• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arozay

Tokubetsu said:
It's a quest that you can do...in case you didn't know.
Yeah, by the time I did it though I think I was too late in to chapter II so I'd gather up his friends and nothing would happen, then they were all bugged out just singing all the time.

Yurt said:
Oh man I want it in all the chapters! I totally forgot about it.

Uhm, Deus Ex: Human Revolution no longer looks impressive after TW2.

Totally different look. One is natural and the other is clinical... Deus Ex is like Portal 2, it will benefit from massive AA and will look grand whether it is as graphically capable as Witcher 2 or not.

Tokubetsu said:
Know that now haha. Also, act 2 spoiler:
When you fight the guy for the armor to stop the curse, you do it in that abandoned tower behind the whores' tent/camp. Is there anyway to get that other door open or is that just there and always locked?
The Conspiracy Theory quest.

Toki767

So I'm kinda stuck at the beginning battle...tips would be welcome. I'm using a controller though I can switch to mouse and keyboard if that would be better.

Cels

Toki767 said:
So I'm kinda stuck at the beginning battle...tips would be welcome. I'm using a controller though I can switch to mouse and keyboard if that would be better.

Use quen. Don't get hit in the back. Roll, hit, and run.

Ugh... Got all the components to craft the draug armor except I'm now broke. What's a quick and easy way to earn orens in act 3? Is there a fist fight area?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Aeana said:
I wouldn't mind a mod to get rid of the heartbeat sound when using cat potions. There's something about that sound effect that makes me incredibly uneasy. I just did the mine thing in Vergen so I had to have one on at all times. Yergh.

this mission sucked ass. Dwarves were constantly getting in my way. I descended there two times more and liked it better without them although the combat challenge had become unbearable.

Varna said:
But even in TW1 you never really had to go out of your way for cash. Just do a decent amount of the side quest and you were good. Considering how many characters bitch about money being tight it would be cool if the gameplay reflected that.
After I posted that I realised that I'm playing with mods which make everything more expensive. Derp.

Gully State said:
Ugh... Got all the components to craft the draug armor except I'm now broke. What's a quick and easy way to earn orens in act 3? Is there a fist fight area?
I ran into a money issue then too. Try selling all your lesser mutagens. If that isnt an option prepare to play a whole lot of dice.

It's worth it though, the Draug Armor is the best looking one in the game imo. Add 3 magic wrap enhancements if you get more money (Bras sells them).

toasty_T said:
I ran into a money issue then too. Try selling all your lesser mutagens. If that isnt an option prepare to play a whole lot of dice.

It's worth it though, the Draug Armor is the best looking one in the game imo. Add 3 magic wrap enhancements if you get more money (Bras sells them).
I need essentially 750 orens. How do you consistently win at dice?

toasty_T said:

Speaking of dice, is there some way to win often I'm not aware of?

Van Buren

ThoseDeafMutes said:
F5.

Honestly though, two pairs is often beat by the opponent getting a lucky 3-of-a-kind roll. I find that trying to get three 1s is a lot easier than getting 3 6s - which was the case with the first game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ThoseDeafMutes said:

It's almost entirely a matter of luck, mostly when it comes to your first roll. If you get a high pair or better, you'll probably win, if not you probably won't. But sometimes it seemed the later dice players would get better rolls just to drag it out. It all doesn't really matter since the even the high stakes are so low, I just kept betting max till I won.

The only time dice mattered was when I spent all my money on whores only to find out I needed money to get important info from a NPC, so I had to keep beating her at dice until I could afford the info.

Gully State said:
I need essentially 750 orens. How do you consistently win at dice?
Quicksave and pray. It'll take you a while since you can only make around 50 orens per game.

No high stakes option kind of sucks.

dc89

:O

Brilliant game. As you can imagine, I'm not very far in at all.
"DRAGON! Quick get to the hoardings!"

Surprisingly enough, it runs quite nice on my machine! Very playable at medium settings and playable at high (strange enough).

Dat music. It's insanely good.

Snuggler said:
It's almost entirely a matter of luck, mostly when it comes to your first roll. If you get a high pair or better, you'll probably win, if not you probably won't. But sometimes it seemed the later dice players would get better rolls just to drag it out. It all doesn't really matter since the even the high stakes are so low, I just kept betting max till I won.

The only time dice mattered was when I spent all my money on whores only to find out I needed money to get important info from a NPC, so I had to keep beating her at dice until I could afford the info.

What exactly are the rules? I thought I was just trying to get an overall higher number than my opponent :/

You're telling me I'm supposed to be matching pairs?

Tokubetsu

dc89 said:
:O

Brilliant game. As you can imagine, I'm not very far in at all.
"DRAGON! Quick get to the hoardings!"

Surprisingly enough, it runs quite nice on my machine! Very playable at medium settings and playable at high (strange enough).

Dat music. It's insanely good.

Yes, the score IS amazing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ThoseDeafMutes said:
What exactly are the rules? I thought I was just trying to get an overall higher number than my opponent :/

I honestly couldn't tell if something like a full house (two pairs) counted, they didn't make that clear but maybe it was in the manual. I know the more advanced poker hands like straights don't matter. Like I said, it's mostly a matter of luck. You can see your opponents dice, if you have a pair or better, or at least higher numbered dice, you'll probably win as long as you select the other dice and re roll them. There is very little strategy involved.

ThoseDeafMutes said:

It's called dice poker for a reason :p

Zeliard

Fredescu said:
Pretty sure straights and full houses do count.

They do. There are two varieties of straights as well, five high and six high. But outside of a full house if you get a decent opening hand, the bigger hands aren't usually worth going for in my experience. I typically just win with a three-of-a-kind. Was the same in the first game, as I recall.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The scoring is like poker except with dice, hence dice poker.

Nothing < a pair < two pairs < three of a kind < four of a kind< a flush (5 consecutive numbers) < a full house ( 3 of a kind and a pair)

Also the higher the number the bettter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fredescu said:
Pretty sure straights and full houses do count.

eh, I figured straights didn't count since I had a few and still lost, but the AI must have somehow had a better hand

the poker boards looked way better in TW1 but maybe that's because they're real time in TW2

raphier

Banned
toasty_T said:
The scoring is like poker except with dice, hence dice poker.

Nothing < a pair < two pairs < three of a kind < four of a kind< a flush (5 consecutive numbers) < a full house ( 3 of a kind and a pair)

Also the higher the number the bettter.
Four of a kind wins fullhouse in dice poker. I don't know whether its a bug, but that's the case

kpx0

Banned
just got this game and played about 3 hrs... the only really glaring flaw i see is the lack of polish when interacting with the enviroment... it is extremely easy to miss standing on that one spot to pick up loot and many times if you are in a small room with loot on the ground, a coupe of doors, and wall torches,.... left clicking can give you a random action

ThoseDeafMutes said:
No see, I didn't know it was called Dice Poker. All he ever says is LETS PLAY SOME DICE.

I win 90% of the time when I play DICE, it's a matter of choosing the right dice to remove when you re-roll. It's not really very hard at all. I wish there was a way to gamble in real life that was that easy to win!

Tokubetsu

ColonialRaptor said:
I win 90% of the time when I play DICE, it's a matter of choosing the right dice to remove when you re-roll. It's not really very hard at all. I wish there was a way to gamble in real life that was that easy to win!

Yep. Sometimes the A.I. is full of shit but most of the time, it basically comes down to you re-rolling whatever isn't a pair or the lowest pair.

Aeana

This game.
It's almost 6 AM. I've been up all night playing it; can't seem to put it down.

The quests are interwoven better than a lot of games. I really appreciate it, as I've been led along the main story quests pretty nicely as I've been doing sidequests (which also interweave nicely). They're also really awesome. I just did the quest about Baltimore's dream - that was pretty cool!

Aeana

subversus said:
Did you find the door without resorting to the manual?
I couldn't figure out what to do next after finding the key, but then I found the next part by accident.
When I was looking around, I came across the troll and when I was going to find his mate, I saw the wrecked ship. I remembered the "plight" and "drowned soul" part of the thing, so I just decided to meditate until noon and went to where the shadow pointed.

The middle part of that quest is really vague, and I'm wondering if it's a translation issue or something.

I'm sure I could have managed with the weight, but I have a tendency to hoard every piece of loot I find. I only had one set of equipment at a time, it was the ingredients that always threw me off.

There needs to be a way to distinguish between the elements of the alchemy ingredients. If I knew I had 100+ Rebis I'd stop picking it up. Maybe have the element symbol next to the loot and be able to seprate the elements in the inventory. Sorting paramaters like weight and value would be useful too.

Minsc

Gold Member
Solo said:
I dont think my inventory was EVER more than maybe 200/250. TOTAL non-issue for non OCD players.

Did you use a pad? As you can only "take all" when picking stuff up, makes it impossible I think unless you just don't loot stuff at all.

Solo said:
I dont think my inventory was EVER more than maybe 200/250. TOTAL non-issue for non OCD players.

Yeah, I reached the limit once, but it was because I was carrying a polearm, 4 axes, 3 short swords, 4 daggers, etc., in addition to my two swords. Unnecessary=overload.

ashk

I have 300 inventory maximum capacity because of a ability I got, but I can't remember how or where I got it :/ And I still have too much stuff to carry :p

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Final question should i start over the game or loading a gAme just before the choice would be enougj?

Kyaw

ashk said:
I have 300 inventory maximum capacity because of a ability I got, but I can't remember how or where I got it :/ And I still have too much stuff to carry :p

You get it if you spared Aryan La Valette's life apparently.

dgenx said:
Final question should i start over the game or loading a gAme just before the choice would be enougj?

Loading before the choice should be enough.

Solo said:

I'm in the middle of act II and I don't think my inventory has been under 270 since the beginning of act 1. I have kept my silver sword from the first game, mostly due to the circumstances under which you get it, even though it is no longer useful, but I only have my equipped weapons and armor otherwise (with the occasional exception of a piece of armor that might be better than what I have equipped when I get good enhancements).

It's mostly Iron and monster parts that say they work for crafting weighing me down. Most alchemy ingredients are weightless, so I have no problem carrying 50 of them, but things like Endrega hide and Rotfiend tongues are hard to drop because I never know when they will come up in a recipe. I almost made the Jagged sword in chapter 1, but I was two endrega teeth short due to making some other recipe that used them.

I would love to have kept things like the Guisarme or the rake for fun, but I just don't have the carrying capacity. I also forgot about all the junk items for much of the first chapter, since they don't come up under any of the item categories except "all," so I rarely noticed them.

You get the extra 50 capacity if you convince Aryan to surrender.

You find Aryan in the dungeon being tortured. You can help him escape by holding him up and dragging him
The ability is called Strong Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom