• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Nekrono said:
So I hear the game is getting a preload on Steam, is it true?
Dev confirmed on a Gamestop Q/A. It's also getting TF2 items so it looks like it's getting the full Steam treatment. The guy said it "might" have been yesterday so today is looking like a good day for it to start.

Nekrono

Exuro said:
Dev confirmed on a Gamespot Q/A. It's also getting TF2 items so it looks like it's getting the full Steam treatment. The guy said it "might" have been yesterday so today is looking like a good day for it to start.
Sweet, I'm shall be getting it today then!

Exuro said:
Well you're pressing the button the same amount of times with either, so I don't understand how that would make one more of a chore than the other. This isn't going to play like Diablo where you're clicking like crazy/

No, I get that. But to me it is different and less pleasant to be clicking a ton on a mouse than a controller. Part of that might just be how I grew up- Console games- press button to jump, press a button to use fireball, swing your sword, etc. While PC tends to have more strategic games- explore and fewer clicks- King's Quest and the like early on. RTS games. Baldur's Gate. I just in my head associate PC games with click to assign an action and console games with press button and something awesome happens.

I realize that is no longer (and never really was) the actual case. But whether it is more comfortable in reality or just in my head, its just a concern I have. Like I said, not a huge issue. I'll probably just play around and find what I like best. But I don't think it is illogical to have a predisposition such as I have.

bengraven

Just saw this:

Q: Will the other DLC packs that are not a bonus to those who bought the game be available for download or packs.

A: Let me announce that all our DLCs will be FREE. All of them. If anything will be for purchase, those will be expansion packs. First DLC (side-quest called "Troll Trouble") airs together with the game release.

NICE!

Nekrono said:
So I hear the game is getting a preload on Steam, is it true?

No, that's a GOG exclusive I thought?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Salaadin said:
There was a Q&A last night that apparently said otherwise. I cant find a transcript so I dont know the direct quote.

Looks like this is what he said:

yes, might be wrong (sorry), but likely TODAY

I dunno, maybe it's happening but I think that's all we have heard of a Steam preload so far.

Exuro

From the Gamestop Q/A on facebook.

Q: Also, will there be a preload for Steam version? If so, when?

A: yes, might be wrong (sorry), but likely TODAY.

This combined with there being TF2 promo items is a good indicator that there will be a preload.

Salaadin

Thats kind of an odd quote. Hopefully there is one. The file size is too huge for everyone to be trying to get it all at once on Tuesday.

Complistic

Salaadin said:
Thats kind of an odd quote. Hopefully there is one. The file size is too huge for everyone to be trying to get it all at once on Tuesday.

I think the , i might be wrong sorry, was about his guess when not if there was a steam preload. If he didn't know for sure if there was a preload he wouldn't just blurt out a date. I know they typically dont start preloads during the weekend so its either today or monday.

How big of an effect would a save import have? I never played The Witcher 1, and I don't really have a desire to, but this looks awesome.

bengraven

Salaadin said:
There was a Q&A last night that apparently said otherwise. I cant find a transcript so I dont know the direct quote.

Hm, I hope so. Would be nice to just activate it at midnight.

Another question, what's the Steam exclusive content for this? I can't find anything on it: Gamestop gets the Merchant pack, Amazon gets the Swordsman suit, Steam gets?

Inferno313 said:
How big of an effect would a save import have? I never played The Witcher 1, and I don't really have a desire to, but this looks awesome.

There's actually four different INTROs, so I'm assuming thats depending on what your import was.

Fox318

PJcpW.jpg

Exuro

Complistic said:
I think the , i might be wrong sorry, was about his guess when not if there was a steam preload. If he didn't know for sure if there was a preload he wouldn't just blurt out a date. I know they typically dont start preloads during the weekend so its either today or monday.
But at the same time they have TF2 items to advertise so doing that on Monday sounds very late. Today honestly sounds like the most reasonable time.

bengraven said:
Hm, I hope so. Would be nice to just activate it at midnight.

Another question, what's the Steam exclusive content for this? I can't find anything on it: Gamestop gets the Merchant pack, Amazon gets the Swordsman suit, Steam gets?
Just the achievements and cloud save. And TF2 items if that counts.

bengraven

Exuro said:
But at the same time they have TF2 items to advertise so doing that on Monday sounds very late. Today honestly sounds like the most reasonable time.

Just the achievements and cloud save. And TF2 items if that counts.

Nah, only person on Steam without TF2. *shrugs*

I'll take achievements...just hope they release the other DLC for free or through mods later on. Yes, I am a whore, but I'm a proud whore.

bengraven said:
Nah, only person on Steam without TF2. *shrugs*

I'll take achievements...just hope they release the other DLC for free or through mods later on.

If I gifted you the game, would you give me the items?

bengraven

Fox318 said:
They might not be trade-able.

I was about to say "yes". I have promised everyone I will buy the game when it goes below $10 again. I just don't play MP games that much, especially ones with a deep, gifted community that will likely never allow me to grow better.

Mexx said:
Is normal PC version will be connected with Steam, and I'll be getting achievments?

Someone earlier in the thread told me the game has Steam activation, so technically you HAVE to use Steam to download and play.

No45

This is as good a place to ask this as any - it's Eurovision night tomorrow so I need something to keep me away from the living room at all costs. Does the original game work OK with Windows 7 64-bit? Ta. :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No45 said:
This is as good a place to ask this as any - it's Eurovision night tomorrow so I need something to keep me away from the living room at all costs. Does the original game work OK with Windows 7 64-bit? Ta. :)

Yes sir, it's what I played it on.

bengraven

I had a weird panicky moment just now. My hype has been off the charts for days, I preordered a year ago.

But will it run okay? Can I run it at all?

y88Z3.jpg

yeswecan.gif

No45

Snuggler said:
Yes sir, it's what I played it on.
Awesome, thanks. I kept on holding off on this waiting for the console version (I know, sorry) and then forgot when that version was cancelled. This (2) looks great, but I need to play the first to satisfy my OCD before I can start it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mexx said:
Is normal PC version will be connected with Steam, and I'll be getting achievments?

No, steam version is only version tied to steam, and the only version with achievements. All versions except GOG use securerom drm (including steam).

bengraven said:
I had a weird panicky moment just now. My hype has been off the charts for days, I preordered a year ago.

But will it run okay? Can I run it at all?

[]http://i.imgur.com/y88Z3.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo148/arampam/yes_we_can_3.png[/IMG]

Don't gloat too much, that GPU is below the recommended specs (CPU at 2.5GHz is also a little borderline). Probably no chance of high mode graphics :(

Kyaw

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm still looking into it. I will let you know what I find. I have done my own bindings but nothing this intensive so I need to find something not too pricey but still great quality. I'm thinking about doing a nice bas relief carving of the white wolf Emblem. I will contact you about printing when I figure it out what I'm going to do

Aye. Do tell us if you find any. :)
As long as the service isnt ridiculously pricey (£50+), I'm game.

My hype is beyond infinity.

Riposte

I get the feeling I shouldn't have watch that trailer. I hope the item they are trading in the beginning doesn't belong to who I think it does.

Kyaw

Not Foltest, i dont think. Maybe Demawend but the one in the trailer could be another one. :eek:

I'm not sure, i havent followed the books much.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
There's a hidden message at the end of the new trailer, it's mostly a cheeky thank you, but they do mention that this is part of a trio of launch trailers. they say "if you look on the net you can find two more: 'Love & Blood' and 'Disdain and Fear'."

They also tease their free day one DLC and make a joke about Witcher 2 showing up eventually on PS3.

Salaadin

MollyMillions said:
There's a hidden message at the end of the new trailer, it's mostly a cheeky thank you, but they do mention that this is part of a trio of launch trailers. they say "if you look on the net you can find two more: 'Love & Blood' and 'Disdain and Fear'."

They also tease their free day one DLC and make a joke about Witcher 2 showing up eventually on PS3.

Any chance you can screengrab that?

Complistic

Riposte said:
I get the feeling I shouldn't have watch that trailer. I hope the item they are trading in the beginning doesn't belong to who I think it does.

I'm almost positive that it doesn't. The trailer was incredibly light on the spoilers as far as launch trailers go. Though didn't they say they have launch "trailers". As in more than one?

Mrbob

Just ordered a copy on Steam. I love me some Steam Cloud. I'll take a pre load option even though I won't be playing it on day one!

Chesskid1

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
Does anybody have any thoughts on using a 360 gamepad? I usually prefer a mouse/keyboard combo. But it seems with realtime actions, the design of the menus, and the fact that they use the pad to demo it might make sense. Anything in the previews indicating any issues with the standard control set up?

it's a 3rd person button masher ala arkham asylum and not a shooter. it's pretty much one of the few genres id prefer playin on controller over kb/m imo, but both control schemes will be great imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom