• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Salaadin said:
This better not happen. They would lose all credibility considering how pro-PC they are and how much they talk up their fanbase that consists of nothing but PC gamers.

They would just be the most recent in a long line of devs that have done that. I've said for a while they're most likely the next ones to do it.

Anyway on a more positive note I finished the game on Dark mode. It was fairly easy, probably even easier than Hard was for me since they fixed the combat issue I had (buttons not responding sometimes). I totally forgot about the new gear though. The hardest part is during Act 2 when
you take control of the ghosts in the battle, you can't roll or do anything Geralt can and it makes combat 10000000 times tougher

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SmokyDave said:
I suspect this is a sad inevitability. Once they taste that console cash, you may not see them for dust :(

It's only a matter of time until BIG LUMBER stumbles across our secret forest sanctuary.

The DLC herbalist gloves are way powerful. Basically all of the armor pieces are. I didn't replace any of them until the second chapter and the gloves reagent bonus is pimpstastic even now.

It's only a matter of time until BIG LUMBER stumbles across our secret forest sanctuary.

I like to think of it like forbidden fruit that must not be tasted. Or possession by a demon that must be invited. Do not eat of the console or DLC fruit, you will be forever tainted if you do.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, if they make consoles as their lead platforms this will change nothing except graphics. But I don't think they will do this until next-gen.

Dries

HeadlessRoland said:
The DLC herbalist gloves are way powerful. Basically all of the armor pieces are. I didn't replace any of them until the second chapter and the gloves reagent bonus is pimpstastic even now.

I like to think of it like forbidden fruit that must not be tasted. Or possession by a demon that must be invited. Do not eat of the console or DLC fruit, you will be forever tainted if you do.

Oooh, are they DLC? I always found it strange that I had such kick ass armour in the beginning. Same goes for that hoodie blue coat.

squidyj

Dries said:
Oooh, are they DLC? I always found it strange that I had such kick ass armour in the beginning. Same goes for that hoodie blue coat.

Yeah it's all preorder dlc or some such, same with The Mysterious Merchant.

Chinner

Banned
Derrick01 said:
They would just be the most recent in a long line of devs that have done that. I've said for a while they're most likely the next ones to do it.
the worst thing is when microsoft will inevitably gut them to make kinect games.

Salaadin said:
I look forward to Kinect Triss.

1108856019_wZAD4-L.jpg

Complistic

subversus said:
Well, if they make consoles as their lead platforms this will change nothing except graphics. But I don't think they will do this until next-gen.

Nah it's a slippery slope. It starts with graphics but then the games just keep getting simpler in both story and gameplay.

Until you have Dragon Age 2 basically.

Salaadin

I dont ever want to see a simple story in a Witcher game. The worlds they create and the stories they put in these worlds are some of the favorites right now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Salaadin said:
This better not happen. They would lose all credibility considering how pro-PC they are and how much they talk up their fanbase that consists of nothing but PC gamers.

After Rage horrible pc port and id ignorance ( you can't be more pro-PC than id)I don't believe in pro PC developer anymore, they go for the money.

Worst case scenario for TW3 is that if TW2 sells well on 360 CD Projekt RED might make the 360 lead sku for TW3 and dumped it down or add co-op and online (since console people love these stuff).

Dries

Holy shit... how come those wraiths in the
abandoned hospital in Act 1
are so tough? Better save that quest for later...

And how come every screenshot I make of this game could totally be an awesome painting as well.. This world they've created is just breathtaking.

I need GAF's collective help here....I can't seem to find the arrangement of Chopin's Nocturne in F minor Op.55 used in the Hope trailer. Searching for it on itunes or amazon only gives me piano only arrangements. Anyone have any ideas where I could find this?

ACE 1991

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's PC, unless he happens to have a Delorean :p
Hahaha. I actually had a few people walk into my dorm and ask what incredible looking xbox game I was playing.

ACE 1991 said:
Hahaha. I actually had a few people walk into my dorm and ask what incredible looking xbox game I was playing.

I did the same thing on my 50' plasma with my controller... for a solid week i had a couple friends and a girl or two come over to just enjoy the sexy look of it...

ACE 1991

Johnny2Bags said:
I did the same thing on my 50' plasma with my controller... for a solid week i had a couple friends and a girl or two come over to just enjoy the sexy look of it...

Yeah, it really looks excellent on a nicely calibrated set. I haven't turned on my Xbox once since I built my PC two months ago...

Anno

Just bought this today. I never played the original game so I'm taking my time trying to read everything I can so I can place all of the people and areas. I just got to Flotsam but man, so far I'm super impressed. The combat definitely took some getting used to but already I feel like I have some handle on it. The few times I've put together a string of good attacks I've felt more badass than in any game in a long long time. Also the voice acting is some of the best I've heard maybe ever. I run around talking to everyone just to hear their lines. The world is so very believable.

Dries

Hooooly crap, people weren't joking when they said this game was hard. I am getting my ass kicked so often... Basically, Quen is vital?

I need some beginner tips, guys, playing on normal.

subversus

Dries said:
Hooooly crap, people weren't joking when they said this game was hard. I am getting my ass kicked so often... I need some beginner tips guys, playing on normal.
Have you completed the tutorial? And where are you now?

Dries

subversus said:
Have you completed the tutorial? And where are you now?

Act 1, just got attacked by elves in
the forest by the waterfall
. But I haven't killed
the Kayran
yet. Maybe I'm playing wrong? I tend to do every side-quest before doing the main quest.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dries said:
Act 1, just got attacked by elves in
the forest by the waterfall
. But I haven't killed
the Kayran
yet. Maybe I'm playing wrong? I tend to do every side-quest before doing the main quest.

I would recommend being flighty and using aard to temporarily stun enemies so you don't get gang banged. Don't forget about bombs and traps, they're a huge help in scenarios with multiple enemies. With bombs, you can inflict damage on multiple enemies from a distance, and traps will slow them down, giving you a little breathing room.

Oh well that's your fault :p

You let your guard down because some elf woman offered you a bit of rumpy-pumpy. You're playing as Geralt, not Dandelion.

That bit can be extremely difficult. Best advice I can give you is to roll between targets until the archers are dead, then either use Yrden or Axii to take one swordsman out of combat at a time while you deal with the rest. And yeah, listen to Solo and bomb their asses.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Finally watched The Hexer...it wasn't super bad (DVD quality was shit tho)and it gave me many new information on Geralt and the universe.

Was the red haired girl with Geralt at the queen's party supposed to be Triss ?

I just enjoy this universe very much, I guess I need to get the books and maybe the TV series too.

Johnny2Bags said:

I finished the game twice with m&k but I still can't play this with my 360 controller, it just feel "wrong" and the combat with controller is way slower I even die early in the game at normal with the controller, it's weird since I am really more of a console gamer.

Salaadin

Totobeni said:
I just enjoy this universe very much, I guess I need to get the books and maybe the TV series too.

The Last Wish is very good as are the fan translations of the second short story collection. I havent started Blood of Elves yet.

Anno

Anyone know of a good resource to catch up on the happenings/people/places of the original Witcher? I was looking through the Wikia for a bit but it seems littered with W2 spoilers that I wanted to avoid.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anno said:
Anyone know of a good resource to catch up on the happenings/people/places of the original Witcher? I was looking through the Wikia for a bit but it seems littered with W2 spoilers that I wanted to avoid.

This covers everything, and there are no TW2 spoilers:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_storyline

The only things you'll want to avoid are the links for Geralt, Triss, Zoltan, Dandelion and Foltest. Their respective pages have TW2 plot details

Anno

Just completed the first chapter. Decided to
go with Roche as that seems to be the most likely way to save Triss, which I really want to do
. I wish that I had finished off the last few side quests before moving on, but oh well. I'll get 'em next time. I'm already looking forward to a second play through some time from now, maybe on the Dark difficulty.

Edit: Is there some way to see how much time you've put in on a single game? I'd guess I put maybe 14 hours in over the last two days but I'd like to see for sure. How long do people usually take on a game? I've heard you can burn it in like 25 or go up to maybe 40-50 with all the side stuff. That would be great.

Dries

Thanks for the tips guys. I've learned now that potions and oils are pretty mandatory on normal. This wasn't so in the original.

Dries

Just killed the
Kayran
. Holy SHIT, that was epic. Everything from the buildup to the actual battle itself. So good.

subversus

Dries said:
Thanks for the tips guys. I've learned now that potions and oils are pretty mandatory on normal. This wasn't so in the original.

yeah, I also recommend READING BOOKS ON MONSTERS. I once tried to beat one high-level monster for 40 minutes, than I read the book about it and figured out how to beat him in 5 minutes.

For heavy lone adversaries if you have the place to maneuver Yrden is very useful, just lay it in the ground, attack when the monster is trapped, and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom