• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jay Shadow said:
18-25 years I'd guess. The time between The Last Wish and Blood of Elves was probably around 13 years. I don't know how much time took place between Blood of Elves and the last book, Lady of the Lake. The games take place 5 years after Lady of the Lake.
Interesting. I'm really enjoying The Last Wish, and I already bought Blood of Elves on Kindle. Can't wait to read through that as well.

Also, I talked my two best friends into buying Witcher 2 on a whim, and they are loving the shit out of it. In fact, one friend, who really didn't want to buy it until much later, and wasn't particularly excited to play it, actually ended up blowing off our Portal 2 co-op session to play it.

I did good, this weekend. :)

jim-jam bongs said:
Have we really come to this? That's the equivalent of giving everyone a gold star for effort. Not directed at you by the way, I'm just amazed that the scrubs seem to have taken over completely.
I fail to see how it babies the situation since you still would technically die from a mechanics standpoint. It would only apply to the prologue. After all it makes no sense from a narrative perspective if you died in a retelling of events you had participated in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gully State said:
I fail to see how it babies the situation since you still would technically die from a mechanics standpoint. It would only apply to the prologue. After all it makes no sense from a narrative perspective if you died in a retelling of events you had participated in.

It would if you just did the Prince of Persia "No wait, that's not how it happened" game over screen.

Btw, I wish this showed up more than once in the game. It's so brilliant in the intro, I would kill to hear it one more time in the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oXRzxrpwo

Need some help regarding a reward with Troll Trouble in Chapter 1:

After beating the guy with the female troll head at dice, I took the head back to the troll for the Hunter's Armor diagram - yet nobody will craft it for me. It's not showing up in the crafting list. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Gully State said:

That's sort of my point, you do still die from a mechanics standpoint so representing it as something different is a form of coddling in my opinion. I agree that it doesn't make a huge amount of logical sense for the player to die during a flashback, but it serves the purpose of preparing them for what comes next.

That said, I don't think that it makes a massive difference unless it's implemented as a "rewind button" like POP.

Riposte

I am looking for the official polish title, but I don't shit about polish. Is this proper?

Wiedźmin 2: Zabójcy Królów

Coldsnap

During chapter two
While going to Vergen and killing Dethmold's men aka Mercenarys, the tunner is super dark. Is it suppose to be this dark? Just wondering if my plasma isn't crushing my blacks. Maybe this is a good place for cat potion

PoweredBySoy said:
Need some help regarding a reward with Troll Trouble in Chapter 1:

After beating the guy with the female troll head at dice, I took the head back to the troll for the Hunter's Armor diagram - yet nobody will craft it for me. It's not showing up in the crafting list. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Scroll down.

Solo

Coldsnap said:
During chapter two
While going to Vergen and killing Dethmold's men aka Mercenarys, the tunner is super dark. Is it suppose to be this dark? Just wondering if my plasma isn't crushing my blacks. Maybe this is a good place for cat potion

That tunnel is fairly dark, yes.

Ferrio said:
Also the developer's were assholes for the weight limit. Especially on a game that requires you to have so much shit onhand.
That's where you guys are mistaken. The idea with weight is to force the user to make decisions, stashing swords and armors (the items with the most weight) is pointless, just pick the one of each type that best suits your needs, upgrade it and be vigilant because another better one is just around the corner. The rest? sell it. Also you don't need to carry many heavy craft items at the same time. Just buy diagrams in case you need a specific one to forge an item. Many of the shop keepers and black smiths carry the necesary ingredients for whatever you might need at the moment.

I think people using weight mods are umbalancing the game for the small convinience of not learning the ropes of inventory management for this game. The compulsive stashing is a practice that has been embeded to the user by RPG's for decades, just let it go at least for this game.

gdt

I'm not really a stasher, and I hate managing inventory.

BUT, I have have this weird thing about mods, I won't use them. I will always, always chose to play the game as the developers vision. For whatever reason, I kind of see alot of mods as changing an artist's creation.

So, even though I hate it, I won't mess with the weight limit.

It's so fucking stupid, but I won't do it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gdt5016 said:

BUT, I have have this weird thing about mods, I won't use them. I will always, always chose to play the game as the developers vision. For whatever reason, I kind of see alot of mods as changing an artist's creation.

I share your view but did the weight mod. Never looked back. It's simply to prevent me from slugging back far at times to empty my inventory.

Never had a problem with the weight limit once I stopped picking up stupid junk like rope ladders or rings. All that stuff is useless. No need for extra weapons as you only use swords and you can always equip the new awesome one. People either don't know there is a bunch of junk they are carrying around or they are trying to play the game as a loot RPG.

gdt5016 said:

I did a whole play through with no mods or anything.

At the start of my second play through I put the weight mod in and it just saves time. I don't have to carry all the excess stuff I just looted to sell.

But personally it was just to save time, since I have limited time to play games these days.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Spoiler for Chapter 3 Roche path
HAHA was that a fucking dildo on Deth's bed ? It had the same design as the "mushrooms" in the Path to Vision quest, I KNEW those weren't mushrooms :p!!

gdt5016 said:

Yup, I never use mods too. But I advice you to make an exception this time. Managing inventory is a headache.

gdt5016 said:
LiquidMetal14 said:
I share your view but did the weight mod. Never looked back. It's simply to prevent me from slugging back far at times to empty my inventory.
If you are not stashers, then something is wrong with the way you are managing that inventory.

My countering point is very simple. Im on my second playtrough, in the first run at the same point of the game, i probably got overweight maybe 10 times or so. Now i havent got over weight not a single time so far. Made a lot of potions, bombs and got a lot more orens to spare. The thing is i learned what's necesary and what isn't, that's called gaining experience points, Geralt is not the only one leveling up now :D

Varna

Meh. This game is very generous with it's weight capacity. Aside from the more rare crafting materials like meteorite ores, you can just ignore/sell everything else. Containers seem to restock every couple of days and most vendors will carry many crafting items. With my gear, decent amount of alchemy ingredients and bombs/traps/knives my capacity was always at 220/350. Money is never really an issue in this game so I rarely picked up weapons to sell.

I do wish money was more hard to come by in the game. I miss having to grind for that excellent leather jacket. :(

thetrin

gdt5016 said:

I'm weird like that, too. I feel like I'm cheating by modding the game. I only use mods that add new content or are life extensions to existing multiplayer games.

1stStrike

Banned
I kind of want to get a trainer (if any exist that aren't riddled with trojans) and do a 3rd play through with everything maxed. All powers in every tree and just go ape shit on insane difficulty. I have no intention of doing insane legitly, btw :p

Aeana

I wouldn't mind a mod to get rid of the heartbeat sound when using cat potions. There's something about that sound effect that makes me incredibly uneasy. I just did the mine thing in Vergen so I had to have one on at all times. Yergh.

Aeana said:
I wouldn't mind a mod to get rid of the heartbeat sound when using cat potions. There's something about that sound effect that makes me incredibly uneasy. I just did the mine thing in Vergen so I had to have one on at all times. Yergh.

I'd love a mod that lets you cancel it early. I hate having to use it for only 2 minutes and then have the beautiful graphics ruined for the rest of the time.

Darkkn

Just discovered that this game has a weird perk system. If you do certain decisions while playing the game you can get various perks. I wondered why my weight limit on a first playtrough was 350 and now on a second run 250(
sparing LaValette and freeing him for prison apparently gives you +carry limit perk
). Weird and obscure system for sure.

Aeana

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'd love a mod that lets you cancel it early. I hate having to use it for only 2 minutes and then have the beautiful graphics ruined for the rest of the time.
Don't you just have to meditate to cancel potion effects?

Darkkn said:
Just discovered that this game has a weird perk system. If you do certain decisions while playing the game you can get various perks. I wondered why my weight limit on a first playtrough was 350 and now on a second run 250(
sparing LaValette and freeing him for prison apparently gives you +carry limit perk

Ah I was wondering the same thing why my weight capacity was different.

The perks are usually very minor so it's not a big deal imo.

Darkkn said:
If you walk into a fireplace heaps of times you will get a fire resistance perk. Tons come from dialogue choices, like using Axii to get your way.

Ferrio

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
If you walk into a fireplace heaps of times you will get a fire resistance perk. Tons come from dialogue choices, like using Axii to get your way.

Speaking of walking in fireplaces. I started a conversation with an npc. Halfway through it.. I noticed there was fire around Geralt, next thing I knew he was in complete flames. Finally exit out the cutscene and sure enough they placed me in a damn campfire.

thetrin

Aeana said:
Don't you just have to meditate to cancel potion effects?
You can't always meditate as soon as you come out of a dark area. Sometimes you're still in an unsafe zone.

Exuro

Ferrio said:
Speaking of walking in fireplaces. I started a conversation with an npc. Halfway through it.. I noticed there was fire around Geralt, next thing I knew he was in complete flames. Finally exit out the cutscene and sure enough they placed me in a damn campfire.
Yup talking to the arm wrestling champ in act 2 roche side does that.

Salaadin

Ferrio said:
LOL, same thing happened to me.

Varna said:
Meh. This game is very generous with it's weight capacity. Aside from the more rare crafting materials like meteorite ores, you can just ignore/sell everything else. Containers seem to restock every couple of days and most vendors will carry many crafting items. With my gear, decent amount of alchemy ingredients and bombs/traps/knives my capacity was always at 220/350. Money is never really an issue in this game so I rarely picked up weapons to sell.

I do wish money was more hard to come by in the game. I miss having to grind for that excellent leather jacket. :(

Replaying the first game, one thing which makes orens a lot more plentiful in TW2 is the monster research system being based on combat experience in addition to books. Having to buy a book before you can loot ingredients from a monster gets seriously expensive really fast.

Ferrio said:
I'm convinced that the Roche path is just one big bet by the developers on how many times they can catch you on fire.

Zeliard

reptilescorpio said:
Never had a problem with the weight limit once I stopped picking up stupid junk like rope ladders or rings. All that stuff is useless. No need for extra weapons as you only use swords and you can always equip the new awesome one. People either don't know there is a bunch of junk they are carrying around or they are trying to play the game as a loot RPG.
Poor gamepad users can't even loot items individually. I imagine those unfortunate souls have a more troublesome time with inventory management.

Weight mods are for the weak, though. :>

And there's also a mod that removes vigor requirements for blocking? Just awful. That exists for a reason. Next thing you know you guys will use a mod that enables vigor regen when you have Quen up.

Varna

jim-jam bongs said:
Replaying the first game, one thing which makes orens a lot more plentiful in TW2 is the monster research system being based on combat experience in addition to books. Having to buy a book before you can loot ingredients from a monster gets seriously expensive really fast.

But even in TW1 you never really had to go out of your way for cash. Just do a decent amount of the side quest and you were good. Considering how many characters bitch about money being tight it would be cool if the gameplay reflected that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh god, why do you guys have to repeat all those Chapter 1 lines? I heard them so often it's stuck in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom