup a better patch server infrastructure, have their forums actually online when the game is released, etc. Right now, going to their website it really feels very amateur-ish. They're hard at work to get things up to snuff, and while the game itself is amazing, everything else is pretty sub-par.
Comes with being a European RPG developer. If they want to be a AAA developer with the same kind of clout as Bioware they will need to improve their release support and how they are viewed by people outside the country.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
WEGGLES said:
HATED the Dragon fight. Seemed terrrrible.

My fire resist was so high at that point that it couldn't really touch me. Cakewalk if you're geared up for it.

Kyaw

Sinatar said:
My fire resist was so high at that point that it couldn't really touch me. Cakewalk if you're geared up for it.

Quen made it a cake walk for me. Plus i can only land like 2 hits so it was like...

Two hits > roll > Quen if it's expired > Two hits > roll > rinse and repeat

I hated the fight, turned it to easy to get past it faster.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
I NEED SCISSORS said:
This is what I did:

1. changed it to stereo
2. played a bit, then saved and quit
3. changed back to 5.1
4. loaded the latest save, problem was fixed

It's annoying and really random as to when it decides to fix itself.

Out of interest, where are you at? It seems to affect Chapter 1 most, the bit where you
go and meet with the officer at his house

How can i get 5.1? I can watch DVDs etc. in 5.1 on my HTPC, but Witcher 2 gives me just Stereo/ProLogic. I use the digital out of my P5Q Pro mainboard with the latest audio drivers. I am not sure if i get 5.1 from games at all, though.

Gunpriest said:
How can i get 5.1? I can watch DVDs etc. in 5.1 on my HTPC, but Witcher 2 gives me just Stereo/ProLogic. I use the digital out of my P5Q Pro mainboard with the latest audio drivers. I am not sure if i get 5.1 from games at all, though.

I do it through the HDMI port on my graphics card which goes to my surround sound receiver.

I have set up Windows to output everything in 5.1. Right click on volume button in the Windows 7 task bar > select playback devices > right click the device on your PC that handles sound > configure speakers for 5.1 surround.

Every game just automatically does 5.1 for me with these settings, i've never had to fiddle with it (except for Witcher 2 bugs...)

Enkidu

WEGGLES said:
Finished the game. Ch3 seemed rather short, unless I missed a bunch :s

HATED the Dragon fight. Seemed terrrrible.

Can't wait to do another play through, which is uncommon for me. Usually I have the best intentions and never get around to it (Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Fallout 3, New Vegas etc)
Wait, the dragon fight was supposed to be difficult? I beat it on my first try and thought the whole thing was very anticlimactic. I figured the biggest complaint about it would be about what a pushover the dragon was.

I think the biggest problem with the combat in this game (unless I am massively overlooking something), is the lack of instant recovery items. Stuff like herbs or potions that you can just go into your inventory and use to restore your health, instead of running around waiting for it to regenerate. It would make the boss battles and large hordes of enemies a lot more bearable and could make the alchemy system even more worthwhile.

Solo

Can't wait to get back to this tonight. Just a guess, but I think I might finish it tonight - I think I'm near the end of Chapter 2, and from what I've gathered, Chapter 3 is very short.

Truant

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think the biggest problem with the combat in this game (unless I am massively overlooking something), is the lack of instant recovery items. Stuff like herbs or potions that you can just go into your inventory and use to restore your health, instead of running around waiting for it to regenerate. It would make the boss battles and large hordes of enemies a lot more bearable and could make the alchemy system even more worthwhile.

Nothing of the sort. The whole point of the alchemy system is that you need to prepare for the tougher battles.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Solo said:
Can't wait to get back to this tonight. Just a guess, but I think I might finish it tonight - I think I'm near the end of Chapter 2, and from what I've gathered, Chapter 3 is very short.

I pretty much walked through Chapter 3 my first play through, but on my second, I've noticed quite a bit more quests. Sure, it's still pretty darn short, but there are a decent amount of things to do.

Ok guys, I need some help. Playing a late game boss fight, although I'm not sure how far through I am. I *think* this is Act 3.

Dick fucking motherfucking dragon fight.

Jesus what a shitty battle. I got through the first stage after a few retries , then I climbed onto the roof. My first point of call is to read my character's knowledge base on Dragons, which informs me that I should go on rooftops and take them by surprise. Great. No weaknesses! Even better. My first few tries I do standard Quen protection + try to get some swings in but failing miserably. I'm using a really good silver sword (high 30's in damage iirc) with an enhancement that boosts sign damage. I myself am a magic specialized character.

After like 6 deaths, by accident I cast Aard while it's coming at me. Woah, it knocked the dragon out of the way and did a bit of damage! Cool, so I manage to knock it out during it's swoops and got it down to 1/5 health remaining before it totally changed it's attack patterns up and started doing it's bullshit tail whip attack over and over. No matter how many Quens I cast it just keeps coming, casting Aard at it doesn't make it go away, and I can't hit it with my sword. I can't dodge it either despite trying oh so many times.

What the fuck am I supposed to do? Is there some weakness I've just overlooked? Is there a way to influence the patterns it uses so I can avoid triggering the tail whip attack? Is there an easier way to kill this fucking thing?

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Ok guys, I need some help. Playing a late game boss fight, although I'm not sure how far through I am. I *think* this is Act 3.

Dick fucking motherfucking dragon fight.

Jesus what a shitty battle. I got through the first stage after a few retries , then I climbed onto the roof. My first point of call is to read my character's knowledge base on Dragons, which informs me that I should go on rooftops and take them by surprise. Great. No weaknesses! Even better. My first few tries I do standard Quen protection + try to get some swings in but failing miserably. I'm using a really good silver sword (high 30's in damage iirc) with an enhancement that boosts sign damage. I myself am a magic specialized character.

After like 6 deaths, by accident I cast Aard while it's coming at me. Woah, it knocked the dragon out of the way and did a bit of damage! Cool, so I manage to knock it out during it's swoops and got it down to 1/5 health remaining before it totally changed it's attack patterns up and started doing it's bullshit tail whip attack over and over. No matter how many Quens I cast it just keeps coming, casting Aard at it doesn't make it go away, and I can't hit it with my sword. I can't dodge it either despite trying oh so many times.

What the fuck am I supposed to do? Is there some weakness I've just overlooked? Is there a way to influence the patterns it uses so I can avoid triggering the tail whip attack? Is there an easier way to kill this fucking thing?

- Keep Quen up all the time
- Avoid the dive by rolling left or right while looking at her
- Avoid the circling flame attack by staying as far away as you can on the platform and running in the same direction as her
- Avoid the tail whip by looking at where she is positioned and running as far from her as you can again, it's just slightly shorter than the diameter of the platform
- Try to position yourself in the middle when she pops up so that you can roll backwards if she does a long lunge or use fast attack to start a running lunge at her otherwise, get a couple of hits in quickly then roll out
- Take it slow

Once you get your pattern down it's pretty straightforward but you have to concentrate for quite a while to get through her massive health bar.

So in act 2 on Roche's Path, I need help - i think this is something (not on the main path, something in a valley / cavern with harpys.

How do I open the door / box here that says I need keys? Is this something I can do while on Roche's path? Or is this restricted as a side quest for Iorveths Path and I should give up?

ColonialRaptor said:
So in act 2 on Roche's Path, I need help - i think this is something (not on the main path, something in a valley / cavern with harpys.

How do I open the door / box here that says I need keys? Is this something I can do while on Roche's path? Or is this restricted as a side quest for Iorveths Path and I should give up?

Do you mean the cave at the bottom of the quarry? If so then I'm 99% sure you can't open it on the Roche path.

Salaadin

ColonialRaptor said:

I went thru all of Act 2 Roches path and never got a key to open that door. If there is a way, I didnt find it. I assumed it was Iorveths Path only

I'm getting a blackscreen in chapter 2 blood curse quest after completing the
ritual
. Tried everything from 1.1 patch to installing old nvidia drivers and nothing works

Would be great if someone could provide a savegame. I sided with Roche at the end of Chapter 1.

Solo

boundedseven said:
ritual
. Tried everything from 1.1 patch to installing old nvidia drivers and nothing works

Would be great if someone could provide a savegame. I sided with Roche at the end of Chapter 1.

If no one helps you within the next 8 hours, I will upload you my autosave from said event when I get home from work.

boundedseven said:
ritual

Don't know your problem specifically, but in Act 1 I hit the character button about 0.5 seconds before a cutscene started, and I got a black screen for like 5 minutes before I tried hitting escape a few times to take me out of the menu screen limbo and the cutscene loaded up properly.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Don't know your problem specifically, but in Act 1 I hit the character button about 0.5 seconds before a cutscene started, and I got a black screen for like 5 minutes before I tried hitting escape a few times to take me out of the menu screen limbo and the cutscene loaded up properly.

The black screen appears after the cutscene ends where I'm
speaking to Henselt and he asks me to meet him in his camp for a celebration

Salaadin

cleveridea said:
If I unlock talent tree to "Throw Daggers" do I have to buy them (like from stores)? Or is it like an infinite special ability?

You can buy, loot, or have them crafted. Theyre very useful too. I use daggers a ton.

Salaadin

Solo said:
I like throwing harpy claws for a ranged weapon.
Thats what I use too. I keep Superb well balanced daggers on hand as well. 2 slots for daggers and the rest for various explosives and gas bombs.

ah right, and I can only use them if I invest a point in the dagger talent? are they just useless then if I dont invest the point? if so would be a def must buy talent...

Salaadin

I kinda wish we were able to. The throwing weapons in this have a pretty short range and sometimes you see those enemies running around in the woods and you just want to pick em off from a distance.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So when are they going to patch the launcher to work with custom DPI settings?

Jenga

Banned
someone please tell me CD project is gonna get people together to do an "inspired by" album again

the music in witcher 2 is amazing. def wanna hear some covers.

especially those folks who did "believe" and "bring to the boil"

Ricker

What the hell...I go to Roche`s HQ in Flotsam,talk with the guys there,win some arm wrestling that`s suppose to reward me with something good,have a few drinks,talk to Ves,etc etc...

Next thing I know,the game loads and I am sleeping on the harbor beach with just some trousers on,tried to find my stuff back but nothing...is this a glitch or what? reloading an older save

Solo

Ricker said:
What the hell...I go to Roche`s HQ in Flotsam,talk with the guys there,win some arm wrestling that`s suppose to reward me with something good,have a few drinks,talk to Ves,etc etc...

Next thing I know,the game loads and I am sleeping on the harbor beach with just some trousers on,tried to find my stuff back but nothing...is this a glitch or what? reloading an older save

Er, its a quest.

lol

Enkidu

Ricker said:

No, it's not a glitch. It's what happens if you drink too much and decide to have some "fun." If you actually listen to the guy who comes up to talk to you you'd know where to look for your stuff.

Ricker said:

Awesome quest...your game isn't bugging out in this case

Moobabe

Just finished this and chatted to a friend about his experiences. I'm blown away by the complete contrast in our games - not just the people with you; but different areas, different outcomes etc. I was slightly disappointed with the conclusion - not so much the epilogue which did what it needed to do but the end of the game felt so sudden...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom