• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decay24

Neo Member
Vaporak said:
On my playthrough quicksave created new saves each time.

In my save folder I currently have 140 save files, 138 are auto saves, 1 is my quicksave, and 1 is an unnamed save file. The unnamed file seems to be at the end of Chapter 1.

I use the G15 logitech keyboard with the 6 macro keys so the G6 key is bound to F5 for autosaving and browser refreshing.

Salaadin

On one hand, its kinda nice having an autosave for every little thing. Makes going back to replay certain parts easier. They just take up so much room. I was shocked to see some people with 13GBs worth of saves in a single playthrough.

My save folder is 2.37GB and theyre mostly autosaves. I have a single quicksave file that always overwrites itself and maybe one or two manual saves.

Coldsnap

This game is really going to be hard to dethrone as my game of the year. Especially since Mass Effect 3 was delayed. Only thing I see is Gears of War 3 or Deaus Ex coming out of no where.

I'm pretty far into chapter two, loving the story.
I love how hours are spent researching what happened on the battlefield, like it gets super into it; then you get to play it which is awesome.

I agree about the game of the year point, apart from a few really minor issues I've found this game to be just about right on perfect as my game of the year.

I completely adore it in almost every way.

I can't wait to start going back through it again from the other side, and I'm even looking forward to just going back to a point in Chapter 2 to see what happens when I do a few things just SLIGHTLY differently from that point onwards. I love it so much I almost feel like I will keep playing and playing until I see all of the 16 endings.

inFamous 2 comes out next week and I was really enjoying inFamous until this game out and now I have absolutely no drive to finish inFamous before 2 comes out and I won't play 2 until I finish 1 but I'm not even really that excited about 2 any more, it's like I don't really even care about the other games that are coming.

I was excited about Duke and Red Faction as well but I feel kind of 'meh' about them. Even LA Noire which I spent so much time making the OT for has completely been forgotten to me lol... wow I just love this game.

I'm actually just so excited about doing the Iorveth path. I'm pretty sure that will end up being my fav path because I like Elves and Dwarves.

joesmokey said:
I've started using Yrden more, man it really makes combat easy. Yrden + Endrega Queen battles were sooo easy, haha.

It is my most used spell, it seriously is so good late in the game when your power is stronger and it lasts longer. Especially in the final battle it traps enemies for such a long time and allows you to seriously lay into them and take off such a large amount of health :D

Great spell :)

I can't decide if I want to spec Mage or Alchemy on my second run.

I think I will probably enjoy speccing magic, but there are things about Swordsman that I will miss like the extended roll (for travelling faster) and Whirl, but I suppose it just requires a different play style... you've just got to think about NOT using your sword when specced differently... I like that, but I don't, because I like using my sword :S

matmanx1

If anyone can help me out I would be very appreciative. I seem to be stuck in Chapter 2, Iorveth's Path.

Do I need to do something special to be able to talk to Phillipa again after getting the Symbol of Death? Two elves are guarding her door and won't let me inside. I have a couple of quests I can't advance until I can speak with her again. Also, what do I do with these harpy traps?

matmanx1 said:
If anyone can help me out I would be very appreciative. I seem to be stuck in Chapter 2, Iorveth's Path.

Do I need to do something special to be able to talk to Phillipa again after getting the Symbol of Death? Two elves are guarding her door and won't let me inside. I have a couple of quests I can't advance until I can speak with her again. Also, what do I do with these harpy traps?

Wrong door.

Decay24

Neo Member
matmanx1 said:

From what I remember, that isn't Phillipa's room. That was
Saskia's
I believe. Phillipa was up a set of stairs near a blacksmith. I know it's vague but that's all I can remember :(

matmanx1 said:

Wrong door I think, that's
where Saskia is, which is why the elves are guarding it.

Edit: heh.

Jinaar

Just started TW2, no issues performance wise, computer sailing smoothly.

Not really a spoiler, just an observation, King Foltest is one badass mofo. That man gets the job done.

Other then that, the game is remarkable, I cannot explain what a huge jump this is from TW1. Bow to my Polish brethren.

Jinaar said:
Not really a spoiler, just an observation, King Foltest is one badass mofo. That man gets the job done.

Yeah Foltest is one of the few noble characters in the series who doesn't totally rub me up the wrong way. Bastard still owes me 10k orens though!

matmanx1 said:

Phillipa's door is around the dwarven swordsmith. As for the harpy traps, just drop them around some generic harpies and they'll take care of the rest. You won't be able to get all of them in the same spot, though.

On a different note, this is hands down one my new favorite games. Never really got into the first one, something about it threw me off, but I'm really loving the world and story that this game is crafting. Hopefully my hardware will be a little better in the future, so I can enjoy the game with full depth of field and everything, but even on medium spec settings I'm in awe at the art direction. Just picked up The Last Wish, too!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got past the
mines
in chapter 2. Doing the investigation in the
tomb but there's walls that are made of brick
Is there something I'm supposed to have like a bomb? I already went to the outskirts of town so that eliminated that exclamation point but I already went into the other place and couldn't break down the walls.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Got past the
mines
in chapter 2. Doing the investigation in the
tomb but there's walls that are made of brick
Is there something I'm supposed to have like a bomb? I already went to the outskirts of town so that eliminated that exclamation point but I already went into the other place and couldn't break down the walls.

You have a spell that does force push and knocks down walls. Tutorial in the prologue even made you do this a few times if I recall right.

Jerk

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah Foltest is one of the few noble characters in the series who doesn't totally rub me up the wrong way. Bastard still owes me 10k orens though!

Yeah, he is a really likeable dude who seems to act pretty fairly to all that he runs into.

Really, his only flaw is all the sister-fucking and nonhuman oppression he passively allows.

I was really hoping to see his ghost or something later on.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EternalGamer said:
You have a spell that does force push and knocks down walls. Tutorial in the prologue even made you do this a few times if I recall right.
F ME I never use that damn thing. I already know which one you're talking about. Once I started using quen I pretty much ignored everything except AXII or IGNI. Thanks for reminding me!

Huzzah, 2nd playthrough down. Went with Roche this time. Despite a less interesting locale the plot development was much better than in vergen. It almost feels like a different game, tone and all.

I spent all my talent points in alchemy and holy shit at the damage i was doing at the end of the game. I downed a thunderbolt and a rook before i fought
Letho
and he went down in a light combo and a heavy back attack that did over 300 damage with beserk active. It could have been even more if i used hanged man's venom. It was really exhilirating being a complete glass cannon, without potions it was like i was back to level 6.

Finally, I like how you get a perverted sexual deviant despite which path you take. i wonder if (Roche)
Dethmold incorprates the forgotten vran sword into foreplay somehow

Jerk said:
Yeah, he is a really likeable dude who seems to act pretty fairly to all that he runs into.

Really, his only flaw is all the sister-fucking and nonhuman oppression he passively allows.

I was really hoping to see his ghost or something later on.
Loved the dual portrayal of foltest. He's a great and inspiring king but very flawed with his personal relationships.

mcrae

1. i hate how incredibly sensitive the turning is. in menus i have to drag my mouse halfway across my desk, but in combat a tiny flick of the wrist and i pull a 720. what gives?

2. my silver sword does 10-15 damage, and my steel sword does 8-10 with 8% bleed. i read that steel = humans and silver= monsters, but for now should i use silver for both?

mcrae said:
1. i hate how incredibly sensitive the turning is. in menus i have to drag my mouse halfway across my desk, but in combat a tiny flick of the wrist and i pull a 720. what gives?

2. my silver sword does 10-15 damage, and my steel sword does 8-10 with 8% bleed. i read that steel = humans and silver= monsters, but for now should i use silver for both?
No, change swords as the wrong one will just revert to minimum damage. Check out the Performance thread for details on fixing the mouse.

mcrae

reptilescorpio said:
No, change swords as the wrong one will just revert to minimum damage. Check out the Performance thread for details on fixing the mouse.

found this:
- To fix the floaty mouse cursor, change Smoothness=1 to Smoothness=0 under the mouse settings in the User.ini

and it worked perfectly. cant imagine why anyone would want smoothness on. thanks! and thanks for the sword tip. is there any general guideline to when you can/cant meditate? i tried running away from enemies (via doors) and i still couldnt meditate in the safe outdoor area :/

mcrae said:
is there any general guideline to when you can/cant meditate? i tried running away from enemies (via doors) and i still couldnt meditate in the safe outdoor area :/
You can meditate when you aren't under attack, so when there is no red around the minimap. If you see some enemies in the distance stop and drink a potion if you feel the need. Aside from a cave of nekkers in Chapter 1 I never felt overwhelmed. Best solution is to use Aard for crowd control, knock one down and focus on keeping your momentum up. You can also use Quen to block some damage. Don't forget you can use oils at ANY time, even during a fight. One of the oils does 10% extra damage or the other specific ones do 20% against certain enemy types.

Decay24

Neo Member
Oh man the game has probably crashed like 6 times in a row for me in the past 10 minutes.

Lol this is my third playthrough and I'm on Chapter 2 Roche path at the
golem fight in the hideout of the Kingslayers.
Everytime I jump down the ledge to start the fight, the game crashes to desktop.

So odd that it keeps crashing. Whenever I got down there without crashing, I'd die.

I guess the game doesn't want me to win.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on my second playthrough now, but how the fuck are you supposed to beat the renactment of The Eternal Battle on Hard? This shit is impossible. I don't recall having any difficulty on normal, but on hard, I run up in the first phase and get charged by four guys, including the massive draug enemy. If I get hit even once, I pretty much get animation locked and just die. Either that or I get knocked into the flames surrounding the battlefield and get animation locked while burning.

What the fuck?

gdt

Played for like 3-4 hours, loving it. Gorgeous game.

Haven't ploughed any wenches though, not even Triss. Just rescued Zoltan and Dandelion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, fuck this part. Really, what is with these ghosts' slow ass animations?

I'm on the second phase now, but it's bullshit that they pit you against three or four enemies at once when you're pretty much as good as dead if you get hit even once because your oh-shit-getting-hit! animation is so damn slow.

Jerk

Banned
Zefah said:

I'm on the second phase now, but it's bullshit that they pit you against three or four enemies at once when you're pretty much as good as dead if you get hit even once because your oh-shit-getting-hit! animation is so damn slow.

As I started the game on hard, I found that part a bit frustrating. High on my list of "WTF" design decisions in the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jerk said:
As I started the game on hard, I found that part a bit frustrating. High on my list of "WTF" design decisions in the game.

The ghosts were practically invulnerable on Normal and I don't recall ever getting gang-banged while your guy spazzed out in the getting hit animation.

On the first phase on Hard, if you don't charge immediately and kill at least one of the enemy soldiers while your weak ass allies are still there, the part is pretty much impossible. You just can't face four dudes at once who are all attacking at different intervals when getting hit once means your death.

I did it on Hard, you need to take your time. The characters you control hit really hard, use the target lock on and focus on one person at a time.

Otherwise switch to easy then switch back to hard when you regain control of Geralt.

Van Buren

Zefah said:

Those enemies before the boss can be pulled in groups of two on Hard difficulty. The key to defeating them on Hard is to try and get a riposte in or attack only after they miss you.

1stStrike

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
I agree about the game of the year point, apart from a few really minor issues I've found this game to be just about right on perfect as my game of the year.

I completely adore it in almost every way.

I can't wait to start going back through it again from the other side, and I'm even looking forward to just going back to a point in Chapter 2 to see what happens when I do a few things just SLIGHTLY differently from that point onwards. I love it so much I almost feel like I will keep playing and playing until I see all of the 16 endings.

inFamous 2 comes out next week and I was really enjoying inFamous until this game out and now I have absolutely no drive to finish inFamous before 2 comes out and I won't play 2 until I finish 1 but I'm not even really that excited about 2 any more, it's like I don't really even care about the other games that are coming.

I was excited about Duke and Red Faction as well but I feel kind of 'meh' about them. Even LA Noire which I spent so much time making the OT for has completely been forgotten to me lol... wow I just love this game.

I'm actually just so excited about doing the Iorveth path. I'm pretty sure that will end up being my fav path because I like Elves and Dwarves.

It is my most used spell, it seriously is so good late in the game when your power is stronger and it lasts longer. Especially in the final battle it traps enemies for such a long time and allows you to seriously lay into them and take off such a large amount of health :D

Great spell :)

I can't decide if I want to spec Mage or Alchemy on my second run.

I think I will probably enjoy speccing magic, but there are things about Swordsman that I will miss like the extended roll (for travelling faster) and Whirl, but I suppose it just requires a different play style... you've just got to think about NOT using your sword when specced differently... I like that, but I don't, because I like using my sword :S

Just an heads up, I really forced myself to finish Infamous 1 a while back and while I was never a big fan of the way it played, the ending was a "holy shit, are you serious? that's fucking crazy" moment for me. I had not spoiled myself in any way and was taken completely by surprise, so if you don't know what to expect then I'd recommend ploughing your way through it :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Van Buren said:
Those enemies before the boss can be pulled in groups of two on Hard difficulty. The key to defeating them on Hard is to try and get a riposte in or attack only after they miss you.

I got it this time. I had to cheese the second fight on Seltkirk's phase by edging forward and pulling one enemy at a time (got the two shield guys together at the end). Two is fine in that part, but three is hard as hell. Four is death. The animation for recovering from a hit just takes too long.

1stStrike said:
Just an heads up, I really forced myself to finish Infamous 1 a while back and while I was never a big fan of the way it played, the ending was a "holy shit, are you serious? that's fucking crazy" moment for me. I had not spoiled myself in any way and was taken completely by surprise, so if you don't know what to expect then I'd recommend ploughing your way through it :p

Don't worry I will finish it before I play number 2 :)

ColonialRaptor said:
I agree about the game of the year point,

It does look possible, but I seriously hope to see something better before December. TW2 is good, it's a solid 8 game, but not an instant classic, in my opinion.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ColonialRaptor said:

same here. The bar was raised, I lost interest in a lot of games.

subversus said:

I found myself so hyped about every little thing here and there, now I'm just dull hyped about all of those things.

The only things still SUPER hyping me are Deus Ex, BF3 and Skyrim...

Deus Ex I am totally sure about, BF3 as well... Skyrim, well.... if Skyrim's world can pull of Open world with the level of 'alive' that Witcher 2 has brough then it will by my GOTF FOR FUCKING SURE but if it doesn't then it will be put aside before I even get 25% through and that's danger for me because I love the Elder Scrolls and this is DRAGONS!)

subversus said:
Just starting Fable 3 and it is FABULOUS.

1stStrike said:
I get shiny object syndrome in those open world games. I've never beaten any Elder Scrolls / Oblivion games - I usually end up making some over powered character and running around killing random shit for a while and then quitting and never playing it again.
Do you find the same happens in GTA where you spend more time outside missions than in?

1stStrike

Banned
I get shiny object syndrome in those open world games. I've never beaten any Elder Scrolls / Oblivion games - I usually end up making some over powered character and running around killing random shit for a while and then quitting and never playing it again.

Meanwhile, I'm half way through my second play through on The Witcher 2 with about 40 or so hours invested so far in the game (play through 1 + play through 2 so far).

subversus

ColonialRaptor said:
I found myself so hyped about every little thing here and there, now I'm just dull hyped about all of those things.

The only things still SUPER hyping me are Deus Ex, BF3 and Skyrim...

yup, same here. Frankly speaking these three games will provide hundreds hours of fun, so I'm not even sad (except for my PS3 which gathers dust).

subversus

1stStrike said:

Hm, that's the point of Bethesda's games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom