• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Decay24 said:
Oh man the game has probably crashed like 6 times in a row for me in the past 10 minutes.

Lol this is my third playthrough and I'm on Chapter 2 Roche path at the
golem fight in the hideout of the Kingslayers.
Everytime I jump down the ledge to start the fight, the game crashes to desktop.

So odd that it keeps crashing. Whenever I got down there without crashing, I'd die.

I guess the game doesn't want me to win.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27992189&postcount=1568

Jerk said:
Yeah, he is a really likeable dude who seems to act pretty fairly to all that he runs into.

Really, his only flaw is all the sister-fucking and nonhuman oppression he passively allows.

I was really hoping to see his ghost or something later on.

To be fair, sister-fucking seems to be all the rage with these royal dynasties.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished it on roche path just then, can't really say much that hasn't already been said GOTY 2011 for sure, surprisingly i had no qualms with the last chapter and the length of it all, it felt very appropriate for the storyline couldn't imagine it taking any longer honestly, and they were a lot of decisions that I'm interested in seeing play out on a second play-through.

The ending did leave a lot of plot-lines left unresolved for the sequel, really felt like the middle-portion of a grand story, can't wait to see what directions they take for the third game.

Game was a lot shorter then i expected, by my calculations it took me around 26 to 30 hours to finish this, almost half the length of the witcher which took me around 50 to 60 hours, considering the game is suppose to diverge a lot in chapter 2 depending on one of the decisions, I'm guessing it has as much unique content as the original game though.

But yeah first game in a while that lived up to my high expectations, really can't wait to give it a second play through sometime down the line!

Aeana

This game is too pretty. I've just been wandering around Vegren taking in the sights. Beautiful.

The story on Iorveth's path got pretty interesting pretty quickly, too, so that's a plus.

Solo

Gully State said:
Loved the dual portrayal of foltest. He's a great and inspiring king but very flawed with his personal relationships.

Foltest is fucking awesome. I mean, a king who fires ballistas himself? Who does that?

Kyaw

Solo said:
Foltest is fucking awesome. I mean, a king who fires ballistas himself? Who does that?

I know right?

Foltest: What the fuck do we want?

Soldiers: VICTORY!

Foltest: THIS I LIKE!

Shame..
he died.

All the kings are a regular bunch of whoresons (end Roche spoiler)
I felt really guilty handing Anais over to Radovid who was practically the last remaining Nothern monarch. I'm sure he had a hand in the boys death. Seeing Roche in Redanian colors the epilogue was a sad site.

Thinking about it, I'd really like to see an expansion or side story where Geralt is in on the Lodge's conspiracy.

Solo

I wonder why CDPR chose to have the color palette so washed out during the Roche interrogation scene in the prologue. Everything has this brownish hue to it.

If you do
he defects so he can watch over her

I like how in this game everyone seems to have very sensible motivations. It's actually pretty surprising.

Solo said:
I wonder why CDPR chose to have the color palette so washed out during the Roche interrogation scene in the prologue. Everything has this brownish hue to it.
Just like choosing a filter when doing a movie. Makes it gritty and dreary and stuff. Makes you feel like they are in an underground dungeon where Geralt has been tortured and shit. Drains the hope out of the scene.

Kyaw

toasty_T said:
If you do
he defects so he can watch over her

I like how in this game everyone seems to have very sensible motivations. It's actually pretty surprising.

That's what makes this game so good.

Coldsnap said:
This game is really going to be hard to dethrone as my game of the year. Especially since Mass Effect 3 was delayed. Only thing I see is Gears of War 3 or Deaus Ex coming out of no where.
Those games don't stand a chance. The only worthy opponent is SkyRim, Bethesda is gonna hit it out of the park with this one, just hope is not a super bug ridden game.
Jinaar said:
Just started TW2, no issues performance wise, computer sailing smoothly.
What the fuck are you doing here? Seriously get out! and see you in the next 30 game hours.
Zefah said:
Yeah, fuck this part. Really, what is with these ghosts' slow ass animations?
I'm on the second phase now, but it's bullshit that they pit you against three or four enemies at once when you're pretty much as good as dead if you get hit even once because your oh-shit-getting-hit! animation is so damn slow.
You are supposed to
use counter/reposte, target the enemy hold block and wait for the icon to flash
. Take small steps close to the ghosts so you can lure 1 or 2 at a time. Is not that hard really. I most admit i kind of had the same problems as you guys the first time but i started the game on hard difficulty since my first playthrough.
ColonialRaptor said:
if Skyrim's world can pull of Open world with the level of 'alive' that Witcher 2 has brough then it will by my GOTF FOR FUCKING SURE
They managed that with FallOut so things look good for SkyRim.
Veal said:
This is true and a good point. I see that my post was too snarky for no good reason. Sorry mang.
No problems at all. If you remember my user name, try to give me the benefit of the doubt in the future, i give good thought to the gameplay side of things when making sugestions.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just wandering around the first chapter doing sidequests... liking the game so far (it looks fantastic and has fixed a lot of issues I had with the first game) but the storyline, nor the game, hasn't 'grabbed' me yet. I think that's just because I've been real busy lately, have a few other games I'm about 75% of the way through, and the weather is too nice out to be cooped up inside gaming. Some random thoughts:

-I run it at 1280x720 high, and it still looks fantastic. 1920x1080 high chugs my computer too much.
-The combat is a LOT more difficult than the first game. The fight in the courtyard I died like 10 times before bringing the difficulty down to Easy.
-I really wish there was a mob-control style attack like the first game (there might be one but I haven't gotten it yet)...
-You pretty much need to have played the first game to have any idea wtf is going on with the story and the world.
-I started with my savegame from the original game, but I haven't really noticed any effect of doing this. In the first game, I basically told Triss to fuck off and hooked up with Shani, but here in the beginning I start the game with Triss nakey in the camp.
-My biggest complaint: The movement is still a bit sluggish. It feels almost "grid-based", and it's easy to get stuck on the environment. Wish they made the movement a bit smoother.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
Those games don't stand a chance. The only worthy opponent is SkyRim, Bethesda is gonna hit it out of the park with this one, just hope is not a super bug ridden game.

They managed that with FallOut so things look good for SkyRim.

Agreed on both points. I just hope that the PC version of Skyrim gets a good amount of attention. Its amazing what the modders did with Oblivion and itd be nice if Skyrim can be that good at launch. I mean, it already looks good but PC can do so much more and I hope they take advantage of that.

Im using Axii a lot more on my 2nd playthrough and am finding that its an extremely useful spell. How did I pass this up my first time? It saved my ass far too many times.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I decided to help Roche in the forest in chapter 1 after the ambush, rather than giving Iorveth a sword. I'm sure that's going to have consequences in the future, i just hope i took the right decision to get the more interesting story.

iNvid02

Bisnic said:
I decided to help Roche in the forest in chapter 1 after the ambush, rather than giving Iorveth a sword. I'm sure that's going to have consequences in the future, i just hope i took the right decision to get the more interesting story.

i did the opposite, im somewhere in chapter 2 and really enjoying it now. looks amazing as usual

Salaadin said:
I cant really blame some people for not playing/not getting into TW1. It was one of the first games I played when I built my PC 2 years ago and I loved it but my 2nd playthrough a month ago was hard. Its one of those games that definitely shows its age gameplay-wise...sadly, its not even THAT old.

It still has some of the best atmosphere and "feel" though. Act 4 Fields at noon? Hardly anything like it out there.
I think for people that got first into Witcher 2 and got hooked should definitly try part 1. I can see it being a hard pill to swallow for the first hours but it ends off holding quite well.

Act 4, is the systers quest right? For me there's nothing quiet like it in Witcher 2. Its interesting that you bring up the atmosphere and feel of the world. It might not be a popular opinion but i think Witcher 1 has better "atmosphere", i like ambient and level design more than in part 2. Levels are more open and seem bigger. CDprojekt new streaming system to minize load times has had some impact in how they designed the levels, lots more or control chocke points like corridors to mask loading. Towns feel more unique, alive and varied in the first game also. The use of more subbdued colors help to stablish the feel a lot better to me, part 2 is very colorful in comparison.
Salaadin said:
Agreed on both points. I just hope that the PC version of Skyrim gets a good amount of attention. Its amazing what the modders did with Oblivion and itd be nice if Skyrim can be that good at launch. I mean, it already looks good but PC can do so much more and I hope they take advantage of that.
Let's hope. Right now, i think Bethesda softworks its one of the few companies that has all the right tools to make the defenitive "best game of all time" or whatever that implies :D

Kyaw

Oh, i have a question regarding a quest in Chapter 2 Roche's path.

Who is this Odrin dude that all these drunk soldiers are calling out for?

I completely missed the quest and failed it i think.

gdt

Does anyone else have this weird bug? Basically, I imported stuff from TW1 (Raven's Armor), but in this game, sometimes when a cutscene comes up, Geralt switches to that hood armor from the DLC. I just have to switch it back. No biggie, but still.

Kyaw said:
Oh, i have a question regarding a quest in Chapter 2 Roche's path.

Who is this Odrin dude that all these drunk soldiers are calling out for?

I completely missed the quest and failed it i think.
It has to do with the
conspiracy questline. You can find Odrin if you leave the camp from the southern exit. Once you round up him and his drunken friends you can discover through a careful line of questioning that they're plotting against Henselt

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
I think for people that got first into Witcher 2 and got hooked should definitly try part 1. I can see it being a hard pill to swallow for the first hours but it ends off holding quite well.
The Witcher 1 is easily worth the 10 bucks it costs these days. Id say for that price, anyone interested should at least give it a shot. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes but I still love the hell out of it.

Refreshment.01 said:
Act 4, is the systers quest right? For me there's nothing quiet like it in Witcher 2.
Yep. That was a great quest too. So many different elements to it and different things you had to learn to complete it.

Refreshment.01 said:
Its interesting that you bring up the atmosphere and feel of the world. It might not be a popular opinion but i thing Witcher 1 has better "atmosphere", i like ambient and level design more than in part 2. Levels are more open and seem bigger. CDprojekt new streaming system to minize load times has had some impact in how they designed the levels, lots more or control chocke points like corridors to mask loading. Towns feel more unique, alive and varied also.

Yeah. The Witcher 2s areas feel similar to The Witcher 1, Act 1. Small town and its outlying areas with a few key NPCs and a notice board for quests.
One problem with the first game, though, is that Act 2 and Act 3 take place in the same areas. You branch off into more of the city in Act 3 but youre still running around the same sewers and swamps. That was a big complaint and Im thinking thats one of the reasons CDPR decided to go with prologue + 3 acts with different areas and sights to see in each. It never feels repeating like it did in The Witcher 1.

I do wish some of The Witcher 2 areas were larger and more open. I wonder why they didnt allow for more openness in the forests and such. Act 2 Kaedwen Camp and a lot of its outer areas are pretty open without a lot of choke points until you head into the forests and it loads/streams just fine.

Refreshment.01 said:
Let's hope. Right now, i think Bethesda softworks its one of the few companies that has all the right tools to make the defenitive "best game of all time" or whatever that implies :D
Well, it sounds like theyre learning a lot from Oblivion so theres a great chance that theyll succeed. Im just glad we dont have bright orange ape like NPCs anymore! :p

Kyaw

toasty_T said:
It has to do with the
conspiracy questline. You can find Odrin if you leave the camp from the southern exit. Once you round up him and his drunken friends you can discover through a careful line of questioning that they're plotting against Henselt

Is it the same as
going through the Whistling Wendy route at the whorehouse and finding out that Dandelion played a part in the conspiracy as well?

Van Buren

Finally done with my Iorveth playthrough (both endings), and it was incredibly satisfying to have an alternate perspective on the story and events. This is one of the few games outside the Obsidian/Troika/Black Isle games to have done choices and consequences right.

As it stands, I can't see any competition for GOTY, let alone RPG of the year.

Kyaw said:
Is it the same as
going through the Whistling Wendy route at the whorehouse and finding out that Dandelion played a part in the conspiracy as well?
Yeah,
I'm not sure if they react differently because I went the other way then did the Odrin quest. Maybe you need to go down that path to figure out the head of the plotters but that's just me speculating.

Solo

Bisnic said:

That particular choice doesn't, but you're about to make the big choice that does.

Van Buren said:
As it stands, I can't see any competition for GOTY, let alone RPG of the year.

Fo sho'

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
zaidr said:
Should I play Witcher 2 without playing Witcher 1? Would I be missing out on a lot of the story?

Please play TW1 first. You'll miss a huge part of the story. It's fundamental if you want to be engaged in TW2.

look at it this way, by the time you start TW2, lots of bugs will be fixed.

gdt

Daaaamn. I wanted to play for half an hour max (got a few errands to run before work), but I ended up playing an hour and a half. Sucked me right in. Most of it was walking around Flotsam talking to people. Saved just before I go see the ship wreck.

Ploughed a whore.

BUT WHEN DO I BANG TRISS.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
gdt5016 said:
Daaaamn. I wanted to play for half an hour max (got a few errands to run before work), but I ended up playing an hour and a half. Sucked me right in. Most of it was walking around Flotsam talking to people. Saved just before I go see the ship wreck.

Plough a whore.

Oh trust me, you'll know.

I am well on Act 1 of the first Witcher and the game is tiny in terms of environments...really 20 hours into FFXII and I had traveresed 20 or more diverse environments...the game obviously had quite a limited budget. Not very epic in that regard.

I seriously hope the second has alot more diversity, from what I have seen from trailers it seems to be so.

At least I am enjoying the first game somewhat more after finishing the tedious second Act. The game definitely has some pluses, but it is by no means great.

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:

Ploughed a whore.

Glad youre finally playing. Was it worth the hassle?

Solo said:
Rose of Remembrance
Im going from a bang/plough free run. Passed that part already, so can we say im Triss sweat free?
Solo said:
Act 1 is the best in the game. If you aren't digging it, you are already dead.
You are mistaken, hes talking about Witcher 1, act 1 is the least interesting. Oppossite case of Witcher 2, in which chapter 1 is probably the more interesting. The best is about to come, so keep playing NelsonRoyale.
Solo said:
If you didn't bang her in that quest, you won't plough her at all.
YESSSSSSSSS!

Any chances with that foxy
Loreto's MonDad, Geralt is all for MILF

Solo

Refreshment.01 said:
Im going from a bang/plough free run. Passed that part already, so can we say im Triss sweat free?

If you didn't bang her in that quest, you won't plough her at all.

Salaadin

Act 1 was the weakest in The Witcher 1. The game really picks up in Act 2. The only thing that bogs down Act 2 and 3 are the repeating areas.

Yurt said:
Was the investigation in Act 2 ? I loved that chapter the most.
I believe so

Solo

Oh wait, he's talking about the first game? Ooops! To clarify/amend my statement, Chapter 1 of The Witcher 2 is the best part of the game.

Solo said:
Oh wait, he's talking about the first game? Ooops! To clarify/amend my statement, Chapter 1 of The Witcher 2 is the best part of the game.

Yeah, it looks amazing from the little I have seen. Act 1 in the Witcher 1 is pretty boring. I am playing it with my old laptop (new one not in my hands yet) and it has the worst loading in recent memory.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, it looks amazing from the little I have seen. Act 1 in the Witcher 1 is pretty boring. I am playing it with my old laptop (new one not in my hands yet) and it has the worst loading in recent memory.

Wait, you're not playing the Enhanced Edition ?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I need help with the first boss:

I've knocked the bridge onto him, to the point where he's chucking a rock at me every second. I hide behind the large stone ruin to avoid the rocks, but have no idea what to do now.

FlyinJ said:
I need help with the first boss:

I've knocked the bridge onto him, to the point where he's chucking a rock at me every second. I hide behind the large stone ruin to avoid the rocks, but have no idea what to do now.
part of the bridge that's collapsed forms a ramp, run up it.

Solo

I'm only starting my Iorveth run and just reached Flotsam, but the Roche pathe Chapter 2 was awesome and even still I thought Chapter 1 was the best. I have a hard time seeing Ioverth Chapter 2 besting it. Flotsam and its forests alone were flat out more exciting and interesting to explore than the military camp or Vergen were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom