• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Solo said:
Don't think it has an effect on the endgame either way, sadly.

I didn't like the ending when I saved Triss
Ior/Roche gets gravely wounded for going all out alone and you don't see him in the last scene.

Its a branching path in that you will experience something different with whatever choice you make, but the paths eventually converge to the same point.

It's a superior experience if you don't. I wouldn't want to miss
getting the dagger/revenge

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
The mage path becomes a joke once your Quen is uber and reflets damage back onto peeps. Haven't tried alchemy. I'm a sword bro.
Quen III is ridiculous. I played mage/sword on my first playthrough, and it was indeed a total joke. I'm not complaining. I love Quen.

Disclaimer: Like i said is a matter of personal choice, whatever makes the game more enjoyable to you guys is what's important :D But it's not a misstep on the devs part like some of us seem to think.
scy said:
Before I caved in and went all 0, I had no extra weapons or armor on me. I still suffered around 250-270 on a regular basis due to components. I had 200+ even with some of the no-weight Alchemy/Crafting mods since they (at the time) didn't include everything. It got to the point I crafted new equipment that was worse statistically but weighed less and, frankly, that's just ridiculous.
No extra weapons or mods and over 200? You were stashing way too many crafting items then, specially ones with lots of weight.
scy said:
I play with a no weight mod and I sell every time I return to town (or make trips just when I notice a lot of weapons when I open the inventory).All the mod does is removes the tedium of looting, going over weight, and then figuring out what item(s) I can get ditch that has the worst cost/weight ratio.

I understand that not all people will go that route but I don't consider it making player choice irrelevant.
But that's the point of item management and planing in RPG's. I.E. do i keep this great sword against Wraits or keep this one with less damage but better rounded stats? It might be a very interesting desicion for the user to make when he doesn't know what lies ahead. Why sacrifice this for a small convinience?
Yurt said:
I would rather not deal with all of that and focus on questing. I don't enjoy inventory management and I don't like to go back and forth to sell stuff. I'm just removing an aspect that would hinder my enjoyment of the game.

I basically left Oblivion because of inventory management.
Don't even know what to say...You just aren't into one of the genre most distinctive conventions.
Despera said:
No one said devs fucked up. Some people love to manage their inventory in games like these, I don't. I can't be bothered deciding which plough'n sword I have to drop out of the 20 I'm carrying. Game already has many aspects that require actual strategic decision making.
Don't get me wrong man, maybe you didn't but there's been some implying that they fuck up with the weight limit stablishment.

Salaadin

thetrin said:
Quen III is ridiculous. I played mage/sword on my first playthrough, and it was indeed a total joke. I'm not complaining. I love Quen.

Quen is my most used sign in the game. Funny considering that I never touched it in TW1.

Refreshment.01 said:
No extra weapons or mods and over 200? You were stashing way too many crafting items then, specially ones with lots of weight.

I find this to be 100% true. Most of the time when Im clearing out inventory, I notice that Im carrying 41 Iron or 67 Nekker teeth. Way more than Id ever need. I usually just keep 10-15 of each.

Minsc

Gold Member
Refreshment.01 said:
But that's the point of item management and planing in RPG's. I.E. do i keep this great sword against Wraits or keep this one with less damage but better rounded stats? It might be a very interesting desicion for the user to make when he doesn't know what lies ahead. Why sacrifice this for a small convinience?

No storage/stash and no grid format kills most of my enjoyable from inventory management. Diablo 2 and RE4 had it right. When it's not a visual puzzle, it's a lot less fun. I get what you're saying about picking some equipment over something else, that adds some depth to the game.

List inventories put me in a Final Fantasy mindframe though. 99x of everything, never to be used.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Refreshment.01 no one is saying the developers fucked up. I see where you're coming from, it's just a personal preference.

Salaadin said:
I find this to be 100% true. Most of the time when Im clearing out inventory, I notice that Im carrying 41 Iron or 67 Nekker teeth. Way more than Id ever need. I usually just keep 10-15 of each.
Yes, also there's the odd alchemy ingridient that almost gets no use and weights a lot.
Minsc said:
No storage/stash and no grid format kills most of my enjoyable from inventory management. Diablo 2 and RE4 had it right. When it's not a visual puzzle, it's a lot less fun. I get what you're saying about picking some equipment over something else, that adds some depth to the game.

List inventories put me in a Final Fantasy mindframe though. 99x of everything, never to be used.
This is a fleshed out complain of the inventory system, it does need improvement.
Yurt said:
Refreshment.01 no one is saying the developers fucked up. I see where you're coming from, it's just a personal preference.
Maybe "fucked up" was a strong choice of words but theres been considerable complains in regards to the weight implementation in this very topic, when the fault is more on the user side.

scy

Refreshment.01 said:
Disclaimer: Like i said is a matter of personal choice, whatever makes the game more enjoyable to you guys is what's important :D But it's not a misstep on the devs part like some of us seem to think.

I don't think it's a misstep on the devs part (barring the sheer amount of items thrust upon you). Hell, Herbalist Gloves DLC makes things worse as you double your loot intake, essentially.

Well, obviously. And that was my point; it's not weapons and armor that bog the system down, it's the crafting components. As far as Alchemy is concerned, most are interchangeable so you can ditch a lot of them; Crafting wise, though, they require specific components and unless you ascertain early on which you'll want in droves (i.e., Moon Runes for a Mage build), you can't really just sell off everything and hope for the best unless you literally cannot care less.

Not all enemy types are prevalent throughout the game so replacing some of them isn't really possible so a bad choice early on screws you over at the end of game based off of inventory woes and not gameplay decisions. I'm fine that I missed the Operator fight on my first playthrough due to a dumb mistake; I wouldn't be fine with not making a certain weapon/armor because I sold one too many Arach Eyes.

Again, it's irrelevant with Weapon/Armor. That's not the problem. You can easily see which of these is/isn't useful at a cursory glance. It's the pages upon pages of Alchemy/Crafting ingredients that all take up small amounts of space individually. And, honestly, I never found a reason to use anything besides the best listed damage Steel/Silver combination.

I perfectly understand weapon/armor choices as part of inventory system management. I don't like it with crafting. If there's a mod that covers every Alchemy/Crafting component, I'll happily use that and reduce the weight capacity to 100-ish just for weapon/armor.

Salaadin

For those who were around for the original Witcher 1 and then the enchanced edition....were there any inventory changes made between the two versions? Im wondering if theres a chance that CDPR will patch in an inventory revamp.

Van Buren

Salaadin said:
For those who were around for the original Witcher 1 and then the enchanced edition....were there any inventory changes made between the two versions? Im wondering if theres a chance that CDPR will patch in an inventory revamp.

Sorting was added I think, and the storage space was doubled as well (might have been inventory space too). So, yeah, if there's adequate feedback, they've been known to listen.

Zeliard

scy said:
I perfectly understand weapon/armor choices as part of inventory system management. I don't like it with crafting. If there's a mod that covers every Alchemy/Crafting component, I'll happily use that and reduce the weight capacity to 100-ish just for weapon/armor.

Except that the weight limit is largely meant to balance out the crafting. If you can carry 100 units worth of crafting material alone, don't you think that perhaps messes with the balance when it comes to, well, crafting? Suddenly you can craft a lot more than you should be able to, and either use that stuff or sell it.

These limitations are here for a reason. There's even some mod that makes blocking use up no vigor. What? These mods are imbalancing the game you're playing.

My character is focused on Alchemy and I have rarely run into weight limit issues. Clear out the junk, don't carry more than 10-20 of anything, buy diagrams, craft stuff.

Some of you guys are probably carrying like 30 Endrega hides and wondering where that excess weight comes from.

scy said:
I don't think it's a misstep on the devs part (barring the sheer amount of items thrust upon you). Hell, Herbalist Gloves DLC makes things worse as you double your loot intake, essentially.
Hold on, i thought Herbalist gloves duplicated the amount of plants you collected not other loot items. And since plants don't weight...

As for the rest of your post, i think falls on the user the responsability to monitor ingredients consumption when making potions or items. That´s an aspect of learning the game that's integral to the experience. So my first few potions i checked my inventory and saw how it affected the stock, then from there i planned acordingly what was worth to carry around.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Except that the weight limit is largely meant to balance out the crafting. If you can carry 100 units worth of crafting material alone, don't you think that perhaps messes with the balance when it comes to, well, crafting? Suddenly you can craft a lot more than you should be able to, and either use that stuff or sell it.

These limitations are here for a reason. There's even some mod that makes blocking use up no vigor. What? These mods are imbalancing the game you're playing.

My character is focused on Alchemy and I have rarely run into weight limit issues. Clear out the junk, don't carry more than 10-20 of anything, buy diagrams, craft stuff.

Some of you guys are probably carrying like 30 Endrega hides and wondering where that excess weight comes from.

The mods that nerf quen scare me the most. No quen and no armor and you die in one hit from normal combat on hard, I forgot to equip my armor once after it was taken away, and I'm very thankful I wasn't playing on insane.

I think coming from using a gamepad where you have to loot everything at once, inventory management seems like too much of a chore, going in and dropping a lot of stuff you didn't want when you need to loot a single item.

scy

Zeliard said:

That one's a little different and I'm unfortunately using it since the Combat rebalance mod I've found has it. Really need to remove that, to be honest. That said, it's not like it's more imbalancing than Quen's default state which I really hope gets patched or something. Thouh, my Quen-less playthrough has been far more fun than my first one.

I know fairly well where all the weight was coming from but was too hesitant to offload all of it if only due to worries of what will be needed down the road based off most the issues people were having with the game as is (ingredients accidentally being used, missing items, etc.).

As for balancing, my first playthrough basically ignored Crafting/Alchemy anyway, which makes the hoarding make all the less sense. The only issue I ran into was Ysgith Rune production due to selling off the components prior to the mod. Even then, I just vendor purchased to cover the slack so, ultimately, it didn't matter. And, that's what it comes down to. It really didn't matter.

That said, I'll probably remove the mods and see how it fares now that I know what items are actually useful. And definitely going to remove it prior to my Alchemy-build playthrough since, yes, if you're Alchemy focused than having an essentially infinite supply does break things.

Refreshment.01 said:
Hold on, i thought Herbalist gloves duplicated the amount of plants you collected not other loot items. And since plants don't wieght...

As far as I can tell, it doubles basically all crafting/alchemy related loot. That or most the loot in the game drops in 2s/3s as is and I only noticed after equipping them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Salaadin said:

Don't rule out anything with CDPR.

Finished Act 2 last night (Roche path). Maybe it was because Act 2 was way more action driven but it felt a lot shorter than Act 1. I wanted more sidequests in Act 2 but I suppose that'll be motivation for me to do a second playthrough.

Some mechanics thoughts.

So yeah I'm at the point where combat is a lot easier and to be honest I don't have a problem with that. I think the main problem with combat at this point though is that Quen upgraded is overpowered in general. If you're going to keep the effects as is, I feel as though it needs to be both higher on the magic tree as well as have a larger use penalty (one vigor bar taken up when I have 4 bars total allows me keep Quen up and use other abilities).

One issue I do have with combat though is that the game likes to put you in cramped areas against groups of enemies without giving you proper crowd control abilities (Quen makes the fight skewed towards your favor but I'd rather have a more active ability than a passive one).

I haven't seen this on the thread yet but enemy AI is a bit on the wonky side. Enemies have a fixed zone of terror and they'll disengages you the minute you get out of it which makes abusing it really easily (Basically run in and out of the border- enemy mobs will kinda do this confusing dance).

Finally, put me on the side that hates the weight limit. I'm playing with it as default but I'm going to mod it with my next playthrough. As it is, the way they do inventory is unrealistic already (carrying multiple pieces of armor/weapons). It serves very little purpose other than to detract from the main game. It doesn't immerse me in the world in fact it takes me out of it by having me constantly go into a menu (gamepad player here). Navigating through it is also a bit of a pain and why even bother with junk items?

Ferrio

Banned
Complistic said:
I must confess I'm using the mod that gives you 500 inventory space.

No shame in that. The games system doesn't work with a weight limit at all. I can't imagine why they even put one in. You have items you can't get rid of, and if you do you're no longer able to craft stuff etc... That and alchemy requires you to have a ton of supplies on hand at any time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Complistic said:
I must confess I'm using the mod that gives you 500 inventory space.

There ain't no shame in that.

I'm using the 0 weight mod.

Zeliard

fizzelopeguss said:
meh, fuck you guys. I have unlimited inventory, 60 minute potions and bumped that bitch up to hard.

Alchemy-focused Geralt just shed some tears. There's a talent node in the alchemy tree literally for that very purpose. :p

The game gets pretty easy later on even on Hard difficulty. Not sure why you guys are looking to make it easier. Something like the Quen nerf makes much more sense to me, though even then, I pretty much just ignored that spell entirely in my playthrough after the first few hours.

Ferrio said:
No shame in that. The games system doesn't work with a weight limit at all. I can't imagine why they even put one in. You have items you can't get rid of, and if you do you're no longer able to craft stuff etc... That and alchemy requires you to have a ton of supplies on hand at any time.
And some of you guys said there's no people saying devs fucked up. Check this one out Yurk. :D

@Ferrio, from my side i think the game loses something important if you remove that limitation and if you learn all the aspects of the alchemy system you won't need some many crafting stuff.
Zeliard said:
Alchemy-focused Geralt just shed some tears. There's a talent node in the alchemy tree literally for that very purpose. :p

The game gets pretty easy later on even on Hard difficulty. Not sure why you guys are looking to make it easier. Something like the Quen nerf makes much more sense to me, though even then, I pretty much just ignored that spell entirely in my playthrough after the first few hours.
I second your dificulty observations. I've always played on hard and even avoided high end armor, due to me liking Cedric one.

Haint

Refreshment.01 said:

Personal choice only goes so far. Some people probably want to die in one hit, or have bosses that wipe their saves. That doesn't mean implementing those features as default mandates wouldn't be a fuck up or a misstep. When it's something the majority of players clearly have issues with and do not enjoy (which seems to be the case based on complaints), it's a fuck up and a misstep IMO. There are always going to be contrarians, masochists, and super nerds that want hardcore, punishing, 100% realism. These people are a minority and do not fund mainstream $10,000,000+ projects. Sorry, but them's the breaks. If you want shit like that, look to the past, the indie scene, or stick to pen and paper. No one here is bitching about the lack of a win button (Fable) or calling for it to be turned into an action adventure game (Mass Effect)--they're simply pointing out the weight system (as is) doesn't really work with the crafting and alchemy systems they have in place (for the majority of players).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zeliard said:

I'd also nerf bombs and daggers. Or components should be harder to find.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Pankaks said:
There ain't no shame in that.

I'm using the 0 weight mod.

Where do you get that? I'm tired of not picking crafting materials or monster loot because i'm scared of hitting to weight limit too fast. Then i found a recipe and can't make new items because i didn't grab enough of the mats sooner... FFFUUUUUU

scy

I'm all for making the game harder, I just see lack of weight more of a solution to tedium than to difficulty. Give me a mod that makes the combat significantly harder and I'm down for that.

I kind of want to see how long I'd survive on a Naked Geralt Insane run >>

Ferrio

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
@Ferrio, from my side i think the game loses something important if you remove that limitation and if you learn all the aspects of the alchemy system you won't need some many crafting stuff.

I think it's bad game design. Putting that weight limit for "difficulty" purposes is a very lazy fix. It doesn't even make the game more difficult, just frustrating with constant inventory management. I mean I don't mind other games where I have to figure out what to drop. But of course that usually consists of whole other sets of armor/weapons/huge items.... not tons and tons of tiny flowers/books/recipes/traps/potions I have to sift through and figure out which I need and which I don't.

Exuro

I don't find the weight system bad, I find the inventory management bad to the point where I don't want to deal with searching through items. They really need to add a junk category as well as make each category have some sort of "by item type" or "alphabetically". It's too frustrating to manage weight when the inventory is so cumbersome.

Reallink said:
Personal choice only goes so far. Some people probably want to die in one hit, or have bosses that wipe their saves. That doesn't mean implementing those features wouldn't be a fuck up or a misstep. When it's something the majority of players clearly have issues with and do not enjoy (which seems to be the case based on complaints), it's a fuck up and a misstep IMO. There are always going to be contrarians, masochists, and super nerds that want hardcore, punishing, 100% realism. These people are a minority and do not fund mainstream $10,000,000+ projects. Sorry, but them's the breaks. If you want shit like that, look to the past, the indie scene, or stick to pen and paper. No one here is bitching about the lack of a win button (Fable) or calling for it to be turned into an action adventure game (Mass Effect)--they're simply pointing out the weight system (as is) doesn't really work with the crafting and alchemy systems they have in place (for the majority of players).
Or some people are overlooking some nuances of the system and claiming it doesn't work? You could maybe split the blame between the dev and the user, since maybe devs didn't get out of their way to spoon fed the way the inventory works.

Also i hope you don't think that couping up with this simple inventory system means you are a contrarian, masochists or super nerd. Sh!t, the game has been stream lined a lot already and people want even more abstraction? There's even people using the mod for consecutive playthrougs so the isn't any learning process from the user's part?
Bisnic said:
Where do you get that? I'm tired of not picking crafting materials or monster loot because i'm scared of hitting to weight limit too fast. Then i found a recipe and can't make new items because i didn't grab enough of the mats sooner... FFFUUUUUU
Drop items. It's fairly easy to know what to drop with a few detailed studies of the inventory.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bisnic said:
HERE

Zeliard

Reallink said:
Personal choice only goes so far. Some people probably want to die in one hit, or have bosses that wipe their saves. That doesn't mean implementing those features wouldn't be a fuck up or a misstep. When it's something the majority of players clearly have issues with and do not enjoy (which seems to be the case based on complaints), it's a fuck up and a misstep IMO. There are always going to be contrarians, masochists, and super nerds that want hardcore, punishing, 100% realism. These people are a minority and do not fund mainstream $10,000,000+ projects. Sorry, but them's the breaks. If you want shit like that, look to the past, the indie scene, or stick to pen and paper. No one here is bitching about the lack of a win button (Fable) or calling for it to be turned into an action adventure game (Mass Effect)--they're simply pointing out the weight system (as is) doesn't really work with the crafting and alchemy systems they have in place (for the majority of players).

Except none of you have ever been able to say exactly what is weighing you down so much, while the rest of us are describing why it is that it *isn't*. Alchemy-focused characters don't seem to be struggling, somehow. I have a shitload of bombs/potions/traps in my inventory, and I never got the weight limit boost in the Prologue. And like some others, I tend to sit at 200/250. And I pick up crafting items all the time because I'm always crafting something useful.

You're just downloading some magic cure-all because you're too lazy to properly manage your inventory. No, that is not a game design flaw. Doing something in addition to hitting "take all" every time requires a modicum of effort on the player's part.

Actually, one guy did admit he likes to keep old armors in order to play dress up. I can see you struggling with the weight limit in that case. :> One other guy, Ferrio I think, mentioned that he still hit the limit even with a mod that upped it to 500. Come the fuck on, people. What the shit are you carrying?

I mean seriously, you had some here complaining about the weight limit who literally weren't even aware that they were picking up junk which was weighing them down (if there is an issue with inventory management it's that there's no separate "junk" tab). This notion that people who like the weight limit as-is are "contrarians, masochists, and super nerds that want hardcore, punishing, 100% realism" is some laughable hyperbole. It's more people who like some semblance of balance in their item gathering and creating.

Ferrio

Banned
Zeliard said:
I mean seriously, you had some here complaining about the weight limit who literally weren't even aware that they were picking up junk which was weighing them down (if there is an issue with inventory management it's that there's no separate "junk" tab). This notion that people who like the weight limit as-is are "contrarians, masochists, and super nerds that want hardcore, punishing, 100% realism" is some laughable hyperbole. It's more people who like some semblance of balance in their item gathering and creating.

1. I'm using game pad, I have to loot all.
2. The inventory screen sucks, period. Having to manage it with that screen blows hardcore.
3. Lastly I don't think it makes any difference in difficulty, just time wasting. I could throw half my shit away and I'd still be pretty much where I was before in terms of challenge. So instead of spending time throwing shit away constantly I can actually play the fucking game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is a silly argument. The great thing about PC gaming is it's modability. You don't like the weight limit, change it. You like it, don't. Neither is "wrong".

Zeliard

Sinatar said:
This is a silly argument. The great thing about PC gaming is it's modability. You don't like the weight limit, change it. You like it, don't. Neither is "wrong".

I don't care what people use. I'm arguing against this absurd notion that the weight limit is some flaw with the game design. It inconveniences hoarders. That's not a game design flaw; that's a game design decision.

Salaadin

Zeliard said:
Come the fuck on, people. What the shit are you carrying?
Im wondering the same thing. Like I said earlier, when my weight number would get high, it was almost always because I was carrying WAY more ingredients than I ever needed. I started carring 10-15 of each item and selling the excess. I never had any issues this way.

The only time I can ever see the need to have huge amounts of ingredients is if you literally craft and use potions every 10 minutes and never let them run out. More often than not, you can craft a few potions and then gather the ingredients to make more within the 10 minutes it takes for them to wear off.

scy

Zeliard said:
Except none of you have ever been able to say exactly what is weighing you down so much, while the rest of us are describing why it is that it *isn't*.

I could probably give you a list if I wasn't at work. Off the top of my head, it was stack-after-stack-after-stack of items like Iron and basic drops from Nekkers and Endrega, the only things you see a ton of in the first Chapter.

Yes, selling all of them does alleviate all the problems but crafting items shouldn't be your downfall in weight management. Especially when you run the risk of needing components down the road that you cannot get again. Some say "balance!" and others say "that's fucking stupid."

Alchemy-focused characters don't seem to be struggling, somehow. I have a shitload of bombs/potions/traps in my inventory, and I never got the weight limit boost in the Prologue. And like some others, I tend to sit at 200/250. And I pick up crafting items all the time because I'm always crafting something useful.

Alchemy focused characters would deal with it the least, I'd imagine; the final products weigh less than the materials that go into them.

You're just downloading some magic cure-all because you're too lazy to properly manage your inventory.

Perhaps. But it's a tedium that isn't worth it to most in a cost/reward view. It literally has absolutely no impact on the difficulty of the game one way or the other, just reduces overhead time of using the inventory.

This notion that people who like the weight limit as-is are "contrarians, masochists, and super nerds that want hardcore, punishing, 100% realism" is some laughable hyperbole. It's more people who like some semblance of balance in their item gathering and creating.

Conversely, many of those who like the weight-limit come off as "holier-than-thou" better players by virtue of ... what, precisely?

Salaadin

scy said:
I could probably give you a list if I wasn't at work. Off the top of my head, it was stack-after-stack-after-stack of items like Iron and basic drops from Nekkers and Endrega, the only things you see a ton of in the first Chapter.

Iron is a huge weight problem. If you have stacks and stacks of that, theres your issue.
You can buy it from weapon vendors in any chapter. If they dont have enough for you, buy what they have, meditate 24 hours, and get more. How many swords have you crafted that you need that much iron?

Sinatar said:
No, i don't subscribe to your opinion. The disscusion is not silly, it's very important in regards to game balance and probably one of the more important ones in the topic. And there's nothing wrong with disscussion and dissagrement because i think so far we been able to keep it "civil" and with a good degreee of respect.

Why do i insist so much it? Because i think i can help some people to overcome some of the issues they might have with the system and make it more bearable to them withouth umbalancing the game. You can learn how to love they say :D
BS phrase

Solo

Like I said before, I think the people who are having issues must be on the OCD side of things. Simply put, if you don't need it, then don't have it in your inventory. Problem solved. You don't need to lug around 200 inventory slots of JUNK.

Salaadin

Darklord said:
Where's the
Vran Guardian in Loc Muinne?
This city is pretty big...

Hes in the sewers not too far from the Bras of Ban Ard. Youll open a door and theres a long stairway leading down into them

Haint

Zeliard said:
Except none of you have ever been able to say exactly what is weighing you down so much, while the rest of us are describing why it is that it *isn't*. Alchemy-focused characters don't seem to be struggling, somehow. I have a shitload of bombs/potions/traps in my inventory, and I never got the weight limit boost in the Prologue. And like some others, I tend to sit at 200/250. And I pick up crafting items all the time because I'm always crafting something useful.

You're just downloading some magic cure-all because you're too lazy to properly manage your inventory. No, that is not a game design flaw. Doing something in addition to hitting "take all" every time requires a modicum of effort on the player's part.

Actually, one guy did admit he likes to keep old armors in order to play dress up. I can see you struggling with the weight limit in that case. :> One other guy, Ferrio I think, mentioned that he still hit the limit even with a mod that upped it to 500. Come the fuck on, people. What the shit are you carrying?

I haven't installed any mods, so I've played through the whole game teetering on the weight limits (probably a combined 5+ hours doing nothing but dropping and selling items). There is no option to pick up individual items with a controller AFAIK (or it's not explained to the player), so "take all" is the only choice. My personal inventory is full of crafting components (10-15 of most), because the item building system requires a random assortment of trinkets (somewhere between 10-15 of each in my experience). I keep a wide variety because I don't want to to be stuck unable to build the next armor or sword because I sold some rare monster part. I've only carried my equipped swords and armor throughout the entire game, no secondaries. I also don't carry any junk items, those have been trashed or sold from the beginning of the game.

Solo said:
Like I said before, I think the people who are having issues must be on the OCD side of things. Simply put, if you don't need it, then don't have it in your inventory. Problem solved. You don't need to lug around 200 inventory slots of JUNK.
My problem was that the 360 controls only have a 'loot all' function. So if something drops and 2 alchemy items, a crafting item, and a weapon, you have to pick them all up even if you only wanted one of them.

Also, I didn't realize until I started my second play through that I never sold any of my junk in the first play through since it was buried in the uncatagorized area. No idea how much I was lugging around at the end.

Solo

For those having your problem, I say simply: play the game with KB+M. It plays just fine that way. I have played every second of the game using them.

Zeliard

scy said:

Yes, selling all of them does alleviate all the problems but crafting items shouldn't be your downfall in weight management. Especially when you run the risk of needing components down the road that you cannot get again. Some say "balance!" and others say "that's fucking stupid."

If you can at some point, try to see what you're carrying. I guarantee you're simply carrying far more of something that you need. Why so much iron?

A lot of crafting items are also mostly useful for their alchemical properties after a point, and those are generally supplemented by items that are solely used for alchemy and weigh 0 (the flowers you pick and such). An alchemy build will want to be carrying both types, but a sword or magic build has less overall use for them.

Many shops sell different things you need and their inventories refresh after a couple in-game days or so. Meditate, buy more.

scy said:
Alchemy focused characters would deal with it the least, I'd imagine; the final products weigh less than the materials that go into them.

Alchemy-focused characters will pick up crafting pieces all the time because they ultimately have the most use for them. They go into everything. Many items have dual crafting/alchemical properties, and those have weight (solely alchemical items have no weight, as I mentioned before.)

scy said:
Perhaps. But it's a tedium that isn't worth it to most in a cost/reward view. It literally has absolutely no impact on the difficulty of the game one way or the other, just reduces overhead time of using the inventory.

Of course it has impact. You seem to be brushing the concept of imbalance away, for whatever reason, but unfortunately it matters. You remove or up the crafting limit, you can craft a lot more (not to mention hold more bombs/traps/potions etc), and you don't think this impacts difficulty? Of course it does. I can make and hold 30 Red Haze bombs now. This hugely impacts the difficulty.

scy said:
Conversely, many of those who like the weight-limit come off as "holier-than-thou" better players by virtue of ... what, precisely?

By virtue of being superior, obviously.

scy

Salaadin said:
Iron is a huge weight problem. If you have stacks and stacks of that, theres your issue.
You can buy it from weapon vendors in any chapter. If they dont have enough for you, buy what they have, meditate 24 hours, and get more. How many swords have you crafted that you need that much iron?

Which is part of why I don't particular care for the weight limit; you'll find hundreds of Iron in probably each chapter alone and you'll never need more than about 50 (unless you make every weapon you possibly can ... for some reason). "Here's 1000 iron, you'll need 10 later." And then this for every item type. Due to the sheer volume of items you get, I'd rather just not deal with it.

Still, I'm planning on reverting the game to the basic weight limit since I know the system far better now than my first time around. Hoarding is rather unnecessary since they do flood you with items that it's hard to ever not have the necessary components (besides the few actual rare drops from limited spawns). It's just, for the first playthrough, I found it to be a tedium that intruded upon the game rather than aiding it.

Sintar said:

But ... people are WRONG on the INTERNET!
I'm just passing time at work, honestly. Plus I find it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom