• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't hate on Iorveth. He's like an Elven Black Panther.

matmanx1

Well I like the visuals of this game about 100% more with motion blur disabled. I was getting some massive eye strain headaches throughout the first half of my play through and hadn't been playing the game as much over the last week. Reading up on the 1.2 patch I noticed someone on another board talking about how much he disliked the motion blur (it made him motion sick) and that he was having a much better time with it disabled.

Lo and behold and I went and disabled the blur and not only am I not causing myself massive eye discomfort but I actually think the game looks better with it off. On to Chapter 3 now (climax of Chapter 2, Iorveth path, was frickin awesome btw) and boy do these mountains look incredible in Loc Muinne!

Minsc

Gold Member
matmanx1 said:
Well I like the visuals of this game about 100% more with motion blur disabled. I was getting some massive eye strain headaches throughout the first half of my play through and hadn't been playing the game as much over the last week. Reading up on the 1.2 patch I noticed someone on another board talking about how much he disliked the motion blur (it made him motion sick) and that he was having a much better time with it disabled.

Lo and behold and I went and disabled the blur and not only am I not causing myself massive eye discomfort but I actually think the game looks better with it off. On to Chapter 3 now (climax of Chapter 2, Iorveth path, was frickin awesome btw) and boy do these mountains look incredible in Loc Muinne!

How was your framerate? Motion blur works best at a solid 60fps. I enjoy it at anything over 30, but under 30 and it bothers me a bit, too much blurring.

Solo

You're both misunderstanding my question - I think. I went in that room. Thats how I got the key from him. I opened the chest in the room, but it still says "find a place to use Thorak's key" or something like that.

mileS

subversus said:
Also I think that one of the main issues of the combat is that it still to rpg-ish. You can chain combos and deal more damage but YOU SHOULDN'T MASH A BUTTON. You should push a button, wait till the animation is about to be over then push another button, repeat it. Then you can make a really deadly combo. But people seem to miss that. They think that combat is not responsive because Geralt has to "make a move" (finish the animation) and only then he'll be able to make the next move. It's sort of turn-based. The system is designed for button pushing, it falls apart with button mashing.

After 1.2 the game is much more friendly to rapidly pressing the same attack button. If you spam light or heavy attack you will go through all the different animations in order. It wasn't quite like that before 1.2.

Solo said:
Suspect: Thorak - where can I find the chest that the key I picked up from Thorak is used for?

You can only complete the quest if you haven't
made a decision about Stennis

There is a little lockbox in his crib (he hangs out in front of it).

Ultrabum

I want to play this game so bad, but I'm still in chapter 4 of the Witcher 1....

I just got a new 1080p monitor too!!!!

Must not play, must beat The Witcher 1.......

Gvaz

Banned
The Witcher 1 was a great game, other than the backtracking *shudder* but this game shits all over it and everything else since like, KOTOR2.

knitoe said:
Anyone finish insane from being to end? I am trying my 5th time and haven't even gotten to chapter 2.
I'm not trying insane again until they fix the control lock up bug. It's too annoying having to reload all the time because you can't risk taking damage to unlock them again.

Gvaz

Banned
You guys saw the Yahtzee review right? God damn, he's your typical console gamer (no offense to you people ITT who aren't idiots who dabble in consoles) if I ever saw one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gvaz said:
You guys saw the Yahtzee review right? God damn, he's your typical console gamer (no offense to you people ITT who aren't idiots who dabble in consoles) if I ever saw one.
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to go ahead and guess he complained that it was 1) obtuse and without proper hand holding and 2) ass hard.

That's typically what he complains about.

Gvaz

Banned
thetrin said:
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to go ahead and guess he complained that it was 1) obtuse and without proper hand holding and 2) ass hard.

That's typically what he complains about.
He rants on PC gamers for like half of the video and complains he didn't understand what the fuck he was doing, even though all this shit was documented in the game or manual.

thetrin said:
1) obtuse and without proper hand holding and 2) ass hard.

To a T

I'm not understanding why reviewers are so comfortable ripping on the games combat, it's an RPG. Concessions are usually made since the focal point is the role playing aspect which is damn fucking good in this game.

I'm 100% sure ME3 combat won't get compared to Vanquish. Though if they could get Vanquish combat into ME3 I would jizz like a geyser.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gvaz said:

He actually liked a bunch of PC classics though, Painkiller comes to mind but there's more. He has some sort of good taste in a few PC titles. He likes some newer stuff too, like Portal as well.

But I still stand by my opinion a reviewer should judge games on atleast high, if not max settings. I guess it's nice to have someone telling you how it is on the lower settings, but you don't always get to experience the game in as nice a way if you can't run it well, there are some jarring differences in some games, especially if you don't have a good framerate. But he's not a real reviewer anyway, he just threw it on low, and went with it for as long as he could, which was quite a bit longer than he lasted in TW1.

thetrin

I just watched the Yahtzee review. Nightmarishly long? The game is like, 30 hours.

I usually don't pull apart Yahtzee's reviews, as they usually have a lot of good points, but it seems his biggest complaints are:

1) I suck at the game
2) I didn't bother to read anything to learn how to do things
3) This game is too complex
4) This game is relentless, and doesn't fulfill my rampant desire for power fantasy.

Minsc said:
He actually liked a bunch of PC classics though, Painkiller comes to mind but there's more. He has some sort of good taste in a few PC titles. He likes some newer stuff too, like Portal as well.

But I still stand by my opinion a reviewer should judge games on atleast high, if not max settings. I guess it's nice to have someone telling you how it is on the lower settings, but you don't always get to experience the game in as nice a way if you can't run it well, there are some jarring differences in some games, especially if you don't have a good framerate. But he's not a real reviewer anyway, he just threw it on low, and went with it for as long as he could, which was quite a bit longer than he lasted in TW1.
Painkiller and Portal are both great games that also do not suffer from his main complaint: the game is complex and requires reading the documentation.

I honestly never thought we'd get to a point where we'd actually dock games marks for requiring us to actually learn the rules of the game. It's like playing Scrabble and then raging when we don't win because we didn't read the rules beforehand.

Solo

Just reached Loc Muinne on my Iorveth playthrough. Another couple of hours and my time with the game will come to an end, at least until an expansion hits or until a few months before The Witcher 3 hits.

Fredescu

I think I'm about to finish Chapter 2 on the Roche path, but I have a question about the Quarry near Vergen. I went down there and killed a bunch of harpies and found a pile of rocks and a locked door. Is this something you can only open if you do Ivorveth's path?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fredescu said:
I think I'm about to finish Chapter 2 on the Roche path, but I have a question about the Quarry near Vergen. I went down there and killed a bunch of harpies and found a pile of rocks and a locked door. Is this something you can only open if you do Ivorveth's path?

Yea the Harpies are the Iorveth path notice board contract.

thetrin said:
I just watched the Yahtzee review. Nightmarishly long? The game is like, 30 hours.

I usually don't pull apart Yahtzee's reviews, as they usually have a lot of good points, but it seems his biggest complaints are:

1) I suck at the game
2) I didn't bother to read anything to learn how to do things
3) This game is too complex
4) This game is relentless, and doesn't fulfill my rampant desire for power fantasy.

Honestly I think that he spent too much time in the review trolling the audience and not trolling the game, but that's just me. I usually enjoy it when he attacks a game I've just played and really enjoyed because most of his gripes are things I've noticed but haven't put under a microscope like he does.

This review didn't have enough of that in my opinion, it was more akin to a review of a first party Nintendo game where he spends the whole review making fun of Nintendo fans.

Hawk269

I had to start over and decided to start the game on hard and boy did they nerf the Prologue big time. I died alot on normal and with hard I think I died only 2 times for the entire prologue. But for those that played past the prologue on hard, is it really hard or is as easy as the new nerfed prologue?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Hawk269 said:
I had to start over and decided to start the game on hard and boy did they nerf the Prologue big time. I died alot on normal and with hard I think I died only 2 times for the entire prologue. But for those that played past the prologue on hard, is it really hard or is as easy as the new nerfed prologue?

It was a bit harder but it's still not a walk in the park. I must say that everything was like 50% easier on the second playthrough.

How do you tell the degrees on the ballista part in the prologue? I know it's supposed to aim for 1.5 degrees, but I don't know how. Gamepad is extremely jumpy at that part too.

GillianSeed79 said:
How do you tell the degrees on the ballista part in the prologue? I know it's supposed to aim for 1.5 degrees, but I don't know how. Gamepad is extremely jumpy at that part too.
Just aim for the spot between the two dudes you can see in the scope and about level with the lip of the wooden wall they're behind.

Punk ass Prince Penis

I decided on doing the 'neutral' thing this time around and left Saskia to pass judgement on Stennis. For some reason this never happens, or maybe she decides that he was innocent and you don't get to see it. Either way there is still that same dude in Loc Muinne that says that he was crowned King in Vengerberg two days prior. I was hoping it'd be a different outcome but it was the same fucking thing.

I really wanted to see his bitch ass locked in a dungeon getting passed around by some hard as fuck dwarves :(

subversus said:
Do I have to kill
la Vallete
to see his mother if I use a trapdoor?
So you missed it too? I feel less bad now. >8D

Asking again, htting the mark with the ballista introduces any changes in the level?

A sugestion to players using a pad. Put inventory in the back button and journal to up on the Dpad.

krzy123

subversus said:
Do I have to kill
la Vallete
to see his mother if I use a trapdoor?

I redid this part yesterday, the answer is yes, the alternate scene is you see
la Vallete being totured, and force to sign the document that you read later after killing the torturer

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Refreshment.01 said:
So you missed it too? I feel less bad now. >8D

Asking again, htting the mark with the ballista introduces any changes in the level?

A sugestion to players using a pad. Put inventory in the back button and journal to up on the Dpad.

mmmm.... it doesn't let me map inventory and journal. How do you do that?

Also I think the ballista is scripted.

Osietra

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Just beat the prologue. I love this game. The combat is handled really well and just the general atmosphere of the game is so good.
The combat clicked for me when I realized it's like a basic (not in a bad way) version of Batman AAs'.

Solo

Aside from mashing every possible combination, is there an easier way to open the chests in Loc Muinne (the two rooms where you have to hit the 4 runes in the right order)?

gokieks

Solo said:
Aside from mashing every possible combination, is there an easier way to open the chests in Loc Muinne (the two rooms where you have to hit the 4 runes in the right order)?

Well, they're actually puzzles that you can solve using note in the room and the books that you can by from one of the vendors, but if you just want the solution:

There are 3 rooms, and according to the guide that comes with the GOG version, one of two possible solutions to each are chosen at random:

Room to the left of the main city gate (south):
1) rune on the wall to the right from the entrance, rune on the wall to the right, rune on the floor to the left and finally rune on the floor near the chest.
2) rune on the wall to the left from the entrance, rune on the floor to the left, rune on the floor near the chest, rune to the right of the entrance.

Room to the right of the main city gate (north):
1) rune on the wall to the right of the entrance, rune on the floor to the right of the entrance, rune on the wall to the left, rune on the floor to the left.
2) rune on the floor to the left of the entrance, rune on the wall to the right, rune on the floor to the right, rune on the wall to the left.

Room in the ruins near the amphitheatre:
1) rune on the floor to the left of the entrance, rune on the floor to the right, rune on the wall to the left, rune on the wall to the right.
2) rune on the floor to the right of the entrance, rune on the floor to the left, rune on the wall to the left, rune on the wall to the right.

Gvaz

Banned
I had to look up a guide, I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. It mentioned symbols and shit but nothing mentioned looked like what was displayed in the room.

subversus said:
mmmm.... it doesn't let me map inventory and journal. How do you do that?

Also I think the ballista is scripted.
Well i did it manually, i also forgot to tell you that i switched adrenaline to rightthumbstick click, is better this way since you don't need to move your hand as much. Here are the adjustments to the user.ini:

IK_Pad_Back_Select=(GameKey="GI_Inventory",Value=1)
IK_Pad_DigitUp=(GameKey="GI_Journal",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightThumb=(Gamekey=GI_Adrenaline,Value=1.000000)

Tell me if it works Subversus.

Also some people like to put next sign to left dpad and next item to right Dpad, for example. Geralt has an auto sword selection when hes facing enemies but can also quickly select the correct sword from the radial menu, it even works as fast as selecting from the dpad. CDProjekt could have mapped all swords plus sheath to down on the dpad with no problems while leaving the other 3 directions for better things.

I meant the ballista king Foltest fires while Geralt gives him the aiming coordinates. 1.5 degrees is the correct adjustment so it hits the target.

jim-jam bongs said:
Nah it's just a cheese mint.
Guess is still interesting that you can take out the guys, i failed to do so in my first 2 walkthroughs.
Solo said:
Just read the 4 magic books from the sellers in Lock Muin. I think you just need to memorize or recognize 5 of them. Very few puzzle's in this game so its kind of a waste to spoil them with a guide. You can protect Geralt with Quen so you don't take any damage if you fail. I really which this type of western RPG's could incorporate more puzzle elements.
Xilium said:
I think the main ones you needed to know were the ones for animal, sky, weather, and time. I think it was usually 3 of those and then one other. The riddle itself is to just associate those terms with the phrases of the short excerpt in the room.
Yes, also death and joy from what i can remember.

Question:
In Phillipas room at lock Muin, when using the notes to start the spell for the dagger. Can you use any of the 4 diagrams to initiate the sequence? I just used the left most one because i thought all 4 of them were needed.
Turns out one is enough.

Xilium

I think the main ones you needed to know were the ones for animal, sky, weather, and time. I think it was usually 3 of those and then one other. The riddle itself is to just associate those terms with the phrases of the short excerpt in the room.

knitoe

Gvaz said:
I had to look up a guide, I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. It mentioned symbols and shit but nothing mentioned looked like what was displayed in the room.
The four runes always mean:
Sky (diamond with slash through it)
Art/beauty (looks like a harp)
Animal (S-shaped snake symbol)
Time (hourglass)

Read the book in each room. It will tell you which order to push the runes. There are only 3 lines so 1 line has clues to 2 runes.

Solo

Just beat the game for the second time on my Iorveth playthrough. Killed dat kingslayer this time. And like I said after I beat it last time on my Roche playthrough: GOTY.

Gvaz

Banned
knitoe said:
The four runes always mean:
Sky (diamond with slash through it)
Art/beauty (looks like a harp)
Animal (S-shaped snake symbol)
Time (hourglass)

Read the book in each room. It will tell you which order to push the runes. There are only 3 lines so 1 line has clues to 2 runes.
I might have gotten the last one (I thougth they were bastardizations of signs like that last one I thought "Ydren" but that didn't work.

The rest, those never even began to cross my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom