• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Live Free or Die said:
I wanna buy this so bad but I haven't even beat the first one yet. :(

I never got past Act 3 of the first game but I decided to just play The Witcher 2 anyways. I figure I got what I needed out of the first game.

KePoW

Banned
Zzoram said:
I have no idea what that means. I'm not done the prison escape and have no idea what the differences are. I was just wondering what people thought was the better version.

What he means is that one choice gives you the chance to see a scene in the dungeon with some nice nudity.

Forkball

Quick question, does anyone know the artist who illustrated the splash panels when Geralt has an inner monologue? I would love to see more of his work (or hell, a Witcher comic book with this style.)

I'm getting the same feeling I had when playing Baldur's Gate II for the first time all those years ago. The little details and the atmosphere are incredible; I'm loving it so far, though I'm playing it on hard and yeah the combat can be bloody unforgiving, especially as I don't think I ever used any signs other than Aard and Igni in either of my Witcher 1 playthroughs. It'll definitely take some adjusting to them being the least useful signs (at least so far).

Graphics-wise, everything's on ultra apart from Ubersampling and it looks gorgeous...

2n7mqac.jpg

...walking out onto that collapsed bridge with the bells ringing and music striking up absolutely took my breath away.

Right, thanks for indulging my weeks-overdue drooling. Back to it!

coopolon

AndersTheSwede said:
The fucking Kayran... almost killing the game for me. Can't get past it. Finally got it pinned under the bridge, and what happens? It throws boulders at me so regularly I can't move until the next one hits.

I think I'm just about done, I can only beat my head on the table so many times. Too bad no trainers work for steam 1.2 version of the game (shockingly) in order to get past the spikes or just experience the story.

This got me the first few times, it's a shockingly poorly designed segment, but once you know how to do it it's silly easy. My problem was after cutting off the tenticles I ended up on the other end and it is no way obvious you're supposed to go the other side and up the bridge, so I'm just trying to hit him more while he tosses boulders at me, it was pretty frustrating. Next time I ended on the side with the bridge and then it was obvious.

I'm surprised to see how many people enjoyed the combat. I beat it going swords, maybe it's better if you go magic, but it was once again a pretty lousy combat system, just lousy in a different way from the first. They tried to ape an action system like Batman AA, but lacked all of its finesse, and it just ends up boring. They way to win fights is to either spam dodge or hold block, that's not fun.

This was probably answered multiple times already, but are there any good videos or descriptions that kind of summarize the first Witcher? I want to know what happened before getting into the second game. With the amount of free time I have and my backlog, I think I'm just skipping the first.

Red

coopolon said:
This got me the first few times, it's a shockingly poorly designed segment, but once you know how to do it it's silly easy. My problem was after cutting off the tenticles I ended up on the other end and it is no way obvious you're supposed to go the other side and up the bridge, so I'm just trying to hit him more while he tosses boulders at me, it was pretty frustrating. Next time I ended on the side with the bridge and then it was obvious.

I'm surprised to see how many people enjoyed the combat. I beat it going swords, maybe it's better if you go magic, but it was once again a pretty lousy combat system, just lousy in a different way from the first. They tried to ape an action system like Batman AA, but lacked all of its finesse, and it just ends up boring. They way to win fights is to either spam dodge or hold block, that's not fun.
Disagree with you completely. Combat was vastly improved from the first game's "click. click. click." My only problem was early unresponsiveness in combat, mostly fixed by the patches. Sometimes Geralt still has trouble dodging or blocking immediately after the command is made, but it's less of a problem than it was at launch. There are a few combat abilities I think should have been enabled by default (hitting multiple enemies at once, throwing knives, block in all directions), but those aren't a bother after the first few hours.

That said, I did play mage. Quen alleviates a lot of the combat's flaws. At its highest level it is basically god mode. Unresponsive button presses are not that big a deal when you can't be injured.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This game has been my go to game over the past 2 weekends, I just hit chapter 3 last night and called it quits for now.

So far the game has been a joy to play but without some major frustrations. The combat at the beginning was woeful, just fucking awful. The fact that they kept on surrounding you with guys, when the system seems broken for it, just made it all the more frustrating. It's gotten easier as time has gone on but i think that's only due to the fact that they actually started giving you 2 or so enemies at a time. There's very little "getting fucked by a group" going on, which doesn't make much sense at all from a progression standpoint.

The need to roll around like an idiot and block, counter things does kill the feel of the combat. There are times where you are able to swing the mouse around and target enemies, bouncing off them batman AA style but it's usually only on monsters and never humans. With humans it's always a block counter or roll around.

The lag between presses is also frustrating, BLOCK you white haired bastard, yet he refuses. I've had times when everything has just stopped working, the buttons just don't respond, Reload save!

The "boss" encounters are fucking terrible and poorly designed. The first two are just head against the wall designs. I'm shocked at how they totally fucked up the combat in this game because everything else is just so good.

Aside from the combat the game has been a joy to play. Just cruising around, doing side quests, talking shit to people, arm wrestling, owning in the fist fights, taking on monsters 1 by 1 is a joy. I haven't had this much fun in a long long time but the group combat and boss combat is the big let down and can make you hate the game in an instant.

I get the feeling i might finish it up next weekend or i will just cruise along through chapter 3 and get that done leaving the epil for the weekend after.

So far it's my GOTY without question, even though it's got some crazy flaws.

evlcookie said:
This game has been my go to game over the past 2 weekends, I just hit chapter 3 last night and called it quits for now.

So far the game has been a joy to play but without some major frustrations. The combat at the beginning was woeful, just fucking awful. The fact that they kept on surrounding you with guys, when the system seems broken for it, just made it all the more frustrating. It's gotten easier as time has gone on but i think that's only due to the fact that they actually started giving you 2 or so enemies at a time. There's very little "getting fucked by a group" going on, which doesn't make much sense at all from a progression standpoint.

The need to roll around like an idiot and block, counter things does kill the feel of the combat. There are times where you are able to swing the mouse around and target enemies, bouncing off them batman AA style but it's usually only on monsters and never humans. With humans it's always a block counter or roll around.

The lag between presses is also frustrating, BLOCK you white haired bastard, yet he refuses. I've had times when everything has just stopped working, the buttons just don't respond, Reload save!

The "boss" encounters are fucking terrible and poorly designed. The first two are just head against the wall designs. I'm shocked at how they totally fucked up the combat in this game because everything else is just so good.

Aside from the combat the game has been a joy to play. Just cruising around, doing side quests, talking shit to people, arm wrestling, owning in the fist fights, taking on monsters 1 by 1 is a joy. I haven't had this much fun in a long long time but the group combat and boss combat is the big let down and can make you hate the game in an instant.

I get the feeling i might finish it up next weekend or i will just cruise along through chapter 3 and get that done leaving the epil for the weekend after.

So far it's my GOTY without question, even though it's got some crazy flaws.

Chapter 3 is no where near as long as the other chapters, 10hours max. I recommend pushing ahead to at least finish one play through.

Kambing

I was wondering what other gaf members think of the DOF effect they have in the game? Do most of you disable it or keep it on? I am really torn between liking it and disliking it.

On one hand, the atmosphere it can create during game play gives it a really nice CG look. But conversely, i can't help but feel that they used "too" much DOF in some areas. Case in point, the town Flotsam seems like it has too much DOF, yet the forest outside seem's perfectly fine with it on.

I think perhaps that because the game is 3rd person, it may be harder to control the DOF camera as opposed to a 1st person game? This comparison was brought up because I never had a problem with the DOF effect in Metro 2033.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Pay attention to your Vigor, you need it to "block".

I was wondering what other gaf members think of the DOF effect they have in the game? Do most of you disable it or keep it on? I am really torn between liking it and disliking it.

I like it ! but then again I also liked bloom lol

Asked this question in the performance thread but it's nearly a ghost town. Would appreciate any advice.

"I've been reading up on SLI performance, and am still confused. Changed the SLI flag and got excellent performance but had the light issue. Without the SLI flag I can't even get 60fps lock (no uber) with GTX580 SLI and 4.5Ghz 2600k.

Is still the best course of action to do the SLI flag and change the frame render in the nVidia control panel?"

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I read your post there but I'm clueless about SLI tbh. Try PMing "TheExodu5", he's SLIing two Nvidia cards IIRC.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I knew i needed vigor to block but since i rarely use signs, I don't think that's causing the odd lag i feel when trying to block.

Hearing that chapter 3 is only about 10 hours, It's safe to say it might take me 20 to get through it all then. I seem to be really taking my time with this game, just going back and forward over things, checking every inch possible.

Zzoram

During the flash back of the siege in the prologue I wasted like 30 minutes going into every house to pick up 5 orens. Will I even get that money back, or did I just waste my time?

Burning Man

Neo Member
I just dodge, roll, run a bit, cast Yrden, run a bit more, pause, run in the opposite direction.

A lot of running, basically. Hardly any real fighting.

Zzoram

Burning Man said:
I just dodge, roll, run a bit, cast Yrden, run a bit more, pause, run in the opposite direction.

A lot of running, basically. Hardly any real fighting.

What's Yrden do? The signs don't come with descriptions.

Burning Man

Neo Member
Zzoram said:

Witcher wiki is your friend, but to answer the q Yrden casts a trap on the ground that harms anyone who walks over it. Cast it where you are, run forward, have enemy follow you and run into aforementioned trap. Wait a bit if you need mana to replenish, rinse, repeat.

Cels

Zzoram said:

The game is really bad at telling you what the signs do, altough IIRC after you cast a sign there is a little tutorial window that tell you what it does.

But I an see how it would be frustrating for a new player seeing all this stuff in the combat menu and not knowing wtf any of it is.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it doesn't let you block when you're not out of previous move. And it doesn't let you make another move until the animation of the previous one is over. Combat is effectively turn-based, you SHOULDN'T mash buttons. But people don't get it. Also they don't get that using heavy blows makes a huge difference. They don't get what signs you need to use when there are more than 3 human enemies. Also bombs. And so on.

They should include a tutorial in the next game. "Young Geralt learns how to hold his sword!" and so on.

Zzoram

Can you remove upgrades you put on your gear?

What's the advantage of using a sword as your main weapon when some of the giant other weapons do way more damage?

knitoe

Zzoram said:

What's the advantage of using a sword as your main weapon when some of the giant other weapons do way more damage?
No, you can't remove upgrades.

Steel swords does the most damage on humans while Silver swords does the most damage on everything else (monsters).

subversus

Zzoram said:

Well, you can't use a lot of moves with other weapons as Geralt is trained for swordfighting + if some other weapons have more damage than your sword, it's time to change (or upgrade) your sword.

and no, you can't remove them.

subversus

Zzoram said:
How do you arm wrestle or play dice? Why isn't it giving me a tutorial for these minigames?

well, you have a tutorial for armwrestling with Zoltan. You should stay inside the slider by moving your mouse or stick, that's pretty easy.

As for dice refer to your manual, rules are explained there.

I remember how RDR tried to teach me to play poker.... not successfully. But poker dice are easier than poker.

Zzoram

Combat is pretty hard on Normal.

What do I do to deal with huge mobs of Nekkers? They just swarm me and stunlock me to death.

subversus

Zzoram said:
Combat is pretty hard on Normal.

What do I do to deal with huge mobs of Nekkers? They just swarm me and stunlock me to death.

use bombs, fast attacks (heavy for finishers), quen, aard and roll out. also some traps are quite useful.

also level up and buy books about monsters. there are always pretty useful tips.

Started playing today. Got to the first chapter and called it a night, having a lot of fun so far. I played up until Chapter 2 of the original Witcher and I'm glad, since there's a lot of names being dropped and I can at least somewhat keep up (eg. Scoia-tael).

I did end up getting all the way up to the part where you
infiltrate the monastery
before I realized you had a bunch of signs other than Aard already available. That made fighting groups easier - I must have died like 5 times near the beginning where you have to
fire the trebuchet at the gate

I'm liking, even so early on, how your decisions change up the game. Both
dueling that elder son and talking sense into Newboy
have had some effects. And man, this game is so gorgeous. It can stutter a bit with my 6850, but it's up to the task for the most part. After finishing, I could just feel how much warmer my room got from all my HW being pushed!

subversus

Zzoram said:
Is it just left click = light attack, right click = heavy attack?

yes. DON'T spam heavy attacks, if you click fast they won't come faster. Use heavy attacks after fast attacks building up combo. The best use of heavy attacks is when an enemy is stunned (or just pushed away by fast attacks).

Zzoram

Switching the lock on between enemies is kinda hard to manage. Is it really just moving your mouse around to adjust the view until the lock on symbo moves to another enemy?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Although I have the game since the release date I didn't really have time to play it until recently.

Completed chapter 1 yesterday, including all sidequests and sigh, are those glitches annoying. Enemies that just stand there, health bars not displaying, NPC that should walk but stay still. And here I thought that those 2 patches will resolve bugs like that.

Still, exploration aside (the "corridors" in the forest were a bit too narrow in my opinion) this game is just soo much better than the first part. Go Polish devs!
Zzoram said:
Switching the lock on between enemies is kinda hard to manage. Is it really just moving your mouse around to adjust the view until the lock on symbo moves to another enemy?
You can always use the alt key to lock on to a specific enemy.

coopolon

subversus said:
it doesn't let you block when you're not out of previous move. And it doesn't let you make another move until the animation of the previous one is over. Combat is effectively turn-based, you SHOULDN'T mash buttons. But people don't get it. Also they don't get that using heavy blows makes a huge difference. They don't get what signs you need to use when there are more than 3 human enemies. Also bombs. And so on.

They should include a tutorial in the next game. "Young Geralt learns how to hold his sword!" and so on.

I didn't invest in alchemy, and it might be different if you do, but by the end of the game the bombs and traps were woefully underpowered against the creatures/soldiers I was fighting vs. just hitting them with my sword. And the status effects weren't at all necessary since it's so easy to just hold block and then counter or spam dodge to get behind them.

And I also was pretty disappointed in the potions. I understand that they were trying to make it have more depth by creating down sides to a lot of the potions, and also streamline it by making the entire process automated to the point where you hardly every interact with the ingredients unless you really want to, but I found that whenever there was a challenging fight the best solution was just chug a swallow, rook, and tawny owl and the fight became ridiculously easy. Maybe that gets better on the harder difficulties. And it's true that having to worry about alchemy bases in the first game sucked, figuring out secondary substances and which effect you wanted in the first game was actually pretty cool and I really missed it in this game.

subversus

coopolon said:
I didn't invest in alchemy, and it might be different if you do, but by the end of the game the bombs and traps were woefully underpowered against the creatures/soldiers I was fighting vs. just hitting them with my sword. And the status effects weren't at all necessary since it's so easy to just hold block and then counter or spam dodge to get behind them.

of course. Because soldiers and creatures are stronger by the end of the game while your alchemy skill stuck at the beginnig.

I just changed from a 1920x1200 high performance config to a 2560x1600 pretty config. The game is running pretty good except it has slow down at the beginning of conversations sometimes.

I just talked to a merchant and it was dropping frames during the beginning of the conversation. When I opened the menu to trade the mouse cursor was sluggish and choppy. I hit esc and restarted the conversation and it was still laggy. I restarted it a third time and it was smooth.

Anyone else had this problem?

Zzoram said:

It's harder at first, but I generally find you can find your own "flow" to combat. Changing your targets/stunning opponents rapidly is the best way to manage multiple opponent combat.

Also ROLL TO SAFETY

subversus

nismogrendel said:
I just changed from a 1920x1200 high performance config to a 2560x1600 pretty config. The game is running pretty good except it has slow down at the beginning of conversations sometimes.

I just talked to a merchant and it was dropping frames during the beginning of the conversation. When I opened the menu to trade the mouse cursor was sluggish and choppy. I hit esc and restarted the conversation and it was still laggy. I restarted it a third time and it was smooth.

Anyone else had this problem?

Yes, delete saves, leave only useful ones. Or copy them somewhere else just in case and delete them after that.

Zzoram

How do you delete saves?

In combat I often find myself running in circles and laying traps to thin the herd until it's 1v1 before I actually go melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom