• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Solo said:
For those having your problem, I say simply: play the game with KB+M.

I wish it was that simple for those guys. With some of them on laptops or using their TV as a monitor, the controller really would work best. Some are just more comfortable with it. Hopefully CDPR can iron out some of the inventory controller issues for them

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Beat the game yesterday. Loved it.
Hats off to CD Projekt Red and everyone involved. Replayed the ending with Saskia path as well as Triss. Also, dat graphics. Sooo good.

Minsc

Gold Member
Solo said:
Like I said before, I think the people who are having issues must be on the OCD side of things. Simply put, if you don't need it, then don't have it in your inventory. Problem solved. You don't need to lug around 200 inventory slots of JUNK.

scy said:
I Especially when you run the risk of needing components down the road that you cannot get again. Some say "balance!" and others say "that's fucking stupid."

This is the problem for me. The second I have to start playing guessing games at what I will need in the future (and won't be able to get anymore) and what I won't, the game loses. That and the gamepad sucks x1,000 for this inventory system.

If it comes to consoles like this, it is going to lose like 20 points out of 100 for the inventory system.

scy

Zeliard said:
If you can at some point, try to see what you're carrying. I guarantee you're simply carrying far more of something that you need. Why so much iron?

No doubt; it's probably 100+ of nearly everything. Compounded by the fact that I never actually made more than 7 or 8 items the entire game. Was more of an OCD/"mustn't miss anything" mindset than anything else and I don't really deny that.

...then I done goofed the Optional boss fight.

Zeliard said:
Alchemy-focused characters will pick up crafting pieces all the time because they ultimately have the most use for them.

Everything gives you crafting loot, basically. Everything. I don't really think Alchemy-based would get more, they just value it more which is a bit different.

Zeliard said:
Of course it has impact. You seem to be brushing the concept of imbalance away, for whatever reason, but unfortunately it matters.

If you utilize it; it never mattered for me since I never actually took advantage of the system. Not that this is a great reason, mind you.

Still, I don't see it vastly changing the difficulty of the game, just the tedium of it; sure, you can carry 50 instead of 5 but if you don't need/use more than 5 at a time, it's just cutting down the time spent making them between uses. That's not a difficulty issue in the slightest here.

Zeliard said:
By virtue of being superior, obviously.

Clearly. My infinite pockets are of peasant build but, damn it, they work.

Salaadin said:
I wish it was that simple for those guys. With some of them on laptops or using their TV as a monitor, the controller really would work best. Some are just more comfortable with it. Hopefully CDPR can iron out some of the inventory controller issues for them

I never gave KB+M a fair shake but basically this. I comfy couch game so the controller is my best option for the setup. Looting is basically "Hit X, fuck full." Coupled with an incessant hammering of the stick to see what shinies to loot, it quickly fills up. I have a new monitor coming in and am giving up my comfy couch so maybe I'll give KB+M a real try.

That and maybe I can finally read some of the text on the creation screen.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Kaako said:
Beat the game yesterday. Loved it.
Hats off to CD Projekt Red and everyone involved. Replayed the ending with Saskia path as well as Triss. Also, dat graphics. Sooo good.

Congrats man ! now you have the other half of the game. Roche path.

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's a better take on the inventory system this game employs:

There is no PC RPG with a worse inventory system than playing this game with a gampad. Even in games like Baldur's Gate, it is perfectly clear what you need to keep and get rid of. Oblivion had sorting options. Morrowind was also great, with sorting options. The Witcher 1 had a stash to put your extra stuff. Betrayal at Krondor had a party of multiple characters to spread your inventory across. Dragon Age Origins had no troubles either. This may be the worst inventory system in a RPG in a very long time.

Ferrio

Banned
Solo said:
For those having your problem, I say simply: play the game with KB+M. It plays just fine that way. I have played every second of the game using them.

I played Witcher 1 that way, and it's my usual way to play. But the game's combat/control is much better with the gamepad IMO, very unusual stance for me to take.

Minsc said:
This is the problem for me. The second I have to start playing guessing games at what I will need in the future (and won't be able to get anymore) and what I won't, the game loses. That and the gamepad sucks x1,000 for this inventory system.

If it comes to consoles like this, it is going to lose like 20 points out of 100 for the inventory system.
The thing is guys, you have people instructing you on how to overcome the weight problems in this thread, since you couldn't figure it out by yourselves (nothing wrong with that). Regarding the "guessing", well you end up guessing if you didn't pay attention to item consumption for the first crafted potions, bombs and traps. So you know more or less how much of everything you might need. The only obscure nuance with the system is how the handled "junk". Now, it has been explained by multiple users how to do it.

Not even the pad is a problem once you realize this. Because the game shows the user whats inside the container before picking it up.

scy

Refreshment.01 said:
The thing is guys, you have people instructing you on how to overcome the weight problems in this thread, since you couldn't figure it out by yourselves (nothing wrong with that). Regarding the "guessing", well you end up guessing if you didn't pay to pay attention to item consumption for the first crafted potions, bombs and traps. So you know more or less how much of everything you might need. The only obscure nuance with the system is how the handled "junk". Now, it has been explained by multiple users how to do it.

Explanation or not doesn't make the base system better magically. I know how to handle the inventory but that doesn't make it less cumbersome and tedious in the end.

As for "guessing" ... there's entire items down the road for crafting that take parts that you couldn't know in advance you'd ever need. Hell, that's even the big deal of crafting Caerme is that you cannot find any of the parts for it when you can craft it. This is not about "I don't know if I'll need more X for my potions I keep making." It's about needing items to make an unknown item later on.

That said, Caerme does take rare components that you should realize are rare based off the enemy type involved (Arachas, Trolls, Endrega Queens, etc.).

Not even the pad is a problem once you realize this. Because the game shows the user whats inside the container before picking it up.

...what? So we should be just avoiding looting things? What about things we can't loot until we loot some of the surrounding boxes?

Yurt said:
Can we drop the inventory discussion :(

But then I'll want to go back to playing if we're not on a mundane topic :(

Kyaw

Ferrio said:
No, I don't wanna drop anything. Don't you understand? I might need it for later.

Nice one.

Stop the inventory talk man!
You dont want to organise inventory? Go get unlimited weight mod.

You like organising but 255 is too little? Get change max weight capacity mod.

Mods are all here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/full_list_of_mods/post1

Please add this to OP!

Now stop bitching.
I did not read all the posts about inventory discussion.

Discuss about possible DLC or Expansions!

donkey+2.bmp

=weighters every 5 minutes.

Solo

Heres a question I pose to all those having inventory issues or using weightless mods: why would you WANT to carry more stuff when the inventory management is so poor in the game?

scy

Kyaw said:

Curious, actually. Are there any "must have" mods yet? Still looking for some good small tweaks to the combat (++difficulty, nerfing Quen, etc.). Haven't found one I can't live without yet.

Solo said:
Heres a question I pose to all those having inventory issues or using weightless mods: why would you WANT to carry more stuff when the inventory management is so poor in the game?

I think it's precisely because the management is so poor we want to carry more; that way there's no hassle dealing with it. Just look at the few tabs you care about and ignore the Crafting/Alchemy/All tabs, really.

Kyaw

scy said:
Curious, actually. Are there any "must have" mods yet? Still looking for some good small tweaks to the combat (++difficulty, nerfing Quen, etc.). Haven't found one I can't live without yet.

There's the 'better combat' one. Many rebalance mods too if you are interested in those kinda things. I haven't got any major problems with the game so nothing is 'must have' for me yet.

I might try the 'Better Combat' mod though.

Kyaw

Exuro said:
Whats 'better combat' do? The nexus site doesn't seem to be working.

It reduces the amount of Vigor used by blocking, reduces Quen time (not the full time, just when you get hit, the timer goes down more), magic rebalance, adds AoE/Parry skills from the start. That's as much as i can remember.

Exuro

Kyaw said:
It reduces the amount of Vigor used by blocking, reduces Quen time (not the full time, just when you get hit, the timer goes down more), magic rebalance, adds AoE/Parry skills from the start. That's as much as i can remember.
That sounds pretty good. Can't wait for more mods like this to come out. Has anyone seen what the 'texture pack' mod changes? I'm probably going to get the savegame manager, should help the menu loading.

EDIT: Texture pack is dumb, adds some tattoos to Geralt.

scy

Zeliard said:
Is there a difficulty rebalancing mod that is actually effective?

Not really; in hindsight, the Combat mod that exists is more of a Mage rebalance (improved Aard, Igni, base Vigor regen though it does remove a Mutagen slot). Overall, it probably makes the game a bit easier with the reduced Vigor drain on Parry and default 25% Whirl.

I'm probably going to get the savegame manager, should help the menu loading.

If we count that as a mod, that IS a must have basically. I delete my saves basically daily since I run into delays when I open the menu pretty often otherwise.

Minsc

Gold Member
Exuro said:
That sounds pretty good. Can't wait for more mods like this to come out. Has anyone seen what the 'texture pack' mod changes? I'm probably going to get the savegame manager, should help the menu loading.

The savegame manager is pretty great. You can see the screens from your saves huge, really easy to identify them.

There's also a mod that adds a small † icon to the edge of the mini-compass which indicates north that is nice to have.

Zeliard

The most effective way to rebalance difficulty might be to completely rework the talent trees.

That's where the disparity in difficulty comes from - at some point you simply become too powerful relative to the other enemies in the game.

Exuro

I think Quen in general needs to be nerfed greatly. Being able to not get damaged is too powerful however long it is. I'm thinking it should either negate a % damage while hurting the enemy or just not even protect you, only hurting enemies that hit you. That would change my playstyle greatly as I always jump in with quen, quen gets removed, I jump out and put it back on rinse and repeat.

ukas

Exuro said:
I think Quen in general needs to be nerfed greatly. Being able to not get damaged is too powerful however long it is. I'm thinking it should either negate a % damage while hurting the enemy or just not even protect you, only hurting enemies that hit you. That would change my playstyle greatly as I always jump in with quen, quen gets removed, I jump out and put it back on rinse and repeat.
Keep it at level 1 throughout the whole game like I did. It's definitely not overpowered that way. :)

Exuro

ukas said:
Keep it at level 1 throughout the whole game like I did. It's definitely not overpowered that way. :)
It still is though because I'm still not getting damaged. I can run out of a fight and put it back on and just repeat that until the enemy dies. Quen makes my fights careless and sloppy.

Dacon

Banned
I LOVE THIS GAME.

Plain old monster hunting is fun as hell, and I love the art direction and plot. Shit it's fun just gathering books and reading up on the lore.

I'm also surprised it runs so well and looks so good on my rather modest desktop.

Salaadin

I think a good nerf for Quen would be a set cooldown for vigor regen. Right now, Vigor just doesnt regen when Quen is up. If they changed it so that Vigor wouldnt charge at all for a set time...say 60-90 seconds after using Quen, then it becomes more difficult to manage.

Or just make it halve the damage or something rather than completely eliminate it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Exuro said:
It still is though because I'm still not getting damaged. I can run out of a fight and put it back on and just repeat that until the enemy dies. Quen makes my fights careless and sloppy.

When I spec'd swords I never bothered using it. Nothing is forcing you to use the spell.

Exuro

Stahsky said:
When I spec'd swords I never bothered using it. Nothing is forcing you to use the spell.
That's a terrible excuse. Avoiding it doesn't make it any less overpowered, in fact it "removes" a spell from the game which could be seen as making combat have less depth.

dc89

help a noob - Chapter 1

This fucking dragon! His fire just ruins me, it's like the moment I step outside I get set on fire for 6 seconds. I'm trying to time it with his swooping, fire-breathing attack but I get burnt.

Something I am missing here?

Exuro

dc89 said:
help a noob - Chapter 1

This fucking dragon! His fire just ruins me, it's like the moment I step outside I get set on fire for 6 seconds. I'm trying to time it with his swooping, fire-breathing attack but I get burnt.

You need to wait until it goes under the bridge.

Salaadin

dc89 said:
help a noob - Chapter 1

I always use the Quen sign before running out there. Time it so that youre running across right after he swoops down and breathes fire

Stahsky

Exuro said:
That's a terrible excuse. Avoiding it doesn't make it any less overpowered, in fact it "removes" a spell from the game which could be seen as making combat have less depth.

You are playing a single player game with many options to tackle each and every scenario. You can call it an excuse if you want, but in the end I'm still the one not upset about it.

And with vigor using both blocks and magic, I literally had no reason to waste stats on the spell. So as far as I was concerned in that playthrough, there was no depth it could have added.

On my second playthrough, I went full magic and used the upgraded Quen a lot and yeah, it was pretty strong, but towards the end it would often break in 2-3 hits. Didn't feel all that OP to me.

Salaadin

dc89 said:
Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn :(
Its overwhelming at the start. You can thank the shitty tutorial for that.
You might want to open up the Journal and view the various tips there since the game doesnt do a great job at telling you.
Youll catch on though.

Divius

Chapter 3 Help! So I'm at
Loc Muinne
and I'm looking for
either a Harpy Egg or a Rotfiend Tongue
for a quest. Can anyone tell me if I can find either in the area? Or should I have saved some from previous area's and am I now unable to finish that particular quest?

Stahsky

dc89 said:
Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn :(

I was a good 10 hours in before I had fully grasped how to fight without getting owned and looking like a retard on my first playthrough. Definitely read the journal when you get some free time as Salaadin mentioned. The game doesn't really do a good job in telling you what is what.

&Divius said:
Chapter 3 Help! So I'm at
Loc Muinne
and I'm looking for
either a Harpy Egg or a Rotfiend Tongue
for a quest. Can anyone tell me if I can find either in the area? Or should I have saved some from previous area's and am I now unable to finish that particular quest?

You run into Harpy groups on the way into the city. I'm not sure if they respawn, though. There are no Rotfiends in the chapter, though.

You know what was silly of me in that quest? I didn't have any Nekker blood. Fucking Nekker blood.

Ferrio

Banned
The first part with the dragon was the hardest part in the game so far for me. Overall I think fire is the geralt's worse enemy in the game. Be it from a dragon, some asshole slinging it at you, or just walking into a regular old campfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom