• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Totobeni said:
You come down here and trap it!
Perfect XD

I finished the Troll quest this weekend on Dark Mode. I forgot how much I hate
Dmitri. Theres something about that fight that just destroys me. I literally have to run circles around his crew for 15 mins and take jabs when I can, hoping they get stuck on the foliage. I hate it.

Anno

Man, when combat "clicks" in this game it feels so great. Taking out three dudes in quick succession with good parries, ripostes and stuns just makes you feel like such a badass.

Salaadin

Anno said:
Man, when combat "clicks" in this game it feels so great. Taking out three dudes in quick succession with good parries, ripostes and stuns just makes you feel like such a badass.

Yeah. It still has its issues at times but sometimes, things just work and they feel so great.

Salaadin

Dries said:
Has anyone beaten the game yet in that death-is-final mode? Seems impossible to me.
I havent heard of anyone. Im thinking that the reason they held that contest for Dark Mode instead of the death-is-final mode is because it isnt possible to beat it with no saves or checkpoints.

DangerStepp

I finished the game back before summer and all the patch updates. Did anyone ever figure out the idea behind bait? It tripped me out because I NEVER used it.

Salaadin

Solo said:
Bait is for baiting monsters, no?
Yeah. I heard that some people had issues with the monsters not going to the bait but that is what its there for. I cant say for sure if it works because I never used it.

Dalauz

Anno said:
2895_4cfc.gif

Gvaz

Banned
elrechazao said:
about to play this on pc for the first time. Xbox controller, or mouse keyboard - opinions?
Keyboard and mouse feels tons less janky to me, also the menus aren't a turd to control with it.

Rufus

Unless you have some aversion to WASD, the keyboards works just as well as a controller. And you get the benefit of a cursor in the menus.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
elrechazao said:
about to play this on pc for the first time. Xbox controller, or mouse keyboard - opinions?

Mouse and Keyboard.

the combat with 360 controller is just way too slower and you are not in full control during the fights by using 360 controller( also it's easier to pick stuff with the and manage your inventory with the mouse and doing the QTEs with the Keyboard) I completed the game twice before but now doing it for the 3rd time the 360 controller feel completely wrong,I feel weak and inferior and I died many times in early in the game at normal when I used to rule like a boss, it's funny because I'm a console gamer mostly but for The Witcher 2 it's K&M or nothing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
elrechazao said:

MKB if you want to loot selectively and manage your inventory easily. 360 if you want a more natural feel to combat (I hate TPS with mouse so it's my personal opinion).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
subversus said:
MKB if you want to loot selectively and manage your inventory easily. 360 if you want a more natural feel to combat (I hate TPS with mouse so it's my personal opinion).

If you want to be a turtle on glue, that not a "natural feel" at all with the controller it's just slower and not as good.

subversus

Totobeni said:
If you want to be a turtle on glue, that not a "natural feel" at all with the controller it's just slower and not as good.

controlling a third-person camera with mouse sucks by default for me (especially in combat). I thought I clarified that in my post.

nasos_333

elrechazao said:

I played half way with KB+Mouse and then switched to controller

The feeling with the controller is night and day better for me, now i would not play it any other way, i also plan to get it for xbox 360 too for my 2ond playthrough, just for the extra controller optimizations

It just feels so much more natural and immersive, i could not belive the difference it made, given W2 is a game made for KB+Mouse mainly

I suppose it is the analog feeling in moving and camera that makes the difference

Salaadin

I tried controller the other day and it works ok for the combat and exploration but once youre in the menus, its shit. I wont touch my controller again for this game.

Thes one the big things theyll have to fix for the 360 version.

So I had this game since launch and never really played it, and since BF3 was being wonky last night I decided to launch it, and holy shit is this game fantastic. I love the Witcher 1 and this is no different.

Getting a steady 45-60 FPS with everything on, and Ultra in 1080p (no ubersampling lols)

EDIT - Holy shit I'm an idiot! I had texture downscaling set to high, no wonder the textures looked like shit, I put it to none and holy fucking shit...

1720fe04-91fa-42c2-8861-4df78a660bf9.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Works great with controller, not seeing this loss of control people are talking about, use whatever you're comfortable with. I guess you lose weapon/skill hotkeys and only have one enabled at a time but switching them out mid-combat is piss easy with the whole super slow motion menu to counter that and not make your character weaker or slower or with any disadvantage, even though you actually are doing the actions slower yourself. It's not like you're throwing spells left and right all the time anyway with the very limited gauge they have so you aren't doing 10 switches per second to make it a hassle to control or whatever else either. The inventory is alright too, sure you pick up everything but with the tabbing on the shoulder buttons you can always easily get rid of the junk and stuff. Shame the game itself isn't all that.

ACE 1991

Just started chapter 3. This might be one of my favorite RPGs ever. At the very least, it's easily the most mature RPG I've ever played.

So, when this came out, I bought it and played up until getting to the outpost, and lost interest. Exactly as it had been with Witcher 1. Losing focus and interest after a short while.

However, after patch 2.0 I gave it another shot, and may I say... I'm so glad I did. The new tutorial was really engrossing and beneficial, and it made me want to play the whole game. Rarely can a tutorial do that. It was very good.

I became engrossed in the story. I think Lethos was a really interesting character. What a great idea to have such intelligence and sneaky snarkyness over that brutish meat exterior. It made him a really worthy advisory and goal for this game. Even with all the other shit going on, number 1 was always to figure out why he did it.

In fact I think the ending was not that magnus opus I thought it would be. It felt more like, that this was just another little journey for the Witcher and that the biggest events have not even started yet.

I understand what everyone is saying now. This little polish developer who merely did translation work for NWN, have now outsmarted Bioware at their own game.

Witcher 2 is not perfect. It's not. There are some things, but goddamit, does this have the hallmarks of something crazy.

I was very surprised by the vistas. The vistas made me think and wonder how much it would cost to have done Witcher 2 as a tv series, with splendor of equal measure. It's vistas demand many many times higher than what is possible for a show like Game of Thrones, and that show was expensive.

The application of background blur was used really efficently. The combat becomes really engrossing the more you unlock. This is truly a great game.

If you're like me, and gave up within the first hours; give the new patch a try and do it again. It really does become very good.

irriadin

Just started actively playing this game. Oh. My. God. Not only does it look ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE like everyone has been saying, but it's actually decently written and has characters I care about. This immediately puts it ahead of almost every other fantasy game I've ever played.

Just got to Flotsam and my rational thought has disintegrated to the point where all I can think is "WOW PURTY"

Fjordson

All the 2.0 stuff is free for everyone on PC, right? No matter where you buy? I'm getting a new PC in December and this (with Skyrim) is going to be my first game on it. $40 right now on Steam!

Foffy

Banned
Fjordson said:
All the 2.0 stuff is free for everyone on PC, right? No matter where you buy? I'm getting a new PC in December and this (with Skyrim) is going to be my first game on it. $40 right now on Steam!

All of the updates are free. CD Projekt only wants to charge players for a possible expansion pack, like the ways it used to be done on PC.

I guess they have content planned after the 360 port.

Fjordson

Foffy said:
All of the updates are free. CD Projekt only wants to charge players for a possible expansion pack, like the ways it used to be done on PC.

I guess they have content planned after the 360 port.
Awesome. Figured it was that, but I wasn't sure. I really can't wait to play this game. First Witcher is one of my favourite RPG's ever, despite struggling through it at 15-20 FPS on an old laptop. This is going to look mind blowing in comparison.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fjordson said:
Awesome. Figured it was that, but I wasn't sure. I really can't wait to play this game. First Witcher is one of my favourite RPG's ever, despite struggling through it at 15-20 FPS on an old laptop. This is going to look mind blowing in comparison.
I envy you. The excitement I had running up to Witcher 2's release was palpable for me. I had just built a new rig, and I was so excited to put it through its paces. The feeling you get when you realize your rig can bend the game over its knee is....amazing.

syko de4d said:
after played DA2 witcher2 must be feels like the best game of all time.

Haha. I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 well enough. Nothing amazing by any means, but a solid 7.5. The difference from an 7.5 game and 10 game is a fucking canyon though. The Witcher was a 10, I expect no less out of Witcher 2.

I've only done the tutorial so far, which I think I'm going to do again and test out the 360 controller just to see. Good Lord is the game beautiful. Thank you my twin 560ti's, thank you.

subversus

ACE 1991 said:
How the fuck do I beat the second phase of the dragon on normal? I'm about to break my controller.
Relax

1)Use STRONG swings and roll back right after that. Timing is essential.
2)USE QUEN
3)Yrden might help but I didn't try it
4)USE QUEN. I had the weakest quen and still was able to beat him.

subversus said:
Relax

2)USE QUEN

Of course it doesn't help man! This is a dragon we're talking about, not some tiny little swamp monster.

ACE 1991

subversus said:
Relax

2)USE QUEN
This is essentially what i'm doing, I guess i'm just not executing it correctly.

Binabik15

subversus said:
Relax

2)USE QUEN
I'm at that part as well, stopped playing after release because I couldn't decide whom to recue as the last mission.

I go to the dragon to hit him, but half of the time Geralt won't attack and I get bitchslapped. My right mouse button works perfectly in every other game. Makes me rage.

I really like TW2, but I think I like the first one more. Remake in the new engine, please.

Edit: Today it worked on the second try, weird. Felt sad that I had to put it down :/

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
It'll be interesting to see how the controls for the X360 version ends up, because I can't see it being 100% identical to how the controller support is on the PC version. For example, not being able to pick up thing selectively, navigation of the menus.

I also hope they patch the controller support for the PC version, because I'd love to enjoy this from my comfy couch with a controller once I upgrade my PC. I already played through it once, but will follow the other path only when my PC is able to run it on close to full settings.

subversus

Tanolen said:
How useful is investing points into a better quen? Worth it or better to spend them elsewhere?

it's extremely useful but it was almost a cheat before patches. I completed the game twice before it was nerfed so I don't know really.

syko de4d

Tanolen said:
How useful is investing points into a better quen? Worth it or better to spend them elsewhere?
I only used quen in Dark with +60sec more duration and 60% damage reflect + hit more enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom