• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Snuggler said:
Indeed. See, games like The Witcher and a few others do choice properly, meaning that there typically isn't a "wrong" way to do anything. You just do whatever the shit you want to do.

I'd hate for that guy to play Alpha Protocol, he'd probably have a seizure.

How's it btw ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yurt said:
How's it btw ?

I was very fond of it, I made a LTTP recently. Most people seem to agree that it has one of the best, if the the best choice and consequence system out there but opinions are split on the actual quality of the gameplay.

It's worth playing for the beard, though.

demolitio

Wow, I'm liking the new AMD drivers since it gave me a nice FPS boost in this game. I've never been so drawn to doing sidequests before, but this game has me trying to do everything. There's just so much to explore off the beaten path with lots of cool loot.

When the game looks this good, you pretty much have to check out every little area just for the screenshots. :p

Edit: Alpha Protocol's story was neat given the range of consequences from your actions, but the gameplay convinced me to sit the game down and I never ended up finishing it.

Tenck

Man, having to escape the jail think by extinguishing the flames of torches is pissing me off. I can't beat it at all. I'm in love with the game so far, but this is insane!!!!!!!

eiskaltnz

Tenck said:
Man, having to escape the jail think by extinguishing the flames of torches is pissing me off. I can't beat it at all. I'm in love with the game so far, but this is insane!!!!!!!

I don't think it is game over if you are seen. I seem to remember being caught and then just beating up all the guards that came for me (the rest of the level was quite empty after that).

Solo

Tenck said:

You don't need to play stealth.

krzy123

Chap 2. Fought and beat
the Draug
, weird thing happened, I couldn't attack at all during most of the fight. I could roll and dodge throw bombs, but any mouse input wasn't working. After my health was whittled down to 10-20% i could start attacking, still ended up winning but was annoying.

almost rage worthy.

Coldsnap

Snuggler said:
I was very fond of it, I made a LTTP recently. Most people seem to agree that it has one of the best, if the the best choice and consequence system out there but opinions are split on the actual quality of the gameplay.

It's worth playing for the beard, though.

Yet again you remind me Alpha Protocol should be the next game I play. I've been saying alright it will be my next game for about a year now though. Maybe it will be on a steam sale.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
krzy123 said:
Chap 2. Fought and beat
the Draug
, weird thing happened, I couldn't attack at all during most of the fight. I could roll and dodge throw bombs, but any mouse input wasn't working. After my health was whittled down to 10-20% i could start attacking, still ended up winning but was annoying.

almost rage worthy.

it's a known bug. You should get hit.

subversus

Tenck said:

stealth sections suck in this game. Also you can see through walls if you use a cat potion.

BlackDove

Banned
I don't see what's difficult with stealth?

Stay behind walls when the guards are coming at you. When they start walking away form you, get behind them and hit the right mouse button was it?

Turn off the lights as you pass them.

The end?

Gvaz

Banned
Come up behind them and press LMB or whatever it was.

Like every single stealth game/section ever sans the actual button in which to do the stealth kill.

Salaadin

I didnt like the way the stealth felt either. Its not bad but I prefer holding down a button to crouch or pushing against a wall with the analog stick. It gets to finicky when you have Geralt automatically adjusting himself based on where hes standing. There were a few times where I could swear I was behind a wall but Geralt would stand there and get spotted.

subversus

Salaadin said:
I didnt like the way the stealth felt either. Its not bad but I prefer holding down a button to crouch or pushing against a wall with the analog stick. It gets to finicky when you have Geralt automatically adjusting himself based on where hes standing. There were a few times where I could swear I was behind a wall but Geralt would stand there and get spotted.

this

Finished the game. Here were my choices:

1)
Killed Aryan LaValette. Told his mom in the dungeon it was do or die and Aryan fought bravely. She seemed to be at peace.
2) Banged Triss, bunch of hookers and Ves. Pretty sure I have gonorrhea by now.
3) In that ghost of nilfgaard quest where two guys are going mental in a destroyed field hospital, I chose to side with the guys over the nilfgaardian ghost, but still said they have to pay for their crimes and must answer to Loredo. Too bad they never got into his compound for some reason.
4) Sided with Roche over Iorveth when the meeting with Letho goes wrong at the Elven Ruins. I didn't give Iorveth his weapon.
5) Sided with Roche over Iorveth again when planning to take out Loredo. I wanted to side with Iorveth, because he seemed like a principled guy by now and Roche is coming off as a sadist and a racist. But I was more interested in clearing my name and recovering my memories.
6) Let Roche kill Henselt. I hated the bastard from the moment I saw him. And that's what he gets for trying to ambush me. Fat fuck.
7) Sided with Triss over Roche when it came time to either save Foltest's daughter or free Triss. Looked like Roche managed on his own, but Dethmold was able to flee.
8) Saved Sile De Tansarville when one of the stones in her teleport device malfunctioned. She gave me the location of Yennefer.
9) Decided to kill the dragon.
10) Decided to let Letho walk away. I had a feeling that if I were in his place, I'd have made the same choices. Besides, he took care of Yennefer when I was taken by the Hunt. He had no beef with me, and I had no allegiance to any of the kings and their kingdoms. Only stupid thing he did was plotting to kill Iorveth, and killing of some monk in his past.
11) Sided with Trolls and got Friend of Trolls achievement :3

Also I was able to achieve ultimate weapons and armor for Geralt. It's unfortunate that I was not able to use them a lot. It's also unfortunate that I was not able to fully level up my talents. I have a feeling that an entire chapter has been scrapped from the game for some reason. The game is definitely shorter than Witcher 1.

subversus

RustyNails said:
Also I was able to achieve ultimate weapons and armor for Geralt. It's unfortunate that I was not able to use them a lot. It's also unfortunate that I was not able to fully level up my talents. I have a feeling that an entire chapter has been scrapped from the game for some reason. The game is definitely shorter than Witcher 1.

It wasn't scrapped. Just imagine playing chapter II and chapter II. Here's your 50-60 hours.

BlackDove

Banned
They shouldn't have put the words "Chapter X" in the game.

People figured that because "Chapter" appears, that segment of the game will be equal to others, thus felt shocked "Chapter 3" is so "short".

Snuggler said:
Indeed. See, games like The Witcher and a few others do choice properly, meaning that there typically isn't a "wrong" way to do anything. You just do whatever the shit you want to do.

I'd hate for that guy to play Alpha Protocol, he'd probably have a seizure.

Sure, it's a little bit shameful, but hey, at least I'm supporting PC gaming and this style of game! Better to attempt it than to ignore it.

You've convinced me. I'm only level 10(?) I believe, so I'll throw out the guide and level up with abandon. Probably concentrate on potions & Swords. We'll see how I do.

I have played Alpha Protocol, that I found quite easy to choose, stealth all the way baby, and yes, it suffers from a fair amount of jank, but it's well worth a playthough, especially at the prices you can pick it up for now.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

with Iorveth you'll get a completely different chapter 2. And the story will come in full circle.

If you don't feel like replaying the whole game, reload a save in chapter 1 where they ask you
to either side with Roche or Iorveth
, that should do it.

RustyNails said:

It's similar in relative length as the original Witcher. Chapter 2 and 3 were significantly longer than chapters 4 and 5.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS DRAGON FIGHT IN CHAPTER 3.

Beat it easily in a couple of minutes or so in the tower, now the part on top of the tower is fucking retarded. I spent like 40 minutes trying to get its health down, rolling in and attacking then rolling out as fast as I can. Using Quen constantly. Thought I was doing something wrong but according to the internet this is the strategy. This is a fucking stupid bossfight that is ruining the whole game for me. Fuck you CDPR. I have spent 40 minutes three times now trying to kill it and getting raped by the fire, taking down a third of my health each time. Been using every fucking oil possible on my sword. Dropped the difficulty to easy and its the same not easier at all. I fucking give up on this piece of shit fucking game, learn better gameplay balance next time you idiots.

/vent

arotator

Neo Member
So I need to go fight the Kayran, I've basically done all the sidequests and sunk a bunch of time into Act 1, but everytime I go to find Sile she is at the dock and all she says is "We'd best get to work." I've read that she is supposed to be in her room, anyone know a way around this glitch?

subversus

Conflict NZ said:
WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS DRAGON FIGHT IN CHAPTER 3.

Beat it easily in a couple of minutes or so in the tower, now the part on top of the tower is fucking retarded. I spent like 40 minutes trying to get its health down, rolling in and attacking then rolling out as fast as I can. Using Quen constantly. Thought I was doing something wrong but according to the internet this is the strategy. This is a fucking stupid bossfight that is ruining the whole game for me. Fuck you CDPR. I have spent 40 minutes three times now trying to kill it and getting raped by the fire, taking down a third of my health each time. Been using every fucking oil possible on my sword. Dropped the difficulty to easy and its the same not easier at all. I fucking give up on this piece of shit fucking game, learn better gameplay balance next time you idiots.

/vent

Hahaha, you should have used STRONG blows. The thing went down in 5 minutes or so. If something doesn't work in mechanics, use your brain, that's the case with The Witcher 2. I was trying to kill a Golem for half an hour, almost broke the mouse, said fuck you CD Project, then I read the book about the creature and developed a tactic which worked.

subversus

toasty_T said:
I somehow regenerated health if I had quen up will the dragon was breathing fire on me.

I never got hit by fire in the first place. I've beaten the creature on hard btw.

I also recommend checking your sword (40 damage is minimum) and watch it on youtube if you have problems.

My tactic: quen, roll around, wait until he lands on the tower, let him attack, roll to him ight after he attacked, use one or two strong blows, roll back, quen again. You should always be protected by quen. I had the weakest quen and still it was ok.

Kenka

pahamrick said:
So I guess The Scent of Incense quest in chapter 1 is bugged if you follow a certain path?

I got the real formula, but refused to give it to the guy. Later on, him and several others jumped me in the forest. I killed them, and got the mission complete notice and all but it never completed in the journal. After checking the game guide, it seems if you refuse that they should knock you out and drag you to their hideout. I reloaded my save right before the fight, but all that happened was death and game over.

Figured killing them completed it, and moved along but now that I've got to the end of chapter 1 it suddenly displayed that the quest failed. Annoys me to no end to see a failed quest in my quest log.

Well, I got a question regarding this precise quest.
I accepted to go there blindfolded. Then, I get stuck in a tiny prison and the assaliants are supposed to attack me. The guys don't come though and I am stuck.
Any way to go forward ? Or is it a bug ?

Micius

Kenka said:
Well, I got a question regarding this precise quest.
I accepted to go there blindfolded. Then, I get stuck in a tiny prison and the assaliants are supposed to attack me. The guys don't come though and I am stuck.
Any way to go forward ? Or is it a bug ?

It's not a bug.
Break out of the barricade by using Aard.

Forkball

I beat the game, OPINION TIME.

For starters, here are my choices.

Transferred Order/Saved Adda/Triss save from Witcher 1. Killed Aryan La Vallette (tried to save him, but it seemed like I couldn't), Roche path, killed Henselt, saved Triss, let Sile escape (didn't know you could let her die), killed dragon, killed Letho (wolves > vipers amirite)

I thought it was a great game, a huge jump up from Witcher 1 in many aspects. It's still not perfect though, but the +s greatly outweighed the -s

+ DAT ARTSTYLE. Jesus, THIS is how you make a beautiful game. The colors were so vivid, even if you were in a dark cave. The textures were amazing, and the art direction was phenomenal. I'm watching Game of Thrones right now and everyone in that show looks like a hobo compared to the decadent garb of the characters in this game. Some people might think it's gaudy, but I thought the attention to detail was phenomenal and it really made the game world seem unique. Also, Cat Potion was way more badass than in Witcher 1.

+Memorable dialogue. As in Witcher 1, characters have such a distinct diction that really compliments their personalities. They kind of repeated a lot of slang, (plough, whoresons etc.), but it felt very natural in the world and helps separate itself from "generic fantasy realm #4985." Also there were so many hilarious random lines that would pop up. "PEOPLEEEE! THE MUTANT'S PURSUING MEEEEE." "Yrden! Trap it with Yrden!" "ODRIIIIIIN" "Damn, you're ugly." "Ha!" And I laughed hard at the "nun's petal" line, that came out of nowhere from Geralt.

+Greatly improved combat. There are so many weapons are you disposal, and CDPR did a great job of making every single tool useful. Traps, spells, enhancements, bombs, sword techniques etc. You really had to balance them out to take down foes. I loved rolling around and slicing up enemies in the back for a huge damage boost.

+Interesting side quests. The monster contracts were a huge improvement over "kill X amount of baddies." Many of the other quests had their own captivating little stories, my favorite is possibly the hospital quest. Dice poker, arm wrestling, fights etc. were all improved from the first game. I mostly ignored them in Witcher 1, but always sought them out in this game.

+Diverse and rewarding areas. Not sure if you played Witcher 1, but most people who do consider the swamp region to be one of the most poorly designed areas in a video game. I was worried that they would appear in Witcher 2, but thankfully they did not. The areas are rich in content and rewards. Not to the extent of something like Dragon Quest, but much more so than in Witcher 1. The optional mini-bosses you would randomly stumble across added a lot of the game and really made it seem like danger was around any corner. There was some backtracking, but the areas are fairly easy to navigate and I never got lost (except for in the dwarven mines, I hated that area). The settings were also very memorable. The epic medieval battle in the prologue, the mesmerizing and atmospheric forest haven of Flotsam, the mountains and forests of Chapter 2, and even Loc Muinne looked great even though you were there for like a minute.

+Important choices. Now that I beat the game, I'm looking at different paths people took, many of them of which I didn't even know were possible. I greatly prefer this type of choice-making in games opposed to "be an angel or a devil." I can't wait to see how they effect Witcher 3.

+Witcher 1 fanservice. The game did a pretty good job of rewarding Witcher 1 players, not only through items, but through story points.
Hearing people note that Adda was alive and that I saved her, the message from Thaler, Siegfried showing up, Salamandra reference, Knights of the Flaming Rose in the last chapter, random NPC references to the first game etc. I wish I could have actually seen Adda (or Vincent) but maybe that will be in the next game.

Now for the negatives.

-Stupid gameplay decisions. Weight limit? Drinking potions before a battle? WHY. This is just artificially increasing the difficulty instead of letting it develop naturally. I really hope they take these elements out from Witcher 3.

-Confusing story. It seems like CDPR watched Episode I far too many times. There was so much political mumbo jumbo that I couldn't even keep up. They would randomly mention people and say they're important, yet they never show up anywhere in the game. The journal helps some, but I don't want to have to read an encyclopedia of who's who in the Witcher universe to know what's going on. Not to mention the whole Wild Hunt storyline that didn't really make any sense or have any connection to the main story.

-Weak ending. Chapter 3 more like Epilogue. Admittedly I rushed through this, but I didn't think it would be THAT short. Witcher 1 had a cliff hanger, but at least the central story was wrapped up. Here it feels like the Empire Strikes Back of the series, where everyone is screwed and no one knows what's going to happen next. I suppose
they are setting up for Witcher 3 which will probably take place in Nilfgaard,
but I think Witcher 1 did a better job of closing the game's main story while also teasing what's yet to come.

-Lame villain.
The whole game I was wondering what Letho's goal was. When Iorvith asked him why he hates kings and Letho said "it's a long story," I expected just that, a long story. Instead it turns out he's just some spy for Nilfgaard who wants to weaken the kingdoms so Nilfgaard can invade and the only reason he's doing it is so he can open up a new Witcher school. I found it to be kinda weak and far-fetched. You're doing all this JUST to open up a new school? Why do you care about it so much? What's going to happen after you open up the school?

So in conclusion, while I thought the story was weak at times, the gameplay more than enough made up for it. I can't wait for Witcher 3.

Red

So I'm having trouble resolving a quest on the Ioverth path in chapter 2.

In my journal, With Flickering Heart is listed as failed, with the description saying that Ioverth has left Vergen and that I can't contact him. But that's not true. I can talk to him right now. I've just entered the tomb for the mission Death Incarnated or whatever it's called, where I talk to a Dun Banner ghost and try to get the standard. I've found a body down here that isn't decomposed and I can't interact with it. I'm assuming it's part of the With Flickering Heart questline. What have I done wrong? Is this a known bug, and if so, is there any way I can resolve it? This is the first mission I have that's failed and I was hoping not to run into any dead ends like this. I don't understand how I failed the mission if Iorveth hasn't left Vergen, even though the journal description says he has.

Forkball said:
killed Letho (wolves > vipers amirite)
WRONG.

The Witcher's creed says always help your fellow Witcher if you encounter him on a path, not kill them for your school's glory. This is what made Geralt save Letho in the first place.

subversus

Killing everybody
in the end felt more conclusive and sad. It felt almost like the real ending. I'll go with it... I think.

Solo

RustyNails said:
WRONG.

The Witcher's creed says always help your fellow Witcher if you encounter him on a path, not kill them for your school's glory. This is what made Geralt save Letho in the first place.

The Solo creed says PEOPLE, THE MUTANT'S PERSUING ME!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
. They would randomly mention people and say they're important

Saskia, Philippa Eilhart and Prince Stennis ?

Weak ending.

While I agree I wanted a similar ending to TW1, you should've
picked Roche in the end because it greatly improved the ending to me and tied a few loose ends. Check it out man.

Ah crap. I'm visting my folks this weekend. I'm paused right before the part of Act 1 where there's
the extended sex scene with Triss. Dad's in the next room over and mom's in the kitchen on the phone and I don't have my headphones with me. Guess I will have to stop playing until I get home later tonight. I can just imaginge them asking me if I was watching porn or something.

eznark

Banned
Fiiiinally got around to finishing it. Amazing game. Easily the best game I've played all year. Cannot wait to start my second playthrough.

Gvaz

Banned
Forkball said:
-Confusing story. It seems like CDPR watched Episode I far too many times. There was so much political mumbo jumbo that I couldn't even keep up. They would randomly mention people and say they're important, yet they never show up anywhere in the game. The journal helps some, but I don't want to have to read an encyclopedia of who's who in the Witcher universe to know what's going on. Not to mention the whole Wild Hunt storyline that didn't really make any sense or have any connection to the main story.

-Weak ending. Chapter 3 more like Epilogue. Admittedly I rushed through this, but I didn't think it would be THAT short. Witcher 1 had a cliff hanger, but at least the central story was wrapped up. Here it feels like the Empire Strikes Back of the series, where everyone is screwed and no one knows what's going to happen next. I suppose
they are setting up for Witcher 3 which will probably take place in Nilfgaard,
but I think Witcher 1 did a better job of closing the game's main story while also teasing what's yet to come.

-Lame villain.
The whole game I was wondering what Letho's goal was. When Iorvith asked him why he hates kings and Letho said "it's a long story," I expected just that, a long story. Instead it turns out he's just some spy for Nilfgaard who wants to weaken the kingdoms so Nilfgaard can invade and the only reason he's doing it is so he can open up a new Witcher school. I found it to be kinda weak and far-fetched. You're doing all this JUST to open up a new school? Why do you care about it so much? What's going to happen after you open up the school?

So in conclusion, while I thought the story was weak at times, the gameplay more than enough made up for it. I can't wait for Witcher 3.

I never got lost, however I read all the info because I love the setting.

Also Roche path is more about getting your memories back, whereas Iorveth is all about getting revenge. Just another reason why Roche owns.

Also you make the comparison to SW #5 yet it's the best Star Wars movie? Regardless, yeah there feels like there's less to the game overall, though I personally think that's because of them already having an establishd background and from their very obvious console design. But that's just me.

Tenck

subversus said:
stealth sections suck in this game. Also you can see through walls if you use a cat potion.

Even when I see through the walls, the damn guards hear the slightest noise and they turn around.

Tenck said:
Even when I see through the walls, the damn guards hear the slightest noise and they turn around.

There are certain objects that if you bump into will alert the guards of your presence, usually buckets and whatnot.

Use the medallion to spot them.

So what is GAF's consensus on which path to take first? No spoilers please. I'm going to play both. It's awesome that it seems like there are two different storylines and settings depending on how you choose. I keep hearing Roache path is better story-wise, but my left leaning gut is screaming Iorveth and my main squeeze Triss. I'm curious, I played Witcher 1 neutral, but for those who chose Roache's path were you team Shani or team Triss? Again, no spoilers, but which path story-wise is the best? I'm literally paused at the point you have to make the choice.

Tenck

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got done seeing the tentacle of the monster, and It feels like it'll take me a while to find the monster. So far, I'm enjoying the game much more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GillianSeed79 said:
So what is GAF's consensus on which path to take first?

Everyone agrees (or so they should) that Iorveth is the cooler of the two, so I'd recommend going with him first.

Vaporak

GillianSeed79 said:
So what is GAF's consensus on which path to take first? No spoilers please. I'm going to play both. It's awesome that it seems like there are two different storylines and settings depending on how you choose. I keep hearing Roache path is better story-wise, but my left leaning gut is screaming Iorveth and my main squeeze Triss. I'm curious, I played Witcher 1 neutral, but for those who chose Roache's path were you team Shani or team Triss? Again, no spoilers, but which path story-wise is the best? I'm literally paused at the point you have to make the choice.

It's not a system to be optimized, make your choice based on what's happened up until that point. In a game with actual choice and consequences you shouldn't be letting someone else choose for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom