• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Im almost positive theres a piece of armor in Act 3 that you can get that will add 5 to your capacity....or was it 10? I cant remember. I just know that something happened in Act 3 that raised my capacity.

gdt

I'm gonna play soon...but this time I'll run all my errands beforehand lol. Gotta shave....pick up some paperwork at the doctor's....deposit some money.....then head back into Flotsam.

I don't wanna miss anything, so I busted out the game guide I got from the retail edition, just using it to find all of the sidequests.

Salaadin

The dwarves in this game are hilarious. I love the beginning of Act 2
with such gems as "By the milk of Mother Creatix(sp?) tits!" and "Prince Penis"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Aeana said:
When I was looking around, I came across the troll and when I was going to find his mate, I saw the wrecked ship. I remembered the "plight" and "drowned soul" part of the thing, so I just decided to meditate until noon and went to where the shadow pointed.

wow, that was badass. I accidentally bumped in it doing The Mystic River quest.

Also yeah,
I didn't know that I had to go to THAT chest.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Salaadin said:
The dwarves in this game are hilarious. I love the beginning of Act 2
with such gems as "By the milk of Mother Creatix(sp?) tits!" and "Prince Penis"

wait till you get to one of the final scenes when you've to watch the sorceress doing her work.

Salaadin

In Fight Club: Flotsam, I
rigged the fight this time and deliberately lost so I can get some orens. Afterwards, they tell me I failed the quest and I get thrown outside where Dandelion yells at me. Is this right? To me, it seemed that you can pass the quest by either winning or losing the fight because the quest itself presents you with those options.

hteng

Banned
Salaadin said:
In Fight Club: Flotsam, I
rigged the fight this time and deliberately lost so I can get some orens. Afterwards, they tell me I failed the quest and I get thrown outside where Dandelion yells at me. Is this right? To me, it seemed that you can pass the quest by either winning or losing the fight because the quest itself presents you with those options.

you basically failed the quest Ziggy gave you.

Salaadin

hteng said:
you basically failed the quest Ziggy gave you.

Ok, that makes sense.
I like how the quest log updates anyways to show your failings. It says something like "In the end, this quest wasnt too different from regular witchers work. Geralt put his body on the line and suffered a few cuts and bruises...all for a handful of orens"

scy

Salaadin said:
Im almost positive theres a piece of armor in Act 3 that you can get that will add 5 to your capacity....or was it 10? I cant remember. I just know that something happened in Act 3 that raised my capacity.

There's a pair of Gloves you get for arm wrestling Numa that add 5 to your capacity. I have no idea if the quest is Roche path only or not as I'm not that far on my Iorveth playthrough.

As for the weight limit, I had 300 on my first playthrough and it was never enough. It's not a case of weapons/armor, it's a case of 10-12 of the Alchemy Ingeredients taking up 20-30 pounds a piece and a fear of needing them later. For instance, I couldn't make Ysgith runes at the end of the game due to no Nekker Teeth (I think?), one of the ingredients I started selling off to make due for space early on. Though, I had enough money at the end to just buy them all due to possibly a bug that lets you re-challenge Pangratt in Roche Chapter 2 for 200 Orens a shot at arm wrestling (every other final opponent is a one-shot challenge that I know of).

Honestly, I'd be fine with just an all Alchemy/Crafting ingredients weight reduction mod but all the ones I did use seem to forget quite a few so I just went all-out and reduced them all to 0 =/ Maybe this won't be an issue on my eventual Alchemy playthrough where I use most of them (and/or know which ingredients I'll need to keep down the road).

Coldsnap

Man... game puts you in some really complex moral situations.
For instance I got to the part where Vernon wants revenge on the King. I realized at this point I didn't agree with Vernons quest for revenge and thought he should just let it go, me allowing him to kill a king would make me become exactly what I've been hunting down this whole time; a king killer. Although I wasn't ready to tell him no in fear that his hunger for revenge would force his hand in attacking me and I wasn't about to kill a guy I've been hanging out with for most the game. So I let him kill the king and felt dirty. At least I have Yves some justice.

I usually don't re-play games but I'm thinking I might have to with this game, I'm really curious to see how the game branches. I also ignored Alchemy (besides bombs) for the most part this run and sorta want to explore spell signs + alchemy.

Tokubetsu

Coldsnap said:
Man... game puts you in some really complex moral situations.
For instance I got to the part where Vernon wants revenge on the King. I realized at this point I didn't agree with Vernons quest for revenge and thought he should just let it go, me allowing him to kill a king would make me become exactly what I've been hunting down this whole time; a king killer. Although I wasn't ready to tell him no in fear that his hunger for revenge would force his hand in attacking me and I wasn't about to kill a guy I've been hanging out with for most the game. So I let him kill the king and felt dirty. At least I have Yves some justice.

I usually don't re-play games but I'm thinking I might have to with this game, I'm really curious to see how the game branches. I also ignored Alchemy (besides bombs) for the most part this run and sorta want to explore spell signs + alchemy.

The interesting and totally fucked part of that decision is you're torn between what's good for the kingdom and what's good for your friend. The bastard fucking DESERVES the pigsticking and you owe it to Roche but at the same time you know the north will be worse off for it. I let him do it. Plough 'em all.

Zefah said:
Having played through it twice now, I'm pretty sure that only exists in the prologue. Probably a bug, or just something where they ran out of time.
Cutting arms? No, in Flotsam you can do it too. Are you guys picking fights with the neutral guards with little armor on? The ragdoll and physics system is cool, sliced the arm of a guy and it started rolling down a hill, too bad the bodies dissapper so fast.
gdt5016 said:
Ugh. That's kinda dumb, imo. Geralt should know how to make Cat and Swallow by now. But okay, time to hunt down Swallow.
It makes sense to keep the diagrams and formulas to make items. We can't expect a chef to remember all of his receipes, can we?
Cels said:
Gameplay-wise I wouldn't have minded the carry-limit that much if there was a STORAGE just like there was in the first game. That way I wouldn't be carrying around everything I needed (crafting material like extra monster parts, iron/silver/oil) absolutely everywhere...I managed, it was just annoying though.
The magical storage system of the first game doesn't make much sense, but that doesn't matter. Te game doesn't need the user to storage anything. It also matches the Witcher's character, who is a nomad, moving constantly.
Zeliard said:
Poor gamepad users can't even loot items individually. I imagine those unfortunate souls have a more troublesome time with inventory management.
Only used pad here, no problems once you get used to what's necesary. Menu navigation could be better that's a fact. A couple of obvious tips for pad users, that might been overlooked:
-Junk goes to the "all item taps", always at the bottom.
-As junk its easy to miss you might have a lot of weight coming from it.
-Since CDprojekt didn't want to use the triggers as "page up" or "page down", for quick scroll just leave the thumbstick or directional pad pressed, it will start to scroll a lot faster.
-Crafting items such as elemental stones, runes, timber, iron, leather, silver take a lot of weight. And you don't need more than 4-7 at a time to craft an important item.
-Also you don't need to be dragging lots of crafting items because you can make what you need at the black smith with diagrams and he also sales you the ingredients.
-Books, formulas, diagrams, plants, dusts, etc doesn't have or have little weight.
-Creature drops, for my experience you don't need to carry more than 7-15 depending of how much crap you craft.
Salaadin said:
Cedric's Elven armor in chapter 1 gives you 15 extra, that's what i used my whole first run because i like how it looked. I remember in chaper 3 there was one armor with a lot more capacity so it might add 30-50 to weight and some gauntlets in that chapter that added 10.

Despera

Banned
Zeliard said:
Poor gamepad users can't even loot items individually. I imagine those unfortunate souls have a more troublesome time with inventory management.

Weight mods are for the weak, though. :>
Playing this game with a gamepad + the zero weight mod is fantastic.

Having no weight to items doesn't ruin the experience one bit. The weight limit is already at an unrealistic level, so why not eliminate it along with the headaches it causes.

Coldsnap

Tokubetsu said:
The interesting and totally fucked part of that decision is you're torn between what's good for the kingdom and what's good for your friend. The bastard fucking DESERVES the pigsticking and you owe it to Roche but at the same time you know the north will be worse off for it. I let him do it. Plough 'em all.

Yea, haahaa. I sat at the select response screen and was like hmmm bros or kingdom. Then I remember the night in Flotsam where we got really drunk got in a fist fight and I woke up outside in the morning with a neck tattoo. Had to go with Roche.

I recommend doing a playthrough where you dump all your points into alchemy.

The initial lack of defensive options (it never stops being an issue) is rewarded with the ability to dish out absurdly high damage once the poison damage boosts and beserk mode become available after taking a potion or two and oiling up.

The back damage reduction ability makes rolling this way a lot easier but it takes away from the fun imo.

Zeliard

toasty_T said:
I recommend doing a playthrough where you dump all your points into alchemy.

The initial lack of defensive options (it never stops being an issue) is rewarded with the ability to dish out absurdly high damage once the poison damage boosts and beserk mode become available after taking a potion or two and oiling up.

The back damage reduction ability makes rolling this way a lot easier but it takes away from the fun imo.

Yep. I went Alchemy with super dodge-rolling ability. Someone earlier in this thread was saying that Alchemy is only useful for the earlier skills. Just craziness.

The poison buffs later in the tree are immense, especially if you get some of the other potion upgrades in the Alchemy tree, like the one that adds +35% to the effects and reduces negatives by something like 80%. You then get the natural buffs from the potions, increased even more with those upgrades, and then extra buffs from having taken "too many" of them. So it's just buffs stacked on top of buffs. You just become a wrecking machine in combat.

1stStrike

Banned
So, I'm about half way through chapter 3 now and I did the
Operator battle
last night. I wasn't able to do this on my first play through due to not going through the Roche path.

First of all, holy shit at the battle. Hardest battle in the game and not because of anything in particular about the battle itself - the controls really suffered in that tiny room. The only thing that was able to get me through the battle was lowering the difficulty to easy, keeping quen up at all times and using the berserk on the signs tree to slow everything down since I had to clunkily change weapons depending on who I was attacking. I even had one time where I had him almost dead, went to throw a bomb and the controls got stuck, allowing me to do nothing at all.

Took me about 10 tries to get through, but man, that
staff you get is fucking crazy. I made the +30 armor as well (the Vran armor?) and I'm super pimp now. It's a damn shame you're only pimp for like the last hour or two of the game, though.

Solo

The mage path becomes a joke once your Quen is uber and reflets damage back onto peeps. Haven't tried alchemy. I'm a sword bro.

Coldsnap

I've gone pretty far into sword and the two alchemy buffs on bombs. I'm starting chapter 3 and I think I'm going to start dumping points into spells.

Tokubetsu

Solo said:
The mage path becomes a joke once your Quen is uber and reflets damage back onto peeps. Haven't tried alchemy. I'm a sword bro.

I think all the trees are pretty OP once you get down into them. First playthrough I went total sword bro and I basically one hit killed everything in Chapter 3 if I got a backstab/hit. Riposte/Counterattack also killed most everything in one hit, or left them with a sliver of health. On everything else, I had so much percentage to increase crits that heavy sword swings just demolished anything else.

Coldsnap

Tokubetsu said:
I think all the trees are pretty OP once you get down into them. First playthrough I went total sword bro and I basically one hit killed everything in Chapter 3 if I got a backstab/hit. Riposte/Counterattack also killed most everything in one hit, or left them with a sliver of health. On everything else, I had so much percentage to increase crits that heavy sword swings just demolished anything else.

How does counterattack work?

Tokubetsu

Coldsnap said:
How does counterattack work?

Hold block, that little lock on icon you see on enemies will flash a white sword really quickly and if you hit light attack in that window, geralt will attack quickly before their attack connect hits. Typically does a great deal of damage if you can do it. It's really tricky to get though and I honestly don't really recommend it. The window is brief as hell and it's only really handy against human enemies but even then, if you're surrounded, they can hit you mid animation.

Salaadin said:
Ok, that makes sense.
I like how the quest log updates anyways to show your failings. It says something like "In the end, this quest wasnt too different from regular witchers work. Geralt put his body on the line and suffered a few cuts and bruises...all for a handful of orens"
Did you liked the world cup reference? Plus it nets you a lot more orens.
Despera said:
Playing this game with a gamepad + the zero weight mod is fantastic.

Having no weight to items doesn't ruin the experience one bit. The weight limit is already at an unrealistic level, so why not eliminate it along with the headaches it causes.
But it does, its cheating. Of course it's your choice nothing wrong with that. The point i try to make when i adress the wight limit topic is that it's not a fuck up on devs part.

But it has it effects. Alters gameplay, fucks decision making and planing, player choice becomes irrelevant. Reduces merchants visits and disregards their positioning.

Zeliard

Tokubetsu said:

It would be pretty cool if CD Projekt released some rebalancing patch that made some substantial changes to enemy difficulty levels.

I don't have a problem with the difficulty at the start at all, but it is sort of unfortunate that the game gets easier towards the end due to the talents you amass, when it should ideally be rougher.

That's also another thing about the talent trees; if you look at them, most of those talents are hugely significant. There are a few that don't do too much with their level 1 upgrades, but most are quite substantial in the changes/additions they make.

I really want more asses to kick with the crazy end game equipment/talents.

I hardly got to use the awesome sword that I found in Dethmold's
sex dungeon
:(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
But it has it effects. Alters gameplay, fucks decision making and planing, player choice becomes irrelevant. Reduces merchants visits and disregards their positioning.

I would rather not deal with all of that and focus on questing. I don't enjoy inventory management and I don't like to go back and forth to sell stuff. I'm just removing an aspect that would hinder my enjoyment of the game.

I basically left Oblivion because of inventory management.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
Did you liked the world cup reference? Plus it nets you a lot more orens.

But it does, its cheating. Of course it's your choice nothing wrong with that. The point i try to make when i adress the wight limit topic is that it's not a fuck up on devs part.

I think they should just patch in innkeeper storage like the first game and be done with it. We'd have no reason to complain then.

I personally never hit the limit. My worst was 237/250 but I realized that I was carrying 40-60 of some items and cut those in half, got rid of some of the heavier items. It was fine.

I think its mainly a problem if you want to carry multiple swords/equips with you.

KKRT00

polygamia.pl quite big polish gaming site had today interview with CDProject Red that they will publish tomorrow after CDP conference, but look at this shirt

z9705023Q.jpg

source: http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,94534,9704905,Nagralismy_taki_jeden_wywiad.html?bo=1

Refreshment.01 said:

Nah. I got up to a 350 weight limit, which is more than enough for anything you need to carry around, and doesn't really force you to make any planning or decision making. The only real difference is that you don't have to sell off all the armor and weapons you come across, which is what takes up most of the weight. And yeah, there's not much practical reason to hang onto lesser equipment, but they're often unique and I don't want to just sell them off.

scy

Salaadin said:
I think its mainly a problem if you want to carry multiple swords/equips with you.

Before I caved in and went all 0, I had no extra weapons or armor on me. I still suffered around 250-270 on a regular basis due to components. I had 200+ even with some of the no-weight Alchemy/Crafting mods since they (at the time) didn't include everything. It got to the point I crafted new equipment that was worse statistically but weighed less and, frankly, that's just ridiculous.

Now that I know basically everything I'll need to keep (basically, just Moon Rune and Magic Wrap components for my Mage playthrough) it's not a huge issue but it's an annoyance that doesn't need to be there. Could've used a skill or something to increase weight capacity if nothing else.

Refreshment.01 said:

I play with a no weight mod and I sell every time I return to town (or make trips just when I notice a lot of weapons when I open the inventory). All the mod does is removes the tedium of looting, going over weight, and then figuring out what item(s) I can get ditch that has the worst cost/weight ratio.

I understand that not all people will go that route but I don't consider it making player choice irrelevant.

lotrfan

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
It would be pretty cool if CD Projekt released some rebalancing patch that made some substantial changes to enemy difficulty levels.

I don't have a problem with the difficulty at the start at all, but it is sort of unfortunate that the game gets easier towards the end due to the talents you amass, when it should ideally be rougher.

But making regular soldiers and monsters tougher just because you are tougher undermines the whole upgrading your skills. I expect it to be easier to defeat regular soldiers and monsters as I upgrade. That is a part of RPG’s that I love. Having different yet stronger monsters or soldiers is the solution and that is what they did. Those could have been tougher or have more of them but I thought they were fine.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Try playing on hard or insane.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Coldsnap said:
Quick yes/no question; Is saving Triss a good idea? I want my girl back...

What path ? actually in both paths you'll see AWESOME stuff happening if you go the other route.

Despera

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:

No one said devs fucked up. Some people love to manage their inventory in games like these, I don't. I can't be bothered deciding which plough'n sword I have to drop out of the 20 I'm carrying. Game already has many aspects that require actual strategic decision making.

Decay24

Neo Member
Tokubetsu said:
Yeah and theres still a door in there that's locked. Or was on that first playthrough. After you kill everyone in the room.

I do believe that door is for Iorveth Act 2.
You have two options to get into the Kedwani camp. Go around to the beach area and sneak in or go there. I went to the beach for my first playthrough. We'll see what lies in that doorway later

Solo

Coldsnap said:
Ah, I see. Thought this was another branching path.

Its a branching path in that you will experience something different with whatever choice you make, but the paths eventually converge to the same point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom