• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

What does a Witcher eat, anyway?

I get that recording heaps of different environmental NPC dialog is costly. They could at least town down how often they repeat.

Van Buren

Fredescu said:

I get that recording heaps of different environmental NPC dialog is costly. They could at least town down how often they repeat.

Wouldn't be a WRPG without the repeated NPC barks. For every shrill "Death to the squirrels!" bark we get gems like "Are your pubes white too ?", so it's all good.

Fredescu said:

WHY DOES HE NEED TWO SWORDS? DOES HE LOSE THEM OFTEN?

Exuro

So whats up with the red glowing chest in
philipas house
? I found the note with the orders as well as see the candles on the floor but they don't do anything.

Exuro said:
So whats up with the red glowing chest in
philipas house
? I found the note with the orders as well as see the candles on the floor but they don't do anything.

Philipa needs to be there to say a spell

mileS

Started a new game and i'm currently in the middle of the prologue. Man people aren't kidding when they say the combat is extremely easy the second time around. Maybe its because I have the Blue Stripes jacket on but wow, I feel like a badass now even without any talents yet.

Also I managed to cut off two arms at once on one soldier near the ballista you fire. I think it was Solo that mentioned you don't really see that as often in any of the other chapters. Maybe its a bug because I seem to be doing it more during the prologue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mileS said:
Started a new game and i'm currently in the middle of the prologue. Man people aren't kidding when they say the combat is extremely easy the second time around. Maybe its because I have the Blue Stripes jacket on but wow, I feel like a badass now even without any talents yet.

Also I managed to cut off two arms at once on one soldier near the ballista you fire. I think it was Solo that mentioned you don't really see that as often in any of the other chapters. Maybe its a bug because I seem to be doing it more during the prologue.

Having played through it twice now, I'm pretty sure that only exists in the prologue. Probably a bug, or just something where they ran out of time.

Tokubetsu

I'm thinking it's because a lot of the enemies you start fighting later are well armored. (I never got dismemberment on the few well armored guys in the prologue either)

I've brought it up a couple times too. It would have been nice to see it though, outside of the prologue.

Exuro

I remember dismembering guys near the ballista in the prologue. That is strange that that's the only time I remember ever dismembering anyone. Hopefully its just a bug, would be odd if its intended.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exuro said:
I remember dismembering guys near the ballista in the prologue. That is strange that that's the only time I remember ever dismembering anyone. Hopefully its just a bug, would be odd if its intended.
I found that bizarre too. I noticed it even more on my second playthrough, because I totally forgot you COULD dismember people.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh man I want it in all the chapters! I totally forgot about it.

Uhm, Deus Ex: Human Revolution no longer looks impressive after TW2.

gdt

I. Love. Flotsam.

Dear god, the forest is beautiful, just dripping with awesomeness.

Got a question though. I bought the grapeshots, and the diagram for it. I seem to have the neccesary materials, but that diagram doesn't show up on his craftable list. I want to make a ton.

Aeana

gdt5016 said:
I. Love. Flotsam.

Dear god, the forest is beautiful, just dripping with awesomeness.

Got a question though. I bought the grapeshots, and the diagram for it. I seem to have the neccesary materials, but that diagram doesn't show up on his craftable list. I want to make a ton.
You make grapshots through alchemy.

Fredescu

gdt5016 said:
Are you trying to get an NPC to craft it? You make bombs yourself, via alchemy.

gdt

Okay, another question. I sold a bunch of formulas at the start of the game, one of which was Swallow (I think). But now, I can't make it anymore.

So, unlike TW1, I can't make stuff if I don't presently have the formula for it?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
gdt5016 said:
Okay, another question. I sold a bunch of formulas at the start of the game, one of which was Swallow (I think). But now, I can't make it anymore.

So, unlike TW1, I can't make stuff if I don't presently have the formula for it?

Unfortunately yes, you gotta carry around the formulas.

gdt5016 said:

You need the formula in your inventory to make the bomb/potion/oil etc.

Tokubetsu

Forgot to ask but what's the benefit of knowing everything about the monsters (after say reading a book or fighting enough of them).

Aeana

Tokubetsu said:
Forgot to ask but what's the benefit of knowing everything about the monsters (after say reading a book or fighting enough of them).
I think it affects what drops you get.

Yurt said:

Wat.

Despite both being RPGs they are extremely different, in gameplay, setting and game design.

gdt

Pankaks said:
Unfortunately yes, you gotta carry around the formulas.

Ugh. That's kinda dumb, imo. Geralt should know how to make Cat and Swallow by now. But okay, time to hunt down Swallow.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Wat.

Despite both being RPGs they are extremely different, in gameplay, setting and game design.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. But before TW2, I considered Deus ex to be the game that'd most likely kill my Graphics card lol.

edit I'm not directly comparing them together. I'm comparing the Graphics.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Just finished the game with roche path,...
Does a second playtrough on the other path is worth it?
I hear chapter2 is diferent , how about chapter 3 ?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
dgenx said:

It's not only worth it, it's a must to see the whole story come together. Yes both chapters unfold differently and you'll experience unique events/quests.

You'll know more about Saskia for one.

dgenx said:

Highly recommended!

It's almost like playing a completely different story.

Nert

I'm about four hours into this game after powering through the original last week, and wow, the visuals are stunning. The change in engine seems to have clearly helped as well, as everything just seems to run more smoothly.

The introduction was fantastic, and Flotsam seems like a really interesting place. I'm already getting a little nervous about inventory management, though, which was a constant nuisance in the first game. I'll probably just go get that "items have no weight" mod and just enjoy the rest of the experience.

Van Buren

L0st Id3ntity said:
Have you seen gameplay? It looks like ass, PS2 HD at best.

To be fair to Deus Ex, have they ever demoed the game with tesselation and other bells and whistles applied ? The latest trailer did remind me at times of a good looking PS2 game running on pcsx2 though.

Jintor

Yurt said:

For looks, perhaps. For many other things, I'm going to say the outlook on DXHR is positive.

Cels

WAIT TILL HE DROPS HIS FUCKIN GUARD

I have a few minor complaints about this game, but I still love it.

The translation is weak in some parts. For example, you can craft cloth into a more advanced version -- but the game calls it Robust Cloth some places and Solid Cloth others. Solid and Robust cloth are the same thing though. Similarly, in one quest in Act 2 you have to use "beehive bombs" to seal tunnels so that necrophages can't come out anymore. I was looking around for a "beehive" diagram for ages until I gave up and looked online and it turns out it's just a translation SNAFU, beehive = grapeshot. This error is repeated in the quest description text where it says something like "Geralt used beehive bombs to stop the infestation".

There were also quite a few "it's" where "its" would have been proper, among other typos...I remember at some point they spelled "exchange" wrong, haha.

Inventory interface was an improvement over the first game but is still bad. In the first game you could sort your alchemical ingredients by type, so you can see how much rebis you had left, how much vermilion, etc. In this game you cannot do that. Another interface feature that would be nice is, when looking at a crafting item, list every known item that that item is used to craft. When looking at a crafting diagram, it should tell you how much of the ingredients you have, just like when looking at the crafter window.

One interface improvement would be to avoid the stupid snail-speed scrolling on crafting formulas/diagrams. Yes, I know you can look at the whole recipe all at once by exiting inventory and going to the journal->crafting but that requires you to exit and go to a different screen?

The biggest thing that would help is an automatic sort that would intelligently group everything in your inventory together by item type. That way I don't have to search through my 80+ item list to find the Junk type items that I want to sell.

Finally, why can't you see how many traps/bombs you have left if the bomb/trap is put in one of your pockets? You cant see it from the CTRL quick menu, you can't see it in the lower left. The only way to check is to remove the bomb/trap from my pockets back into my inventory to see how many I had left, then put it back into my pockets after I was done. Silly.

Also, even though there are only three levels of Axii/Intimidation/Persuasion, every time I would use one of those in a conversation it would say that SKILL LEVEL UP/NEW SKILL. I had already maxed it at level 3 much earlier in the game already so clearly that was a mistake.

Also I hesitate to list this as a complaint because maybe I played the quests wrong but there seem to be at least two quests that are broken...In Act 2 -->
If you are on the Vergen side Saskia gets poisoned and you get a quest to find out who did it. One of the branches leads to a peasant who served the drink which leads you to Olcan's house, which basically contains evidence that he ordered a replica goblet which which to poison her. At that point the quest gets a GREEN X on it but later on as you progress through the primary quest you get a QUEST FAILED notification for that quest. Same goes for Suspect:Thorak quest which involves finding the diagram and receipt for the fake goblet.

Gameplay-wise I wouldn't have minded the carry-limit that much if there was a STORAGE just like there was in the first game. That way I wouldn't be carrying around everything I needed (crafting material like extra monster parts, iron/silver/oil) absolutely everywhere...I managed, it was just annoying though.

Zeliard

Cels said:
Finally, why can't you see how many traps/bombs you have left if the bomb/trap is put in one of your pockets? You cant see it from the CTRL quick menu, you can't see it in the lower left. The only way to check is to remove the bomb/trap from my pockets back into my inventory to see how many I had left, then put it back into my pockets after I was done. Silly.

Heh yeah there are some pretty strange oversights in this game.

Tokubetsu

working my 2nd playthrough right now.
Decided to go with that Kayran trap...Guess you had to make more than one huh? haha. That climb up to it is pretty rough on hard too. Like one rock and you're fucked.

Fredescu

Cels said:
For example, you can craft cloth into a more advanced version -- but the game calls it Robust Cloth some places and Solid Cloth others.
I noticed this too. Possibly in trying to craft the Kayran armour.

Cels said:
Related to this, I find it annoying that you can't tell how many of a potion/bomb/oil you have from the alchemy screen. "While I'm here, do I need more X?" exit alchemy, cancel meditation, check inventory, enter meditation, enter alchemy, shit what was I making again?

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:
The trap is pretty useless. All it does is auto-slices a tenacle. Not worth it imo

Know that now haha. Also, act 2 spoiler:
When you fight the guy for the armor to stop the curse, you do it in that abandoned tower behind the whores' tent/camp. Is there anyway to get that other door open or is that just there and always locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom