• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

irriadin

Played more Witcher last night, enjoying it immensely. I ran around killing Nekkers, did the Hospital quest, and got rofl-stomped by the Endrega Queen. I do have a question, though. Is there some easy way of picking up items in this game? Because I have to twitch Geralt around a lot to get the loot screen to even appear. Am I doing something wrong?

irriadin said:
Played more Witcher last night, enjoying it immensely. I ran around killing Nekkers, did the Hospital quest, and got rofl-stomped by the Endrega Queen. I do have a question, though. Is there some easy way of picking up items in this game? Because I have to twitch Geralt around a lot to get the loot screen to even appear. Am I doing something wrong?

This was bugging the shit out of me too. It's based on what the camera is aiming at, not what Geralt is looking at.

Good ways in to Act I. Game is fuck awesome. Can't belive how well it plays. Dragon Age 2 ran worse for me then this is; everythign maxed except uber and it feels like I'm getting a solid 60 FPS (haven't actually checked). Bioware needs this engine for Mass Effect. Shit would be crazy.

Dries

Hero_of_the_Day said:
This was bugging the shit out of me too. It's based on what the camera is aiming at, not what Geralt is looking at.

Good ways in to Act I. Game is fuck awesome. Can't belive how well it plays. Dragon Age 2 ran worse for me then this is; everythign maxed except uber and it feels like I'm getting a solid 60 FPS (haven't actually checked). Bioware needs this engine for Mass Effect. Shit would be crazy.

Isn't it the most beautiful thing ever? Also maxed without uber and getting 45 fps overall.

Dries said:
Isn't it the most beautiful thing ever? Also maxed without uber and getting 45 fps overall.

Yeah. It's crazy. Is there anything coming out next year that is going to be graphics power house like this? Between this and Battlefield 3, I think we've seen the top of the mountain until next gen starts on consoles.

Outside of graphics, this game feels so much tighter then part one. I don't know what it is exactly, just feels better put together all around. Little quirks here and there like voices cutting out and shit are annoying. But over all, it's amazing. I wish they'd add fully customizable controlls. Using a 360 controller and it bugs me I can't set the journal to the back button since it doesn't appear to do shit outside of the tutorial. Any way. Time to finish Act I.

Salaadin

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Dragon Age 2 ran worse for me then this is; everythign maxed except uber and it feels like I'm getting a solid 60 FPS (haven't actually checked). Bioware needs this engine for Mass Effect. Shit would be crazy.

I was thinking about this too. DA2 ran worse for me as well and its fps drops were more noticeable. I can run TW2 at 35-60fps and its drops are hardly noticeable AND it looks so much better. I cant imagine how things will be if they further optimize this engine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hero_of_the_Day said:

-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-EA let CD Projekt RED make Dragon Age MMO
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED
-Bioware makes The Witcher 3 as a shooter/dating sim hybrid.
-Female Geralt fans asks for her to be on the cover.

Chinner

Banned
Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED
that's not even funny.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED

I wanna do cruel things to you.

Salaadin

Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED
You are a horrible person

Salaadin said:
I was thinking about this too. DA2 ran worse for me as well and its fps drops were more noticeable. I can run TW2 at 35-60fps and its drops are hardly noticeable AND it looks so much better. I cant imagine how things will be if they further optimize this engine.

Yeah. I had the high res pack. With sli 560ti's, 2500k @ 4.5, and 8 gigs ram. Any time there was fire or fog I would lose 15-20 FPS (dropping from 60). Only thing that hitches up Witcher is when it's loading an area, but that's obviously to be expected.

Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED

Is CD Projekt not leasing out (or whatever the term is) the engine? If so, that's pretty not smart of them. Such a great engine. I did have one of those scorpion looking monsters charge at me and vanish into the city gate when I dodged. That's the only glitch I've even seen so far.

Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED

So where in this timeline does NK invade the US?

Totobeni said:
-EA buys CD Projekt RED
-Bioware get RED engine
-Dragon Age MMO bombs
-EA close CD Projekt RED
*chokes on coffee*

Finished chapter I. So fucking awesome.
Loredo's mom losing her head
was some crazy shit.

I hope these guys start part 3 as soon as they're done with the 360 port. I'm already dreading the thought of this ending.

So confused by this thread being in the community and gaming forum at the same time. I keep posting on the community side and it bumps in the gaming forum only. Weird.

Salaadin

Hero_of_the_Day said:
So confused by this thread being in the community and gaming forum at the same time. I keep posting on the community side and it bumps in the gaming forum only. Weird.

We are? I dont see us in Community at all.

Only nouveau PC gamers would think CDProjekt would defect to the side of Satan. The fact that they run GOG makes them more similar to Valve than anyone else, in that their continued independence makes huge financial sense because making games isn't their main source of income.

subversus

jim-jam bongs said:
Only nouveau PC gamers would think CDProjekt would defect to the side of Satan. The fact that they run GOG makes them more similar to Valve than anyone else, in that their continued independence makes huge financial sense because making games isn't their main source of income.

PC isn't what makes The Witcher great (except graphics).

Salaadin

subversus said:
I agree to an extent. The gameplay in The Witcher 2 isnt very PC at all but I think their stance and attitude towards making games resonates well with the PC crowd.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
On page four at the moment. I figured they moved it last night or something.

Oh I see. I got to pg 3 and stopped. Its not being bumped at all? Strange.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:

Heh, I think it's mostly just tongue in cheek cynicism, I don't think they would ever do such a thing, but at the same time it's always good to mentally prepare yourself for the worst.

subversus said:

I'd disagree quite strongly with that considering the free DLC, no DRM and nearly totally digital release, but that's not really my point. Valve have never stopped making PC games then porting them just because they are now a cross-platform developer. That's simply because they have no need to pander to the console audience, but they have every reason to pander to the PC audience because they're the people making them the big bucks via Steam.

The same can be said for CDProjekt. Regardless of any particular inherent platform advantages or disadvantages, their continued financial success relies entirely on the goodwill of PC gamers, so they would be crazy to turn around and start asking us to hammer the awesome button.

subversus

jim-jam bongs said:
I'd disagree quite strongly with that considering the free DLC, no DRM and nearly totally digital release, but that's not really my point. Valve have never stopped making PC games then porting them just because they are now a cross-platform developer. That's simply because they have no need to pander to the console audience, but they have every reason to pander to the PC audience because they're the people making them the big bucks via Steam.

The same can be said for CDProjekt. Regardless of any particular inherent platform advantages or disadvantages, their continued financial success relies entirely on the goodwill of PC gamers, so they would be crazy to turn around and start asking us to hammer the awesome button.

This all have nothing to do with actual gameplay. People who play on consoles shouldn't be blamed for Bioware trying to pander to non-RPG crowd. Why From Software don't even think about the awesome button while their game is a console-exclusive?

I could relate to this sentiment if TW2 was a turn-based isometric RPG.

Gaogaogao

subversus said:
it is the philosophy of being a hardcore pc developer, as opposed to a mainstream console developer (see: the current state of call of duty and dragon age) that make this game what it is.

subversus said:
This all have nothing to do with actual gameplay. People who play on consoles shouldn't be blamed for Bioware trying to pander to non-RPG crowd. Why From Software don't even think about the awesome button while their game is a console-exclusive?

I think that you're confused about the point I'm making here mate. They don't need to sell many tens of millions of copies of The Witcher 2 to turn a profit and stay afloat, and a big part of the reason for that is GOG. I'm not making a point about PC vs consoles here, I'm simply taking it as a given that the console audience is more mainstream, and that is the audience Bioware have been trying to appeal to lately.

By contrast, the niche CRPG audience has lived on PC since the late 90s, and their expectations for the games they're buying are clearly at odds with the approach Bioware have been taking; but they align wonderfully with the goals of CDProjekt. My point is that, even putting aside the game mechanics discussion, CDProjekt have a major reason to continue to align their goals with those of that audience, because there is a lot of crossover into their GOG customer base.

Gaogaogao

subversus said:

because they are japanese developers making a game for japanese people, dont have a focus group demanding they consolify the game, because they have found their niche that could not expand if the game was easier and more forgiving.

Complistic said:
Geralt doesn't lose his cool no matter what.

Haha. Losing your cool is one thing. Slowly picking your ass up, talking to Roche, having a beer with Loredo, having a beer with Dendelion, then deciding to look for the person in danger is another. Especially after giving her the most romantic doggy style banging ever shortly before.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Haha. Losing your cool is one thing. Slowly picking your ass up, talking to Roche, having a beer with Loredo, having a beer with Dendelion, then deciding to look for the person in danger is another. Especially after giving her the most romantic doggy style banging ever shortly before.

That's because it's a more realistic way for a mercenary hero to behave. This odd tendency in dramatic fiction to have characters suddenly pick themselves and leave home for possibly years without any preparation is pretty silly when you think about it. Also, in that specific case, he knows that Triss has been kidnapped for a reason, and that the kidnappers won't harm her until they get what they want from her.

jim-jam bongs said:
That's because it's a more realistic way for a mercenary hero to behave. This odd tendency in dramatic fiction to have characters suddenly pick themselves and leave home for possibly years without any preparation is pretty silly when you think about it. Also, in that specific case, he knows that Triss has been kidnapped for a reason, and that the kidnappers won't harm her until they get what they want from her.

He didn't know she had been kidnapped yet. He knew Letho was going for her. If I knew the dude I was trying to kill was going after someone, I think I'd get my ass there to try and stop him, at the very least just to kill the guy.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
He didn't know she had been kidnapped yet. He knew Letho was going for her. If I knew the dude I was trying to kill was going after someone, I think I'd get my ass there to try and stop him, at the very least just to kill the guy.

And that's why you'd die during the first mutation.

Solo

Hero_of_the_Day said:

This is why you aren't a witcher.

Yeah, you guys can try and spin it any way you want. It's still a goofy not well done moment. "Hey, I'm telling you I'm going to go do this, like right now." "Okay, I'm going to casually make my way there and be pissed when you've already slipped away." 'Cause that's exactly how it went in the game.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Yeah, you guys can try and spin it any way you want. It's still a goofy not well done moment. "Hey, I'm telling you I'm going to go do this, like right now." "Okay, I'm going to casually make my way there and be pissed when you've already slipped away." 'Cause that's exactly how it went in the game.

It's not spin dude, it's common-sense. I know that most fantasy defines a hero as someone who rushes headlong into combat without thinking first, but the reason that Geralt is still alive is because he doesn't do that.

jim-jam bongs said:
It's not spin dude, it's common-sense. I know that most fantasy defines a hero as someone who rushes headlong into combat without thinking first, but the reason that Geralt is still alive is because he doesn't do that.

What did he go and plan? I know you obviously don't remember how it played out well since you already said Geralt knew she was kidnapped, when he didn't at this point. There's no planning how they're going to stop her getting captured. He just casually comes back to town and talks to Dandelion (has two drinks if the player so chooses). And then they go to find her. Shockingly, she's already kidnapped by now because for some reason Geralt decided to take his time. Why was he even going to Dandelion? Show/tell me why Geralt took his time and I'll concede it wasn't just a not well done section of story telling.

EDIT: Yeah, I even just read the journal entry which pretty well proves it was just not well done in the game. It talks about how Geralt hauled ass to town knowing that every second mattered and that even a moments delay could result in her death.

I figured they meant for it to seem more tense and frantic then it did. No biggy, the game is still awesome.

Complistic

Hero_of_the_Day said:

They kind of gave you an option there. If you wanted to you could not care about finding out whats happened to triss or you could not drink and immediately go investigate.

I thought you meant the next part. Do you play many RPGs? What you're describing is sort of mandatory in games with a lot of side quests, because they need to always give the player the option of putting something off until later in favour of picking some wild flowers.

Complistic said:
They kind of gave you an option there. If you wanted to you could not care about finding out whats happened to triss or you could not drink and immediately go investigate.

Right, I did skip the drinking and everything. I don't want to keep going on, 'cause it makes it seem like I hated it or something when it was just a minor hiccup for me, not a "what is this garbage game!" moment. But, even how slowly he got his ass up and took the time to talke to Roche before heading out. I think it would have worked better for me if they had just done a cut scene showing him haul ass back to town. Or giving me a reason why Geralt went to the bar to ask Dandelion if he knew where she was. Why didn't he go to where she was staying? Even if there wasn't a romantic link between the two, why wouldn't he be getting there for the sole purpose of killing the bad guy?

jim-jam bongs said:
I thought you meant the next part. Do you play many RPGs? What you're describing is sort of mandatory in games with a lot of side quests, because they need to always give the player the option of putting something off until later in favour of picking some wild flowers.

I figured you meant the next part, which does play out fine for me.

I'm not a big RPGer, no. This is my third one in a row oddly enough though (Xenoblade, Dragon Age 2 if that counts, and now this). But, yeah. I get what you're saying. It was a gaming moment, but I felt it should have kept going with the story moment instead.

where's this talk of a possible expansion pack coming? best rpg of the year (hell...I'd probably give it GOTY too now even over Deus Ex 3) but I had problems with it's third act. It ended things with Letho nicely but more could have happened.

Hopefully we go back to Kaer Morhen again in the expansion or the third game. Not for too long, but just to hopefully meet up with all your bros who disbanded in the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom