• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Inkwell said:
I let out this primal victorious yell when it was finally over.
I still haven't fought him (
sold the stupid item to dethmold
) and I'm hoping to hit him up on this currently playthrough but I couldn't help but laugh out loud at that line. Can't wait to fight him.

krzy123

Refreshment.01 said:
Ah ok, won't keep asking to not spoil things :D A good way to crowd control is Axia plus having those mind controlling bombs always available. While the drones and other enemies are fighting each other take sometime to set some traps, for example. Really cool.

I ended up having her
initially killed, but she dropped nothing of use so I reloaded and had her arrested, also had the other two guys arrested too (Claws of Madness SQ)

Yeah I actually ended up using Axii in the
Claws of Madness and Metelite's Heart
sidequests, it was real useful, especially the latter quest. I dunno if it was messed up on my end or there is some sort of time/kill limit.
I ended up having to protect Anezaka for over 10 minutes (drank a swallow before hand, it ran out, also had the two nearby circles activated), so I'm thinking there was a time limit + a number of wraiths that needed to be killed or something. Had to reload that section a couple of times because she would stop the ritual

krzy123 said:
I ended up having her
initially killed, but she dropped nothing of use so I reloaded and had her arrested, also had the other two guys arrested too (Claws of Madness SQ)

Yeah I actually ended up using Axii in the
Claws of Madness and Metelite's Heart
sidequests, it was real useful, especially the latter quest.
I feed her the sword sandwich faster than she could move that filthy lying mouth of hers. I which bodies of the important characters wouldn't dissapear in this game when Geralt slays them, so they can serve as an example.

In Claws of Madness what's the point of fetching the
pig heart and eyes
since you can't fool the guy. So i ended up backtracking all the way to town for nothing.
VisanidethDM said:
How did I miss DPSgaming's playthrough on Youtube? It's hypnotizing.
What's so good about it? Only run i would like to see is a speed play in hard or nightmare.
VisanidethDM said:
Have you ever seen a DSP playthrough?

You know when we lament devs dumbing games down for people?
Your answer has me even more confused :D I'll check it out later in the day.

Forkball

So I got a better sword than Aerondight even with enhancements. Kinda sad, the Lady of the Lake gave me that sword and it looked totally badass. My new sword looks like crap. CRAP I SAY.

Your starting weapons are pretty carp and quickly become pointless, I had Aerondight and another named sword from my Witcher 1 save but both were useless by the end of chapter 1. Would be nice if they scaled with your level or something. Same goes for Armour, had Ravens set which was supposed to be amazing, useless compared to anything after the first 5 hours :p

matmanx1

Alright so who is the
Operator
I see everyone talking about and how do you encounter it?

Man I missed alot on my first playthrough! Oh well, still lots of fun to be had with this one, yet.

And thinking more about the ending I guess if you aren't a fan of the series and familiar with the books then I can see how it would be disappointing to you. For me, however, it was utterly cool because for me The Witcher has always been about the story first and foremost and that's what the ending did. It fleshed out the story in a real and cool way.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Alright so who is the
Operator
I see everyone talking about and how do you encounter it?

Roche's path only.

And thinking more about the ending I guess if you aren't a fan of the series and familiar with the books then I can see how it would be disappointing to you. For me, however, it was utterly cool because for me The Witcher has always been about the story first and foremost and that's what the ending did. It fleshed out the story in a real and cool way.

IMO,
The ending is underwhelming if you choose Triss instead of Roche/Iorveth. I'm not saying the ending with Triss is terrible, because it's really not :p. But you'll miss a huge chunk of awesomeness.

Salaadin

Yurt said:
Roche's path only.

Its still possible on Iorveths path. When you cross the mist from Vergen into Kaedwen Camp, you can run to the empty house on the beach and solve the puzzle to retrieve the scroll.

Yurt said:
Roche's path only.

I think it might be possible on Iorveth's path too
I don't think there is anything stopping you from going to the house by the beach when you have to decide how to get into the Nilgaardian camp. Not to say that I've successfully done it.

Wallach

Noticed that my retail copy was waiting for me when I got back today. Damn thing is heavy, good to see they are still owning everyone in terms of retail value & packaging. Witcher EE was the same way.

Is that one part in the prologue supposed to be a jab at Assasain's Creed? It's the part where you fight the guys at the ballista. If you walk to the end of courtyard there's a body face down in a white robe in a broken hay bail. Geralt says something like they'll never learn when you approach it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Next to the candles, Is that Triss's statue? I think you get a good look at it in Iorveth's path.

edit I'm probably confusing it with that other one though :( sorry.

Yurt said:
Next to the candles, Is that Triss's statue? I think you get a good look at it in Iorveth's path.

edit I'm probably confusing it with that other one though :( sorry.

lol nah it's not, but I thought it was too when I first saw it =]

It's also used as the (chapter 2)
father's gravestone near the hut on the hill.

Inkwell

Banned
Finally finished the game. I thought the story was OK, and pretty much just sets up the next game. I wish I knew a bit more about the lore and the novels. It might have had a bit more of an impact then. I'll be playing through the game again, but I think I'm going to take a break from it first.

The Big Rig said:
Ok I've finally got the Caerme and Addan Deith. Are they the best swords in the game?

Caerme is the best steel sword barring one you get if you help Roche on his path. There are a few silver swords in chapter 3 that have about the same attack power but have varying effects. As far as hitting power you're at the top.

Slap some Ysgith runes on both.

Xanathus

The Big Rig said:
Ok I've finally got the Caerme and Addan Deith. Are they the best swords in the game?

They're about the best, but there are alternatives available. Warning, possible minor spoilers:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Operator's_staff
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_vran_sword

There's also the Deithwen which is the best silver sword for the remainder of the game, no wiki entry for it though so just google where it is.

Inkwell

Banned
The Big Rig said:
Xanathus said:
They're about the best, but there are alternatives available. Warning, possible minor spoilers:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Operator's_staff
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_vran_sword

There's also the Deithwen which is the best silver sword for the remainder of the game, no wiki entry for it though so just google where it is.
This is pretty much correct. You have 2 great swords, but Deithwen is easily the best sword for chapter 3. I don't know why Deithwen isn't listed in the wiki, but here's another page with the stats: http://www.chalonverse.com/tw2db/item.php?id=4829.
Tokubetsu said:
Google search not turning up how to get Deithwen
To be quite honest I don't remember where I found it. There was a sword I found outside of Loc Muinne in an alcove. It was guarded by 2 arachas (arachae?). That might be it.

Oh yeah, I found that one too after killing the 2 arachii. I think it can only be had at the beginning of chapter 3. Don't think you can leave the city once you get in unless
you arrive with Roche otherwise the Order will attack you.

It's pretty useful until you complete the Gargoyle contract. After that I'd suggest switching to Zerri-whatever it is or Addan Deith.

Inkwell

Banned
toasty_T said:
Oh yeah, I found that one too after killing the 2 arachii. I think it can only be had at the beginning of chapter 3. Don't think you can leave the city once you get it unless
you arrive with Roche otherwise the Order will attack you.

It's pretty useful until you complete the Gargoyle contract. After that I'd suggest switching to Zerri-whatever it is or Addan Deith.
Well, I would argue that Deithwen might still be more useful. I can think of 2 situations:

The Operator

The Dragon

I could be missing something when calculating damage, at least for the 2nd one there.

jim-jam bongs said:
I liked your Geralt avatar better toasty.

You have something against muscular Amazonian butt? :p

Need to retake that Geralt pic on my next playthrough. It'd look better without bloom.

Inkwell said:
Well, I would argue that Deithwen might still be more useful. I can think of 2 situations:

The Operator

The Dragon

I could be missing something when calculating damage, at least for the 2nd one there.

Those two are definitely true and considering there aren't many battles aside from those two in the third chapter, it might not be a bad idea to stick with the Deithwen.

I prefer my higher base damage though.

Wallach

Well, it's installing now. Hopefully it finishes, ha.

I'll probably still go finish my TW1 save file before really digging into this, but I'm going to fire it up and poke around to see how it runs. If it's not suitable I'll probably grab a new GPU before diving in headlong.

Snuggler said:
I dunno, I'm partial towards giant, muscular lady ass.

toasty_T said:
You have something against muscular Amazonian butt? :p

Need to retake that Geralt pic on my next playthrough. It'd look better without bloom.

Yeah but it's just a little... too muscular, if you know what I mean. Like, pelvic floor exercises are one thing but by god she could clench and rip it clean off.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah but it's just a little... too muscular, if you know what I mean. Like, pelvic floor exercises are one thing but by god she could clench and rip it clean off.

Nothing risked, nothing gained.

I hope they make a chapter length expansion between chapters 2 and 3 to fill the week long trip to Loc Muinne.

Ideally it'll have a buddy cop dynamic with your bro of choice as you get into swashbuckling adventures while travelling with a caravan of gypsy whores as you trail blaze across the Northern kingdoms.

matmanx1

Salaadin said:
Its still possible on Iorveths path. When you cross the mist from Vergen into Kaedwen Camp, you can run to the empty house on the beach and solve the puzzle to retrieve the scroll.

I found the house on the beach but had no idea what was going on with it. On Iorveth's path there isn't anything I found that would clue you in to the fact that there's a side quest there unless I just missed it. Oh well.

Salaadin

matmanx1 said:
I found the house on the beach but had no idea what was going on with it. On Iorveth's path there isn't anything I found that would clue you in to the fact that there's a side quest there unless I just missed it. Oh well.

Its a bit more confusing on Iorveths path since
theres no "Little Sisters" quest to lead you there but Im pretty sure the puzzle to get Malgets note is solved by examining the graves just north of the house.

Youre right though, on Iorveths path theres no indication to even explore out that way, nothing to tell you what that house is, or anything to show you a relation between that house and the graves other than the fact that theyre close to eachother. The only reason I was able to solve that quest on Iorveths Path was because I already did Roches path and knew the solution.

Not to mention, when you walk through the mist, you are left off near the stream but that house is practically behind you. Most people probably zone into Kaedwen and just run straight towards camp not even realizing that there are paths behind you.

Salaadin said:
Youre right though, on Iorveths path theres no indication to even explore out that way, nothing to tell you what that house is, or anything to show you a relation between that house and the graves other than the fact that theyre close to eachother. The only reason I was able to solve that quest on Iorveths Path was because I already did Roches path and knew the solution.
I liked this a lot. You still have the option to solve the quest in Ioverth's path and the only way you knew about it is if you played Roache's one first. Some what similar, in the sense that it confuses the user, are the rocks in the Harpy's pit for the Dwarf black smith quest.

I'll ask again: In Claws of Madness giving pig heart/eyes instead of Nekker make any difference?

Also when you complete Metilete's Heart quest, does the medallion have any use? Didn't notice much difference in Grealt's vitality.

Salaadin

Refreshment.01 said:
I liked this a lot. You still have the option to solve the quest in Ioverth's path and the only way you knew about it is if you played Roache's one first. Some what similar, in the sense that it confuses the user, are the rocks in the Harpy's pit for the Dwarf black smith quest.

When I did Roches path, I never even took the right path at the candles and never met the trolls (are they even there on Roches path), never followed that long harpy path, and never found the shipwreck way up there. I literally thought I explored every section of that area.

On Iorveths path, that whole section was so new to me. I followed that instructions, followed the rocks, and found the chest. The next set of instructions was to "go right" or something like that. I scanned the area and sat there thinking "go righT? theres nowhere to go right", panned the camera up and saw that path way up there that I never saw before. I was shocked that I missed it my first time through.

Refreshment.01 said:
I'll ask again: In Claws of Madness giving pig heart/eyes instead of Nekker make any difference?

When I did it, he immediately realized that they were fake and attacked me

gokieks

Refreshment.01 said:

When I did it on my initial playthrough, his response made it seem like he accepted them as the real thing, but then he proceeded to become hostile anyway. That was in 1.0 though, so I don't know if it's been updated/fixed since then.

Has anyone played it with a gamepad? If so, which one? It doesn't recognize my Thrustmaster or my dualshock controller (PS2->USB convertor), which is weird because it would be the first PC game in at least 5 years that does not recognize either of those two controllers.

knitoe

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
Has anyone played it with a gamepad? If so, which one? It doesn't recognize my Thrustmaster or my dualshock controller (PS2->USB convertor), which is weird because it would be the first PC game in at least 5 years that does not recognize either of those two controllers.
Most of us play with the X360 controller. Pretty much the standard on PC now.

Salaadin said:
and never met the trolls (are they even there on Roches path),
In Roache's path
Trolls appear at the climax of chapter 2, when Geralt and Roach are escaping, the trolls are separated and fighting some soldiers,
i like to kill them in all my playthroughs anyway, don't want those guys derailing threads or causing havoc in message boards.

Salaadin said:
When I did it, he immediately realized that they were fake and attacked me
gokieks said:
When I did it on my initial playthrough, his response made it seem like he accepted them as the real thing, but then he proceeded to become hostile anyway. That was in 1.0 though, so I don't know if it's been updated/fixed since then.
This is a really strange quest decision, why give the option to get the pig eyes and heart when they are so out of the way, if the results are the same for nekker organs that are just so close and available for Geralt to take? gokieks, i gave the pig organs in patch 1.2 so they haven't changed anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom