• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discotheque said:
where's this talk of a possible expansion pack coming? best rpg of the year (hell...I'd probably give it GOTY too now even over Deus Ex 3) but I had problems with it's third act. It ended things with Letho nicely but more could have happened.

Hopefully we go back to Kaer Morhen again in the expansion or the third game. Not for too long, but just to hopefully meet up with all your bros who disbanded in the first game.

Are they big enough to do multiple projects? I figure they're all working on the 360 version now. After that I'd rather they start part 3 then work on an expansion. Maybe I'll feel differently by the end.

I hope they like making these games, because I want them until the end of time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Complistic said:
They kind of gave you an option there. If you wanted to you could not care about finding out whats happened to triss or you could not drink and immediately go investigate.

this. it's up to the player. But I agree that if player was in haste (and if he was not) it should have been reflected in the journal.

Complistic

RedSwirl said:
Is it just me or do a lot of the characters in this game have really big eyes? Triss for instance.

It's not really a realistic art style by any means. Everything is stylized to some degree including character design.

Done. Fucking awesome. All the choices are crazy. I felt like I saw like 25% of the game. Very curious to see where part three goes since it doesn't flat out set up the next one like part one did.

Really my only complaint is voices being cut off. I kept telling myself that anytime someone was talking I needed to stop walking, and then forgetting next time and cutting their speech off. That and odd volume swells and dives with voices are pretty much it.

Game seemed pretty easy, what did they change so much from the initial release to make it so much easier? I probably died like five times the whole game. I did do the tutorial if that's the big difference.

EDIT: Also, I see the community thread is still not working right as it shows that is has zero posts and isn't bumped by new posts.

Complistic

The game was hard as shit at first. Incredibly unforgiving. I think it's about the right difficulty now but you just get too strong as you level up. They needed to throw different enemies at you that mix things up in the later bits of the game I think to make it more difficult.

Considering it's the second game they've ever made, This is not me complaining. they've still got plenty to learn.

Xdrive05

Any advice on fighting the
kingslayer down in the "Elvin" spring place
? I can't seem to get any traction on this one. I feel like I'm not properly leveled/equipped for this...

I have two magic "slots" and I've spent all my "level tokens" on beefing up my shield, etc. I've tried and failed no fewer than twenty times here... at best I've whittled his health down to 80%...

And yes, as you can tell from the quoted words, I have not played the game in months and I've forgotten the nomenclature of the series. ;-)

Complistic

You only need to get his health down like half way I think it was. Thats also one of the harder fights in the game. Basically don't attack him if he has his shield up and keep running around to avoid his signs.

Make sure you keep your own quen up at all times as well.

Halfmunch

Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-EA let CD Projekt RED make Dragon Age MMO
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED
-Bioware makes The Witcher 3 as a shooter/dating sim hybrid.
-Female Geralt fans asks for her to be on the cover.

LOL don't give EA any ideas... this shit scares me.

Solo

Quen, roll, bombs to break his quen

LOL, this must be the 100th time I've given this advice in this thread. Everyone has trouble with Letho the first time, it seems.

subversus

Solo said:
Quen, roll, bombs to break his quen

LOL, this must be the 100th time I've given this advice in this thread. Everyone has trouble with Letho the first time, it seems.

also people doesn't seem to know that
that you need to reduce his health to 50% only
and give up too soon.

Salaadin

Crunched said:
To be fair, how would they?

They wouldnt.
I remember my first good try at him, I got him down to about 55% and sat there thinking "damn, I ONLY took off that much health" and didnt think Id be able to keep it up. 2 minutes later, he was dead..

subversus

Crunched said:
To be fair, how would they?

they shouldn't!!!

never-give-up-frog.jpg

Xdrive05

Thanks everyone. That's great to know. I'll give it another shot. :)

Amazing game by the way.

EDIT: Beat him on the first try - just took patience and learning the pattern of "he attacks, you block and let your quen stun him, you attack twice, block, rinse and repeat" and constantly evading, etc. Chapter 2 now. Thanks!

Dries

Strolling through Act 2 Roche side and I came upon a little lake with a waterfall. Mist was hanging over the lake and the sun fell through the trees..

So. Fucking. Beautiful.

Salaadin

Dries said:
Strolling through Act 2 Roche side and I came upon a little lake with a waterfall. Mist was hanging over the lake and the sun fell through the trees..

So. Fucking. Beautiful.

*brochefist*

I think the scenery outside the camp on Roches side is prettier than the scenery outside Vergen. There are too many cool areas hidden away out there.

Dries

Salaadin said:
*brochefist*

I think the scenery outside the camp on Roches side is prettier than the scenery outside Vergen. There are too many cool areas hidden away out there.

I took this side especially cause everyone says that Iorveth's side is better haha. Hard to believe though, cause the scenery is indeed gorgeous. Save the best for last, they say.

Anyway.. that rotfiend contract. I need to find just one more corpse, but can't. Where is that stupid thing?

Solo

Dries said:

So. Fucking. Beautiful.

You have chosen.......

......WISELY.

Solo

Dries said:
I took this side especially cause everyone says that Iorveth's side is better haha.

Those people are junkies. Pay them no mind. They don't know what year it is, let alone what the superior branching path in The Witcher 2 is.

Salaadin

Dries said:
I took this side especially cause everyone says that Iorveth's side is better haha. Hard to believe though, cause the scenery is indeed gorgeous. Save the best for last, they say.

Anyway.. that rotfiend contract. I need to find just one more corpse, but can't. Where is that stupid thing?

I think they patched it so that rottfiend no longer hang out near the bodies after they have been burned so if you find rottfiend somewhere, theres probably a body nearby. Im not 100% on this though.

woober

For some reason I never got around to finishing Witcher 2. I got busy with finishing Deus Ex 1 and Deus Ex: HR... and then Starcraft II and BF3. But with Skyrim coming out, I feel the need to finish Witcher 2.

I sense I am close to Act 3. I just passed that infamous gif of Roche falling. I seriously hope they're planning on a full fledged sequel and not an expansion pack for this game.

Solo

woober said:
For some reason I never got around to finishing Witcher 2. I got busy with finishing Deus Ex 1 and Deus Ex: HR... and then Starcraft II and BF3. But with Skyrim coming out, I feel the need to finish Witcher 2.

I sense I am close to Act 3. I just passed that infamous gif of Roche falling. I seriously hope they're planning on a full fledged sequel and not an expansion pack for this game.

The Witcher 3: Roche Before Hoes

Dries

How much of Act 2 is actually truly different when you choose sides? Do you get completely new enviroments?

rakhir

Dries said:
How much of Act 2 is actually truly different when you choose sides? Do you get completely new enviroments?
Every quest is different, different towns, questgivers etc. You pass by the other camp at some point of the story, but in a vastly different circumstances.
Environment is mostly the same, but you spend more time at one side of the map depending on the path.

Solo

Dries said:

You will visit locales from both chapters in both chapters, and a few of the main quests are the same, but otherwise, they are different.

RedSwirl

So how do you guys think the console people will react to this game? To be honest it uses a lot of current AAA game trends that they're familiar with, just in a more hardcore way, so I don't think there will be much of a learning curve. I don't really see much of a problem in terms of appeal either in terms of the world, etc.

The only danger the 360 version faces is lack of awareness. That totally depends on whether or not Mass Effect 3 overshadows it and if Warner Bros. gives it decent advertising. After seeing dudebros talk about Elder Scrolls since Oblivion hit big time I don't think they're averse to RPGs at all.

You think it could at least have a Demon's Souls level of success?

Kyaw

I don't think it will sell very much on the 360 as most console people won't know much about the game or the Witcher as fiction material.

Although those who wanted to play Witcher 2 on PC but had incapable hardware might buy it on 360.

I really hope it gets Demon's Souls level of success though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well There is a chance,after all Fable,Oblivion,Dark Souls,Dragon Age did very well on the 360, so the xbox people seems to love the medieval/middle earth themed games and that give The Witcher 2 a chance to success.

As for the lack of awareness it will be only if WB is just too stupid and released the game in a crowded month, The Witcher 2 already got fantastic reviews and declared the best WRPG of this generation by many,and you have big fanbase love the genre already on 360 so it will really only depend on WB advertising job and word of mouth from 360 gamers.

The only thing I see it "hurt" the game and may let Fable/DA/TES fans on 360 to skip it is the number "2" on the title, if WB smart they should put a flash comic telling the Witcher 1 story with the game like ME2 on the PS3.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Why does this game create so many fucking save files? Is there any way to delete them?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MrOogieBoogie said:
Why does this game create so many fucking save files? Is there any way to delete them?

I love the auto saves system, can return to any point if I fucked something, other games should do it.

Yeah you can delete just by going to load screen and hit delete or better yet download The Witcher 1/2 Savegame manager from Witcher nexus

Salaadin

Totobeni said:
I love the auto saves system, can return to any point if I fucked something, other games should do it.

Yeah you can delete just by going to load screen and hit delete or better yet download The Witcher 1/2 Savegame manager from Witcher nexus

I like it too. I love when games give me this worry free feeling regarding their saves. If I screw up or the game crashes, I wont lose a lot of time.
Skyrim is pretty good with this too...saving when you go in/out of dungeons and an auto save every 15 mins. Even then I find myself tapping F5 every so often just to be safe.

I think they patched it so that the save files are smaller too. I remember at launch, some people had over 2GBs of saves or something like that. That was insane.

Amazon is showing a May 2012 release date for the 360 version now. I wonder if its going to be delayed again.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
'm a little disappointed they're going to release the next game multiplatform.

This is how it starts :( .

As long as they keep the PC as their lead Sku then this shit should be fine. ( The Witcher 2 was made as multiplat in mind but it worked because PC lead so no console limitation hurt it) but if they pick 360 as lead platform like every other developer nowadays..then..yeah.

Salaadin

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/109

it sounds like we're going to get an expansion pack or two though. I'm not saying they can't release a good quality pc title and have a console version, but those two things quickly become the same. I'm sure we'll be fine until they get bought by a larger company.

I wish they would specifically say whether or not more expansions/dlc are on the way. I guess all focus is on the 360 version atm.

Chinner

Banned
As long as they keep the PC as their lead Sku then this shit should be fine. ( The Witcher 2 was made as multiplat in mind but it worked because PC lead so no console limitation hurt it) but if they pick 360 as lead platform like every other developer nowadays..then..yeah.
i wouldn't worry about it. chances are by the time witcher 3 is out the new generation of consoles will be out and pc/consoles will be more on the same playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom