• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

&Divius said:
Chapter 3 Help! So I'm at
Loc Muinne
and I'm looking for
either a Harpy Egg or a Rotfiend Tongue
for a quest. Can anyone tell me if I can find either in the area? Or should I have saved some from previous area's and am I now unable to finish that particular quest?

Harpys spawn right at the very beginning....way back where you started. At least they do on the Roche path. Might want to go back and kill some harpies there.

Divius

Stahsky said:
You run into Harpy groups on the way into the city. I'm not sure if they respawn, though. There are no Rotfiends in the chapter, though.
Ah, yes. I'll go back and take a look. Thanks.

edit: also thanks @Salaadin.

Salaadin

Stahsky said:
On my second playthrough, I went full magic and used the upgraded Quen a lot and yeah, it was pretty strong, but towards the end it would often break in 2-3 hits. Didn't feel all that OP to me.

It does break quickly and Ive had several times where all the Quen in the world wouldnt protect me enough against 8 Nekkers. The problem behind it is that you can literally use it immediately after it wears. Get some distance between you and the enemy and bam, fully protected again. It could use a nerf or two.

I admit though, later in the game, I didnt use it much at all. It isnt worth the vigor once you get upgraded Blocking/Aard/Igni and the AOE sword sword damage.

scy

Stahsky said:
On my second playthrough, I went full magic and used the upgraded Quen a lot and yeah, it was pretty strong, but towards the end it would often break in 2-3 hits. Didn't feel all that OP to me.

Taking no damage > taking damage, basically. Quen's usefulness is that you're invincible while it's going. No hit stun, no knockback, nothing. You just beat on things without worrying about anything besides "is Quen up?" Every time those 2-3 hits broke it would've been enough to kill you most likely is the easiest way to see it.

Forgoing Quen is the best way to balance it as it stands, honestly. I don't get why it's a full invulnerability for X seconds as opposed to X duration that takes 1/.5/.25 blocks of vigor per hit (and then moved out of the Magic tree, probably) taken.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I found the magic tree to be far too boring. Once more DLC comes out and I go for my third romp, I'm going Sword/alch for sure. Although the Heliotrope or whatever it was called was pretty rad.

scy said:
Taking no damage > taking damage, basically. Quen's usefulness is that you're invincible while it's going. No hit stun, no knockback, nothing. You just beat on things without worrying about anything besides "is Quen up?" Every time those 2-3 hits broke it would've been enough to kill you most likely is the easiest way to see it.

Forgoing Quen is the best way to balance it as it stands, honestly. I don't get why it's a full invulnerability for X seconds as opposed to X duration that takes 1/.5/.25 blocks of vigor per hit (and then moved out of the Magic tree, probably) taken.

It breaks after 3-4 hits, which takes all of 2 seconds in a group fight if they surround you. I dunno, I thought the magic tree was boring even without using it. Not my cup of tea.

Seems like a trivial thing to complain about, given we're talking about a single player only game.

delirium

Does the ending for the original Witcher get explained at all?

I mean, according to Letho, the first target they tried was Demavend and he was chosen because the Lodge/Sile thought he was the weakest. But in the Witcher 1, Foltest was targeted first by the witcher assassin.

Jenga

Banned
delirium said:
Does the ending for the original Witcher get explained at all?

I mean, according to Letho, the first target they tried was Demavend and he was chosen because the Lodge/Sile thought he was the weakest. But in the Witcher 1, Foltest was targeted first by the witcher assassin.
perhaps more witchers other than the defunct snake school were enlisted?

also, (unrelated) CH1 slight spoiler

so those two dudes bugging you about vizima and their secret potion or whatever basically promises we'll see vizima again right? i wonder if it'll be witcher 3 or an expansion...

Salaadin

Jenga said:
so those two dudes bugging you about vizima and their secret potion or whatever basically promises we'll see vizima again right? i wonder if it'll be witcher 3 or an expansion...

I wonder about that too. I was looking forward to the outcome of that.

scy

Stahsky said:
It breaks after 3-4 hits, which takes all of 2 seconds in a group fight if they surround you. I dunno, I thought the magic tree was boring even without using it. Not my cup of tea.

I dunno, I had little trouble keeping it up for most fights and that was with only one point in it. Those same situations that broke it would've been death without it. It's more noticeable on certain fights that are basically one-shotting you if Quen wasn't up.

Also, the only times I really saw 2-4 hits breaking Quen were when backstabs were involved. Frontal arc hits was closer to 5+. Even then, roll, Quen and it was back to invulnerability.

Seems like a trivial thing to complain about, given we're talking about a single player only game.

Yeah, it being useful or not isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things since you can just not use it. I find the game a lot more fun on my current playthrough without it.

Stahsky said:
I found the magic tree to be far too boring. Once more DLC comes out and I go for my third romp, I'm going Sword/alch for sure. Although the Heliotrope or whatever it was called was pretty rad.

True, but those 2 hits will damage and stagger the enemies while contributing to your adrenaline. Hybrid Quen/Whirl spec destroys groups with little more than mashing light attack.

Stahsky

scy said:
I dunno, I had little trouble keeping it up for most fights and that was with only one point in it. Those same situations that broke it would've been death without it. It's more noticeable on certain fights that are basically one-shotting you if Quen wasn't up.

Also, the only times I really saw 2-4 hits breaking Quen were when backstabs were involved. Frontal arc hits was closer to 5+. Even then, roll, Quen and it was back to invulnerability.

Yeah, it being useful or not isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things since you can just not use it. I find the game a lot more fun on my current playthrough without it.

For sure man. Like I mentioned earlier, when I went purely sword spec, I probably only used that spell like 3 or 4 times. I had way more fun. Alch and Sword spec next time for me.

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that weird bug (I think? Unless it wears off after all your potions deplete) where the Mutant Adrenaline Alchemy (x button ability) gives you that drunken look and it seems to never wear off? I had to save and reload to get it to go away. It got pretty annoying at times.

Exuro

scy said:
Even then, roll, Quen and it was back to invulnerability.
And that's my problem with it. Quen shouldn't make you invulnerable. I would like to see a mod where it only takes off x% of damage, and then high levels just take slightly more damage off with the other percentage being the damage put on the enemy.

Salaadin

Exuro said:
And that's my problem with it. Quen shouldn't make you invulnerable. I would like to see a mod where it only takes off x% of damage, and then high levels just take slightly more damage off with the other percentage being the damage put on the enemy.

Yeah something along those lines couldnt hurt.

1stStrike

Banned
You know, I used quen in the
operator
fight and still got my ass handed to me with a maximum leveled quen. It helps, sure, but you can still easily get owned while using it.

Darklord

Banned
1stStrike said:
You know, I used quen in the
operator
fight and still got my ass handed to me with a maximum leveled quen. It helps, sure, but you can still easily get owned while using it.

Is it even worth fighting him? Do you get any reward?

Stahsky said:
Oh, and has anyone else noticed that weird bug (I think? Unless it wears off after all your potions deplete) where the Mutant Adrenaline Alchemy (x button ability) gives you that drunken look and it seems to never wear off? I had to save and reload to get it to go away. It got pretty annoying at times.
Yeah, it's really annoying. It goes away sometimes when your potions wear off too.

Stahsky

Darklord said:
Is it even worth fighting him? Do you get any reward?

You get a really good, but stupid looking staff that looks dumb when you use it.

Beat him for the sake of beating him, then reload and take the respec if you wanna respec imo.

Ferrio

Banned
Exuro said:

Not at home to check, but isn't there talents that increase the amount of damage quen absorbs? Meaning that it shouldn't of been invul to begin with? Maybe I'm mistaking seeing something else.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Has anyone been playing Insanity mode? I think I might give it a shot but it seems kinda pointless since it'll probably game over within an hour.

Here is a real challenge: play the entire game using only the soul ladle as a weapon.

dc89

Snuggler said:
Has anyone been playing Insanity mode? I think I might give it a shot but it seems kinda pointless since it'll probably game over within an hour.

Here is a real challenge: play the entire game using only the soul ladle as a weapon.

I can't even begin to contemplate doing that shit.

I died like 20 times at that stupid Dragon.

I have now done 2/3 of the bits at the start.

Right at the start of the game, where you read the white text on the screen and it sets the scene, the music is incredible. It sounds like it has a female vocal as part of it. Is it on the OST or can anyone link me?

Exuro

I could see myself dying several times in the prologue alone from stupid crap like the dragon's fire. I don't think I'd be able to beat the Kayran when the rocks are flying where ever you run. Sounds like torture. There's too many little stupid things that can cause you to die.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wish all focus tests were done in Poland.

CD Projekt - Tomasz Gop, Senior Producer:

I'd say it's always like that: you invent the story and wish you could tell it to players your own favourite way. Then you start focus tests, people play it and all sorts of misunderstandings come from that. Then you force yourself not to think about that in terms of bugs or misuse. If you do it right, you adjust the story so that it suits more players, a wider audience. That is a challenge. At least for a pure-blooded Designer it is.

Kyaw

7PM GMT tomorrow guys!

CDPR and GoG should have some good news in terms of DLC/sales/Expansions and future support.

Salaadin

Kyaw said:
7PM GMT tomorrow guys!

CDPR and GoG should have some good news in terms of DLC/sales/Expansions and future support.

Im hoping for DLC news but have a bad feeling that its going to be all about TW2 on consoles. I hope Im wrong. I better be.

Ferrio said:
Not at home to check, but isn't there talents that increase the amount of damage quen absorbs? Meaning that it shouldn't of been invul to begin with? Maybe I'm mistaking seeing something else.

It's basically Power Word: Shield from WoW; that's the amount it will absorb before it wears off if you haven't reached the time limit.

The original Quen doesn't even allow you to attack, so it's just used as a lifeline for situations where an enemy attacks really hard and fast, or to close distance on enemies with a ranged attack. I wonder how TW2 would play if that were the case, and vigor regeneration was enabled to balance it out.

ukas

Exuro said:
It still is though because I'm still not getting damaged. I can run out of a fight and put it back on and just repeat that until the enemy dies. Quen makes my fights careless and sloppy.
I went swords all the way with no points in any other tree. I stopped using Quen towards the end of the game because it wouldn't last through shit.

antonz

Salaadin said:
Im hoping for DLC news but have a bad feeling that its going to be all about TW2 on consoles. I hope Im wrong. I better be.
Witcher 3DS believe ;)

I mean why else would Witcher 2 Producer be at the 3DS Developer Conference ;)

Exuro

ukas said:
I went swords all the way with no points in any other tree. I stopped using Quen towards the end of the game because it wouldn't last through shit.
I did the same and at that point you have too much health that it doesn't really make a difference. I'm talking more about earlier on in the game when you can get 3 shot.

Exuro said:
I could see myself dying several times in the prologue alone from stupid crap like the dragon's fire. I don't think I'd be able to beat the Kayran when the rocks are flying where ever you run. Sounds like torture. There's too many little stupid things that can cause you to die.

Kayran fight can easily be done without taking a single hit. You just stand still when Sile starts yelling "Be careful!!!" and if you're off to one side you won't get hit at all, and can even get your next Yrden ready. And in the 3rd phase, if you run left as soon as you regain control of Geralt, you won't get hit by a single rock except maybe the (I think scripted) one which it throws when you're running up the ramp.

That said, I'm not starting an insane run until they patch the targeting system, considering that the only genuinely unfair deaths in TW2 are caused by it.

Exuro

I can get through without getting hit by the tentacles. It's when I get up on the ramp I get smashed by rocks that knock me backwards a majority of the time.

scy

Snuggler said:

I'm planning on it eventually. Once I figure out which of the three builds is the best for me (hybrid, obviously) and once I figure out a foolproof way to not die in the Prologue like an idiot.

My Alchemist build is going to be naked Geralt with no weapons ("Cutscene" Swords!). At least, that's how I'm thinking it'll go right now.

Zeliard

Kayran never has the chance to even throw boulders at you if you stick to the left side and just go up the platform immediately.

Exuro

Zeliard said:
Kayran never has the chance to even throw boulders at you if you stick to the left side and just go up the platform immediately.
That's what I always do. I am next to the ramp as it falls, go up and I get smashed by a boulder. If it knocks me back I get rock spammed, if it knocks me forward I'm close enough to trigger the cutscene.

jim-jam bongs said:
It's scripted and avoidable.
Hmm so I should get up on the ramp and roll backwards then? I probably won't try it out until I do a third playthrough, still in the middle of my second.

Zeliard

Exuro said:
Hmm so I should get up on the ramp and roll backwards then? I probably won't try it out until I do a third playthrough, still in the middle of my second.

Just use Quen during that part. You should be able to get up the platform even if you take a few hits, since Quen absorbs knockbacks.

subversus

Has anyone had any problems with pit duels in chapter II? They're pretty easy. Yrden is overpowered, so is Quen. They need to teach enemies how to see electric bolts shooting from the ground.

edit: as a compromise - add charging behaviour to the enemy AI routine (they already have it btw, but not everybody) and make you use yrden only when they charge so they can't stop.

subversus said:
Has anyone had any problems with pit duels in chapter II? They're pretty easy. Yrden is overpowered, so is Quen. They need to teach enemies how to see electric bolts shooting from the ground.

edit: as a compromise - add charging behaviour to the enemy AI routine (they already have it btw, but not everybody) and make you use yrden only when they charge so they can't stop.
Not the duels but the quest for the young soldier's father:
I killed the boss before his companion, and the game bugged out really badly.

subversus

jim-jam bongs said:
Not the duels but the quest for the young soldier's father:
I killed the boss before his companion, and the game bugged out really badly.

I did it too, but there was no bug.

I encountered a really annoying bug in Chapter 2 last night (Roche path) in which I
defeated the merc boss (adam pendergraft or something) in a corner and the game wouldn't advance (Dethmold just stoof there behind his forcefield mocking me). I had to backtrack to a save 30 min prior which was really annoying

Van Buren

Gully State said:
I encountered a really annoying bug in Chapter 2 last night (Roche path) in which I
defeated the merc boss (adam pendergraft or something) in a corner and the game wouldn't advance (Dethmold just stoof there behind his forcefield mocking me). I had to backtrack to a save 30 min prior which was really annoying

Do not touch the buggy boss until everyone else is disposed off. The game autosaved for me though.

subversus said:
I did it too, but there was no bug.

Really? Damn, it totally fucked me since I didn't have a save for around an hour. Come to think of it, the bug wasn't actually caused by my kill order:
I killed the main guy, and hadn't triggered the cut-scene which happens the first time you get close to the arena about the guy pissing his pants. When I killed the guy I must have been too close to the trigger point for that, because the cut-scene triggered and when it came back I had totally lost control of Geralt and had to sit there watching the other enemy kill the young soldier then him.

I tried Insane mode on Monday and died at the Prologue. If anyone is serious about it, honestly, really consider it. It's fucking brutal and really feels shitty when you die and wish you could reload a save and all it says is "Save is locked at this difficulty".

And yes, it was the Dragon's fire that killed me.

Van Buren said:
Do not touch the buggy boss until everyone else is disposed off. The game autosaved for me though.

That's what I did initially..
Roche moved him into a corner and we killed him there. His body then slumped behind a rock and the next part wouldn't trigger
. It doesn't matter though at this point since I was luckily in the mood to replay it again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd probably give Insane a try if the dragon part in the prologue, the Kayran fight, and the ghost battlefield reenactment part didn't exist. It's far too easy to die because of some minor screw up or random element on those three parts in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom