• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

I bet modders are already hard at work at mods that will allow you to plough Loredo's mother or Zoltan, if you please.

Zomba13

Wow... Just checked my save game folder and it's nearly 2GB.
Why weren't we given the option of overwriting saves?
And It's hard to tell what saves are the ones I want to keep. Like the ones before major choices.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zomba13 said:
And It's hard to tell what saves are the ones I want to keep. Like the ones before major choices.

Someone a while back linked a save game manager that I use to delete and backup old saves. It's really good.

Zomba13 said:
The worst part is that in the Q&A forum before release they said they had fixed the save system since the last game. Instead it's the same save system, except the individual files are half the size.

Veal

Refreshment.01 said:
Well, the point is, it was more interesting in the first game. Remember, not only a card is awarded to the player signaling the event but in some cases you got to come up with the correct bribe/present to get the fucking going. The task of "gotta fucke'em all" in The Witcher 1 presents itself as an optional and challenging enterprise in Geralt's quest.
This is true and a good point. I see that my post was too snarky for no good reason. Sorry mang.
Kyaw said:
Does a pad like Logitech Dual Action gamepad work with the game?

I'm curious as i find the dpad/left analogue placement of the 360 pad inconvenient for me.
I was able to use a Logitech F310 with no problems whatsoever! I think it has to do with the controller supporting xinput than with it being an x360 controller.

I really don't get the complaints about the save system, is having a 2GB save folder really that big of a deal? I actually love the fact that I can go back an unlimited number of saves, especially since it can take a long time to set up the necessary quests and stuff when you want to find out the result of a different decision.

jim-jam bongs said:
I really don't get the complaints about the save system, is having a 2GB save folder really that big of a deal? I actually love the fact that I can go back an unlimited number of saves, especially since it can take a long time to set up the necessary quests and stuff when you want to find out the result of a different decision.
Yeah I really like having the choice of which savegames to keep or delete. Once it started to fill up I just went through and got rid of the ones I didn't need. It meant I could label them and put them into a separate folder in case I want to jump back to that point. Being given the choice for once is nice.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
jim-jam bongs said:
Well if you have an SSD it can be a bit of a pain as it eats the space.

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah I really like having the choice of which savegames to keep or delete. Once it started to fill up I just went through and got rid of the ones I didn't need. It meant I could label them and put them into a separate folder in case I want to jump back to that point. Being given the choice for once is nice.
Yeah, in most RPGs I maintain heaps of saves manually anyway, so it's actually a time saver.

Ikuu said:
Well if you have an SSD it can be a bit of a pain as it eats the space.

I didn't think of that, good point. Maybe it should be an option then.

gdt

Just beat The Witcher 1. Hopefully they patch full gamepad support back in, don't wanna play TW2 on a keyboard. ASAP.

reptilescorpio said:
It slows down the pause menu as well..

jim-jam bongs said:
I didn't think of that, good point. Maybe it should be an option then.

After one play through I have 13GB of save files. I've never had that much space taken by save files in a game before, I can't for the life of me understand how a game can possibly need to take so much space for it's saves!?! How could they possibly need to store that much information? I just don't understand? There much be SO many variables, which makes it that much more amazing!

You know... Although I had trouble with The Witcher (first game) due to it's janky nature before and the way it played, this choice based storyline and this world... I don't think I can get enough of it so when I'm done playing through this game from every which way I might feel the need to go back and play that through - it's good to know it's still there waiting for me.

Does the first game work well with a control pad or is it strictly KB/M?

Regarding the save folder. You can also get the Witcher 2 save organizer program which allows you to see the image files, save names and pick and choose files to backup. Real convenient. Having so many saves slows down menu access for me though.

Gully State said:
It slows down the pause menu as well..
To be honest I never noticed any slowdown but I was managing my saves as I went. Those that I wanted to keep I put in a new folder, those that I wouldn't need again (like closely made autosaves) I deleted. Since each save is between 7mb and 17mb it can really add up if you don't do it at some point. They come with a little picture of the screen when it saved to make it easier to know what point it was. Save game manager is handy too.

ColonialRaptor said:
You know... Although I had trouble with The Witcher (first game) due to it's janky nature before and the way it played, this choice based storyline and this world... I don't think I can get enough of it so when I'm done playing through this game from every which way I might feel the need to go back and play that through - it's good to know it's still there waiting for me.

This makes me happy =D

ColonialRaptor said:

It's KB/M but I'm playing with Xpadder at the moment and it's pretty damned good. If you have a 360 pad for Windows, send me a PM and I'll shoot you the profile I've been using when I get home from work.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
wow. WOW. Everyone should finish this game at least twice to experience the two sides of the story. I'm actually meeting/getting to know people I casually killed on my first run. and finding out about stuff that were a mystery to me. like the flammable corpses and the square coins!. and I think I just spotted
Triss
next to the candles haha !
ColonialRaptor said:

Oh man you didn't play The Witcher ? Now you kinda ruined its plot by playing this one first. Anyway, yes you can play it with a controller. I HATED the combat with KB/M in The Witcher, but I found it rather enjoyable with a controller.

Salaadin

I cant really blame some people for not playing/not getting into TW1. It was one of the first games I played when I built my PC 2 years ago and I loved it but my 2nd playthrough a month ago was hard. Its one of those games that definitely shows its age gameplay-wise...sadly, its not even THAT old.

It still has some of the best atmosphere and "feel" though. Act 4 Fields at noon? Hardly anything like it out there.

joesmokey

I'm around the middle of Chapter 1
Killed Kayran and doing random side quests
and am having difficulty on deciding whether I should use mutagens or enhancements yet. I hate that these are permanent. I feel like as soon as I take up a slot something better will immediately come along.

Should I be holding out on using these, or just say screw it and start slotting my gear/talents?

Also, are the adrenaline mutagens worth it (5% increase, etc.)? I'm not exactly sure what that does stat/ability wise.

joesmokey said:
Should I be holding out on using these, or just say screw it and start slotting my gear/talents?

Also, are the adrenaline mutagens worth it (5% increase, etc.)? I'm not exactly sure what that does stat/ability wise.
Use any Greater ones that you get early on, there isn't a lot of variety in mutagens so as long as you aren't using Lesser ones I would say go for it. I didn't bother putting them all on until the last Chapter though so don't worry too much.

Van Buren

joesmokey said:
and am having difficulty on deciding whether I should use mutagens or enhancements yet. I hate that these are permanent. I feel like as soon as I take up a slot something better will immediately come along.

I held off on using Mutagens until I ran into a few Greater ones. There are builds out there which enable you to have 100% critical effect uptime through the use of mutagens, so they're certainly powerful if planned out right.

Ferrio said:
So where does the game actually split at?
The main and most dramatic plot split happens near the end of chapter 1 when you decide between 2 characters and their plans. Within each of those branches are a number of quest decisions that will give you more/different insight into the world and it's characters

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
joesmokey said:

That's the last talent in all three trees. But read the text of the mutagen to know if it's for the sword or the magic tree.

Exuro

cuevas said:
What's wrong with M&K? I'm going through TW1 just fine with them.
I can't stand using a gamepad with this. Having access to moving the camera and attacking at once with the mouse grants much more control than having to switch between the analog stick and buttons.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Damnit, got a BSOD during a my first run into the
mines.
Lost like 40 minutes of solid fighting and was almost at the objective :/

I was like 3 minutes from saving too but never did.

Exuro said:
I can't stand using a gamepad with this. Having access to moving the camera and attacking at once with the mouse grants much more control than having to switch between the analog stick and buttons.
The default mappings are a bit weird like that. I'd have used shoulder buttons for all attacks, signs and items. Doing that in the first game at the moment and it's tops.

Salaadin

toasty_T said:
how do i advance the 'from a bygone era quest'?

i went with roche and i've yet to go with him to meet
the king of redania

Im not 100% sure if you can do this before you meet King Radovid but look at your map for "Bras of Ban Ard" and find the shopkeeper. Hes the Bras of Ban Ard and can help you advance.

Solo

So I started my second playthough tonight (Ioverth path this time) and my god the prologue is so damn easy the second time through, when you actually know what you're doing :lol

Just got to Flotsam.

gdt

About to start this bitch. Figure I'll just play game pad with my mouse on the table in front of me for menus and stuff.

Decay24

Neo Member
The difference I've noticed about the save files between W1 and W2 is that quick saves (F5) actually overwrites itself in W2. In W1 I believe they just created another file all together.

Autosaving is a different matter all together since that creates additional files everytime it autosaves.

I do like that the game makes an official save file after you've beaten the game. Goes right to the credits when you load it. I backed those up just in case.

Solo

Square one. But damn, little things make a big difference! I killed Aryan La Valette in the prologue in my Roche run, but didn't tonight in my Iorverth run, and the escape plays out totally different.

Awesome.

Vaporak

Decay24 said:
The difference I've noticed about the save files between W1 and W2 is that quick saves (F5) actually overwrites itself in W2. In W1 I believe they just created another file all together.

Autosaving is a different matter all together since that creates additional files everytime it autosaves.

I do like that the game makes an official save file after you've beaten the game. Goes right to the credits when you load it. I backed those up just in case.

On my playthrough quicksave created new saves each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom