• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this over at B3D
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318347/e3-2011-the-witcher-2-xbox-360-preview-impressions/

How does it look? The version we saw was a pre-alpha build, so it did not represent how the game will look at release. But our first reaction was, "Hey, this game looks really great on the Xbox 360." CD Projekt is aiming for the equivalent of the PC version's medium settings on the Xbox 360, and we noticed some animation hitches, screen tears, and a few frame rate dips, but that's par for the course at this stage. The art design still shone through, and Gop was proud of how the art design was always the team's first concern with the visuals. He stated that even Witcher 2 players enjoying the game on low settings are incredibly pleased with how the game looks. The team's goal is to make sure that The Witcher 2 runs smoothly at 30 frames per second minimum.

997903_20110608_screen005.jpg

997903_20110608_screen007.jpg

997903_20110608_screen008.jpg

997903_20110608_screen009.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
C2Q said:
Couple of things.

Why do i die so ridiculously fast. I'm playing on normal and im lvl 7 currently. In the middle of the karyan quest and these drowners or whatever kill me in like 3 hits. It doesn't help that theres 4 or 5 of them at once and I can only block 3 times (3 vigor slots). Wtf is this?

Also what are good ways of making money and where can i get better weapons and items that can help me survive longer.

Also do you get any other spells later? I only have 6 signs at my disposal the ones from the start.

I had problems with this fight. Then I drank a potion, set a trap, equipped myself with three grapeshots and let Triss take all their rage. Did it in my first try with this setup.

RedSwirl

Just finished the game. I didn't find the ending particularly climactic. The whole game more or less actually seems to follow your basic three-act movie structure.

Looking back, the one thing that made TW2 stand out for me the most in the scheme of this year's gaming is the fact that I could actually take the storyline seriously. Instead of basing itself on epicness, wow factor, and whatnot, it was just a story about people and politics, and it was told... well like a regular good story is told I guess.

Varna said:
Can anyone tell me how exactly you gain the extra 50 lb ability? Any other interesting abilities to gain?

You need to spare Aryan in the prologue and help him later on, some people aren't getting it this way but that's how I got it and it makes the most sense.

Here are a few I discovered

Birdman - +10% damage against harpies
Destroy all the harpy nests
Child of the Night - +2 vitality regen at night
Sneak through the Kaedweni camp undetected (Iorveth path)
Thrower - + 5 dagger damage
Beat Ves in the knife throwing contest
Anatomy Lesson - +10% damage against humans
Perform an autopsy during the With Flickering Heart quest
Haggling - 20% discount on all items
When negotiating the price for the Kayran contract convince the merchant to double the fee. You receive the ability upon payment
Assassin - +25% back damage
Find the Altair looking dude in the prologue near the ballista
Cover - 10% damage reduction
Stay under Triss' bubble during the encounter when you arrive at Flotsam

The last 3 are pretty useful so make sure not to miss out on them. There's one for repeatedly walking into campfires which grants you resistance to incineration which I can't remember the name for.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
RedSwirl said:
Just finished the game. I didn't find the ending particularly climactic. The whole game more or less actually seems to follow your basic three-act movie structure.

Looking back, the one thing that made TW2 stand out for me the most in the scheme of this year's gaming is the fact that I could actually take the storyline seriously. Instead of basing itself on epicness, wow factor, and whatnot, it was just a story about people and politics, and it was told... well like a regular good story is told I guess.

did you pick
Roche or triss ? Roche makes the ending x10 better.

DualShadow said:
When does this happen? Assume it's Roche path?

In Flotsam, it precedes the Hung Over sidequest. You get to arm wrestle 13 and Fenn then you can to play a knife throwing game with Ves.

The dudes will shout out an item and you have to throw your knife at it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
DualShadow said:
When does this happen? Assume it's Roche path?

You missed the funniest side quest in the game haha Go reload a save man.

Succubus
in 1st?

Loved both of them :p

Don't read if you didn't complete the Ves quest
Can you actually remove the tattoo ?

subversus

I missed the basement in the prison. Will go there on my third run.

It's a shame that the game doesn't have a third path. I'd be playing it right now.

Yeah those quests are freaking hilarious. It's funny how the guys at BioWare interpret the "dark" in "dark fantasy" so differently to CDProjekt who just take it to mean "adult". And not "adult" like "mature", meaning puerile. Genuine plots, characters and jokes for adults.

subversus

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah those quests are freaking hilarious. It's funny how the guys at BioWare interpret the "dark" in "dark fantasy" so differently to CDProjekt who just take it to mean "adult". And not "adult" like "mature", meaning puerile. Genuine plots, characters and jokes for adults.

What else can you expect from a company which hired a writer who hates games?

Xamdou

Does Witcher 2 support wired 360 controllers?

Also Is it possible to play the game on High or highest settings with my laptop: i5-430M (Dual Core), 4GB DDR3 ram, ATI Radeon HD 5870 w/ 1GB GDDR5 RAM, windows 7 premium?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Xamdou said:

Also Is it possible to play the game on High or highest settings with my laptop: i5-430M (Dual Core), 4GB DDR3 ram, ATI Radeon HD 5870 w/ 1GB GDDR5 RAM, windows 7 premium?

Yes it does.

I'm not sure about your specs.

Your specs look okay to me Xamdou, I'd say maybe high with a few medium settings. Game still looks great either way.

subversus said:
What else can you expect from a company which hired a writer who hates games?

Clearly they hate fantasy too.

Gvaz

Banned
Xamdou said:

Nope. High maybe, but I'd rather say medium/high at 30fps or higher at 1080p

Also I don't mind them releasing it on the 360. My concern is those UI elements are way too small for consoles.

subversus

Xamdou said:

dual core will hamper perfomance...

jim-jam bongs said:
Haha at horse-riding DLC. I always wondered why there are no horses in the world of The Witcher.
Did you guys noticed there's a lot less wild life than in the first Witcher game? I did not like this. If i see people fishing in the shore i expect to see fish, if i see a butcher selling meat i expect to watch some pigs around. In this game just saw craws and rats and one dead pig.
mjemirzian said:
I've completed a playthrough on Hard. Combat feels hard to control with the autotargeting and not being able to choose exactly which sword attack you want Geralt to do. It's tedious having to access the radial menu for spells, with only one key for 'next sign'. It feels like yet another PC game designed for consoles with inferior targeting and controls.

Finally, there's too much boring running around between quests and backtracking. Quick travel points between visited locations would be nice.
Just no to the bold part, the locations are compact as they are so no need to quick travel. This is not Elder Scroll's or FallOut.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
Just no to the bold part, the locations are compact as they are so no need to quick travel. This is not Elder Scroll's or FallOut.

Agreed. I never felt the need for a fast travel. Faster travel wouldve helped but I dont want any instant fast travel in my Witcher games.

Solo

subversus said:
I missed the basement in the prison. Will go there on my third run.

It's a shame that the game doesn't have a third path. I'd be playing it right now.

Loredo's mom path. Geralt gets hooked on drugs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Salaadin said:
Agreed. I never felt the need for a fast travel. Faster travel wouldve helped but I dont want any instant fast travel in my Witcher games.

Apparently you forgot about the few instant fast travels in chapter 2-3 of Witcher 1.

Although, these were kinda needed. Going from the trade market to the swamp on foot takes too long.

Salaadin said:
Yea, someone posted CDP is considering horse riding. Maybe for the next game because areas in this one are too small to consider that type of transportation.

Bisnic said:
Apparently you forgot about the few instant fast travels in chapter 2-3 of Witcher 1.

Although, these were kinda needed. Going from the trade market to the swamp on foot takes too long.
Kind of remember then, that would imply long travel and with considerable load times, yet i think Sallading observation remains valid. In this game there are some quick travels also in some quests.

Have the following doubt so someone please reply:

Previously to the game release i just saw one video think it was the 1st trailer, it was the one with Letho and Iorveth making the pact (still my favorite btw) so recently i began to catch up with other released media withouth fearing any spoilers. CDP did a presentation, the video was at the Lavalette dungeon segment in which Geralt had to recue Mary Louise Lavallete from the executioner and she had to dress herself, i think it was that way. Im not seeing this sequence in the game.

What i see is her getting out of her dungeon scolted by Shillard Fitz. So what's up with this?

Gvaz said:
You don't need horse riding in this game. Get 200% dodge and roll everywhere if you think it takes too long.
Gvaz, you were adressing me? curious because from your statement we agree ;D Even one dodge upgrade was enough for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I needed convincing to get this game since I just didn't like what I played of the first game too much. But it really is great stuff.

I'll admit my weaksauceness though, I had to turn it down to easy to get past the Lethos fight. I even watched a video walkthrough and I just couldn't do it. Full of shame.

krzy123

Just finished the prologue, im sure i missed some things, but looks like there will be motivation to play again :).

I wish i could name/rename saves in game.

Tokubetsu

Refreshment.01 said:
Yea, someone posted CDP is considering horse riding. Maybe for the next game because areas in this one are too small to consider that type of transportation.

Kind of remember then, that would imply long travel and with considerable load times, yet i think Sallading observation remains valid. In this game there are some quick travels also in some quests.

Previously to the game release i just saw one video think it was the 1st trailer, it was the one with Letho and Iorveth making the pact (still my favorite btw) so recently i began to catch up with other released media withouth fearing any spoilers. CDP did a presentation, the video was at the Lavalette dungeon segment in which Geralt had to recue Mary Louise Lavallete from the executioner and she had to dress herself, i think it was that way. Im not seeing this sequence in the game.

What i see is her getting out of her dungeon scolted by Shillard Fitz. So what's up with this?

Gvaz, you were adressing me? curious because from your statement we agree ;D Even one dodge upgrade was enough for me.

It's a special path you have to take to see her being tortured/about to be tortured. There's a special hidden door/trap door you need to find in the dungeon near the start.

Refreshment.01 said:

On your way out of the dungeon you can hear a group of prisoners talking about a secret passage, there is a trap door in the floor of a room you can access before getting to the hallway with the torture chamber.

Tokubetsu said:
It's a special path you have to take to see her being tortured/about to be tortured. There's a special hidden door/trap door you need to find in the dungeon near the start.
MickeyKnox said:
On your way out of the dungeon you can hear a group of prisoners talking about a secret passage, there is a trap door in the floor of a room you can access before getting to the hallway with the torture chamber.
Fuck, apreciate the replies. How fucking idiotic can one person be? i missed this in 3 succesive playthroughs. Plus i took the time to hear the 3 assholes in the prison mumbling about something but never figured out it was this. Don't tell me theres something special about the guy in the last cell insulting when Geralt picks through the hole.

subversus

Do I have to kill
la Vallete
to see his mother if I use a trapdoor?

Also I think that one of the main issues of the combat is that it still to rpg-ish. You can chain combos and deal more damage but YOU SHOULDN'T MASH A BUTTON. You should push a button, wait till the animation is about to be over then push another button, repeat it. Then you can make a really deadly combo. But people seem to miss that. They think that combat is not responsive because Geralt has to "make a move" (finish the animation) and only then he'll be able to make the next move. It's sort of turn-based. The system is designed for button pushing, it falls apart with button mashing.

They should've gone Ninja Gaiden route - make animations fast, but eliminate button-mashing with challenging combat.

The system will fall apart on consoles as people there used to button-mashing
Except those who played Demon's Souls

Tokubetsu

subversus said:
Do I have to kill
la Vallete
to see his mother if I use a trapdoor?

Also I think that one of the main issues of the combat is that it still to rpg-ish. You can chain combos and deal more damage but YOU SHOULDN'T MASH A BUTTON. You should push a button, wait till the animation is about to be over then push another button, repeat it. Then you can make a really deadly combo. But people seem to miss that. They think that combat is not responsive because Geralt has to "make a move" (finish the animation) and only then he'll be able to make the next move. It's sort of turn-based. The system is designed for button pushing, it falls apart with button mashing.

They should've gone Ninja Gaiden route - make animations fast, but eliminate button-mashing with challenging combat.

The system will fall apart on consoles as people there used to button-mashing
Except those who played Demon's Souls

Give the boy a good death.

Solo

Even on my Iorveth playthrough, my boy Roche STILL has my back and saves my ass at the military camp.

Roche >>> Ioverth

Also, the Loc Muinne armor looks BOSS.

Tokubetsu

Solo said:
Even on my Iorveth playthrough, my boy Roche STILL has my back and saves my ass at the military camp.

Roche >>> Ioverth

Also, the Loc Muinne armor looks BOSS.

Roche is no hater. Roche keeps it all the way one hundred. REAL TALK.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Iorveth for life. I can relate with his grim cynicism and his entrance with his Squirrel bros
at the battle of Vergen
was fucking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom