• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/109

it sounds like we're going to get an expansion pack or two though. I'm not saying they can't release a good quality pc title and have a console version, but those two things quickly become the same. I'm sure we'll be fine until they get bought by a larger company.

You phrase that like an inevitability. CDP may not be Valve Rich™, but their games sell relatively well and GoG seems like it's doing just fine; I'd say they have income to keep the studio afloat for the foreseeable future.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
CD Project has already been bought (it was a merger though). They are one of the biggest european retail publishers. Wake up, people.

JaseC

CD Project has already been bought (it was a merger though). They are one of the biggest european retail publishers. Wake up, people.

Are you referring to the merger with Metropolis? Through that action, CDP became the majority of owner of the studio; if anything, they purchased Metropolis, not the contrary:

Metropolis Joins CD Projekt Group

WARSAW, FEBRUARY 18, 2008 - CD Projekt and Metropolis Software announced that they have signed an investment agreement, under which CD Projekt will become the majority owner of Metropolis Software.

Admittedly, I did forget that they have a large publishing presence in Central Europe. I tend to think of CPR as nothing more than the blokes behind The Witcher and GoG.

subversus

Admittedly, I did forget that they have a large publishing presence in Central Europe. I tend to think of CPR as nothing more than the blokes behind The Witcher and GoG.

No, they were publishing games since BG1 and with great success.

RedSwirl

Are you referring to the merger with Metropolis? Through that action, CDP became the majority of owner of the studio; if anything, they purchased Metropolis, not the contrary:

So basically CDP is the big AAA studio of central Europe?

JaseC

No, they were publishing games since BG1 and with great success.

I'm confused - what exactly are you rebutting? I merely implied that since I don't keep a thorough track of their activities outside of The Witcher and their DD service, I tend to forget they have fingers in other pies.

So basically CDP is the big AAA studio of central Europe?

Seems so. Gaming Nexus's report on the Metropolis merger labelled them (CDP) as the largest PC distributor in the region.

Salaadin

Just received a ~60mb update through Steam. Can't find patch notes yet.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/110

We have just released a small patch improving communication between game installations and the registration server as well as Arena Leaderboards. We have also introduced a number of corrections to The Witcher 2 configuration tool. The game launcher will automatically update any new installation of the game to version 2.1. If you encounter difficulties with the automatic update, please refer to our support section for manual download link.

subversus

I'm confused - what exactly are you rebutting? I merely implied that since I don't keep a thorough track of their activities outside of The Witcher and their DD service, I tend to forget they have fingers in other pies.

I'm not rebutting anything.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just got to chapter 2. The first chapter is loooooooong.

Also, is it just me or is arm wrestling the easiest minigame in minigame history?

Darkone

Started the game yesterday on Dark difficulty, what a game, great grachics and gameplay.
combat system is so awesome and surpass in any way the withcer 1.

playing this with a 360 controller witch is very comftrable, only one thing that is annoying that when you lock to an enemy you are not facing him, only when i attack, the attack swing automatically directs on him, is there any way to face a locked enemy like in most games??

Salaadin

Started the game yesterday on Dark difficulty, what a game, great grachics and gameplay.
combat system is so awesome and surpass in any way the withcer 1.

playing this with a 360 controller witch is very comftrable, only one thing that is annoying that when you lock to an enemy you are not facing him, only when i attack, the attack swing automatically directs on him, is there any way to face a locked enemy like in most games??

I actually dont think thats possible. At least I never found a way to do it.
The game would benefit from a lock on system like you describe, imo.

Haunted

Man, the game can be janky as fuck and most of the cutscenes feel like they have some part missing, but I'll be damned if the start of chapter 2 doesn't showcase the most impressive graphics I've ever seen in a game.

I expect this game (and this part in particular) to stay on the graphical top for a good while, well into the next generation probably.

Salaadin

Man, the game can be janky as fuck and most of the cutscenes feel like they have some part missing, but I'll be damned if the start of chapter 2 doesn't showcase the most impressive graphics I've ever seen in a game.

I expect this game (and this part in particular) to stay on the graphical top for a good while, well into the next generation probably.

Yeah. It could definitely use a little more polish in the areas you mention.
Which side did you go with at the end of Act 1?

Enkidu

I actually dont think thats possible. At least I never found a way to do it.
The game would benefit from a lock on system like you describe, imo.
You can lock on to an enemy by pressing ALT, although I've found it to be pretty useless. Don't know how you'd do it on a gamepad though. Also, is Dark supposed to be extremely difficult or something? So far I've played through the first act and it wasn't really any more difficult than when I played through it on hard, and it should only get easier from here on as I get more useful talents.

Salaadin

You can lock on to an enemy by pressing ALT, although I've found it to be pretty useless. Don't know how you'd do it on a gamepad though. Also, is Dark supposed to be extremely difficult or something? So far I've played through the first act and it wasn't really any more difficult than when I played through it on hard, and it should only get easier from here on as I get more useful talents.

I think he wanted some sort of lock on where you directly face the enemy at all times and can strafe around them. I dont think that can be done unless theres something I just didnt catch.

Dark Mode hasnt been too bad for me so far either. Its harder but not too bad

Enkidu

I think he wanted some sort of lock on where you directly face the enemy at all times and can strafe around them. I dont think that can be done unless theres something I just didnt catch.

Dark Mode hasnt been too bad for me so far either. Its harder but not too bad
I don't know if I see the need, although perhaps it's more necessary on a gamepad since you don't have as much camera control as with a mouse. Personally I find even the existing lock on to do more harm then good when I turn it on to be honest.

Haunted

Chapter 2 is completely different based on who you choose.
UQol1.gif

You're going to make me replay that part of the game when I'm finished with my first playthrough, aren't you.

Salaadin

Went with my man Roche!

Does that change where you start Chapter 2? Just yes or no, no spoilers! :D

Lol, good choice :)

And Yes. It does change where you start.

I don't know if I see the need, although perhaps it's more necessary on a gamepad since you don't have as much camera control as with a mouse. Personally I find even the existing lock on to do more harm then good when I turn it on to be honest.

My only beef with the current combat system comes from its slash-dodge type of gameplay. Theres little up close fighting and no strafe dodge. Most battles are fought and won by rolling around on the ground and smacking away when the enemies "drop their fucking guard". It works but I wish it was tweaked some.

Im nitpicking though and will shut up now.

You're going to make me replay that part of the game when I'm finished with my first playthrough, aren't you.

You know you wanna

Enkidu

My only beef with the current combat system comes from its slash-dodge type of gameplay. Theres little up close fighting and no strafe dodge. Most battles are fought and won by rolling around on the ground and smacking away when the enemies "drop their fucking guard". It works but I wish it was tweaked some.

Im nitpicking though and will shut up now.
I love the rolling though. Reminds me of JK2, and any game that reminds me of JK2 gets a lot of plus points. Although I guess I can see why it isn't for everyone.

Salaadin

I love the rolling though. Reminds me of JK2, and any game that reminds me of JK2 gets a lot of plus points. Although I guess I can see why it isn't for everyone.

JK2? Jedi Knight 2?
I never played that :(

I actually like the small combat tweaks they did since release. The adjusments to block and vigor were needed and made the combat a lot better.

Enkidu

JK2? Jedi Knight 2?
I never played that :(

I actually like the small combat tweaks they did since release. The adjusments to block and vigor were needed and made the combat a lot better.

Ah yes, Jedi Knight 2, sorry if that wasn't clear. The combat itself isn't really similar in those games but I was rolling around about as much in both games.

Personally, I haven't really noticed the changes to the combat that much. They might have made the combat better, but I don't really feel it. I never ever use the block though so that might have something to do with it.

Salaadin

Ah yes, Jedi Knight 2, sorry if that wasn't clear. The combat itself isn't really similar in those games but I was rolling around about as much in both games.

Personally, I haven't really noticed the changes to the combat that much. They might have made the combat better, but I don't really feel it. I never ever use the block though so that might have something to do with it.

I use block a lot. Early on, they had magic and blocking both tied to the vigor bar so that if you blocked too much, you couldnt use magic. If you used too much magic, you couldnt block. Completely screwed with my playstyle.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Currently trying to defeat the p
Operator (guardian of the van chamber)
on Hard and am finding it extremely difficult. Fuck this guy. Seriously, what a fucking cheap bastard.

Salaadin

Currently trying to defeat the p
Operator (guardian of the van chamber)
on Hard and am finding it extremely difficult. Fuck this guy. Seriously, what a fucking cheap bastard.

Lol, I had a hell of a time with him on normal. I cant imagine Hard mode. Its those gargoyles, man. Theyre nuts

Oh I finally finished the translated books after a bit of a Witcher break. Definitely firmly in team Triss now, Yenn is kind of a see-you-next-Tuesday.

RedSwirl

Has all the writing on the textures (walls, armor, etc.) in this game been confirmed to be in polish? If so, has it been translated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom