• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
DennisK4 said:
Can the game be played with the 360 controller and if so how is it?

Right now the menus are screwed up with the patch and don't work with analog sticks. BUT they do work with the d-pad. The one thing you should remember is that all menus are navigated with strick "up and down" or "left and right" direction inputs. The menus do not ever use diagonals even if they look curved. Other than that, menus are fairly easy to navigate with the controller.

Two suggestions for controller configuration altering though:

1) Switch LB and LT so that LT is lock on and LB is quick menu (like most games).

2) Make D-pad right "next sign" and D-pad left "next item in pocket." You will use these way more often than you'll change your sword between silver and steel (which is what these buttons do by default) and you can can always change your sword type with the quick radial menu (left bumper).

iNvidious01 said:
i cant even scroll down to read the longer stuff in the journal using the sticks or the d-pad
Yeah, I moved my wireless mouse receiver closer to the TV and placed my mouse in front of me to use the scroll wheel in those cases :(

Minsc

Gold Member
iNvidious01 said:
i cant even scroll down to read the longer stuff in the journal using the sticks or the d-pad

Even in 1.0 the journal was broken with the gamepad, since you can't scroll down and see what is new in the lists without selecting it, and instantly removing the new tag before you even see it. With a mouse you can use the wheel and scroll the list without selecting anything, so you don't remove the new tags, so you can know which entries were updated... this is useful when there's 200+ or so entries and you don't remember exactly what each one said.

Zefah said:
Freak? No way! I tried the gamepad for an hour or so, but it felt really cumbersome. I'm sure it was because I wasn't used to it, but I much prefer the precision I get with a keyboard and mouse. Maneuvering the camera to get a target on specific enemies (I rarely use the lock-on feature) is a hell of a lot harder with the sluggish right analog stick than it is with a mouse. Instant access to menus and easier menu navigation is also a big bonus when using KB/M.

Overall, I just find the KB/M controls to be far snappier and more precise, which helps a ton in a game where the combat isn't very forgiving.

I've had no trouble at all maneuvering the camera with the analog stick, Geralt attacks whatever's closest in the direction you're pushing with no trouble on the gamepad, and I haven't had to use the lock-on yet once. I do prefer the keyboard for accessing the inventory screens from trying it out, and the mouse for menu navigation.

Ferrio

Banned
Kyaw said:
But if you solve the quest...

I failed the quest.... will I be haunted with their voices forever?

Also the developer's were assholes for the weight limit. Especially on a game that requires you to have so much shit onhand.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I chose Roche's path for a second walkthrough and I definitely like the story better. And dialogues at the beginning... so good. There some really subtle dialogue lines when you talk to the Emperor's emissary, I dig that.

This game is wonderful. I think I'll buy a third copy and gift it to someone.

subversus

I prefer mkb too because of hot keys, but combat works great with gamepad. They need an option to map some menus to some buttons or combinations of buttons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
I've had no trouble at all maneuvering the camera with the analog stick, Geralt attacks whatever's closest in the direction you're pushing with no trouble on the gamepad, and I haven't had to use the lock-on yet once. I do prefer the keyboard for accessing the inventory screens from trying it out, and the mouse for menu navigation.

The targeting system is pretty wonky and a lot of the time it doesn't target the closest enemy in proximity to Geralt. At least for me it does. I have to move the camera around a bit to get a target on the enemy I want to hit. I always make sure I'm targeting the enemy I want to hit before pressing the attack button. I found this process to be overly difficult due to the sluggish nature an analog stick compared to a mouse. I'm sure it's fine if you get used to it, but I feel I have more control over the combat when playing with KB/M.

ukas

Ferrio said:

Also the developer's were assholes for the weight limit. Especially on a game that requires you to have so much shit onhand.
First thing I did was use the 0 weight mod. If/when they do bring this out on consoles that will definitely be one of the crappy parts about it.

Ferrio

Banned
ukas said:
First thing I did was use the 0 weight mod. If/when they do bring this out on consoles that will definitely be one of the crappy parts about it.

Ya I increased my weight limit to 500, and I just hit that now. I go through all my stuff and there isn't a single thing I wanna throw away... Going to have to bump it up more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrio said:
Ya I increased my weight limit to 500, and I just hit that now. I go through all my stuff and there isn't a single thing I wanna throw away... Going to have to bump it up more.

For my second playthrough, I just used the mod that removes the weight from items. Fuck inventory management.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Zefah said:
For my second playthrough, I just used the mod that removes the weight limit from items. Fuck inventory management.

*High five

I wasn't going to use the mod on the second playthrough but apparently I missed out on some ability that bumped the limit from 200->300. So I was stuck with 200 and it was terrible.

Thank god for PC gaming and its mods.

Snuggler said:
I love inventory management. I collected most of the items I came across, but my inventory was rarely more than 200lbs. Craft, sell, consume...it all has a purpose. Sounds like some of you guys might be hoarders, you should see a doctor about that.

You'll take my Raven's Armor when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love inventory management. I collected most of the items I came across, but my inventory was rarely more than 200lbs. Craft, sell, consume...it all has a purpose. Sounds like some of you guys might be hoarders, you should see a doctor about that.

I'm sure this has already been posted, but in case it hasn't, did you guys see that President Obama got this as a gift when he visited Poland recently? Pretty cool.

subversus

Snuggler said:
I love inventory management. I collected most of the items I came across, but my inventory was rarely more than 200lbs. Craft, sell, consume...it all has a purpose.

same here

nextgeneration said:
I'm sure this has already been posted, but in case it hasn't, did you guys see that President Obama got this as a gift when he visited Poland recently? Pretty cool.
yes

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Started my second playthrough last night, and was surprised to find the prologue was really really easy. I went back to the difficulty select to double check, and it was on normal. I had a HELL of a time with the prologue back when I first started the game, but had absolutely no problems this time. Even the 5 person fight that gave me problems originally was a breeze this time. It could partly be that I knew what I was coming up against, but there's something to be said for knowing the combat better, knowing how to use all the spells, and making better use of oils this time around. I look forward to playing through the game again, this time taking Roche's path.

nextgeneration said:
Lol. That is fucking awesome.

thetrin said:
Started my second playthrough last night, and was surprised to find the prologue was really really easy. I went back to the difficulty select to double check, and it was on normal. I had a HELL of a time with the prologue back when I first started the game, but had absolutely no problems this time. Even the 5 person fight that gave me problems originally was a breeze this time. It could partly be that I knew what I was coming up against, but there's something to be said for knowing the combat better, knowing how to use all the spells, and making better use of oils this time around. I look forward to playing through the game again, this time taking Roche's path.

Lol. That is fucking awesome.

Yup, awesome story. Here's the link:

http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/2770/usa-president-barack-obama-receives-witcher-2/

subversus

I have to say that some stories in the books are really good. Some are just above mediocrity but some are really good and well-written.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:

It's odd, I don't mind inventory management at all when your carry limit is restricted by actual space (Diablo and Diablo-likes, The Witcher 1, etc.), but when it's weight-based and items are just in a list format (Oblivion, The Witcher 2, etc.), having to delete or sell stuff really irritates me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
subversus said:
I have to say that some stories in the books are really good. Some are just above mediocrity but some are really good and well-written.
I'm pretty early on in The Last Wish, but I have to say the story started off with a bang.

I did have a question, though. In the beginning of The Last Wish, Foltest is described as having a boyish face. How much time takes place between The Last Wish and Witcher 2? Do Witcher and Witcher 2 follow the plot of any of the books?

dionysus

Yaldog
You can still use your mousewheel to scroll descriptions when in controller mode. I think scrolling though defaults to whatever is on the right side of the screen, I haven't been able to scroll with the mousewheel through item/quest lists, which are always on the left side of the screen.

Xilium

Just finished the game and it better get a sequel. That said, I played a pacifist in all but two instances (
"sister" wraiths and the Operator
) on Roche's path and I'm sure a number of those will come back to bite me.

I'll get around to playing Iorveth's path eventually but I got a lot of other games I need to play on my backlog.

Peff

thetrin said:
I'm pretty early on in The Last Wish, but I have to say the story started off with a bang.

I did have a question, though. In the beginning of The Last Wish, Foltest is described as having a boyish face. How much time takes place between The Last Wish and Witcher 2? Do Witcher and Witcher 2 follow the plot of any of the books?

The games take place after the novels end. In fact they're also kind of a reset button... You'll find out why, but it's spoiled in The Witcher 2.

Zomba13

Ferrio said:

First thing I did was download a mod that got rid of it. If there is one thing I hate with a passion in WRPGs it's the fucking weight limits.

Oddly enough though I'm fine with limited bag space where you can stack items (like in The Witcher 1 or most MMOs).

Zomba13 said:
First thing I did was download a mod that got rid of it. If there is one thing I hate with a passion in WRPGs it's the fucking weight limits.

Oddly enough though I'm fine with limited bag space where you can stack items (like in The Witcher 1 or most MMOs).
I can't stand the inventory in TW1. It just feels so arbitrary that a chicken sandwich in your inventory is treated the same as a stack of 20 demon-dog skulls. The weight system has problems which could be ironed out with some tweaks to drop rates and weight for specific items, I don't think abandoning it would be the best solution.

toasty_T said:
Where is the option boss people are mentioning? I've missed it on two playthroughs.

In Act 3, you need to complete
the Gargoyle quest then go into the sewers and repeat the password from the notes and go through the portal

I didn't find the optional boss too hard, I was doing it on hard. Perhaps it was because I was mostly a swordsman build.

Finished my Iorveth play through last night and I think I found my favorite ending (spoilers obviously)
Taking Phillipa to heal Saskia and then using said dagger to free Saskia from the spell was awesome. I also played the Triss section and it does seem to reveal more of the story but for endings I preferred saving Saskia.

thetrin said:
18-25 years I'd guess. The time between The Last Wish and Blood of Elves was probably around 13 years. I don't know how much time took place between Blood of Elves and the last book, Lady of the Lake. The games take place 5 years after Lady of the Lake.

Xilium

DualShadow said:
In Act 3, you need to complete
the Gargoyle quest then go into the sewers and repeat the password from the notes and go through the portal
Don't know about on Iorveth's path but on Roche's path you get those notes in act II from the house on the cliff. The manuscript from the gargoyle quest was for an epic class sword recipe.

Act 2 spoiler:
When doing the little sisters quest, on the side of the house are a number of barrels. If you go up to them you will get an option to use Aard on them which will reveal a cellar door. Figure out the puzzle and a room will open up with the note inside. Dethmold will request to buy it from you when you talk to him about it. Refuse and the quest will carry over to act 3 where you can continue it after poking around in the sewers and talking to the craft merchant Bras of Ban Ard(?).

Xilium said:
Don't know about on Iorveth's path but on Roche's path you get those notes in act II from the house on the cliff. The manuscript from the gargoyle quest was for an epic class sword recipe.

Act 2 spoiler:
When doing the little sisters quest, on the side of the house are a number of barrels. If you go up to them you will get an option to use Aard on them which will reveal a cellar door. Figure out the puzzle and a room will open up with the note inside. Dethmold will request to buy it from you when you talk to him about it. Refuse and the quest will carry over to act 3 where you can continue it after poking around in the sewers and talking to the craft merchant Bras of Ban Ard(?).

Yeah those were the notes I was talking about, sorry could have worded it better.

Iorveth's path: The notes are in the same place there is just no quest to go there so takes a little adventuring.

Toasty:
You can fight that person for some loot

The notes are always in the same place regardless of path. If you've done the quest but haven't found the boss at the end of it, you also need to
challenge the operator, either by telling him you aren't the chosen one, or telling him that you think you can operate the artifact without him.

I did the quest on my first run but didn't even realise you could fight him because of the dialogue options I chose.

leng jai

For anyone still looking I found a cover for the OST which doesn't look blurry as fuck on the iPod Touch:

The-Witcher-2-thumb.jpg

So from reading all the reviews complain about dying so much in the tutorial, it hit me....that whole sequence is a retelling of past events. An easy way to address all those deaths without overhauling the prologue would've simply been for CDPR to have Geralt or Roche say something to the effect of "That not how it happened" anytime you the player died.

Spiderfish

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know how can I see the description of the active potions / effects?
In Witcher 1 you could pause the game and when you put your mouse over the active effects you could see what they did and their duration but so far I haven't been able to find them in the sequel.

Xilium

Gully State said:
So from reading all the reviews complain about dying so much in the tutorial, it hit me....that whole sequence is a retelling of past events. An easy way to address all those deaths without overhauling the prologue would've simply been for CDPR to have Geralt or Roche say something to the effect of "That not how it happened" anytime you the player died.
Prince of Persia style.

I think since a lot of people complained about the difficulty in the first game (one of the most popular mods for the game was a very hard difficulty overhaul), they just wanted to show their fans right off the bat that this game was going to be more difficult. I tend not to like overly difficult games but once I installed the mod that removes vigor reduction on block (which really would've sucked as I was doing a mage build), I got into the motion of things very quickly.

Spiderfish said:
Sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know how can I see the description of the active potions / effects?
In Witcher 1 you could pause the game and when you put your mouse over the active effects you could see what they did and their duration but so far I haven't been able to find them in the sequel.
Little icons of each effect on you should show up at the top center of your screen with a countdown wheel/timer.

Gully State said:
Have we really come to this? That's the equivalent of giving everyone a gold star for effort. Not directed at you by the way, I'm just amazed that the scrubs seem to have taken over completely.

Varna

Gully State said:

This a joke? I recall someone telling me about Prince of Persia doing something like this.

Been thinking about it and they kind of fucked up bad by having a canon TW1 ending. It literally plays absolutely no role at all in TW2 and kind of screws over those players who choose different things. Some examples...

Few TW1 spoilers.

Thaler references... what the fuck was the point of it? Nice reference to an old character, but would it have killed them to leave it out of he didn't survive your game?

Order of the Flaming Rose knight during
chapter 2
. A slight tweak could have made all the difference. He give you an item if you were with the order, attacks you if you weren't.

Adda reference... if she is dead, don't say anything about her. Her husband doesn't even seem to talk about her that much either.

Shani or Triss... you are given so many opportunities to show that Triss is not your love interest and towards the end you can even say some pretty harsh things to her. So why could there not have been a different intro scene with Triss in another tent? Shani not being shown or referenced doesn't even matter as much as this simple change to the intro.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Man i tried going back to my fallout new vegas play-through and just couldn't do it, need to give this a another play through to get it out of my system, in fact i just started a new one just then!

The Operator got lit up (literally)
it took me a while to figure out that I had to take out the gargoyles before I could hit him again, those things were one shotting me left and right since I'm playing with full back damage. Once I came to that realization it was pretty easy. I had him on around 15% after a couple of heavy hits (rook+falka's blood+beserk mode+poison damage bonus which is an extra 30%) then he went into a mode where my swords wouldn't hurt him so I threw a dancing star bomb at him and he died in a sea of flames

This was on hard btw. Fighting the
gargoyles
in such a small space was probably the hardest part about it.

Solo

Lafiel said:
Man i tried going back to my fallout new vegas play-through and just couldn't do it, need to give this a another play through to get it out of my system, in fact i just started a new one just then!

I don't think I could ever return to Fallout after this. In fact, Skyrim is going to be Bethesda's (yes I know they didn't make New Vegas) last chance with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom