• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

This game is crazy. I'm going through a second play through and figured I would just be mashing skip to get to the main story points but the first part of the game (dungeon espcae) has been completely different from my first play through because of the choice to save that one dude. I wasn't expecting that.

AllenShrz

I just finished for the first time and now on my second playthrough Im playing on Hard and its easy.

I remember that the fisrt time playing the prologe I died so many times on normal. Now I dont.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Coldsnap said:
This game is crazy. I'm going through a second play through and figured I would just be mashing skip to get to the main story points but the first part of the game (dungeon espcae) has been completely different from my first play through because of the choice to save that one dude. I wasn't expecting that.

oh, you don't want that. The second chapter is vastly different.

Salaadin

AllenShrz said:
I just finished for the first time and now on my second playthrough Im playing on Hard and its easy.

I remember that the fisrt time playing the prologe I died so many times on normal. Now I dont.

The adjustments to the prologue in 1.2 made it much easier. That combined with the fact that youre used to how the game works, youre probably wrecking shit.

So I will be cross posting this in the other thread, but I need some help. I backed up my saves for the game before wiping my HD clean and doing a fresh install of Windows 7. Everything went fine with the install, but now I cannot get my saves to load so I can continue playing. I placed all the files back where they are supposed to be, but still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

THX

Yaska

Finished my 1st playthrough and I just gotta say that this game was one of the best rpgs I've played for a while. Now I think I shall start another playthrough and choose the another path for chapter 2.

Is it only me or did someone else want to lynch Stennis after you saved him in Chapter 2

nib95

Banned
This game....it's really taken me by surprise. The sheer quality, depth and variety in it is just sublime. Richer than any RPG experience I've played in a good many years, including Oblivion and Mass Effect. In-fact, now I've played Witcher 2, I honestly feel the bar has been raised a good distance. I'll want a lot more from future RPG's in terms of quest variety, customisability and depth.

I also think the visuals are just painfully gorgeous. As in, I can't believe it looks this good sort of beautiful. Ram packed full of intense detail, immense texture work, grandiose scale and some of the best art direction I've seen yet in a game. Usually I dislike LOD pop in/blur, but here it's done so expertly imo it totally adds heaps to the overall look of the game. Essentially mimicking the effects of depth of field. That and the colourful vibrancy, contrast and diversity in palette, it's just all so fantastic.

I'm almost certain Crysis 2 is technically more advanced than Witcher 2, but honestly, I think I may have said wow more times so far from the visuals in W2. Best looking RPG by a landslide, and one of the best looking games yet, period.

mt1200

How are you supposed to learn abilites?, I'm already on level 3 and cant select none of the abilites in the traning section, you are supposed to finish the training abilites before you can pick the others, but I cant even pick the training abilities, nothing happens when I click on them.

I'm playing on hard, does it matter?

Kyaw

mt1200 said:
How are you supposed to learn abilites?, I'm already on level 3 and cant select none of the abilites in the traning section, you are supposed to finish the training abilites before you can pick the others, but I cant even pick the training abilities, nothing happens when I click on them.

You have to be in meditation mode to select the skills.

In normal or easy, you can select your skill points after you press 'C'.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
mt1200 said:

You need to click the talents that are to the top first then you can choose the other talents that are linked to the one you choose.

Jinaar

Powered thru and got to Chapter 3 finally late last night. Hola this game is a shining gem. I keep pressing F12, finger is getting swore due to that. Many beautiful screenshots. This game requires multiple play thrus and I am looking forwards to the 2nd one.

Sorry if this question has been answer. But I have a decent computer and duel drive etc etc. So I decided to get witcher 2 and I Install it. When I installed it, I got an error saying Data2 Cab. So I looked it up online and found that you needed an external drive. So I got one ( a fairly new one) and installed it, then got the same error. I tried copying CD folders it to folders on my desktop but still got the same error. The Disk Is new, bought it from EBgames and I really want to play this game. Any suggestions?

subversus

spiderman123 said:
Sorry if this question has been answer. But I have a decent computer and duel drive etc etc. So I decided to get witcher 2 and I Install it. When I installed it, I got an error saying Data2 Cab. So I looked it up online and found that you needed an external drive. So I got one ( a fairly new one) and installed it, then got the same error. I tried copying CD folders it to folders on my desktop but still got the same error. The Disk Is new, bought it from EBgames and I really want to play this game. Any suggestions?

have you patched it? I suppose it got patched automatically?

gdt

Retail disk had huge problems for me, and others. I eventually got a free GOG version of the game, just had to prove ownership.

I think it has to do with the pressing of the disc, not anything that can be (or was) patched out. Contact support.

subversus

spiderman123 said:
how do you do that?

It just goes straight to the setup.exe

so, what you did:

1)went to setup.exe
2)installed the game
3)tried to run it
4)got the data2.cab error

?

if so then the game should have tried to download the path. If it didn't then go to the official site and download it.

if it doesn't work, then uninstall the game, install it again, DO NOT RUN IT, patch it with patch 1.2 and only after that you can run it.

Yaska

His problem is installing the game from retail disc. The installer can't read data2.cab so he isn't even at the patching part yet.

subversus said:
so, what you did:

1)went to setup.exe
2)installed the game
3)tried to run it
4)got the data2.cab error

?

if so then the game should have tried to download the path. If it didn't then go to the official site and download it.

if it doesn't work, then uninstall the game, install it again, DO NOT RUN IT, patch it with patch 1.2 and only after that you can run it.

before I got the external. I ran it off the drive on my computer. You know how it automatically ask you if you want to run a setup. So I clicked yes then next and next and it went straight to setup then about I would say 1/8 of the setup it would say data2.cab error. It never asked me to download any patch ( connected to the internet too). So if this fails (b/c it is running now, past the point where it previously stopped) I will download the patch.

subversus

spiderman123 said:
before I got the external. I ran it off the drive on my computer. You know how it automatically ask you if you want to run a setup. So I clicked yes then next and next and it went straight to setup then about I would say 1/8 of the setup it would say data2.cab error. It never asked me to download any patch ( connected to the internet too). So if this fails (b/c it is running now, past the point where it previously stopped) I will download the patch.

ahhh... I see. So do you have an external now? copy the game there and try to install it. Also there's a solution for this on TW2 site in support section.

subversus said:
ahhh... I see. So do you have an external now? copy the game there and try to install it. Also there's a solution for this on TW2 site in support section.

Yah I have the ED now. It's running now on the 3rd try. I don't know why because I didn't download any patch. I just tried it over and over again ( like what some ppl online suggested). It began to work. So if it fails close towards the end I will download that patch. I don't want to do anything to jinx it now just to be safe.

subversus

spiderman123 said:
Yah I have the ED now. It's running now on the 3rd try. I don't know why because I didn't download any patch. I just tried it over and over again ( like what some ppl online suggested). It began to work. So if it fails close towards the end I will download that patch. I don't want to do anything to jinx it now just to be safe.

the patch improves perfomance drastically, removes a lot of glitches, makes the game DRM-free. You won't have any problems because it was about a bad DVD.

but well, it's up to you, I know this feeling: "don't want to do anything to jinx it "

subversus said:
the patch improves perfomance drastically, removes a lot of glitches, makes the game DRM-free. You won't have any problems because it was about a bad DVD.

but well, it's up to you, I know this feeling: "don't want to do anything to jinx it "

I just installed the 2nd disk and about 95 % it failed. Got the same error as the 1st. What is the name of the patch btw? I see a couple here on the Witcher website?!

subversus

spiderman123 said:
I just installed the 2nd disk and about 95 % it failed. Got the same error as the 1st. What is the name of the patch btw? I see a couple here on the Witcher website?!

fuuuck.

download this one - http://en.thewitcher.com/patch1-2/

also: http://en.thewitcher.com/support/

"Winzip cannot open D:\data3.cab" errorup
An error occur during game installation: "Winzip cannot open D:\data3.cab because it is not in the standard microsoft cab format (as defined in mid-1998) The "signature bytes" required by the microsoft cab specifications are missing"
This error might occur when cab file type is associated with WinZip. Try unchecking cab file association in WinZip options or uninstall WinZIP for the time of The Witcher 2 installation.

CRC data error messages or other problems occuring during the installation of "The Witcher 2" can have various causes - usually they are caused by the optical drive malfunction (problems with reading DVD9 format discs) or by another application interfering with the game installation. Listed below you’ll find instructions on what to do to install the game correctly:

1) Make sure that the CDs are not dirty or scratched - any damage can impair the correct reading of the CD

2) Try installing the game from the hard drive. To do that create two new folders in a chosen location and copy into them (using Copy-Paste) all the contents of the two The Witcher 2 CDs. If during the copying process no errors occur, open the file Setup.exe which can be found in the folder with the contents of the DVD1 disc.
When you are asked to insert the second CD, press the Browse key and afterwards select the folder into which the DVD2 was copied.

3) Start the installation after performing a “clean boot” on your computer.

4) Check your optical drive's manufacturer's website for firmware (BIOS) updates. If an update is available download it and install it. If you have any questions concerning the update of the optical drive's software please contact its manufacturer's technical support.

5) Change the data transfer mode of your optical drive's. If performing all the above actions does not enable the installation of the game check if the problem also occurs on other computers. This will help to determine whether the problem lies in any particular workstation.

nib95

Banned
Random screens. Had to post em. Downsized to 1680.

w13.jpg

w12.jpg

w11.jpg

w10.jpg

w9.jpg

w8.jpg

w7.jpg

w5.jpg

w4-1.jpg

w2.jpg

w1.jpg

Game is just stunning!

mt1200

Forced triple buffering, disabled Vsync, and still get some little stuttering in non combat parts, am I the only one with this issue?

Host your images on Dropbox people, it ain't rocket surgery.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop back into this thread to plug Alice for Witcher 2 fans. I'm amazed at how great the combat system is and how much it reminds of TW2. It's a lot more limited because most of the enemies have specific strats which correspond to a particular weapon technique, but the enemy variety means that you're forced to be resourceful and stay mobile without overextending your attacks, which was what I liked about fighting groups in TW2.

If you don't mind the muddy textures it's rather pretty in spots too.

Deadstar

Coldsnap said:

Excuse me but save which guy? I've gotten past that part and am not sure who you are referring to?

gokieks

Deadstar said:
Excuse me but save which guy? I've gotten past that part and am not sure who you are referring to?

Killing or sparing Aryan La Valette, presumably. The escape from the dungeon changes quite a bit depending on which choice was made.

Ok to give you an update on my problem. I did the copy files on to HD solution and it worked. I used a buddy's ED this time and it copied all the files onto my HD and then installed it with no Data2.cab error. Going to run in now and see how it works.

edit: Game is running beautifully. One question I want the best performance. Would donwloading the patches recommended in the Witcher 2 Game Performance thread work?!

Gvaz

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Host your images on Dropbox people, it ain't rocket surgery.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop back into this thread to plug Alice for Witcher 2 fans. I'm amazed at how great the combat system is and how much it reminds of TW2. It's a lot more limited because most of the enemies have specific strats which correspond to a particular weapon technique, but the enemy variety means that you're forced to be resourceful and stay mobile without overextending your attacks, which was what I liked about fighting groups in TW2.

If you don't mind the muddy textures it's rather pretty in spots too.
Or Abload.de.

nara

Banned
I am in need of a gaming fix- how does this compare to oblivion/diablo2? I look really forward to skyrim and diablo3...

Had some time to properly play this after just getting it configured fine, driver updates and waiting for game patches.

This game is fantastic. 12 hours in and only on the 1st chapter. Doing all the side-quests, and generally having a fantastic time. As someone who's read the books, the atmosphere is superb. I don't think I've ever seen a better game imagining of another media, the characters are pitch perfect and the atmosphere is grand. Several parts, such as the "plough 'em all" song and
Geralts drunken night with the blue strips, and the tattoo he ends up with
have made me laugh out loud.

Only thing I don't like is the branching trees, I hate this kinda choice in games, because I'm always afraid I'm going to screw it up, and just stare at the screen for ages deciding what to do.

I've found some dudes "perfect build" on a FAQ site, and I'm just following that word for word.

On Medium I was getting my ass kicked for the first several hours, but now, I'm finally starting to feel like a badass after killing the
kayran, building the armour from its corpse and upgrading my swords

jim-jam bongs said:
Anyway, I just wanted to pop back into this thread to plug Alice for Witcher 2 fans.

Looking forward to picking it up at some point when it hits about $30ish. Sort of holding onto my cards (credit cards) for the Steam sale at the moment.

azuki said:
I am in need of a gaming fix- how does this compare to oblivion/diablo2? I look really forward to skyrim and diablo3...

It's good is the only comparison I can think of, they share very little likeness. It's a pretty action RPG with a branching storyline (a good one). So good I played it 3 times in a row if it means anything to you.

gdt

Nihilistic Monk said:
Only thing I don't like is the branching trees, I hate this kinda choice in games, because I'm always afraid I'm going to screw it up, and just stare at the screen for ages deciding what to do.

I've found some dudes "perfect build" on a FAQ site, and I'm just following that word for word.

For shame.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gdt5016 said:
For shame.

Indeed. See, games like The Witcher and a few others do choice properly, meaning that there typically isn't a "wrong" way to do anything. You just do whatever the shit you want to do.

I'd hate for that guy to play Alpha Protocol, he'd probably have a seizure.

gdt

Those moments where you're staring at the screen thinking "fuuuuuck, what do I do?!?" are the best ones. The camera is on Geralt picking his nose for like 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom