• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

toasty_T said:
is it just me or do the controls become completely unresponsive at times during combat? it isnt momenary, i get locked out of everything but run.

i started noticing this towards the end of chapter 2. not sure whether to blame my keyboard (its wireless)

Did it happen after you throw some bombs? 99% of the time it happened to me after spamming bombs while moving around.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Swordplay is clearly designed around fighting one opponent at a time, with everything else (bombs, traps, signs) designed around mitigating the difficulty of dealing with mobs. On one hand it can be frustratingly challenging when you're dealing with large groups of enemies using your sword

Do you remember the part in the beginning of chapter 3, where you either go to the sewers or fight a certain group of people ? I'm playing on normal and had both the last talent in sword and magic at that time. I managed to get two levels fighting them and NOT dying.I eventually realized that they'll keep respawning forever so I left the camp and went to the sewers. So I don't know how the combat is not designed for large groups of enemies, I think I was fighting millions at one point.

I have a save of an almost cleared camp if you want to see my talent/gear/potions used.

edit1 Ok so you meant using swords ? Magic definitely helped me there! anyway try the "hit multiple foes" talent, it'll make you almost invincible. :p

edit2 Oh VisanidethDM is here :D please don't troll DA:O :(

Xtyle

Confidence Man said:
Some random thoughts, mostly complaints (after one and 3/4 playtroughs):

Skill trees are poorly designed. The trees aren't really "trees"; skills are sort of haphazardly organized in a path-like structure converging on certain, seemingly random skills forcing you to take them whether you want them or not to proceed. Why not have a branch for oils and oil related skills in the Alchemy tree for example, instead of forcing you to take Specialization: Oils (directly after forcing you to take Harvesting, I might add.) Some of the skills don't seem logically placed either, e.g. skills like upgraded dodge rolling or reduced backstab damage are virtually must-haves and don't make sense as swordsman-specific abilities (whereas something like arrow deflection seems like it would fit better.)

I can see where that's from but I wouldn't say +dodge or -dmg from back stab, etc, are mandatory and base talent. I actually didn't take either of those until middle of chapter 3, same for Quen II and Quen III. I played fine without them.

bigben85 said:
Did it happen after you throw some bombs? 99% of the time it happened to me after spamming bombs while moving around.
yeah, it has something to do with bombs. usually if im circling and throwing off a few.

about to finish this alchemy run, next is swordsman. mage was a joke from chapter 2 onwards. alchemy is a really nice challenge especially with default quen, roll and back damage.

Haint

Mercutio said:
I'm seeing people bring Demon's Souls into this, and I don't think that Witcher 2's combat even remotely touches Demon's Souls. I think that it should certainly aspire to be like Demon's Souls, but for whatever reason it simply cannot.

Here's my reasoning:

When I died in Demon's Souls, it was my fault. Every time. I beat the game, I got through, I beat it a few more times and I was much better AT the game as time went by. I actually became skilled at the fighting system.

When I die in the Witcher 2, it's often not my fault. Something didn't work, or I wasn't perfectly stationary when I tried to block, or I couldn't get the sword out in time, I suddenly had the wrong guy targeted, or Geralt for no good reason took a leaping jump sword out-stretched into freaking nothing behind him.

Yep, this (and animations) are the only two gripes I can come up with for the game. The combat system is glitchy unresponsive garbage compared to something like Demon's Soul. The magic and trap systems are good (much better than most games of this ilk), but they really should have worked on perfecting the base controls and melee systems.

Solo said:
I hope there are some fresh wenches to plough on the Ioverth path.
Now that you mention ploughwing. Why didn't they try to add some dimention to fucking in this game? At least in 1 you collected cards.

CdProjekt should have added some insentive or risk vs reward to the ploughwing. Don't know make it a harder mini game of QTE (very GoW i know) and if you do it right get an item. Or give experience to the player but with potential status effects, like illnes. But at least track a list of the women the Witcher banged and a little coment of the experience by Dandelion.

Now, that i think about. Imaging making a bet or something with Dandelion about how many women the Witcher can plough and get a reward or something.

The way it is now, too shallow and meaningless.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VisanidethDM said:
Don't misunderstand, I think 2W2 is honestly crap, but I remember Dennis saying "Game of the Forever". It looked nice tho on a good rig, and he's very fond of that.

I've only played 4 hours of it so far, but I have to agree. It was pretty to look at, but not very fun at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
by the way I didn't know that you start playing almost naked in Prologue if you don't import a save. Now I know why people found the game too hard. I had my uberarmor on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VisanidethDM said:
It's not like the current implementation isn't.

I don't see the problem, the whores gotta make a living somehow. Geralt is probably supporting single parent families with his patronage.

Dennis

Banned
Fuck the many haters in here, Two Worlds II is a fantastic game. The Witcher 2 will have to be great indeed for it to beat out Two Worlds II in my regard.

Solo

The Witcher 2 isn't open world Dennis, so Two World II is better by default amirite?

:p

For the record, I love ya man but I think that viewpoint of your is batshit insane. Finely tuned linear experience >>> pointless roaming and generic quests in an open world.

Snuggler said:
I don't see the problem, the whores gotta make a living somehow. Geralt is probably supporting single families with his patronage.

Geralt of Rivia: patron saint of the working class

Veal said:
I thought that was kinda the point? Yay you fucked some wench! I guess you wanted a cookie or something.
Well, the point is, it was more interesting in the first game. Remember, not only a card is awarded to the player signaling the event but in some cases you got to come up with the correct bribe/present to get the fucking going. The task of "gotta fucke'em all" in The Witcher 1 presents itself as an optional and challenging enterprise in Geralt's quest.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like June 2nd we get a bunch of CDP:Red info again, GOG's new publisher, and:

CD Projekt RED will also be making a big announcement about their next upcoming title, and will also have some other exciting things to share during their livecast. CDP RED will discuss some of the successes of the recent launch of The Witcher 2, and will also map out a plan for continued support for the new title.

Should be interesting to hear about the game's sales and see what the next title/future plans are. Hopefully whatever it is, it looks just as great.

DennisK4 said:
Fuck the many haters in here, Two Worlds II is a fantastic game. The Witcher 2 will have to be great indeed for it to beat out Two Worlds II in my regard.

I haven't played Two Worlds II yet, but aren't they totally different things? The Witcher 2 is a somewhat/very linear, scripted, beautiful looking RPG with true plot branching, and Two Worlds II is more of an open world type game?

Salaadin

Minsc said:
Looks like June 2nd we get a bunch of CDP:Red info again, GOG's new publisher, and:

Should be interesting to hear about the game's sales and see what the next title/future plans are. Hopefully whatever it is, it looks just as great.

DLC + expansions would be awesome. Im curious to see how theyll handle future DLC...will they be mid chapter notice board quests like Troll Trouble or something along the lines of those side missions in The Witcher 1? We do have an "Extras" section on the main menu so maybe theyll tack it in there.

I just hope they do more than basic one and done DLC missions. Id kill for an after story expansion similar to what Bioware did with Dragon Age: Awakening...15+ hours long, new story elements, new skills, new locations, etc.

Keikoku

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Joke post ? The Witcher 2 beat the crap out of Two Worlds II even before it was released.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ok can someone help me here?

I got a pre-order bonus code from Amazon but in the registration tab it says "invalid code" ?!

And next one is a biggie... Why is there only german audio (bought it from amazon.de)? I thought you could choose the language to your personal liking?

Also there is no "Troll Trouble" in the DLC tab.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Before i started playing this game, i barely ever heard the word "plough".

Now i hear it everywhere in this game. Is it just an old word for "fucking" or what?

Mdk7

I beat it a couple of days ago.
It's definitely a good game, but nowhere near the masterpiece lots of people claim it is.
Up till act 2 is AMAZING, and then after that is gets worse and worse.
The end is probably the shittiest epilogue of the decade, or maybe even more than that.

Overall i'd rate it 7.5-8/10.

Kyaw

Does a pad like Logitech Dual Action gamepad work with the game?

I'm curious as i find the dpad/left analogue placement of the 360 pad inconvenient for me.

Salaadin

subversus

Des0lar said:
Ok can someone help me here?

I got a pre-order bonus code from Amazon but in the registration tab it says "invalid code" ?!

And next one is a biggie... Why is there only german audio (bought it from amazon.de)? I thought you could choose the language to your personal liking?

Also there is no "Troll Trouble" in the DLC tab.

Download the latest patch. If you want English and some other pack except Polish there are some places on the web where you can obtaing. Google will help you.

Kyaw

Salaadin said:
I read that its 360 pad only but there are some workarounds talked about here:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/only_xbox360_gamepad

This dude occasionally puts up files to get Logitech controllers working in 360 pad games, TW2 isnt up yet though:
http://rumblepad2.blogspot.com/

bookmarked! Thank you sir.

I was just asking a general question, didn't want to play TW2 with the pad, i do however want to play Conviction with a pad and do some flying in BC2/BF3 when it comes out.

Atrus

Gold Member
Anyone else having 'load game' issues with the game? For whatever reason I can't reload my saves to keep playing but it will let me start a new game from scratch.

Does this have anything to do with the recent patch?

subversus

Ok, I have 8 zerrican suns, 2 grapeshots, 8 robust well-balanced daggers, 11 well-balanced daggers,
Kayran
armor with all slots filled, a sword with 74 bleeding, brown oil (30 bleeding), two potions - 70% of damage resistance combined + 50 vitality + 2 regeneration in combat.

Letho
, you'll go down fast.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
subversus said:
Download the latest patch. If you want English and some other pack except Polish there are some places on the web where you can obtaing. Google will help you.

I googled for ages, but didn't find anything...

Latest patch is already installed. :(

matmanx1

So the Trolls in this game are fantastic. They look incredible and are menacing and repugnant while simultaneously being comedic and homely. I'm only a ways into Chapter 2 so far but they are definitely my favorite "monster" design yet.

Salaadin

Kyaw said:
bookmarked! Thank you sir.

I was just asking a general question, didn't want to play TW2 with the pad, i do however want to play Conviction with a pad and do some flying in BC2/BF3 when it comes out.
I prefer the Logitech Rumblepad 2 over the 360 pad but it looks like the 360 pad is the go to controller for a lot of games these days. I had to buy one because it seemed like every game I wanted to play was 360 pad only. Sucks :(

Kyaw

How hard can it be really to support the Logitech controllers? It has the same amount of buttons, just a different layout... :(

subversus

Des0lar said:
I googled for ages, but didn't find anything...

Latest patch is already installed. :(

so, you have a german retail version? Have you applied the right patch? (I didn't and didn't have the DLC until I patched it with native gog patch). Troll DLC was in the latest patch, so you have it already, it should be installed.

As for the language pack you should use some other sites if google failed you. Also the game offers to download English and Polish in the launcher as far as I know.

I can share English, French, Spanish, Polish packs if you dropbox me. 2GB is free on dropbox, these files are like 1 GB each and subs are 4 kb.

Belfast

toasty_T said:
is it just me or do the controls become completely unresponsive at times during combat? it isnt momenary, i get locked out of everything but run.

i started noticing this towards the end of chapter 2. not sure whether to blame my keyboard (its wireless)

Though it can be frustrating, I think it's part of the battle system. Geralt, even with his enhanced powers, isn't Bayonetta or Dante. You can't cancel out of shit and rocket around the battlefield without consequences. I think CDP wanted players to carefully consider their actions or otherwise they are leaving themselves completely open.

I'm not saying that they completely succeeded in pulling this off, but I think that's what they were going for and it's the reason why you can't just roll rings around the enemies.

subversus

Belfast said:
T

I'm not saying that they completely succeeded in pulling this off, but I think that's what they were going for and it's the reason why you can't just roll rings around the enemies.

but I can.

I can't block as good as I can roll and that's strange.

1stStrike

Banned
The bosses in this game are mostly trivialized by alchemy in my experience. The first and second chapter bosses I just spammed bombs on and they dropped like a rock with little to no effort on my end. Didn't even try to use magic or beat on shit with my sword this time around.

With
Letho
if you just spam bombs in the beginning he'll never get to cast any spells or do anything except stand there and die while you chain bomb him. It might be different on insane, but that's my experience on the other difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom