• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
The multiple 9gb patches on Steam have been frustrating to deal with. A lot of people are still playing 1.0 and not 1.2 so there isn't consistent feedback or discussion. I played through the entire game on 1.0 since Steam didn't put 1.2 up until monday, and then I'm not sure I want to drop so much bandwidth on what seems like a minor patch.

Anyway I might give it another go on 1.2 and see if I notice anything different.

Tenck

Till I get a reply from CDProjekt regarding my issues, I have the official soundtrack to go along with my nice and shiny box set :)

Everyone deserves to hear it. It's so amazing, that it's easily becoming my favorite soundtrack for a video game. *sniff*

C2Q

Banned
I got that counter kill move but for some reason it never works. I'm supposed to block and click right before their attack hits me and I try it all the time but i always end up getting hit. What the hell?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zabojnik said:
This is a silly question at this point, I'm aware, but I have to ask. You can't go back to Flotsam or Vergen once you've moved on to the next chapter, right?

You can't

Solo

C2Q said:
I got that counter kill move but for some reason it never works. I'm supposed to block and click right before their attack hits me and I try it all the time but i always end up getting hit. What the hell?

Look at the icon above the target enemy's head. It will flash when its time.

So I bought the game through GoG, but a few things confuses me. It did some kind of patching at the installation, but I suspect that I don´t have the 1.2 patch since I cant delete save games with the delete key.

How do I see which version I have, and how do GoG normally patch games? Is it always autopatch, or do I have to download it myself?

subversus

CecilRousso said:
So I bought the game through GoG, but a few things confuses me. It did some kind of patching at the installation, but I suspect that I don´t have the 1.2 patch since I cant delete save games with the delete key.

How do I see which version I have, and how do GoG normally patch games? Is it always autopatch, or do I have to download it myself?

go to your gog account, open TW2 on the shelf, scroll down to the patch.

Peff

subversus said:
But only for a VERY short period of time

I don't know if they changed it in the latest patch, but you have a LOT of time after the icon flashes to execute Riposte, it's a bit janky.

subversus

Peff said:
I don't know if they changed it in the latest patch, but you have a LOT of time after the icon flashes to execute Riposte, it's a bit janky.

oh ok.

I haven't used it after the patch.

Forkball

Damn mobs spawn like crazy in this game, especially nekkers. Those bastards come out of nowhere and in droves, especially in caves. I also got bumrushed by a bunch of endrega, I had to retreat or else I would've certainly been dead.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Forkball said:
Damn mobs spawn like crazy in this game, especially nekkers. Those bastards come out of nowhere and in droves, especially in caves. I also got bumrushed by a bunch of endrega, I had to retreat or else I would've certainly been dead.

Yea you can get overwhelmed really easily in that forest. However the later chapters aren't so bad, especially if you get the roll/backstab upgrades.

As for surviving chapter 1 itself, use bombs, lots and lots of bombs. Grapeshots are cheap and do decent AOE damage.

Mashing

Damn it, is there a mod that puts in alt-functionality like the first game? The medallion is not an adequate substitute for this functionality. It's too fucking hard to locate plants and herbs (as well as lootable containers) without that. Maybe it gets better (lower cooldown on medallion?)

nataku

I'm currently on the Royal Blood quest and need to talk to the servant, but I have no clue where he's at. I know where his home is, but he's not there. The game says he's being protected by scoia'tael, but... where? I've been running all over looking at every squirrel I know of and I can't find the servant at all.

Talking to the peasants in the game was useless. All they told me was he's in his shack, being protected by squirrels, which is incredibly vague and unhelpful.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was struggling in the beginning, but now that I'm almost through Ch2 battles are shockingly easy. Is that just how things go, or did the patches turn the difficulty down in places other than the prologue?

His house is pretty damn close to the centre of activity, run out the end and his house is on the left above a small hill.

There are some squirrels standing out front.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is the 4:3 patch out?

Exuro

mattiewheels said:
I was struggling in the beginning, but now that I'm almost through Ch2 battles are shockingly easy. Is that just how things go, or did the patches turn the difficulty down in places other than the prologue?
It's a mixture of you getting more powerful and you "mastering" the combat. The game just isn't balanced well enough to retain the same difficulty throughout the game when you're advancing through a skill tree. It felt that as the game progressed I could play sloppy and sloppier without punishment unlike the prologue and chapter 1.

Tokubetsu

Exuro said:
It's a mixture of you getting more powerful and you "mastering" the combat. The game just isn't balanced well enough to retain the same difficulty throughout the game when you're advancing through a skill tree. It felt that as the game progressed I could play sloppy and sloppier without punishment unlike the prologue and chapter 1.

Yea. To be fair though, before the patched the prologue I did another play through and it didn't give me any problems either. Once the combat clicks with you, all you'll need is roll and yrden.

Stupid question. I downloaded a Witcher 1 save from Mega Manager. Where do I put that file? In the Witcher 1 one directories or the Witcher 2? Specifically which folder? No matter what I do I can't seem to be able to import the save into Witcher 2. Thanks.

gokieks

GillianSeed79 said:
Stupid question. I downloaded a Witcher 1 save from Mega Manager. Where do I put that file? In the Witcher 1 one directories or the Witcher 2? Specifically which folder? No matter what I do I can't seem to be able to import the save into Witcher 2. Thanks.

My Documents\The Witcher\saves\

Minsc

Gold Member
Yurt said:
News about patch 1.3

Amazing, never would I have imagined they'd add in 4:3 support. I wonder if they did it half-assed though (16:9 inventory and dialog screens). I can't even imagine how they'd rework the two halves of the inventory screen to occupy so much less width that it fits on 4:3. Will be the first thing I check out when 1.3 hits, and I also have to eat my words about them never putting 4:3 in, damnit. Old school crow is the worst.

krzy123

Forkball said:

I've done most of the sidequests in Ch. 1, but it seems to me you might be near some
Nekker nests as part of the Nekker contract
, there seems to be alot of Endrega which respawn it seems, near the non-Lobinden exit of Flotsam. Does killing the
Endrega queens reduce the respawn rate?

The hardest battle I had so far where the
The Scoia'tel ambush by the waterfall, as a part of the Melena sidequest, when you lie about the caves, but setting up some conflagration traps before hand + the stun bomb helped a lot
. I did this real early in Ch. 1.

krzy123 said:
I've done most of the sidequests in Ch. 1, but it seems to me you might be near some
Nekker nests as part of the Nekker contract
, there seems to be alot of Endrega which respawn it seems, near the non-Lobinden exit of Flotsam. Does killing the
Endrega queens reduce the respawn rate?
Yes, respawn rates did drop dramatically after those quests, at least that's what i think. In my second run did those quest early and the only thing that keep bugging me in the woods were those traps.

The hardest battle I had so far where the
The Scoia'tel ambush by the waterfall, as a part of the Melena sidequest, when you lie about the caves, but setting up some conflagration traps before hand + the stun bomb helped a lot
. I did this real early in Ch. 1.
The coolest and hardest part to me was guessing where did she ended up, did you had trouble finding her? I lost her in the middle of the chaos, of the alternatives to end the quest this is the hardest one. Also what was your final desicion?

krzy123

Refreshment.01 said:
Yes, respawn rates did drop dramatically after those quests, at least that's what i think. In my second run did those quest early and the only thing that keep bugging me in the woods were those traps.

Those traps are annoying :|. The
Queens gave me trouble at first
but i got the timing down, and beat the second one w/o using anything really, except quen to minimize occasional damage.

The coolest and hardest part to me was guessing where did she ended up, did you had trouble finding her? I lost her in the middle of the chaos, of the alternatives to end the quest this is the hardest one. Also what was your final desicion?

Haven't found her yet. Its one of the few side-quests i have to finish. I just remember cursing up a storm about that fight, and being stubborn about it.
She said something about not waiting at the waterfall too long, not sure if thats true or not.
Being a hoarder early in this game is counter-productive and makes things harder than they need to be. Might as well start using the items before i become a badass.

krzy123 said:
Haven't found her yet. Its one of the few side-quests i have to finish. I just remember cursing up a storm about that fight, and being stubborn about it.
She said something about not waiting at the waterfall too long, not sure if thats true or not.
Being a hoarder early in this game is counter-productive and makes things harder than they need to be. Might as well start using the items before i become a badass.
Ah ok, won't keep asking to not spoil things :D A good way to crowd control is Axia plus having those mind controlling bombs always available. While the drones and other enemies are fighting each other take sometime to set some traps, for example. Really cool.

matmanx1

Just finished my first play through today on Iorveth's path. It was an awesome ride and the last hour or two were among my favorite in the entire game. The stakes ramped up, the encounters got even more epic and all the cards finally got put on the table.

I seriously do not get the complaints about the ending. Perhaps I just was fortunate to get a "good" one but I got resolution on most everything that I wanted to see resolved for this story while still leaving plenty of meat on the bone for future games. I know who Assassinated the Kings and why. I know what the Wild Hunt is. I know where
Yennifer
is and that
she's alive
. I saved
Triss
and if the political situation in the Northern Kingdoms is uncertain and facing war, well, it pretty much always has been in the Witcher universe. The plotline of this game works within the confines of The Witcher books and universe and does it very well.

I loved the story, I loved the graphics and music, and the gameplay (after the somewhat frustrating prologue) got to be very fun indeed. Fabulous job, CD Projekt and please don't make us wait to long for part 3!!

matmanx1 said:
Just finished my first play through today on Iorveth's path. It was an awesome ride and the last hour or two were among my favorite in the entire game. The stakes ramped up, the encounters got even more epic and all the cards finally got put on the table.

I seriously do not get the complaints about the ending. Perhaps I just was fortunate to get a "good" one but I got resolution on most everything that I wanted to see resolved for this story while still leaving plenty of meat on the bone for future games. I know who Assassinated the Kings and why. I know what the Wild Hunt is. I know where
Yennifer
is and that
she's alive
. I saved
Triss
and if the political situation in the Northern Kingdoms is uncertain and facing war, well, it pretty much always has been in the Witcher universe. The plotline of this game works within the confines of The Witcher books and universe and does it very well.

I loved the story, I loved the graphics and music, and the gameplay (after the somewhat frustrating prologue) got to be very fun indeed. Fabulous job, CD Projekt and please don't make us wait to long for part 3!!

I went with Roche and his path was satisfying as well. I would seriously like the reviewers to do spoiler discussions as I'd like to understand why they felt the 3rd Act and conclusion sucked.

Salaadin

Gully State said:
I went with Roche and his path was satisfying as well. I would seriously like the reviewers to do spoiler discussions as I'd like to understand why they felt the 3rd Act and conclusion sucked.

I think its probably because of how rushed and sudden it felt. You can easily spend 10 hours in Act 3 if you do everything but if you initiate the 3 or 4 story quests too soon, youre at the end in 45 mins.

dwebo

matmanx1 said:
I know who Assassinated the Kings and why. I know what the Wild Hunt is. I know where
Yennifer
is and that
she's alive
. I saved
Triss
and if the political situation in the Northern Kingdoms is uncertain and facing war, well, it pretty much always has been in the Witcher universe.
Too much learning, too little doing.

dwebo said:
Too much learning, too little doing.

Given the context of situation, I think it's a plausible way of concluding things. I suppose there could've been more sidequests in Act III to flesh out the area a bit more but the ending
bit being dialogue heavy didn't bother me at all

matmanx1 said:
JI seriously do not get the complaints about the ending. Perhaps I just was fortunate to get a "good" one but I got resolution on most everything that I wanted to see resolved for this story while still leaving plenty of meat on the bone for future games. I know who Assassinated the Kings and why. I know what the Wild Hunt is. I know where
Yennifer
is and that
she's alive
. I saved
Triss
Just to play Devil's advocate here I'll address the possible issues people could have with that ending. I also enjoyed the ending for the most part, but here are the issues I see.

• As most pointed out Act 3 is way shorter than the first 2. Coming up with a few more main quest steps would have helped the game feel more even.
  • You know who assassinated the King and why but you don't get to do anything about the ones truly responsible. The last 2 boss fights were essentially fighting middle management. The higher ups reserved for the sequel. Even the
    mages either get away or are dealt with by someone other than you.
    Your enjoyment rests on if you think the main goal is to literally take down the assassins or if your goal is to take down those responsible for the assassination plot. Compare that to the first game where you set out to find out who stole the Witcher mutagen secrets and why. By the end of the game you've found out everything and dealt completely with all responsible.
  • If you're fresh into this game you've never met the Wild Hunt or
    Yennifer
    so you might not even know what the big deal really is. But it's a sequel, so it could be expected that you have some previous knowledge. Even if you've played the first game you still don't know
    Yennifer
    and it's very possible to not see the Wild Hunt until the end of the game, which comes completely out of nowhere if you missed the side quests. That side plot, while important to fans of the universe, is very detached from anything you're actually experiencing in the game.
Overall it feels like an ending that's aimed for people like us who are already invested in the world rather than an ending that is satisfying on its own.

Also has a bit of Trilogyitis to it, where every company wants to make their Empire Strikes Back after having a successful stand alone first game. Making things look bad for the good guys and setting up the next game takes priority over a fully satisfying conclusion far too often these days.

Minsc said:
Amazing, never would I have imagined they'd add in 4:3 support. I wonder if they did it half-assed though (16:9 inventory and dialog screens). I can't even imagine how they'd rework the two halves of the inventory screen to occupy so much less width that it fits on 4:3. Will be the first thing I check out when 1.3 hits, and I also have to eat my words about them never putting 4:3 in, damnit. Old school crow is the worst.

Still no 16:10 :(

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I just started playing this game and I have noticed that the audio has ticks anytime there is a FMV (like the intro that shows the nvidia symbol). Is anyone having a similar issue?

kitch9

Banned
Do you think they could have used a smaller font?

I'm playing on a 50" screen and can't see or read shit. No idea what's going on at times.

Gully State said:
Given the context of situation, I think it's a plausible way of concluding things. I suppose there could've been more sidequests in Act III to flesh out the area a bit more but the ending
bit being dialogue heavy didn't bother me at all
People these days expect the big bang in your face closing cinematic to signal the ending of the journey (the Grand Bukake as its called), can't have it any other way 8D

What's great is that CDProjekt gave a small detail in Letho's discurse that explains why everything is dropped into Geralt so suddenly.

Red

kitch9 said:
Do you think they could have used a smaller font?

I'm playing on a 50" screen and can't see or read shit. No idea what's going on at times.
One of the downsides of comfy couch PC gaming unfortunately :(

Wish games had a TV mode for those of us who don't play on monitors.

Gvaz

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
witcher saves folder is 1.36gb and i just started chapter 3, gotta clean this shit up afterwards
This post is BABIES

Come back when your save folder is over 3 GIGS by chapter 3. :D

Solo

I just deleted saves continuously throughout. All I have left are my 2 post-completion saves for Roche and Ioverth.

Just finished my first play through. Awesome game but the combat seems really off to me. Depending on the enemies and your abilities fights can be way too easy or way too hard.

I was playing on Hard, but even then I don't think it's right that some regular enemies can outright kill you in a few hits if you don't have Quen. If you do have quen you're basically invincible.

Maybe I just messed up my skills but I dunno, the combat seems off. In the original the progression felt a lot more natural to me. I chose a mix between mage and swordsman, perhaps going pure mage or pure swordsman would fix it.

I found the only real method of fighting and defeating the end boss was to use my swords even though my magic abilities had more points spent in them. That just seems like odd design.

I also don't like that the final boss could KO me in a few hits, I dont want to build up a character to such a high level to be killed so easily. I mean he is supposed to be a tough character, but so am I. Basically: Geralt needs more health :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Superimposer said:
Those of you playing on the highest settings, what are your specs? Trying to help a friend with a PC build and he doesn't know what to get, I figured The Witcher 2 on highest settings would be a pretty good benchmark given he's thinking of spending around £800 (read about $1000 I would estimate given the increased cost of parts here)
Yeah, my rig cost $800 without an OEM win7, and I run on Ultra with a great fps. Over $1000 is total overkill.

C2Q

Banned
Oh ok thanks.

One last thing. most of the time I can get a stable 29-32 fps with my settings but there are frequent FPS drops to like 18-20 fps and my gpu usage goes down to 50-60%. Does anyone know why? Why cant it just stay at 99% and give me 30 fps consistently.

Inkwell

Banned
DEAR GOD. Not finished with the game yet, but just beat
The Operator
. I'm only playing on normal and that was really difficult. My first set of attempts I didn't use any potions/oils and didn't have that great of armor. I almost decided to
just get the respec
, but went back for the best armor. I used some potions and oiled up my blades right before the fight. Was still freaking difficult. I let out this primal victorious yell when it was finally over. Thinking about it, I haven't bought any potion or oil diagrams besides ones required for quests. There's probably some better ones I could have used.

fucking gargoyles man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom