• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FlyinJ said:
I need help with the first boss:

I've knocked the bridge onto him, to the point where he's chucking a rock at me every second. I hide behind the large stone ruin to avoid the rocks, but have no idea what to do now.

That part killed me a couple of times before I figured out what to do.
Once you jump off the tentacle, cast Quen and stand in place while you wait for a large chunk of the bridge to fall down and form a ramp. Run up that and a cutscene will trigger.

Fuck those boulders, though.

Xtyle

nelsonroyale said:
I am well on Act 1 of the first Witcher and the game is tiny in terms of environments...really 20 hours into FFXII and I had traveresed 20 or more diverse environments...the game obviously had quite a limited budget. Not very epic in that regard.

I seriously hope the second has alot more diversity, from what I have seen from trailers it seems to be so.

At least I am enjoying the first game somewhat more after finishing the tedious second Act. The game definitely has some pluses, but it is by no means great.

I totally disagree
TW2 has all those areas that are outside of the town that you do your quests and sewers and catacombs, etc. Though they all have a similiar color palette and theme and feel connected. Something like FF series is a totally different game design mentality than western PC RPGS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Decay24 said:
Iorveth Chapter 2 of the witcher 2 is by far my favorite Chapter of the whole game.

I went with Iorveth on my first run through the game, but I think I prefer Roche's version. Obviously, Vergen is a much cooler location than the Kaedweni military camp, but I'm finding the story to be a hell of a lot more interesting (not that it wasn't interesting with Iorveth).

I just made it to chapter 3, and I like how different it is when you're with Roche. Such an awesome game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Solo said:
I'm only starting my Iorveth run and just reached Flotsam, but the Roche pathe Chapter 2 was awesome and even still I thought Chapter 1 was the best. I have a hard time seeing Ioverth Chapter 2 besting it. Flotsam and its forests alone were flat out more exciting and interesting to explore than the military camp or Vergen were.

On Roche's path you only explored 20% of Vergen. I didn't like the military camp at all. Some late quests saved it though.

No, unfortunately playing the original

You're welcome then ;p EE is for free with a better script, combat and faster loading.

Since we are talking about the Kayran. Was trying to defeat it in a different way than i did the first time. So i made
the Kayran trap. Its really cool 1 hit tentacle kill, but i just had one since i got only 1 steel frame. Can you kill it using just Kayran traps?

If not was the point them? It might end up being confusing for some players in the first run since Sile doesn't shout the hint when using the device.

Kyaw

I actually haven't tried that. But i doubt it
since you need the Kayran to start hitting the bridge and that bridge needs to fall down on the creature.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
Since we are talking about the Kayran. Was trying to defeat it in a different way than i did the first time. So i made
the Kayran trap. Its really cool 1 hit tentacle kill, but i just had one since i got only 1 steel frame. Can you kill it using just Kayran traps?

If not was the point them? It might end up being confusing for some players in the first run since Sile doesn't shout the hint when using the device.

Theres a Kayran trap? I knew of the Ostmurk potion for +2000% poison resist but dont remember anything about the trap. Damn, another thing I missed.

1stStrike

Banned
Salaadin said:
Theres a Kayran trap? I knew of the Ostmurk potion for +2000% poison resist but dont remember anything about the trap. Damn, another thing I missed.

You had to sneak in the back of Loredo's mansion to get the iron frame and then the trap schematic was bought from Cedric. Aside from the iron frame, which can only be gotten in that one part of the game, the other ingredients were all pretty common.

scy

Ferrio said:
Really wish you could kill random npcs. I wanna murder these guys yelling odrin.

Every time I go the Roche path from now on, I'm doing that quest first just to shut them up. It was alright the first time to hear them shouting but gods do they never shut the fuck up. If you don't know where he is,
he's basically right outside the city through the gate to the left of the main entrance.

Salaadin

1stStrike said:
You had to sneak in the back of Loredo's mansion to get the iron frame and then the trap schematic was bought from Cedric. Aside from the iron frame, which can only be gotten in that one part of the game, the other ingredients were all pretty common.

Ill have to try that this time. Thank you sir

Solo said:
OOOOOOOOOOODRIN, WHERE ARE YOU BOY?
Oh god....

Kyaw said:
I actually haven't tried that. But i doubt it
since you need the Kayran to start hitting the bridge and that bridge needs to fall down on the creature.
No i meant just taking out the tentacles
with multiple Kairan traps, the other part would play as always
Really don't understand why the devs designed the quest that way. Really weird.
Salaadin said:
Damn, another thing I missed.
That's ok, now please tell me you have opted to
agree with Loreto to fix the tournament fight... please tell me you did
one, in my opinion, very memorable moment happens that way.
Ferrio said:
Really wish you could kill random npcs. I wanna murder these guys yelling odrin.
That's way i keep saying Witcher 2 doesn't make the first game obsolete. There's a couple of things the first game does better than this one, or at least some little touches like that.
Salaadin said:
I did not. Thatll be another thing to do for this playthrough.
Well, i hope you weren't palning to do it this time around, because i might have messed up with your spectations. Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts if you remember later.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
agree with Loreto to fix the tournament fight, please tell me so

I did not. Thatll be another thing to do for this playthrough.

So I can sorta understand the reviewers complaining about the story feeling disjointed as some things don't make sense playing if played out of order. I originally thought they were only complaining about the prologue but in Act 2,
I did the butcher quest right after talking to the king before having a chat with glyvisk or whatever his name and Dethmold and fought the guy wearing seltkirk's armor. Geralt immediately recognized him in the pre fight dialogue so I thought I must've not paid attention to something since I had no idea who he was. About an hour after the fight, I decided to go back and talk to Glyvisk and Dethmold which introduced Svenson.

Salaadin

Gully State said:
So I can sorta understand the reviewers complaining about the story feeling disjointed as some things don't make sense playing if played out of order. I originally thought they were only complaining about the prologue but in Act 2,
I did the butcher quest right after talking to the king before having a chat with glyvisk or whatever his name and Dethmold and fought the guy wearing seltkirk's armor. Geralt immediately recognized him in the pre fight dialogue so I thought I must've not paid attention to something since I had no idea who he was. About an hour after the fight, I decided to go back and talk to Glyvisk and Dethmold which introduced Svenson.

Happened to me as well. There are also instances where you can still question NPCs about events that you already know the answer to and quests that you already finished

Salaadin

Pankaks said:
That only happens when you try to interact with that guy.

Those god damn soldiers never shut up about their stupid drinking buddy.

I never actually found him either.

Some people never found him?
Theres this exit on the far end of camp. Did you get the Little Sisters quest about the solider that shits himself when he is sitting on the beach? The door is right near him.

Odrin is literally right around the corner out there. Right before the large Rottfiend cave.

scy

Refreshment.01 said:
agree with Loreto to fix the tournament fight... please tell me you did

Wait, something happens? Damn it. I reloaded my save immediately after since
you get a "Quest Failed" message for going this route.

scy said:
Wait, something happens? Damn it. I reloaded my save immediately after since
you get a "Quest Failed" message for going this route.
Just hope i haven't hype the damn thing to the point of needing to fullfil unreachable spectations. It's not a piece of heaven really, in restrospect is not that cool even...or is it? :D

Quest failed in that case was sort of a relative term. Btw, when you do the quest properly, what's the reward? I seriously can't remenber.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
Just hope i haven't hype the damn thing to the point of needing to fullfil unreachable spectations. It's not a piece of heaven really, in restrospect is not that cool even...or is it? :D

Its too late now.

Thanks to you, I will be
rigging that tournament
and experiencing a sequence of events that the world of videogames has never seen before.

scy

DennisK4 said:
Can the game be played with the 360 controller and if so how is it?

Yes and it's honestly my preferred method of playing. Feels intuitive enough. I actually never gave KB+M a good try, I guess, but it just feels "right" with controller in hand for this.

Refreshment.01 said:
Quest failed in that case was sort of a relative term. Btw, when you do the quest properly, what's the reward? I seriously can't remenber.

200 Orens and more EXP (100 vs 60? I think).

Minsc

Gold Member
DennisK4 said:
Can the game be played with the 360 controller and if so how is it?

I prefer it. If you have access to a mouse and keyboard it will help though. The main game plays perfectly (except for a scene in the prologue where you need the mouse due to patch 1.1), it's just in the menus right now the analog sticks aren't working right with 1.1, and you need to use the mouse sometimes (which is invisible, but whatever, it's easy enough since everything lights up).

It really helps to use the mod to change the weight limit from 300 > 900 though, you pick up everything with a gamepad when you search, so the 300 limit is ridiculous, plus there's no storage. 900 is a bit lower than infinite, so you feel like you can't just carry 1,000 swords with you, you get to do a little inventory management still.

Combat is great on a pad though. I tried mouse+keyboard in 1.1 for a little while, but the gamepad just felt nicer, and works better with lower framerates (I hit 45fps sometimes, and it doesn't feel so choppy on a pad).

Dosia

Never played the witcher 1, but I am just starting my first playthrough for this game. Is it possible to lvl up enough to max all skills or is it pick one path and stick with it?

Dennis

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
its made for the 360 pad, plays perfectly
Great. I prefer playing RPGs and games like Assassins Creed on a pad rather than K+M.

The 360 pad is one of the most important innovations for PC gaming in the last 5 years. No, I am not kidding.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I have to be one of the freaks who liked M/K more. I preferred being able to access menus via hotkeys instead of sifting through the start button and picking up items seemed kinda wonky with the controller.

Dosia said:
Never played the witcher 1, but I am just starting my first playthrough for this game. Is it possible to lvl up enough to max all skills or is it pick one path and stick with it?

Level cap is 35 which means you can max out one tree or mix and match in multiple ones.

Salaadin

DennisK4 said:
Great. I prefer playing RPGs and games like Assassins Creed on a pad rather than K+M.

The 360 pad is one of the most important innovations for PC gaming in the last 5 years. No, I am not kidding.

I wish Logitech would make a similar wireless controller thats compatible with 360 pad games. I usually like their controllers more than anything.
My Rumblepad 2 gets so little use these days :(

iNvid02

DennisK4 said:

i agree, widespread support of the 360 pad is one of the main reasons i bought a pc to play on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dosia said:

Level cap is 35 and there's something like 35x2 skills (each skill can be leveled twice), so you have to pick and choose which you want to max as you'll get enough for about half of them.

Archie said:
I have to be one of the freaks who liked M/K more. I preferred being able to access menus via hotkeys instead of sifting through the start button and picking up items seemed kinda wonky with the controller.

I think I'm going to go with Gamepad + a dash of M/K as the perfect control scheme. The game uses all three at once pretty nicely.

DennisK4 said:

2 warnings about it though. The menus are kinda clunky (have to scroll through the inventory tabs with the bumper instead of just pressing up to get to the first row), and as of the 1.1 patch the analog sticks don't work in the UI at all. That includes the radial. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Anything not UI related works really well though.

iNvid02

Jay Shadow said:
2 warnings about it though. The menus are kinda clunky (have to scroll through the inventory tabs with the bumper instead of just pressing up to get to the first row), and as of the 1.1 patch the analog sticks don't work in the UI at all. That includes the radial. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Anything not UI related works really well though.

i cant even scroll down to read the longer stuff in the journal using the sticks or the d-pad

Archie said:

Level cap is 35 which means you can max out one tree or mix and match in multiple ones.

Honestly, they're good in different ways. I can see people prefering one over the other and vice versa. With gamepad, it feels more comfortable, but I wish I had more buttons for quick access to spells/pocket weapons as well as jumping straight into inventory or map.

Dosia

Archie said:

Is it difficult to reach lvl 35? Also, is there a preferred area in the game for xp grinding?

Dosia said:
Is it difficult to reach lvl 35? Also, is there a preferred area in the game for xp grinding?

Not sure how difficult it is to reach 35 but main quest completions give you a ridiculous amount of XP in comparison to grinding. A lot of main quests give you two levels worth of experience when you complete them whereas sidequests and killing mobs barely move the XP bar.

Solo said:
OOOOOOOOOOODRIN, WHERE ARE YOU BOY?

I wonder if this was the Heavy Rain influence they were talking about...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Dosia said:

I finished the game at level 33, bordering on 34, with no grind and did maybe 80%(?) of the quests. If you do every quest and explore every nook and cranny you will hit the level cap no problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Archie said:
I have to be one of the freaks who liked M/K more.

Freak? No way! I tried the gamepad for an hour or so, but it felt really cumbersome. I'm sure it was because I wasn't used to it, but I much prefer the precision I get with a keyboard and mouse. Maneuvering the camera to get a target on specific enemies (I rarely use the lock-on feature) is a hell of a lot harder with the sluggish right analog stick than it is with a mouse. Instant access to menus and easier menu navigation is also a big bonus when using KB/M.

Overall, I just find the KB/M controls to be far snappier and more precise, which helps a ton in a game where the combat isn't very forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom