• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
RustyNails said:
Also I was able to achieve ultimate weapons and armor for Geralt. It's unfortunate that I was not able to use them a lot. It's also unfortunate that I was not able to fully level up my talents. I have a feeling that an entire chapter has been scrapped from the game for some reason. The game is definitely shorter than Witcher 1.

This. I only just finished the game and agree, the last chapter whilst still awesome, lacked the depth and longevity of the others. Also got hardly any time to test my brand new and ridiculously cool looking equipment. I seriously wish the game was just longer, that's not to say the game is short, but with so much brilliant content and such an exhaustive items/weapons list, it honestly begs for a lengthier or more meaty end.

Despite that, what an amazing experience. The story, characters and world had me captivated from start till end. Boredom did seep through by the end of Chapter two for the briefest of moments when I'd had enough of running around in those huge open fields, but other than that, it kept me thoroughly gripped. Even when reading tonnes of dialogue, I barely ever skipped.

What I love about the game is not only the variety in missions, characters and gameplay itself, but also the fact that choices have such a profound affect on the story/events, and that the character, skillset and equipment development is just so vast and expansive. So many options to fine tune things. It really is a mini encyclopedia of items, weapons, upgrades, abilities, talents and so forth.

Feels rich and deep like the RPG's of old (modern RPG's generally feel a bit stripped down and funnelled, almost spoon feeding the player). Witcher 2 on the other hand, whilst perhaps too harsh and heavy handed at times, really rewards a more intelligent and patient player. If you dive deep in to this game, it has so many layers to unravel that you'll be thoroughly pleased you invested the time. Only area it lacks as much variety in is in level variety. You don't explore that many different worlds, cities or realms, thankfully the one's you do are content rich and broken up in to segments very well.

Overall, phenomenal game. One of the best RPG's I've played in a long while. Skyrim honestly has a LOT to live up to. I fear that because of it's first person preferred nature, the combat won't be nearly as intuitive. Third person combat with all the evasion and wider scope of view really helps.

Anyway, here's to the painful wait for Witcher 3!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GillianSeed79 said:
So what is GAF's consensus on which path to take first? No spoilers please. I'm going to play both. It's awesome that it seems like there are two different storylines and settings depending on how you choose. I keep hearing Roache path is better story-wise, but my left leaning gut is screaming Iorveth and my main squeeze Triss. I'm curious, I played Witcher 1 neutral, but for those who chose Roache's path were you team Shani or team Triss? Again, no spoilers, but which path story-wise is the best? I'm literally paused at the point you have to make the choice.

If you like Dwarves and want to laugh your ass off go with Iorveth. If you want a gritty world with dark quests go with Roche. Iorveth path feels more..umm fantasy like?

either way you'll miss half the story. :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
nib95 said:
Skyrim honestly has a LOT to live up to. I fear that because of it's first person preferred nature, the combat won't be nearly as intuitive. Third person combat with all the evasion and wider scope of view really helps.

Skyrim is more like a fantasy sim. A totally different type of experience.

Vaporak said:
It's not a system to be optimized, make your choice based on what's happened up until that point. In a game with actual choice and consequences you shouldn't be letting someone else choose for you.

Fuck it, I'm going with my gut. I'm going with Ivoreth on my first playthrough. I way, way over analyzed witcher 1 when going for neutral to the point where I made choices contrary to what I wanted to do. Elf ears and the search for Triss's titties here I come.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GillianSeed79 said:
Fuck it, I'm going with my gut. I'm going with Ivoreth on my first playthrough. I way, way over analyzed witcher 1 when going for neutral to the point where I made choices contrary to what I wanted to do. Elf ears and the search for Triss's titties here I come.

Good man, and bros before hos. Ok ?

Yeah don't over think your decision since you're planning to play twice anyway.

Unless that ho is Saskia.

haha /signed

Vaporak

GillianSeed79 said:

Good, you'll enjoy it more this way. :D

Red

At the end of chapter 2, how in the hell are you meant to
kill the flag bearer as the ghost soldier? I can't dodge attacks and I keep getting pushed into the flames by all the little guys that keep coming at me. Why do I have to attack so damn slow?

Real frustrated. Packing it in for the night and coming back to it later.

Derrick01

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
So what is GAF's consensus on which path to take first? No spoilers please. I'm going to play both. It's awesome that it seems like there are two different storylines and settings depending on how you choose. I keep hearing Roache path is better story-wise, but my left leaning gut is screaming Iorveth and my main squeeze Triss. I'm curious, I played Witcher 1 neutral, but for those who chose Roache's path were you team Shani or team Triss? Again, no spoilers, but which path story-wise is the best? I'm literally paused at the point you have to make the choice.

Iorveth's path was infinitely more fun in chapter 2, but not really in 3. In that case thankfully chapter 3 is not very long and 2 should last you at least 10 hours so I say that's an acceptable trade.

krzy123

Crunched said:
At the end of chapter 2, how in the hell are you meant to
kill the flag bearer as the ghost soldier? I can't dodge attacks and I keep getting pushed into the flames by all the little guys that keep coming at me. Why do I have to attack so damn slow?

Real frustrated. Packing it in for the night and coming back to it later.
Blocking and then counter w/ strong attacks.

Yurt said:
Is priced the same as the regular box edition anyway. :p

I hope more people buy it though.

Sold out now it looks like Damn, was thinking of getting it even though I had a DLed copy just cuz it was so badass.

Anyhow. Finished the game, on the bro path. Pretty cool, going down the douche and dwarf path now. Game is sweet though I especially hate how god-awful the map is. In Witcher: EE the map was very useful, you could set waypoints and mouse over areas a=to see what they were. The map in W2 is just damned useless sometimes.

Now on my 2nd playthrough, modded so that sale prices of items aren't ridiculously low and so that all crafting items are weightless.,

Kambing

Thanks to the Steam sale i was fortunate enough to buy this game. It is sooooo GOOD. The graphics, combat and story so far are incredibly superb. I literally spent 4 hours playing this, the only other game that has made me do that is Uncharted 2, i am just hooked. This is how i envisioned next generation RPG's would be like.

This may sound noobish but despite my crazy praise for the game, my minor complaint would be that the game feels hard at normal difficulty. I can't imagine how much harder "hard" is compared to normal. The major complaint i have with the game are the checkpoints, which really suck. I have had to backtrack quite a few times because i died during the beginning of a new mission. Other than that, this is so far the best RPG i have ever played.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Don't forget, you can always make your own saves as long as you're out of combat. The difficulty can be a bit uneven, but it's reasonable for the most part once you get in tune with it.

subversus

Kambing said:
This may sound noobish but despite my crazy praise for the game, my minor complaint would be that the game feels hard at normal difficulty. I can't imagine how much harder "hard" is compared to normal. The major complaint i have with the game are the checkpoints, which really suck. I have had to backtrack quite a few times because i died during the beginning of a new mission. Other than that, this is so far the best RPG i have ever played.

you shouldn't rely on checkoints, there's quicksave button and you should save a lot manually to be able to come back if you're fucked.

Also difficulty will become less of a problem later in the game.

edit: beaten

Kambing

Snuggler said:
Don't forget, you can always make your own saves as long as you're out of combat. The difficulty can be a bit uneven, but it's reasonable for the most part once you get in tune with it.

subversus said:
you shouldn't rely on checkoints, there's quicksave button and you should save a lot manually to be able to come back if you're fucked.

Also difficulty will become less of a problem later in the game.

edit: beaten

Shiiiiiit, i did not know you could save manually. I don't know why i didn't check for it in the first place, *FACEPALM*. In regards to the difficulty, i actually like that there is a challenge during combat between normal minions, but i just had my ass handed to me quite a few times by Kayran, lol. Kind of reminds of Demon's Souls a bit.

Well thanks to both of you for the info regarding the save button, i am sure that will help a lot with the back tracking.

toasty_T said:
I take it you don't play too many PC RPGs.

I quicksaved every 5 seconds.

LOL, yeah this is actually my second PC RPG (just built a PC), the first was Witcher 1. It's weird though, i don't remember dying as much, hahaha.

Slo

Chapter 1 Malena Quest -
Hey guys, I'm nearling the end of Chapter 1 I think. I just fought Letho, and now I'm back at the Inn/Brothel speaking with the madam about what happened to Triss. After the conversation, I got a notification that I failed the Malena quest. I want to reload and finish this quest before doing the discussion again. Where do I need to find her? I sided with Iorveth, not Roche if it matters.

froliq

Slo said:
Chapter 1 Malena Quest -
Hey guys, I'm nearling the end of Chapter 1 I think. I just fought Letho, and now I'm back at the Inn/Brothel speaking with the madam about what happened to Triss. After the conversation, I got a notification that I failed the Malena quest. I want to reload and finish this quest before doing the discussion again. Where do I need to find her? I sided with Iorveth, not Roche if it matters.
The quest starts in Lobinden just outside of Flotsam.

Slo

froliq said:
The quest starts in Lobinden just outside of Flotsam.

Can you be more specific?
I'm wandering around Lobinden and I'm not seeing anything. I think Cedric is already gone because of the events with Triss. Was he the key?

subversus

MrCompletely said:
Any input on how Witcher 2 would run on the following machine:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
Nvidia 8800 GTX
8Gb RAM
Windows 7 64

terribad

you know what's weak in your config.

subversus said:
terribad

you know what's weak in your config.

I've been out of the hardware game for a while. I'm guessing its my video card, but I feel like just upgrading that to something mid-high range wouldn't be enough.

Zzoram

How do I change graphics settings? Are the presets of Low Medium and High the only options? I'm running on Medium and it runs well. I doubt I could run High but I'm sure my PC could handle a few things turned up more.

Kambing

Zzoram said:
How do I change graphics settings? Are the presets of Low Medium and High the only options? I'm running on Medium and it runs well. I doubt I could run High but I'm sure my PC could handle a few things turned up more.

In the OP there is actually a link to a thread dedicated to Witcher 2 performance tweaking. Here is the link http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430456.

Hope the thread will help. Find the heading user.ini tweaking in the thread for graphical settings.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zzoram said:

Use the thread linked above if you want the absolute best performance you can get with your hardware, but there should be an advanced settings area in the options menu you open with TW2's launcher. I think you click somewhere near the bottom of the menu, but you'll be able to do all the standard stuff like turning on/off AA, motion blur, DOF and so on.

ah dammit, beaten

subversus

MrCompletely said:
I've been out of the hardware game for a while. I'm guessing its my video card, but I feel like just upgrading that to something mid-high range wouldn't be enough.

Actually, no. GTX460 will be good enough for high-ultra.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
subversus said:
Actually, no. GTX460 will be good enough for high-ultra.

I have the GTX460, it runs anywhere from 30-60FPS on high settings with AA on, depending on how busy the environment is (I'd say it averages about 45fps). The recent patches have made it run much more stable, which is nice, no major FPS drops...it's nice and steady.

phoenixlawl2mo5.gif

I have the game in my hands! Finally!

I am so fucking ready. Let's do this :D

Zzoram

During the opening interrogation tutorial thingy, is it possible to:

Not kill Aryan and convince him to surrender the castle? I ended up dueling him and killing him. Just wondering if this changes the story in some way.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zzoram said:
Not kill Aryan and convince him to surrender the castle? I ended up dueling him and killing him. Just wondering if this changes the story in some way.

You can. You'll come across him later in the prologue, and you can get a boost to your inventory size. It doesn't do much in the long run, though.

The fucking Kayran... almost killing the game for me. Can't get past it. Finally got it pinned under the bridge, and what happens? It throws boulders at me so regularly I can't move until the next one hits.

I think I'm just about done, I can only beat my head on the table so many times. Too bad no trainers work for steam 1.2 version of the game (shockingly) in order to get past the spikes or just experience the story.

Zzoram said:
During the opening interrogation tutorial thingy, is it possible to:

yes

subversus

Snuggler said:
You can. You'll come across him later in the prologue, and you can get a boost to your inventory size. It doesn't do much in the long run, though.

Also you'll get a different prison escape.

Zzoram

Snuggler said:

Shit, how big an inventory boost is it? Are there any other ways to boost inventory?

subversus

AndersTheSwede said:
The fucking Kayran... almost killing the game for me. Can't get past it. Finally got it pinned under the bridge, and what happens? It throws boulders at me so regularly I can't move until the next one hits.

I think I'm just about done, I can only beat my head on the table so many times. Too bad no trainers work for steam 1.2 version of the game (shockingly) in order to get past the spikes or just experience the story.

Kayran is EASY. Watch youtube ffs.

First, cut his tentacles. Second, move to the bridge with quen on before he started throwing shit. Third, run up to the end of the bridge and drop the bomb. Over.

Slo

AndersTheSwede said:

As soon as you get it pinned under the rubble, sprint to the far left of the arena and climb up the ledge of the broken bridge. You should have a few seconds to run after the QTE so hustle your ass over the the left as soon as you're tossed off the tentacle. Run as fast as you can up the ramp and a cutscene will kick in. The battle is over. Your are SOOOO close.

Zzoram

subversus said:
which one is the better one??? if you're talking about tits, then no.

I have no idea what that means. I'm not done the prison escape and have no idea what the differences are. I was just wondering what people thought was the better version.

subversus

Zzoram said:
I have no idea what that means. I'm not done the prison escape and have no idea what the differences are. I was just wondering what people thought was the better version.

there are no better versions. There are at least three ways of getting out of prison with different dialogues, cutscenes and all that stuff. I might not know about variables though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom